Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highfather_24

Mengi is always injured and not good enough in my opinion.
maguire and Lindelof both spent a good portion of time injured last season as did Varane. Last season we still had Bailly, Jones and matic to cover. Bailly and Jones want out. Matic is gone
We need a CB for sure. Just think its down the priority order behind couple of midfielders, a forward and a rightback. We also need a LB, a RW and a new GK.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
We need a CB for sure. Just think its down the priority order behind couple of midfielders, a forward and a rightback. We also need a LB, a RW and a new GK.
I agree with this take. My priority order right now would be:
1. Central midfielder (or two)
2. Forward
3. Fullback
4. Centre back

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We’re obviously not going to do that level of business in one window.
i suspect a cb, cm, forward & maybe a fullback

I add that i dont think they will be bought in priority but that they are prioritized over other positions

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
If the guy doesn’t back himself to earn a starting spot in our shit show of a defence then I’d really have to question his mentality.
Or he just prefers 1 more season for Ajax, which he told the media several times now. He has the right mentality for a young player, development over a big paycheck. Besides, he'll be playing the CL.
If the latest rumours are true that is. I think he'll stay at Ajax for 1 more season, that would be the best choice for him and for Ajax fans, not such much for United fans :lol:

ShinjiNinja26

Or he just prefers 1 more season for Ajax, which he told the media several times now. He has the right mentality for a young player, development over a big paycheck. Besides, he'll be playing the CL.
If the latest rumours are true that is. I think he'll stay at Ajax for 1 more season, that would be the best choice for him and for Ajax fans, not such much for United fans :lol:
If that’s the case then move on to Carmo then.

ShinjiNinja26

It depends. I don’t think central defence is an area that we are so weak that we have to abandon our preferred signings for the sake of waiting a year.
It’s been reported that Carmo is our back up option should we fail to land Timber this summer. If Timber doesn’t want to come then I’d rather we get a deal for Carmo wrapped up swiftly. I disagree and think defence is very much an area that needs addressing this summer.

didz

It would be best for United too, I think.

We'll end up in the running for a better player with only a year on his deal having already established our interest and lines of communication in advance.

This deal makes more sense next summer than this one, since it's unlikely we sign 2 centre backs in one window and we haven't got a left-footer in the squad, which has previously been important to Ten Hag.

Dante

Average bang
I was never convinced he'd be a good fit in the Premier League at CB. Even as a RB or DM, he would've lacked the experience needed to slot in straight away.

So I can't say I'd be too disappointed if we bought someone else. This was always more of an attempt by EtH to recreate his Ajax dressing room culture, rather than an attempt to elevate United to the same level as City/Liverpool.

I'm sure we could do better if we widened our net to look elsewhere. It might turn out to be more of a gamble in terms of how the next target would fit in with the manager's philosophy. But if we do our homework, there's no reason that should cause a problem.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not actually that bothered by this one, at 20 years old he's one for the future anyway so as long as we get first dibs in the future another year at Ajax might be for the best

VanDeBank

Ma’am
People will probably keep ignoring the reliable sources such as Verweij (or Timber himself) in favour of believing Goldshite peddled tabloid rumours.

Then when he doesn't come, they'll blame the club for not getting the deal done or something.

SAF is the GOAT

How dare he to put conditions on joining us ?

One of the biggest club in the world wants you where you former manager is coaching and you to come!

Shut the feck up and sign the thing

RuudTom83

The media can't report the deal it almost done every day...its all part of the rollercoaster...today the track goes down...tomorrow might be back on!

Just go with the flow, support the club, enjoy the summer ride.

Becks00

People will probably keep ignoring the reliable sources such as Verweij (or Timber himself) in favour of believing Goldshite peddled tabloid rumours.

Then when he doesn't come, they'll blame the club for not getting the deal done or something.
But then when Verweij posted some positive news some days back you were nowhere to be found. Timber clearly did have( or still has) an interest in joining United and your position of there being no strong links is clearly false. If it was never happening as you claimed, then this new development reported by Verweij would have no basis, as Timber would have no need to worry about his place in the national team if he was never leaving Ajax in the first place.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

That same reporter mentioned it was close few days back.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
But then when Verweij posted some positive news some days back you were nowhere to be found. Timber clearly did have( or still has) an interest in joining United and your position of there being no strong links is clearly false. If it was never happening as you claimed, then this new development reported by Verweij would have no basis, as Timber would have no need to worry about his place in the national team if he was never leaving Ajax in the first place.
That same reporter mentioned it was close few days back.
Confirmation bias at it's finest. His last bit of info said ETH wanted Timber and there was a meeting with his reps.

