Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopher Brown

Didn't Phil Jones mainly play as a defensive midfielder for Blackburn before he came to United and played CB or RB. Also Mata was mainly number 10 before he came to United and played mainly on the wing.
I think Phil was always a CB in youth football, but maybe you're right.

Mata worked out really well on the wing didn't it...

Gopher Brown

Sounds like AWB is up for sale. We aren’t being linked with any RB. Timber can play RB fairly well from what I can gather. He becomes a world class RB in FM 22 for what it’s worth. He seems brave and the manager clearly loves his personality.
Maybe we all have horrible memories of Jones and Smalling playing at right back

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sounds like AWB is up for sale. We aren’t being linked with any RB. Timber can play RB fairly well from what I can gather. He becomes a world class RB in FM 22 for what it’s worth. He seems brave and the manager clearly loves his personality.
Not to mention each of Maguire/Varane/Lindelof are much better at CB than Dalot is at right back. Easy upgrade on our weakest position while being groomed for CB maybe.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Maybe we all have horrible memories of Jones and Smalling playing at right back
I genuinely think it was a Fergie thing to play CBs at right back while bedding them in. Especially young lads. Brown, Jones, Smalling. Obviously some were due to makeshift teams and there are plenty he didn’t play at RB but I do reckon Fergie used to see playing on the side of the pitch less low risk especially if the player was hard working and tough enough. He used to do the same with Fletcher on the wings and Scholes up front. It’s less costly if you make an error and a good place to learn the game from.

Mmm-Qatarian

People keep saying football has moved on but it hasn’t really. City’s centre halves are tall. Liverpool’s are man mountains. The best defenders in the league that don’t play for those teams (Rudiger, Romero, Fofana etc.) are all tall. Can’t think of a single top centre back in the Premier League today that is small.
Yeah, I honestly feel that the whole "football has moved on" line is being trotted out simply because people have this perception that technical excellence is now the only thing that matters, and anybody even somewhat concerned with physical factors is "living in the dark ages".

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he comes in and helps us defend a large space in a high line astutely and also provides the requisite ball playing ability for us to progress play in the build up phase, then that would be a big upgrade on several of our current CBs. Timber losing a few aerial duels won't be as detrimental to the cause as being deficient against the opposition transition in a high-line.

He might be on the shorter side compared to Harry Maguire but Timber is more physical in a front foot approach.

city-puma

Is it possible that ETH feels he can develop into a midfielder and he has already been playing as CB (right mainly) and RB? The versatile and potential are what he wants from him. For certain opponents, his height is a big concern and it has to be complemented by the other players with suitable setup.

Kaushal

Im not liking the prices that’s been quoted. As much I would prefer both Frenkie and Timber at united still spending €130m on them makes no sense. It’s fleecing. Also, you can forget about other signings then in that case. I hope we are much smarter and keep the total sum around 100m for both players.

Rake

Im not liking the prices that’s been quoted. As much I would prefer both Frenkie and Timber at united still spending €130m on them makes no sense. It’s fleecing. Also, you can forget about other signings then in that case. I hope we are much smarter and keep the total sum around 100m for both players.
With Gravenberch supposedly worth 20-25 mil EUR, can't see Ajax wanting the reported prices for Timber. As always, prices reported have an added hefty United fee. I think something in the region 30 mil EUR will settle it and that is probably with the future bonuses included.

Spielmacher

With Gravenberch supposedly worth 20-25 mil EUR, can't see Ajax wanting the reported prices for Timber. As always, prices reported have an added hefty United fee. I think something in the region 30 mil EUR will settle it and that is probably with the future bonuses included.
You should also consider that Gravenberch's contract would be running out in 2023. Timber's contract is until 2024.

userman

As other posters are also saying I definitely believe that Timber is gonna be a RB for us. He obviously has the potential to do it, and to significantly improve on what we got, and he’s also familiar to Ten Hags “inverted fullback” role.

As a CB with his lack of aerial ability, combined with a partner that’s not dominating in the air (Varane), plus a GK (DdG) without aerial reach and that rarely picks any crosses - I think said partnership is bound to fail in the PL, unfortunately.

Rake

You should also consider that Gravenberch's contract would be running out in 2023. Timber's contract is until 2024.
Correct, but that is why I'm adding 5-10 mil to his cost. Also, while Barcelona might want a large chunk of cash for FDJ, I believe Ajax are open to payments in installments. Whatever the price is, the whole of it will not be straight deducted from our budget.

copen1945

Is he serious about the move to us? I hope we are not being used for a big fat contract extension for himself.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I genuinely think it was a Fergie thing to play CBs at right back while bedding them in. Especially young lads. Brown, Jones, Smalling. Obviously some were due to makeshift teams and there are plenty he didn’t play at RB but I do reckon Fergie used to see playing on the side of the pitch less low risk especially if the player was hard working and tough enough. He used to do the same with Fletcher on the wings and Scholes up front. It’s less costly if you make an error and a good place to learn the game from.
Yeah I agree. Most of our attacks were constructed on the left side with Silvestre, Heize and Evra. With Vidic and Rio being mainstays, Fergie had to give proper game time to Brown, Smalling and Jones to prepare them for the future. I think Evans was the only one who was played in centre back for most of his developing years. Speaking of which, I look at Maguire and I just can't help but think we were better off keeping Evans. Just one of the disastrous results from the Van Gaal era.

Highfather_24

Good. Focus on midfield and attack first.

Then we can focus on RB.

After that if we have funds left, we can target a CB. We still have Varane, Maguire and Lindelof there.

GoldanoGraham

If anyone putting negative thoughts in his head it would be Van Gaal - he is not a fan of Utd

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Disappointing. But there are other options. Look at Ndicka / Gvardiol.

Would be great for Ajax, possibly their best player.

AndySmith1990

Every signing we make this summer should be a guaranteed starter. If he won't be then it's no big deal, our money can be better spent elsewhere
But if the plan is to give him a key role in the team then it'll be communicated

crossy1686

career ending
He won't turn United down because he's not guaranteed a place, what sort of ambition is that? If he fancies himself he'll back himself to nail a starting place.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Disappointing. But there are other options. Look at Ndicka / Gvardiol.

Would be great for Ajax, possibly their best player.
Would probably be more expensive than Timber (so would Gvardiol), but I would really prefer Guehi. Better than all of them in my opinion, and the most promising young english CB in years. An absolute tank, very quick, two footed and very good on the ball.

Nero

You just know van Gaal has been in his ear during this international break.

ash_86

So we have had a clear run of the player and couldn't launch a single bid? WTF are we doing waiting around ?

Status
Not open for further replies.