Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We’ve done a lot of business with them in recent years and are on good terms. Donny, Blind, ETH etc.

Ajax are a proper club and we treat them respectfully.
Does this mean we send them the good proper respectful negotiation team and the fact we think other clubs deserve less respect explain our appalling transfer game?

Maybe we should start treating other clubs respectfully?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hardly any of that mistake video was to do with his ability in the air so I doubt that.
Also that video is mental. Every player misplaces passes, if you compile that and put into single video, it looks awful.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can 100% guarantee that Ajax will not sell Timber for EUR35 million.

He is really, really good though, so if he leaves, I hope he follows EtH to United (along with FdJ ofcourse). I have zero doubts he will cope with the physicality of the league. This guy is the real deal.
What would you expect? De Ligt went for nearly £70m, but that price was a little inflated owing to your successes (EL final and CL semi's by the time he was 19). I'd say around £40-45m seems fair?

marktan

We really need to stop wasting like 30% of our transfer budget every summer on a CB. We have many international defenders who look crap because the rest of our team, the midfield in particular, is so bad. Varane doesn't suddenly look so poor for no reason.

Our transfer strategy over the past 5 years every summer seems to be one big 80m signing (Pogba, Lukaku, Maguire, Sancho) and then 2 other players, one of whom is a CB (Bailly, Lindelof, Varane).

If we go the same way again this year with FDJ for 70m, timber or another CB for 30-40m, I'm sorry but it's just the same old problems of old of really poor recruitment and squad building. 3-4 £40m-£50m signings on areas we actually need to improve does us a world more good.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ajax will demand diuble that figure. The Turkish journalist is a verified bullshitter.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We really need to stop wasting like 30% of our transfer budget every summer on a CB. We have many international defenders who look crap because the rest of our team, the midfield in particular, is so bad. Varane doesn't suddenly look so poor for no reason.

Our transfer strategy over the past 5 years every summer seems to be one big 80m signing (Pogba, Lukaku, Maguire, Sancho) and then 2 other players, one of whom is a CB (Bailly, Lindelof, Varane).

If we go the same way again this year with FDJ for 70m, timber or another CB for 30-40m, I'm sorry but it's just the same old problems of old of really poor recruitment and squad building.
So you think two midfielders and stick with Maguire? And just not press or play a high line?

marktan

So you think two midfielders and stick with Maguire? And just not press or play a high line?
Maguire had a bad season but so did all our defenders. He was very good last season and for England, he can play whatever role we want for him.

The problem is if we continue the CB merry go around, we'll never improve the rest of the team. You could put Van Djik into this team but if you don't have Fabinho and Thiago/Henderson in front of him, Salah on the RW, a good striker in Firmino/Mane, you'll leak goals and not win games. Those positions are far more important for me than CB. Between Lindelof, Bailly, Varane and Maguire you have 4 starting international defenders, if you can't make that work then you really have to start questioning what's going on.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Ajax will demand diuble that figure. The Turkish journalist is a verified bullshitter.
Only 2 players have fetched that price leaving Ajax. 35 million for a 20 year old who cost nothing is not a bad deal. It's the Ajax's business model in a nutshell. Amazing club.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Also that video is mental. Every player misplaces passes, if you compile that and put into single video, it looks awful.
That video made me want him more, because the mistakes were so trivial for a 19/20 year old. Shock, a player doesn't have 100% passing accuracy.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Maguire had a bad season but so did all our defenders. He was very good last season and for England, he can play whatever role we want for him.

The problem is if we continue the CB merry go around, we'll never improve the rest of the team. You could put Van Djik into this team but if you don't have Fabinho and Thiago/Henderson in front of him, Salah on the RW, a good striker in Firmino/Mane, you'll leak goals and not win games. Those positions are far more important for me than CB. Between Lindelof, Bailly, Varane and Maguire you have 4 starting international defenders, if you can't make that work then you really have to start questioning what's going on.

He wasn't as bad last season. But he's never been very good in a United shirt. And with England he sits deep and with two holders, so he has a very specific skill set, he most certainly can not be whatever we want him to be.

Yes I agree we are a very unforgiving team for defenders to play in, but that is a separate issue.

