Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavern in the town

He's an inch taller than Cannavaro was. He'll be grand.

I reckon if he signs, he'll play more at RB anyway.
Not really. You can’t use anomalies like Cannavaro to make your point. That’s like saying we don’t need athleticism in midfield because Pirlo was fine. Those players are freaks. 5ft 10 as a centre back in the Premier League is not going to cut it.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Not really. You can’t use anomalies like Cannavaro to make your point. That’s like saying we don’t need athleticism in midfield because Pirlo was fine. Those players are freaks. 5ft 10 as a centre back in the Premier League is not going to cut it.
This ought to age well, and I’m sure will be quoted in coming months.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Do people think he's being bought to play mainly as a centre back with our non-leader CBs alongside him? I'm guessing he's being pursued for his versatility, and that he'll end up playing mainly as a RB.

StonedhamsterZA

I’m all for a hungry young player with bags of potential. Just makes me slightly uncomfortable that even the caf isn’t sure where he is going to play.

Just wary of a Jack of All, O’Shea type of player. Wish we could sign a player that shores up a position.

Maybe it’s just me being negative.

Blood Mage

I can't believe some people are still moaning about his height, jesus. Football has evolved.

Tavern in the town

I can't believe some people are still moaning about his height, jesus. Football has evolved.
Has it? Which successful team plays small centre halves seeing as football has “evolved” so much? Even Pep’s centre backs are tall, the only small centre back they have is Ake and he plays half his games at full back.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Do people think he's being bought to play mainly as a centre back with our non-leader CBs alongside him? I'm guessing he's being pursued for his versatility, and that he'll end up playing mainly as a RB.
Not hard to imagine, given he plays centre back.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This from an Ajax fan I know : “Quite short for a CB 1.79m. Still good in the air, and as you can imagine very good on the ball, dribbling, passing etc. Very quick, good with tackling, recoveries and 1-on-1's. “

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not hard to imagine, given he plays centre back.
But these concerns about height are completely valid. And he plays both as a centre back and a right back. AWB was the first brief (it looked like anyway) by the club that he was out the door. We're hardly going with Dalot as a first choice right back. And as soon as we were linked with Timber, we started to be linked with his centre back partner at Ajax and Pau Torres.

We shall see.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Most likely right back in my opinion. Benching Dalot and AWB for him makes far more sense than Maguire or Varane at this stage.

DevTheRed

Sounds like he would really excel in a back 3.. given the freedom to step up and bring the ball out. Might be the plan for next season?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Most likely right back in my opinion. Benching Dalot and AWB for him makes far more sense than Maguire or Varane at this stage.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I do suspect Ten Hag wants an alternative to Maguire too to play a high line. He does need a talker at the back though, we currently have none and there aren't too many of the younger ones who come in with that authority. Pau Torres for instance has been next to Albiol who is the leader at the back.

Wezzaldo

With the tactics that Ten Hag employs with CBs really high up the pitch, I’m sure his his pace and 1v1 defending is far more important than his aerial prowess.

poleglass red

be ideal if he was a bit taller, but the game has changed. I haven't seen the lad play, but his positioning and attacking the ball in the air would more what I'd look for. Lindelof is 6ft 2, yet terrible in the air. I remember back in the day another 5ft 10 centre half, Kevin Moran. He played in an era where target men were standard, he suffered a few broken bones along the way, but his toughness overcame any issues with his height. As I say we have moved on in that regard.

Tavern in the town

be ideal if he was a bit taller, but the game has changed. I haven't seen the lad play, but his positioning and attacking the ball in the air would more what I'd look for. Lindelof is 6ft 2, yet terrible in the air. I remember back in the day another 5ft 10 centre half, Kevin Moran. He played in an era where target men were standard, he suffered a few broken bones along the way, but his toughness overcame any issues with his height. As I say we have moved on in that regard.
People keep saying football has moved on but it hasn’t really. City’s centre halves are tall. Liverpool’s are man mountains. The best defenders in the league that don’t play for those teams (Rudiger, Romero, Fofana etc.) are all tall. Can’t think of a single top centre back in the Premier League today that is small.

Irwin99

Might be worth pointing out that Blind was rarely bullied in the premier league and he's around the same height. In fact I seem to remember him pocketing Lukaku pretty easily in a couple of important games.

If it doesn't work at centre back then he seems a very talented natural footballer who you could play at full back or as a third centre back. Seems an exciting signing :devil:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
People keep saying football has moved on but it hasn’t really. City’s centre halves are tall. Liverpool’s are man mountains. The best defenders in the league that don’t play for those teams (Rudiger, Romero, Fofana etc.) are all tall. Can’t think of a single top centre back in the Premier League today that is small.
Silva

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I do suspect Ten Hag wants an alternative to Maguire too to play a high line. He does need a talker at the back though, we currently have none and there aren't too many of the younger ones who come in with that authority. Pau Torres for instance has been next to Albiol who is the leader at the back.
I think the Maguire not being able to play a high line is overblown for a manager that had Blind at CB. Besides, there would be plenty of game time available in both positions with Varane's injury proneness and Europa league games.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I think the Maguire not being able to play a high line is overblown for a manager that had Blind at CB. Besides, there would be plenty of game time available in both positions with Varane's injury proneness and Europa league games.

Conor

Worried about his height, wasn't Di Maria the same height?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But these concerns about height are completely valid. And he plays both as a centre back and a right back. AWB was the first brief (it looked like anyway) by the club that he was out the door. We're hardly going with Dalot as a first choice right back. And as soon as we were linked with Timber, we started to be linked with his centre back partner at Ajax and Pau Torres.

We shall see.
‘He plays both as a centre back and a right back’ is a highly misleading statement. There is no ambiguity over his primary role. He plays centre half every week, for a club that has other options at centre half on the bench.

didz

Worried about his height, wasn't Di Maria the same height?
I was gonna say it would make way more sense to get Timber's partner, but then again Lisandro Martinez has the same height, nationality and preferred foot as Di Maria, so maybe not?

Gopher Brown

For all those saying he'll be played at right back - can anyone name an example of a player for any team who was signed then immediately switched position? Seems like it doesn't happen, and would be a potentially foolish/pointless thing to do.

Sparky Rhiwabon

For all those saying he'll be played at right back - can anyone name an example of a player for any team who was signed then immediately switched position? Seems like it doesn't happen, and would be a potentially foolish/pointless thing to do.
Didn't Phil Jones mainly play as a defensive midfielder for Blackburn before he came to United and played CB or RB. Also Mata was mainly number 10 before he came to United and played mainly on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.