Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I cant think of many 20 year olds that have been successful CB's. That and his height makes him a gamble and a project. Is that really what we need to be doing? I can only trust that Ten Haag knows best. But there is no way he comes in as first choice and dislodges Maguire, Varane or even Lindelof. He will be 4th choice, one for the future signing. Or if he starts then he is a one in a generation talent
You give our CBs too much credit especially Lindelof who can’t head

so we won’t be better off that way but he brings speed, aggressiveness, proactive and carries the ball very well. For me he’s an upgrade even at 20

SATA

Which of De Ligt and Timber do Ajax fans rate higher and have the higher ceiling, having seen both rise up from your academy and into the first team?

Yagami

Good post resistant
De Ligt moved at age 19/20. He's been doing well for Juve. Fans are excited that he extended his contract and want him as the captain. Ajax fans (including me) think Timber is deffo ready for the step up. The kid is amazing. I'll be gutted if he leaves.
I'm actually excited at the thought of signing Timber not just because he looks incredible, but (courtesy of @Ajaxsuarez for bringing him to my attention) because it could also play a part in Aertssen playing for your senior team sooner. He looks like he may even end up being better on the ball than Timber from the very few clips I've seen. Just steamrolls through opposition.

Art

Art the artist
His versatility reminds me of Kimmich in how many diff positions he can play and how comfortable he is with the ball. Im hope united are back to buying players based on their footballing ability rather than physical attributes.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I'm actually excited at the thought of signing Timber not just because he looks incredible, but (courtesy of @Ajaxsuarez for bringing him to my attention) because it could also play a part in Aertssen playing for your senior team sooner. He looks like he may even end up being better on the ball than Timber from the very few clips I've seen. Just steamrolls through opposition.
haha nah Aertssen will hopefully feature as a starter for the reserves next season in the second tier, but he's been with the U19s still all season this year so it's very unlikely Ajax deem him capable of making the step up yet.

if a youth player were to take up Timber's spot it would most likely be Rensch, who was immense in the youth in that position as well (also fantastic on the ball), but Rensch has looked really off it this season whenever he's featured (usually as a fullback still). He comes across a bit dim in interviews as well, and looks like he plays without any concentration this season

Last edited:

dutchred

Which of De Ligt and Timber do Ajax fans rate higher and have the higher ceiling, having seen both rise up from your academy and into the first team?
Different type of players. De Ligt is more an old fashioned type of defender, physical and good in the air but also good on the ball. Not particularly quick though not slow. Timber is better with the ball, good at getting the ball of attackers in 1 on 1, good dribbler and excellent acceleration. Has a good leap though not as good as de Ligt in the air. Of the 2 I prefer Timber, he is so versatile and aggressive and good at getting the midfielders and attackers into the game

Yagami

Good post resistant
haha nah Aertssen will hopefully feature as a starter for the reserves next season in the second tier, but he's been with the U19s still all season this year so it's very unlikely Ajax deem him capable of making the step up yet.
Ha, yeah, probably is too soon! I can't wait to see him play in your first team, though. Definitely keeping an eye out for any appearances he makes.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
still probably De Ligt. Absolute unit and more suited to other playing styles than the Ajax one.

JeffFromHK

He is only 1.79. I am worried that he will be Blind 2.0 here and got bullied in the air.

Trex

I'm beginning to think Eric wants to play with a back three, He agrees our current squad got second place so has potential Maguire was a big part of that.
Prioritizing CB makes sense that way, also considering AWB out since He has no natural role in such a set up.

Timber Varane Maguire
New RWB Frankie Fred Shaw
Sancho Fernandes
New Striker
This makes sense considering the rumours.