Maguire is not Van Djik, and while Liverpool are set up more compactly, that is not the only difference between Harry and him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That video made me want him more, because the mistakes were so trivial for a 19/20 year old. Shock, a player doesn't have 100% passing accuracy.
Exactly. I don't know why people worry too much about lowlight videos, you can make any player look like shit with those.

RkkMan

Having a good midfield didn't stop City from spending millions on CBs. Having VVD and a good midfield didn't stop Liverpool from getting Konate. We shouldn't be the top team constantly having to accommodate average players. Maguire only looked good before under Ole and England because both played/play counter attacking football with the England mostly using a back 3. It's no surprise Maguire has been shocking the moment Ole tried to be more expansive because he simply can't play in a high line.
Of the 4 Utd CBs you've mentioned Bailly is leaving so we have to buy a CB anyway and only Varane and Lindelof are worth keeping but the former has a questionable injury record while the latter is a squad player at best.

justsomebloke

Having a good midfield didn't stop City from spending millions on CBs. Having VVD and a good midfield didn't stop Liverpool from getting Konate. We shouldn't be the top team constantly having to accommodate average players. Maguire only looked good before under Ole and England because both played/play counter attacking football with the England mostly using a back 3. It's no surprise Maguire has been shocking the moment Ole tried to be more expansive because he simply can't play in a high line.
Of the 4 Utd CBs you've mentioned Bailly is leaving so we have to buy a CB anyway and only Varane and Lindelof are worth keeping but the former has a questionable injury record while the latter is a squad player at best.
For the umpteenth time, United didn't play counterattack football under Ole, at least not since Bruno Fernandes arrived. Personally I wouldn't say England really does that either, more of a control game.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hardly any of that mistake video was to do with his ability in the air so I doubt that.
I posted that video because I saw it when it was reccomended to me on youtube.

I didnt make it looking for his mistakes nor did i search for it.

I have no idea how good or bad he is, the only question i have over him is how attacking prone he tends to be and if it can effect him in the PL or even his team mates.

plenty of good side to his game though like his aggresive atpressing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I have no idea how good or bad he is, the only question i have over him is how attacking prone he tends to be and if it can effect him in the PL or even his team mates.

This just comes down to how you want us to play football. If you want us to be more attacking, that starts from the back by bringing the ball forward aggresively. If you want to be more conservative and not have your CBs take risks, then you'll get more conservative football - especially in the prem as teams are extremely well drilled in being compact.

marktan

He wasn't as bad last season. But he's never been very good in a United shirt. And with England he sits deep and with two holders, so he has a very specific skill set, he most certainly can not be whatever we want him to be.

Yes I agree we are a very unforgiving team for defenders to play in, but that is a separate issue.

Maguire is not Van Djik, and while Liverpool are set up more compactly, that is not the only difference between Harry and him.
My point more succinctly is that while yes, you can always improve on the defenders, the more pressing issue is the rest of the team - namely a DM, CM, RW and striker. We only have a finite budget per year and have spent too many years spending money on a CB + one big money signing and then wondering why the rest of the team still looks crap.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I do have some sympathy for our centre backs, and don't think its entirely fair to be judging them on last season. It must be very difficult for them. On the one hand they don't receive sufficient protection from our midfield when out of possession, and even when in possession we have been so bad at keeping the ball that it wouldn't give them any confidence to push up and close the lines. I'd like to see how they fare in a more organised system before deciding who is fit for purpose.

None of this is to say that we shouldn't be looking at or signing Timber if he offers us something we don't already have.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I can 100% guarantee that Ajax will not sell Timber for EUR35 million.

