Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Manos

à very bitter man indeed. Timber is a fool for listening to him though. You need confidence to play for United, sometbing he clearly seems to lack.

davidmichael

It’s not a threat, ffs. Ake gets into the team because he’s left footed and Van Gaal is a typical Dutch footy weirdo who must play with a left and a right footed CB for balance — especially in a back three. You should remember that!
In that case why not play Botman as the left sided centre back seeing as he’s on the wish list of a lot of top clubs and has played regularly for a couple of years including in the Champions League ? Why play Ake when he gets cup games at City when there’s a better left sided centre back in the squad ?

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
In that case why not play Botman as the left sided centre back seeing as he’s on the wish list of a lot of top clubs and has played regularly for a couple of years including in the Champions League ? Why play Ake when he gets cup games at City when there’s a better left sided centre back in the squad ?
Because Botman isn't good enough to be a defender in a Dutch team, same reason Ajax let him go.

RC89

If we want him specifically, any chance we go back in Jan/next summer?

MalaysianRed7

What we should have told him was “Jurrien, you will start the season as we have full belief in your abilities, and because our current starting centre backs are not playing well. If you don’t play well in the first ten or so games, you will be dropped. If it comes to that, you’re not good enough to go to the World Cup anyway.”

I imagine the conversation didn’t actually go down like that knowing the ineptitude of our negotiating team and this strange loyalty to Maguire, but if it did and he rejected the offer, then we’re not missing out on much anyway aside from another weak-minded player. From what I’ve seen though, he’s the exact opposite of that, and he’s also an excellent talent in terms of his footballing ability. I think we’ve just butchered another deal.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not to mention Ajax will likely be in a title race, it's just wishful thinking on the part of those thinking we'll sign him in January.
I'm honestly surprised there's so many people bringing up a January transfer. Like, why do people not only think they'd sell a key player in the midst of a title challenge and maybe a European cup run, but that Timber would pass up the opportunity to compete in the knockout rounds?

If this truly is dead, it's next summer or bust. I feel like ten Hag would've given him assurances about playing time as he obviously rates him incredibly highly, so I'm surprised Timber still didn't feel confident about joining now.

Trex

If Timber thinks he can't break into this united team even with a manager who knows all about his game and want to bring him in then it might just be a blessing in disguise, I always feel the best footballers are super confident borderline arrogant about their ability.

Mainoldo

What we should have told him was “Jurrien, you will start the season as we have full belief in your abilities, and because our current starting centre backs are not playing well. If you don’t play well in the first ten or so games, you will be dropped. If it comes to that, you’re not good enough to go to the World Cup anyway.”

I imagine the conversation didn’t actually go down like that knowing the ineptitude of our negotiating team and this strange loyalty to Maguire, but if it did and he rejected the offer, then we’re not missing out on much anyway aside from another weak-minded player. From what I’ve seen though, he’s the exact opposite of that, and he’s also an excellent talent in terms of his footballing ability. I think we’ve just butchered another deal.
Nice then he goes home and thinks... I start at Ajax anyway and even if I play bad they believe in my to play myself out of bad form. Plus I go to the World Cup.

Mainoldo

If Timber thinks he can't break into this united team even with a manager who knows all about his game and want to bring him in then it might just be a blessing in disguise, I always feel the best footballers are super confident borderline arrogant about their ability.
There is a world cup. You can’t just thinking from a United fan perspective. He’s only 20.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is a cnut. Players like Bergwijn start though he barely plays at Spurs. He doesnt hold that measure to everyone and it is also very recently that Bergwijn has been quality for the Dutch NT.
So you want to say that he puts his job in second place just to take a dig to Manchester United? Bloody hell people...

Trex

There is a world cup. You can’t just thinking from a United fan perspective. He’s only 20.
I know the world cup is coming up, and he wants to feature in it, but if he signs am sure he'll be prioritized over Lindelof being a long term project and would have Maguire or Varane to displace, Varane fitness is an issue and unlike Ole, ETH wouldn't have to always pick Maguire as he isn't his signing if his form doesn't pick up.
Its a challenge no doubt....I guess he isn't up for it.

