Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Seems like this deal will boil down if we can guarantee him game time. LVG will be in his ear about playtime with World cup coming up.

Most likely we will miss out on him and come back for him next season

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Seems like this deal will boil down if we can guarantee him game time. LVG will be in his ear about playtime with World cup coming up.

Most likely we will miss out on him and come back for him next season
I think its either Justin or Frenkie (since his budget is huge) this summer. Both can bring the ball up from defence -- that was always the obvious deficiency in our team.

Would be a bit redundant if we had both.

Wezzaldo

I think its either Justin or Frenkie (since his budget is huge) this summer. Both can bring the ball up from defence -- that was always the obvious deficiency in our team.

Would be a bit redundant if we had both.
I don’t agree it would be redundant at all. If the only player we have that can bring the ball out is De Jong, what happens when the opposition just plonk a player on top of him. Need more than one with that ability IMO.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Any chance we’d play him as the DM next to De Jong?
McTominay so far doesn't look ready to play with De Jong in two man midfield. Think Fred will be used all over the formation and become widely used sub in various tasks. Silently hoping Garner will quickly catch up to tempo and quality in first season is a bit wishful thinking...

If Only Maguire & Lindelof served their original purpose well, this could be possible, but so far we'll need Timber badly to boost defense to finally become press resistant. There's also thing with Bailly, Jones and now Varane with their fitness problems.

I trust ETH will find solution this summer, but it will inevitably raise spending in midfield & defense.

To answer in short: YES because Timber so far is our best candidate for DM as things stand now. We'll scout many DM's this summer, but are gonna go for one ? It's a good question for journos to ask ETH himself.

OpenIntrovert

Any chance we’d play him as the DM next to De Jong?
We might not be playing 2 DMs again. ETH may have a different type of tactic with 2 CMs, a DM sitting behind and a AM in front with two slightly wide strikers.

I also feel that McTominay has been judged too hastily by our fans. McTominay seems quite "lost" because he is a CM rather than a DM. He has all the attributes of a box to box midfielder but a DM has a completely different set of attributes altogether. A DM covers a large area of space where they need to read the direction of offense and quickly reduce the spaces so that they can intercept and also give time for the defence to organize. A CM is normally in charge of holding and forwarding possession of the ball with ball recovery only happening in areas where the defence/defensive-midfielder is not covering. CM's defensive approach is more of tracking back rather than reading the game, which is why McTominay tends to look lost when the opposition is attacking.

If McTominay plays as a CM alongside De Jong or Garner, our midfield would be much better than what it has been. Fred is also another player playing in the wrong position. He is actually a attacking midfielder but due to his tenacity, work rate and our lack of DMs (Matic cannot play every game), Ole played him at DM to support McTominay. In games where we may need to defend further upfront, Fred will be a very good option as a AM.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We might not be playing 2 DMs again. ETH may have a different type of tactic with 2 CMs, a DM sitting behind and a AM in front with two slightly wide strikers.

I also feel that McTominay has been judged too hastily by our fans. McTominay seems quite "lost" because he is a CM rather than a DM. He has all the attributes of a box to box midfielder but a DM has a completely different set of attributes altogether. A DM covers a large area of space where they need to read the direction of offense and quickly reduce the spaces so that they can intercept and also give time for the defence to organize. A CM is normally in charge of holding and forwarding possession of the ball with ball recovery only happening in areas where the defence/defensive-midfielder is not covering. CM's defensive approach is more of tracking back rather than reading the game, which is why McTominay tends to look lost when the opposition is attacking.

If McTominay plays as a CM alongside De Jong or Garner, our midfield would be much better than what it has been. Fred is also another player playing in the wrong position. He is actually a attacking midfielder but due to his tenacity, work rate and our lack of DMs (Matic cannot play every game), Ole played him at DM to support McTominay. In games where we may need to defend further upfront, Fred will be a very good option as a AM.
McTominay’s position is irrelevant, so long as the ball is still the same round thing.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
McTominay so far doesn't look ready to play with De Jong in two man midfield. Think Fred will be used all over the formation and become widely used sub in various tasks. Silently hoping Garner will quickly catch up to tempo and quality in first season is a bit wishful thinking...

If Only Maguire & Lindelof served their original purpose well, this could be possible, but so far we'll need Timber badly to boost defense to finally become press resistant. There's also thing with Bailly, Jones and now Varane with their fitness problems.

I trust ETH will find solution this summer, but it will inevitably raise spending in midfield & defense.