SATA

Blind can take care of himself in the air. Have never really seen him lose a duel which directly resulted in a goal unless i have forgotten?

dutchred

Did Blind really get bullied in the air?
Blind only got done for pace.
Also we have a keeper and another Centre Half, so not all all high balls will be his to handle. Not all teams in the PL play with a tall CF. For the teams that do that a good a manger will ensure that the source of the long balls are cut out. Ajax played with Timber and Martinez (both under 6 feet) and hardly conceded all season. Most of the goals they conceded were counters due to the high line, and most of those were when we were already 2 or 3 up

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He is only 1.79. I am worried that he will be Blind 2.0 here and got bullied in the air.
Blind was excellent in a lot of ways though, and the bigger issue was physically he was weak and slow. The lack of height I don't think was that much of an issue, especially as Smalling pretty much had free reign to go for every aerial ball and they had a good understanding between them. Timber is much faster, stronger and more aggressive than Blind. Not as good on the ball with his passing, but it's not really much of relevant comparison in the first place.

Darlington Padgett

Also we have a keeper and another Centre Half, so not all all high balls will be his to handle. Not all teams in the PL play with a tall CF. For the teams that do that a good a manger will ensure that the source of the long balls are cut out. Ajax played with Timber and Martinez (both under 6 feet) and hardly conceded all season. Most of the goals they conceded were counters due to the high line, and most of those were when we were already 2 or 3 up
I'm not saying he will be a problem but mentioning we have a keeper that will deal with those high balls is not accurate :lol:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Think this is more plausible. Blind and Smalling was still by far our best partnership if you ask me since SAF retired.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He literally didn’t though? Name one game Blind got bullied in? I recall everyone saying he would get bullied by Lukaku before proceeding to absolutely dominate him all game, very underrated player.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Ha, yeah, probably is too soon! I can't wait to see him play in your first team, though. Definitely keeping an eye out for any appearances he makes.
it's crazy to think though that at exactly his age today (well really his age last friday to be exact), De Ligt was starting a Europa League final.

dutchred

Imagine we don't get him now (for +_ 30M). In 2 years time his is worth 100 M and all the posters here who complain about his height will be complaining about why we didn't buy him when we could for 30M. This guy is a one off.

Yagami

Good post resistant
it's crazy to think though that at exactly his age today (well really his age last friday to be exact), De Ligt was starting a Europa League final.
I remember him being dominant in that game, too. I have to say that, despite De Ligt having the better pedigree of performing well in a European final and against all those top clubs in your impressive 18/19 CL run, I've never been as sold on him as I am on Timber.
Imagine we don't get him now (for +_ 30M). In 2 years time his is worth 100 M and all the posters here who complain about his height will be complaining about why we didn't buy him when we could for 30M. This guy is a one off.
I'm telling you, man; listen to @Ajaxsuarez . It won't be long until people are talking about "the new Timber" in Aertssen.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He literally didn’t though? Name one game Blind got bullied in? I recall everyone saying he would get bullied by Lukaku before proceeding to absolutely dominate him all game, very underrated player.
Yes and no. Blind faced Lukaku twice that season, and while he did (hilariously) dominate him in one of the matches he had a lot more trouble in the other and relied on Smalling to bail him out a few times. Lukaku also isn't the best yardstick as he's unbelievably bad at actually using his physical gifts properly.

Blind certainly didn't get punished as much as most people thought he would do in that position, but it still did happen at times. But from all accounts Timber is faster, stronger, more aggressive and a better athlete, so it's really only the height and aerial ability that is comparable.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I'm beginning to think Eric wants to play with a back three, He agrees our current squad got second place so has potential Maguire was a big part of that.
Prioritizing CB makes sense that way, also considering AWB out since He has no natural role in such a set up.

Timber Varane Maguire
New RWB Frankie Fred Shaw
Sancho Fernandes
New Striker
This makes sense considering the rumours.
I think it will be 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1… he likes one of his fullbacks to be able to play cb aswell so when his teams are attacking it forms a back 3 with 1 full back tucking in and the other full back joining in with the attacks. If he’s signing timber to play as our rb then it makes sense that during the games you’ll most likely see a back 3 at some point when we’re controlling the game.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think it will be 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1… he likes one of his fullbacks to be able to play cb aswell so when his teams are attacking it forms a back 3 with 1 full back tucking in and the other full back joining in with the attacks. If he’s signing timber to play as our rb then it makes sense that during the games you’ll most likely see a back 3 at some point when we’re controlling the game.
Yeah it's why the people saying buy a RB instead of playing Timber there doesn't make sense.