He or someone else may have said it on the Telegraaf podcast. But there's a reason it's on the podcast and not in their print. It's full of shit.
A podcast from De Telegraaf is equivalent to The Sun's gossip column. It's pure entertainment rather than journalism.

I'm judging the sources on reliability, which is different than willy nilly picking and choosing.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
That is obviously incorrect simply by looking at them.
Did another check.. Official Ajax website says Timber is 179cm and official Chelsea website says Silva is 181cm. So if you feel this 2cm is significant enough to argue that Silva is 'not short' and Timber is 'too short', thats up to you...

Frankly I dont really care anymore for this discussion. Some people in here argue that Timber is too short for the PL, I think that's a load of crap as under Ten Hags play other defensive attributes will be way more important than aerial skills.

But until Timber signs for United and we see him in action over a longer period of time, this will remain a purely hypothetical dead-end discussion which is going nowhere..

Mmm-Qatarian

Did another check.. Official Ajax website says Timber is 179cm and official Chelsea website says Silva is 181cm. So if you feel this 2cm is significant enough to argue that Silva is 'not short' and Timber is 'too short', thats up to you...

Frankly I dont really care anymore for this discussion. Some people in here argue that Timber is too short for the PL, I think that's a load of crap as under Ten Hags play other defensive attributes will be way more important than aerial skills.

But until Timber signs for United and we see him in action over a longer period of time, this will remain a purely hypothetical dead-end discussion which is going nowhere..
I wouldn't necessarily say Timber is too short to ever be successful as a centre back at United. Frankly, I don't think it's useful to make such sweeping statements when it comes to football as I definitely lack the tactical acumen to be confident in such a prediction.

With that said, I'm also entirely unconvinced by arguments that his height won't even be a problem. It's all centred around either the fact that Cannavaro, Puyol and Baresi were outstanding centre backs despite not being tall or completely nebulous statements about "the game moving on" from height being a factor.

I'm not even against Timber's signing; from what I have seen of him I think there is a lot to admire, and especially given his young age. With that said, I would have some worries about him immediately being plonked into a centre back pairing in the Premier League given that he's still raw and also considerably shorter than most players who play that role over here.

Mainoldo

Confirmation bias at it's finest. His last bit of info said ETH wanted Timber and there was a meeting with his reps.

He or someone else may have said it on the Telegraaf podcast. But there's a reason it's on the podcast and not in their print. It's full of shit.
A podcast from De Telegraaf is equivalent to The Sun's gossip column. It's pure entertainment rather than journalism.

I'm judging the sources on reliability, which is different than willy nilly picking and choosing.
When he signs we won’t 100 apologies from you. No excuses either.

0le

I'd love an extra ~0.7 inches.

golden_blunder

Staff
It depends. I don’t think central defence is an area that we are so weak that we have to abandon our preferred signings for the sake of waiting a year.
I disagree. We’d be relying on the achy breaky 3 of Maguire, Lindelof and Varane. 3 CBs when we should have 4. 3 who have all had various injuries and loss of form this season.

LuckyScout78

Before reading about LVG thing. True or not. Before that i got the feeling and think his CBs partnership in Lisandro Martinez has a more consistent top and winning mentality.
1-2 months back. I think i like Martinez mentality more. I think Martinez mentality is more consistent. Lesser affect by others things.

And playing for one of the best clubs in the world. I think a top and winning mentality is needed and require.

And with a football style and formation change. I dont think McTom will suit in Ten Hag midfield. But i still see McTom has that top figthing mood and mentality in him. Physical McTom is really strong, good tackler and fast enough in the first metres.
Which mean i need Lisandro Martinez precise diagonal left foot more. The diagonal long ball from left side to right winger. To a fast and skillful righ winger. Special for counting attack.
Then i would go for Lisandro Martinez. If i have to choose one between them.

Then how i would line those up :

Lindelof- Varane/McTom - Martinez/Maguire - Tyrell Malacia/Shaw/Hernandez

Raphinha - Bruno - Timber?DCM - De jong - Sancho/Martial/Garnacho + Rashford/Ronaldo/Nunez

But back too Timber - Not as a CB. But Timber as DCM can be a option. If United dont get Aurélien Tchouaméni, Manurel Locatelli or some others options on this level. Timber can be an alternative DCM option. Timber is fast and good with the ball and good to tackler too.