NLunited

Yeah, he has form, for example, dropping Wijnaldum from the Nations League team because he was not starting for PSG. Can understand Timber not wanting to join with Varane and Maguire likely to start most games ahead of him. It's a real pity as I think he would improve our defence greatly.
Wijnaldum was dropped because he did not perform in the NT in his last games.

Timber does not want to sit on the bench most of the season, so he is making the right decision for his development.

MalaysianRed7

Nice then he goes home and thinks... I start at Ajax anyway and even if I play bad they believe in my to play myself out of bad form. Plus I go to the World Cup.
Ajax to Manchester United is a step up no matter the situation for many reasons. And I say this without red tinted glasses.

Mainoldo

I know the world cup is coming up, and he wants to feature in it, but if he signs am sure he'll be prioritized over Lindelof being a long term project and would have Maguire or Varane to displace, Varane fitness is an issue and unlike Ole, ETH wouldn't have to always pick Maguire as he isn't his signing if his form doesn't pick up.
Its a challenge no doubt....I guess he isn't up for it.
Why should he be prioritised? What’s he proved except us seeing some under performing CB our end?

Reality is we are buying potential. If we are serious about him we would sell Maguire or Lindelof.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ajax to Manchester United is a step up no matter the situation for many reasons. And I say this without red tinted glasses.
He is 20/21. Has a world Cup in 6 months. It's perfectly reasonable to stay 1 more year where you'll have a stable development, play the world Cup, then move on next year. It's the smart thing to do for himself.

Zen86

van Gaal really is a miserable old tw*t. He needs to get over the fact he was a shit manager for us and rightly got the boot.

marktan

Always said Van Gaal was the worst manager we had post SAF. Completely gutted SAF's team and signed utter dross to replace them.

Yorke to Cole

Always said Van Gaal was the worst manager we had post SAF. Completely gutted SAF's team and signed utter dross to replace them.
Can not stand the man. Bored everyone to death with his style of football. I think he is completely overrated. Failed to get into the top 4, let alone mount a title challenge in the season Leicester won the title.

Bloedrood

Netherlands prefers ball playing defenders, good passers. Same reason why Ajax let him go. Botman isn't as highly rated in the Netherlands in that regard, and even he himself says that style of play doesn't really suit him. And especially when Netherlands plays with 3 center backs like they do recently, and the left center back role that Aké plays also takes on some left back duties, that suits Botman even less.

Stadjer

He is a cnut. Players like Bergwijn start though he barely plays at Spurs. He doesnt hold that measure to everyone and it is also very recently that Bergwijn has been quality for the Dutch NT.
The difference is that we got loads of good defenders (VVD, de Vrij, de Ligt, Ake, Timber and even someone like Botman who isnt even called up eventhough he does very well in France) who can take Timber his starting spot. We do have shit attackers. Memphis is good on his day but thats about it? Bergwijn who doesnt play a lot is still a better option than Gakpo, Malen or Vincent Janssen.

I think Timber will be a starter if he plays for his club and his form doesnt drop. He is very much a Louis van Gaal defender. However he isnt that much better than de Ligt that van Gaal will play a not playing Timber over de Ligt who plays every week in the Serie A.

Stadjer

à very bitter man indeed. Timber is a fool for listening to him though. You need confidence to play for United, sometbing he clearly seems to lack.
The whole Ajax idea is to be confident, they are even considered arrogant because they are so confident. They literally say ''we are Ajax, we are the best.'' I dont think anyone from Ajax will suffer from a confidence problem.

MalaysianRed7

He is 20/21. Has a world Cup in 6 months. It's perfectly reasonable to stay 1 more year where you'll have a stable development, play the world Cup, then move on next year. It's the smart thing to do for himself.
That’s true, but I’m looking at it from a United point of view. It clearly shows another player who doesn’t really want to come, or is at the very least, hesitating. It just annoys me when I consider the fact that by all accounts, personal terms were agreed and he already said yes before Van Gaal’s comments.

dubplate warrior

I’m glad this one has fallen through. We can always try next year and I really think we need someone ready to walk straight into the first team like a Pau
Timber alongside FDJ would automatically make us one of the best teams in the league at building out from the back, he is a big talent.