He is really, really good though, so if he leaves, I hope he follows EtH to United (along with FdJ ofcourse). I have zero doubts he will cope with the physicality of the league. This guy is the real deal.
Out of the two, is Lisandro Martinez better? I get the feeling he's a bit more assured.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
My point more succinctly is that while yes, you can always improve on the defenders, the more pressing issue is the rest of the team - namely a DM, CM, RW and striker. We only have a finite budget per year and have spent too many years spending money on a CB + one big money signing and then wondering why the rest of the team still looks crap.
I think it's just the press and their simple 'team concedes goals' = 'centre backs must be terrible' that is generating these links. It should be one of our lowest priorities for the summer. They clearly don't have a clue who our targets are.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I did think this :lol: You can probably doctor Ronaldo to look like Lukaku in general play if we played the same game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Ah, fair enough.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I do have some sympathy for our centre backs, and don't think its entirely fair to be judging them on last season. It must be very difficult for them. On the one hand they don't receive sufficient protection from our midfield when out of possession, and even when in possession we have been so bad at keeping the ball that it wouldn't give them any confidence to push up and close the lines. I'd like to see how they fare in a more organised system before deciding who is fit for purpose.

None of this is to say that we shouldn't be looking at or signing Timber if he offers us something we don't already have.
Agree.
Our defence certainly has some issues but they've been horribly exposed at times through the lack of protection from the middle, that being from poor movement or just a lack of composure and talent in front of them.
Matic is still our most consistent midfielder when in possession. McTominay, if you can find him, Bruno, Pogba, Fred are all inconsistent with their passing and positioning.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Weren't you the huge Memphis fan? That was also an "NL". Maybe my memory is failing me.

But yeah Ajax fan always rave about this kid, which says a lot about his potential.
You’re thinking of the infamous NL Max.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If that's all the mistakes that YouTuber could find from a teenager in his first full season playing as the last line of defence in such a unique attacking fashion, I'm even more sold on him. Especially as the guy was reaching to include a lot of those clips.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

We’ve had enough years of Lindelof to say he’s not the required standard. He’s awful, midfield or no midfield

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We’ve had enough years of Lindelof to say he’s not the required standard. He’s awful, midfield or no midfield
I've got a soft spot for Lindelof. Carries the ball out of defence well and is capable of a good passing level for a CB. If we are looking at Timber for largely those qualities, and it seems that we are, then having Lindelof as his understudy/competition wouldn't be a bad idea.

TsuWave

Wait what? Had this been confirmed? Why are people talking as if it has?

UpWithRivers

I find it mad that he has a twin brother who is a midfielder and not so good. Its an interesting case study right there. Maybe someone should buy him and play him at CB and get a clone on the cheap :-)

Ed9

Transfermarkt has him at 6' and they're usually more accurate than sources like Wikipedia who's got him at 5'10''. He's still young, maybe he's grown since he got first measured?

Teja

Yep it's mostly misplaced passes but a couple of concerning defensive issues where he was basically shrugged off by a stronger striker (One against Haaland, and a couple in the dutch league).

The PL has an abundance of those, so I think that's a concern.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Out of the two, is Lisandro Martinez better? I get the feeling he's a bit more assured.
At the moment, Martinez. But Martinez is 3ish years older and also way better in the air, even though he's shorter.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I've got a soft spot for Lindelof. Carries the ball out of defence well and is capable of a good passing level for a CB. If we are looking at Timber for largely those qualities, and it seems that we are, then having Lindelof as his understudy/competition wouldn't be a bad idea.
No soft spot here. He’s a serious weak link in the defence. Get shot of him.
timber might be smaller but he’s aggressive not passive and his ball carrying Is excellent. I knew Lindelof wouldnt make it at this standard from day one, how it’s taking so long for others to come to that conclusion I wouldn’t know. It’s like a mass hysteria

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Timber is around 5'11/6'0, not 5'8.

I doubt we will let him go for 35mil EUR as well. I expect a price between 37/40 million Pound(and that is selling him cheaply due to ETH). The guy is our best player, versitile, young and on his way to become one of the best in the world. Maybe throw in another UTD player.
I saw Goldbridge talking about him expecting a price of 30 million pound, not gonna happen.

Bojan Djordjic

I’ve heard Ajax fans say this too, albeit not by much. Martinez is supposed to be a really quality passer. I think with Timber it’s the potential to improve and Martinez is even smaller!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If that's all the mistakes that YouTuber could find from a teenager in his first full season playing as the last line of defence in such a unique attacking fashion, I'm even more sold on him. Especially as the guy was reaching to include a lot of those clips.
precisely

Status
Not open for further replies.