To answer in short: YES because Timber so far is our best candidate for DM as things stand now. We'll scout many DM's this summer, but are gonna go for one ? It's a good question for journos to ask ETH himself.
Bailly and Jones supposedly want to leave this summer & Tuanzebe is probably a go too

Noc-Z

ffs
If you're a very promising 20 year old, with some early success in the Netherlands with Ajax, you'd be very cautious about a move to United. You might think about the moves Depay and van de Beek made here. Of course, ten Hag is the key ingredient here, that's a comfort and major selling point to him. You've got Maguire - as bad as he is - who is an 80M established international and Varane with 4 Champions Leagues to his name and even Lindelof who Captains Sweden. That's not an easy sell. Would ten Hag make the call to drop Maguire/Lindelof and play Timber and Varane? Can he guarantee Timber he will be his number 1 CB and Varane will partner him until he's injured then Maguire/Lindelof will cover? Or will he be happy to come in now as a squad player and wait for his opportunity...meanwhile watching Maguire start ahead of him, because even though he's a liability, he cost 80M and is an England player and Captain? I don't think United are an easy sell to potential or established players at the moment. We have a long way to go.

Bestietom

We can't purchase de Jong 70/80 million and Nunez 85million and then Timber 35/40 million without selling some players. Then we will need a RB and WF and maybe another midfielder also.
Unless we sell some players quickly we could lose out on some players.

Red00012

We can't purchase de Jong 70/80 million and Nunez 85million and then Timber 35/40 million without selling some players. Then we will need a RB and WF and maybe another midfielder also.
Unless we sell some players quickly we could lose out on some players.
We deserve everything we get if we are willing to pay £85 Million for Nunez

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Fosu Mensah carbon copy

Because they're both Dutch?

Timber is an important player for a pretty impressive Ajax side and he's getting his feet wet in a Dutch NT with bonkers competition.
He played alongside Van Dijk and Ake, keeping De Ligt and De Vrij on the bench.

They're also different kinds of players. There is 0 similarity apart from nationality.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Bailly and Jones supposedly want to leave this summer & Tuanzebe is probably a go too
That leaves us even more vulnerable in case of seasonal injury wave.

I'm bit surrpised we didn't used Rangnick's connections to scout for defender for a right price from Bundesliga. Leaves ETH with more work and a further headache, when he'll see how fast United season can derail because of fitness issues.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

I'm bit surrpised we didn't used Rangnick's connections to scout for defender for a right price from Bundesliga. Leaves ETH with more work and a further headache, when he'll see how fast United season can derail because of fitness issues.
"Listen son. You have to come join this club where I'll be a 6hr pw consultant working from distance".

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

It’s the point I’ve been making to those who think CB isn’t important this summer.
Plus matic is gone so he can’t cover
Do we really want to go into another season with maguire Varane Lindelof? One has ongoing back issues and is dropped from the Swedish squad because off it, never mind his awful form last season. Another is made of glass. The other had a season to forget form wise too.

AB_89

Fosu Mensah carbon copy
I think a lot of clubs would be pretty pleased with a fit Fosu-Mensah. He has got a bags of potential and very good physical attributes.

Sadly injuries have wrecked his career, so far he has managed 15 games in 2 seasons at Leverkusen and is currently injured.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It’s the point I’ve been making to those who think CB isn’t important this summer.
Plus matic is gone so he can’t cover
Do we really want to go into another season with maguire Varane Lindelof? One has ongoing back issues and is dropped from the Swedish squad because off it, never mind his awful form last season. Another is made of glass. The other had a season to forget form wise too.
Lindelof had enough chances to prove his worth and Madrid sold us player who already had super huge career before reaching his 30s. Timber standalone is simply not enough to cover for everyone. We need not only pure quality but now also numbers in reliable defending pair plus useful backup.

Almost perfect time for scouting department to shine and manuever through dozens of options and choose smart. ETH will have the last word, but he can't do it alone. He'll need a right pool of players to choose from. I don't envy him at the moment, but I guess this is exactly why club appointed him.

Manage, manage and manage, no matter how hard it'll become.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
"Listen son. You have to come join this club where I'll be a 6hr pw consultant working from distance".
There are good numbers of players in Europe who would love to join United, especially in perspective to work with Ten Hag... but of course it's only United who see problem in just about everything.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Did he say hes not so wise if he makes the step now?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Which is why I don’t understand why he is our number 1 target. Clearly he‘s not been promised first team football.
Because that's the United way. We jump at the first perceived sign of greatness however inane it may be. Hopefully the scouting department did their research.

ti vu

Buy him, loan him back to Ajax and play him next season once ETH figured out our cb needs upgraded.
We're not in position allocate big fee in this window budget for future. Ajax would still ask a fair sum for him whether we allow him to stay back on loan or not because he's still very young with potential to improve even more, and getting into the NT, so his value is likely continue to appreciated into next summer.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think we're more likely to go for pau Torres, the links have gone cold.
Wasn't there a tweet of lvg implying that he won't pick him if he wasn't getting regular playing time?

Status
Not open for further replies.