But as a leader and winner. Martinez has higher winning mentality than Timber. Timber is faster and more skillful on the ball than Martinez. But the mentality. Its in Martinez favour and advantage.

From mine objective observing. I represent none of them.

Against like we see against Liverpool or teams with a high line. Have a precise long pass from the deep and to fast, sharp and skill ful wingers. Can be weapon to deal with those top teams and high defend line. Then Martinez long pass foot can be really good. Just pair a strong, fast and solid CB like McTom or Varane next to Martinez. I think it will turn out to be good partnership.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Before reading about LVG thing. True or not. Before that i got the feeling and think his CBs partnership in Lisandro Martinez has a more consistent top and winning mentality.
1-2 months back. I think i like Martinez mentality more. I think Martinez mentality is more consistent. Lesser affect by others things.

And playing for one of the best clubs in the world. I think a top and winning mentality is needed and require.

And with a football style and formation change. I dont think McTom will suit in Ten Hag midfield. But i still see McTom has that top figthing mood and mentality in him. Physical McTom is really strong, good tackler and fast enough in the first metres.
Which mean i need Lisandro Martinez precise diagonal left foot more. The diagonal long ball from left side to right winger. To a fast and skillful righ winger. Special for counting attack.
Then i would go for Lisandro Martinez. If i have to choose one between them.

Then how i would line those up :

Lindelof- Varane/McTom - Martinez/Maguire - Tyrell Malacia/Shaw/Hernandez

Raphinha - Bruno - Timber?DCM - De jong - Sancho/Martial/Garnacho + Rashford/Ronaldo/Nunez

But back too Timber - Not as a CB. But Timber as DCM can be a option. If United dont get Aurélien Tchouaméni, Manurel Locatelli or some others options on this level. Timber can be an alternative DCM option. Timber is fast and good with the ball and good to tackler too.

But as a leader and winner. Martinez has higher winning mentality than Timber. Timber is faster and more skillful on the ball than Martinez. But the mentality. Its in Martinez favour and advantage.

From mine objective observing. I represent none of them.

Against like we see against Liverpool or teams with a high line. Have a precise long pass from the deep and to fast, sharp and skill ful wingers. Can be weapon to deal with those top teams and high defend line. Then Martinez long pass foot can be really good. Just pair a strong, fast and solid CB like McTom or Varane next to Martinez. I think it will turn out to be good partnership.
Playing mctom in the center of defense could be disastrous, look at Scotland/Ukraine for example.

Becks00

Think I remember you posting an article from a reliable Dutch journalist (which you confirmed) stating that Ajax offered Timber a new contract but then you omitted posting the part where the same article reported Timber's reps negotiating a move at Man utd office in London. I would guess that isn't confirmation bias.

CM10

I disagree. We’d be relying on the achy breaky 3 of Maguire, Lindelof and Varane. 3 CBs when we should have 4. 3 who have all had various injuries and loss of form this season.
Was there more than a couple of games this season where more than one of them was missing with injury?

Varane has a flaky injury record, granted. Lindelof and Maguire were both in the matchday squad for 33 of the 38 league matches. Maguire in particular is usually pretty robust in terms of his injury record, if nothing else.

Ideally we'd get a 4th CB in as well but we need first team quality signings in at least 3, maybe 4 other positions before even thinking about that. The midfield situation in particular is dire.

golden_blunder

Staff
Was there more than a couple of games this season where more than one of them was missing with injury?

Varane has a flaky injury record, granted. Lindelof and Maguire were both in the matchday squad for 33 of the 38 league matches. Maguire in particular is usually pretty robust in terms of his injury record, if nothing else.

Ideally we'd get a 4th CB in as well but we need first team quality signings in at least 3, maybe 4 other positions before even thinking about that. The midfield situation in particular is dire.
I don’t disagree that we need other areas addressed too but we can’t go into a campaign with only 3 CBs with Bailly and Jones looking to leave. Even if we did a loan or something we need a 4th.

midfield I think we will get 1 and integrate some young players & have VDB play under ETH to see if he can replicate his Ajax form

Blood Mage

It's natural for him to be concerned about playing time, I'm not sure he'd be a guaranteed starter straight away unless Varane starts the season injured.