Wijnaldum was dropped because he did not perform in the NT in his last games.
Ah ok, I thought it was only cause he wasn't playing for PSG. I read before that Van Gaal had said "Unfortunately, little has changed in Gini's situation at his club since our last two international matches in March. As a result, I am forced to make other choices, no matter how difficult and regrettable I personally find it.” So my assumption was that this was the only reason, but I have read now he also said it was because of being out of form during the Nations League games.

Caesar2290

Not sure really. We've seen what 1 season of poor coaching/development can do to a players value. Case in point: Manchester United last season.

Timber in my opinion made a mistake in not following ETH. Erik would have guaranteed playing time to the young Dutchman. Also Timber had the advantage of being one of the few players who actually is already in Erik Ball. He would have definitely featured in our first team.

At the same time Ajax have a new coach. We've seen how ETH's product's haven't exactly been pulling any trees at other clubs so far. They've yet to reach their Ajax CL heights.

To the people saying: "He has our 80 million pound captain and Varane playing ahead of him". For starters Maguire hasn't been pulling any trees in the past 18 months and Varane has struggled to play more than 4 consecutive matches for quiet a while. The opportunities are there. Timber just didn't take them.

Caesar2290

Or Van Gaal was thinking purely from the perspective of an international manager and when asked by a squad player told them “well you need to be a regular at club level to make the 23”. Like any sensible international manager.

I can’t stand Van Gaal from his awful time here, but these conspiracy theories are utter nonsense.
Here is a quote from one of the most reliable Dutch jurno's and ETH's buddy. If says this then I can assure you that he got this scoop from Erik himself.

As a sidenote: learn the meaning of the word conspiracy before posting it on a public forum.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
We can’t guarantee any footballer at the moment that we’re a stable enough side to further develop them as a player. Sure we have an exciting coach in Ten Hagg, but the squad’s state is in the pits. Players will really have to trust Ten Hagg that he will turn this ship around for them to join us, as I don’t want people to simply agree to join us because we’ve added a higher digit to their weekly salary.

Timber appears to play RCB for Netherlands. I don’t think we can guarantee that he’ll consistently start ahead of Varane and Maguire. I’d love it if we had him as a right back, but that’s not where LVG will play in in the World Cup and the latter is stubborn and awkward enough to use that against Timber.

phelans shorts

Here is a quote from one of the most reliable Dutch jurno's and ETH's buddy. If says this then I can assure you that he got this scoop from Erik himself.

As a sidenote: learn the meaning of the word conspiracy before posting it on a public forum.

That doesn’t dispel a single word that I said.

Might want to learn the meaning of some words there, buddy.

Abraxas

I don't think Timber is the fool.

Maybe he's a player guided by sporting development, not jumping ship the first time a team from a major league sticks a big contract in front of you. Having some self awareness that he needs to develop and secure his international spot and realising Ajax is the best place for him seems like a reasoned idea. He can revisit it next season.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Im glad we’re keeping him but I would have loved to see him at UTD. Kid is a future star.
Going to be expensive after a good WC and other CL season.

Caesar2290

That doesn’t dispel a single word that I said.

Might want to learn the meaning of some words there, buddy.
No U :lol:

It does, because the author specifically stated that Timber was ready to join us until LVG told him that unless he is guaranteed first teamer he won't feature. Funny how that doesn't apply to the likes of Ake or Bergwijn.

phelans shorts

No U :lol:

It does, because the author specifically stated that Timber was ready to join us until LVG told him that unless he is guaranteed first teamer he won't feature. Funny how that doesn't apply to the likes of Ake or Bergwijn.
So that first bit is exactly what I said? Great work, Sherlock.

The latter has been covered ad nauseum.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If I was Timber I would also have some reservations about getting in front of Varane, Maguire & Lindelof in a world cup year. It will do him no harm at all to wait one more year before his next move.

Status
Not open for further replies.