Shaw likes to step forward with the ball and has also looked good as part of a back 3 so both RB and LB would seem comfortable stepping into midfield or forming that back 3.

We really would need a sitting midfielder if we're going to recreate those tactics though. We've got no one capable of being the other man in that 2 in front of the 3 at the moment.

NewYorkRed

I haven’t seen a lot of Ajax. So he only likes one FB to attack when in possession? If true then Sancho def can’t play on the right in that system with a RB that doesn’t overlap.

Trex

I haven’t seen a lot of Ajax. So he only likes one FB to attack when in possession? If true then Sancho def can’t play on the right in that system with a RB that doesn’t overlap.
We can though what Sancho needs is a player to link up with and it mustn't be the fullback, could be the an advance midfielder playing in the channel.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yeap. He got bullied in the air by Nunez when Ajax played Benfica. In fact in one occasion, he was outjumped by Nunez and it led to a goal.

But there arent many Virgils or Rios who are 6ft 4, fast, physical and skilful.

I can see getting Jurien. He will be part of the puzzle of defending a high line and also transitioning the ball from defence to attack faster.

NoPace

My guess is we buy Timber and his position depends on who else we can buy. Ten Hag might figure that the day we bring him in he's first choice as a #6 or a RB and if we can't bring in a better #6, then Dalot gets the opportunity at RB, and if we can bring in a quality DM, then Timber at RB. Or 3 at the back and that way he can help the midfield by stepping into midfield as we'd still have 2 CBs behind him in Varane and the new LCB (or god help us Maguire or Lindelof).

Basically, I think we'll buy Timber but I have no idea where he'll start, but he'll be first choice somewhere, presumably along with Cristiano, Sancho, Bruno, VDB, Varane, De Gea and that still leaves a fairly massive number of 4 starting spots left, so maybe 3 more buys and maybe Fred or one of the left backs or Maguire.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We’ll see…
You can believe what you want, but the most reliable info we have is still from Timber himself where he said he was staying at Ajax, similairly to how Gravenberch nipped all the transfer talk in the bud last summer. Low and behold he ended up staying for another year.
Ajax have already lost Mazraoui, Gravenberch and Onana and they're wealthy enough to say no.

There have been no reliable reports on Timber leaving. Goldshite is making stuff up so he can find ways to fill his daily 3 hours. He's the British Rush Limbaugh.

I also don't think the transfer makes much sense given ETH always plays left footed LCBs. We have 0 left footed CBs as it stands.

evil_geko

People still going on about height? Ffs, we will be playing high line under ETH, we will rarely be crossed at.

redshaw

I remember Blind getting pushed off the ball a few times, one might've been against Leicester, like shoulder to shoulder type stuff. Our players tend to look for fouls when eased off but they're never given and we then concede

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I remember Blind getting pushed off the ball a few times, one might've been against Leicester, like shoulder to shoulder type stuff. Our players tend to look for fouls when eased off but they're never given and we then concede
How often did tall and strong Varane and Maguire cause us to concede?

Ralph1386

My guess is we buy Timber and his position depends on who else we can buy. Ten Hag might figure that the day we bring him in he's first choice as a #6 or a RB and if we can't bring in a better #6, then Dalot gets the opportunity at RB, and if we can bring in a quality DM, then Timber at RB. Or 3 at the back and that way he can help the midfield by stepping into midfield as we'd still have 2 CBs behind him in Varane and the new LCB (or god help us Maguire or Lindelof).
Has he ever been played as a #6? And if so, how often? I thought he was mainly a CB who sometimes played as a RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.