Gandalf

I don't think it is any more or less likely today than it was yesterday. The story has been for several days that we want to sign him and we are talking to his agents and have a green light from Ajax and now today he is thinking of turning us down.

The most likely explanation is simply that nobody is talking and even the tabloid clickbait merchants realize they cannot run the same "deal is almost done" article for 7 days in a row and so today they default to the "deal may fall through" narrative. The objective is to get clicks and publish a United article daily, accuracy is not part of the equation.

SATA

I don’t have a liking for van Gaal but why are people so certain that it’s him who is discouraging Timber from coming here? Is he also dissuading Frenkie from coming to United using that logic? Perhaps players do think in the best of interests for themselves first?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Think I remember you posting an article from a reliable Dutch journalist (which you confirmed) stating that Ajax offered Timber a new contract but then you omitted posting the part where the same article reported Timber's reps negotiating a move at Man utd office in London. I would guess that isn't confirmation bias.
I didn't omit squat. I posted a tweet and translated it per the rules of the transfer tweets thread. My translation was perfectly accurate. If you think the tweet was misleading with regards to the contents of the article, take it up with VI. I wasn't even aware the tweet linked to a longer article until Mazhar mentioned it.

Now that I've read it. It didn't say they were negotiating a move. It just says there was a meeting. A meeting doesn't have to entail a negotiation. Gakpo's reps also met with Liverpool a few months ago and he extended his contract shortly after.

And btw, Ajax didn't offer Timber a new contract according to the article. It just says they were negotiating one.

Here's a rough outline on what was in the article:

After reading Freek Jansen's VI article today (thanks @VanDeBank), it seems that both Ajax and Timber's camp have held off all work pertaining to the player's future until recently. Ajax wanted to extend Timber's contract during the season but decided to focus on ending the season successfully rather than holding talks with Timber's camp. Many other clubs were interested in Timber throughout the season, but neither Ajax nor Timber's camp entertained the interest. Recently, however, Ajax have commenced their contract extension talks with Timber's camp, and the player's camp also visited Manchester United's London office. We'll start to see some further developments on this in the next few weeks.

I don't think any of us knows the player's inclinations at this time, but if he decides to renew his contract with Ajax, then we'll have to look at other option this summer.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don’t have a liking for van Gaal but why are people so certain that it’s him who is discouraging Timber from coming here? Is he also dissuading Frenkie from coming to United using that logic? Perhaps players do think in the best of interests for themselves first?
Probably because they watch the likes of Goldbridge or Howson and they came up with that. It's a silly narrative, which only makes sense if you rant to yourself about it in an echo chamber for an hour.

If Timber comes to United, he'll very much be ETH's signing, in the same way Blind and Memphis were LVG's. You'd have to be deluded if you think LVG wouldn't pick a a United starter because he hates the club. He's a patriotic twat with a massive ego. He'll select whomever he thinks will give him the best chance at the world cup. Not picking Timber doesn't hurt United either considering the timing of the world cup. There's a reason we hate our starters going on international duty.

Becks00

I didn't omit squat. I posted a tweet and translated it per the rules of the transfer tweets thread. My translation was perfectly accurate. If you think the tweet was misleading with regards to the contents of the article, take it up with VI. I wasn't even aware the tweet linked to a longer article until Mazhar mentioned it.

Now that I've read it. It didn't say they were negotiating a move. It just says there was a meeting. A meeting doesn't have to entail a negotiation. Gakpo's reps also met with Liverpool a few months ago and he extended his contract shortly after.

And btw, Ajax didn't offer Timber a new contract according to the article. It just says they were negotiating one.

Here's a rough outline on what was in the article:
So the reps just came to enjoy the views in London then?

I generally agree with Mazhar's opinion at the end of the article. I'm just pushing back against the point you seem to be persistent with in this thread, that there has been no credible report linking Timber to United in the Dutch media and it's all some made up conjecture by the likes of Goldbridge or whatever his name is that posters on here have been basing their opinion of Timber likely signing for United this summer on.

Fact is he has been linked by credible Dutch journos and even if Timber initially stated he doesn't see himself leaving Ajax, several reports has since been published by both credible English and Dutch journalists that would make people believe the guy is at least thinking of signing for United rather than what you try to portray. The guy himself even stated in an interview a day or two ago that he could improve at Ajax and he could improve at other clubs too, so there is clearly a chance he leaves Ajax.

Lyng

I thought Goldbridge refered alot to Verweij?

Status
Not open for further replies.