Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I agree with this take. My priority order right now would be:
1. Central midfielder (or two)
2. Forward
3. Fullback
4. Centre back
I know right, but I doubt we have to budget to pursue our top priorities on each of those.

1. 50 or 100m
2. 65m
3. 25m
4. 40m

Total 180 or 230m.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I disagree. We’d be relying on the achy breaky 3 of Maguire, Lindelof and Varane. 3 CBs when we should have 4. 3 who have all had various injuries and loss of form this season.
Can’t one of Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe or Mengi be the fourth choice CB, if needs be?

They probably won’t see much game time anyway bar an injury crisis. And if we sign a new starting CB, will any of Varane, Maguire or Lindelof be happy being fourth choice? Probably not, so you need to sell one first.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I know right, but I doubt we have to budget to pursue our top priorities on each of those.

1. 50 or 100m
2. 65m
3. 25m
4. 40m

Total 180 or 230m.
Yeah, I agree. I’d just work down the list until we run out of money.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
We have proven excellent centre backs at the club in Varane, Maguire, Lindelof and Jones. Add a decent defensive midfielder, some proper coaching and a commanding GK and we do t need any more centre backs

NotQuiteManc

We have proven excellent centre backs at the club in Varane, Maguire, Lindelof and Jones. Add a decent defensive midfielder, some proper coaching and a commanding GK and we do t need any more centre backs
Bolded part: I think that's the key here and I am hoping, hoping that this time it will work for the current squad.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Can’t one of Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe or Mengi be the fourth choice CB, if needs be?

They probably won’t see much game time anyway bar an injury crisis. And if we sign a new starting CB, will any of Varane, Maguire or Lindelof be happy being fourth choice? Probably not, so you need to sell one first.
Bailly & Jones both want to leave this window. Mengi is injury prone and not good enough
Tuanzebe I’d presume they will sell, still going on loan is not a good look. I don’t think he’s good enough but I suppose he could hang around for a year under a new coach and see how he does

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Apart from Varane, neither Maguire and Lindelof are proven excellent centre backs. Both and Jones had stayed here for too long and hadn't show sign of being top class, time to move on.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
So the reps just came to enjoy the views in London then?

I generally agree with Mazhar's opinion at the end of the article. I'm just pushing back against the point you seem to be persistent with in this thread, that there has been no credible report linking Timber to United in the Dutch media and it's all some made up conjecture by the likes of Goldbridge or whatever his name is that posters on here have been basing their opinion of Timber likely signing for United this summer on.

Fact is he has been linked by credible Dutch journos and even if Timber initially stated he doesn't see himself leaving Ajax, several reports has since been published by both credible English and Dutch journalists that would make people believe the guy is at least thinking of signing for United rather than what you try to portray. The guy himself even stated in an interview a day or two ago that he could improve at Ajax and he could improve at other clubs too, so there is clearly a chance he leaves Ajax.
Did you not see the example I gave of Gakpo?
Clubs hold talks with players they're interested in (and their management) all the time aside from contract negotiations.
A more high profile example would be Mbappe. Real Madrid were in contact a long time before there was a contract negotiation.

The fact is there is no credible journo claiming we're at an advanced stage with Timber. The only contract negotiation we know of is the one between Ajax and Timber.

I didn't quote Mazhar's post for his opinion. I quoted him for the summary of the article, which you have clearly haven't read.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree with this take. My priority order right now would be:
1. Central midfielder (or two)
2. Forward
3. Fullback
4. Centre back

1. 50 or 100m
2. 65m
3. 25m
4. 40m

Total 180 or 230m.
I personally think we need forward but it makes zero sense to buy new forward so we can put Rashford and Martial who are on high wages on the bench. We need to sell both of them first before we buy new forward imo. Selling those two would add more money to the budget to buy forward. IMO the focus should be 2 midfields and 1 centre back. The full back and forward depends on how much we can gain from selling.

So sell Bissaka (£15m) Dean (£30m) Bailly (£15m), we could get £60m. That's £180m. We can get another £50m - £55m if we can sell both Rashford and Martial if we need new forwards. Like I said, it makes zero sense to buy new forward so we can bench Rashford and Martial who are on massive wages.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Confirmation bias at it's finest. His last bit of info said ETH wanted Timber and there was a meeting with his reps.

He or someone else may have said it on the Telegraaf podcast. But there's a reason it's on the podcast and not in their print. It's full of shit.
A podcast from De Telegraaf is equivalent to The Sun's gossip column. It's pure entertainment rather than journalism.

I'm judging the sources on reliability, which is different than willy nilly picking and choosing.
He said that Timber is interested and representatives have met. What else do you think journalist will mention? And no I am not saying about the other guy on the podcast.

If he is changing his story then something happened recently.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He said that Timber is interested and representatives have met. What else do you think journalist will mention? And no I am not saying about the other guy on the podcast.

Where was this said and by whom?

VanDeBank

Ma’am

That was him 3 days ago. This Worldcup news came today.

He didn't say Timber is interested, but you could deduce that from the fact that there was meeting between him and his management.
On that note, he must be more interested in staying because he said he wanted to stay and he's negotiating a contract with Ajax.

I don't find it odd at all he's open the door slightly "to other clubs" and there was a meeting between his management and other clubs right as his contract negotiation is starting.

Becks00

Did you not see the example I gave of Gakpo?
Clubs hold talks with players they're interested in (and their management) all the time aside from contract negotiations.
A more high profile example would be Mbappe. Real Madrid were in contact a long time before there was a contract negotiation.

The fact is there is no credible journo claiming we're at an advanced stage with Timber. The only contract negotiation we know of is the one between Ajax and Timber.

I didn't quote Mazhar's post for his opinion. I quoted him for the summary of the article, which you have clearly haven't read.
You don't seem to get my point. I concede my mistake in the negotiation part, but what is implied is the fact that Timber is interested in joining United otherwise his reps wouldn't fly over in the first place. Just as Mbappe was interested in joining Madrid and Gakpo was in joining Liverpool, that neither move happened doesn't mean the players didn't listen to offers from these clubs.

No one said it was at an advanced stage, people just assumed if the player is interested and the club is interested combined with Ajax usually not standing in the way of their players who intend to move on, that the move should be an easy one. You on the other hand constantly implied Timber isn't interested and his likely signing was some pipedream. Reputable Dutch journos did report is interest in joining United too and as I mentioned earlier Timber himself implied he was open to switching clubs in a recent interview.

And I did read the article when it was first posted on here but forgot the exact wordings when replying to you earlier, knew for sure you did not post the part about his representatives coming to London.

At least you've changed your stance now to no credible report about advanced negotiation which i agree with, but that was never my contention.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You don't seem to get my point. I concede my mistake in the negotiation part, but what is implied is the fact that Timber is interested in joining United otherwise his reps wouldn't fly over in the first place. Just as Mbappe was interested in joining Madrid and Gakpo was in joining Liverpool, that neither move happened doesn't mean the players didn't listen to offers from these clubs.

No one said it was at an advanced stage, people just assumed if the player is interested and the club is interested combined with Ajax usually not standing in the way of their players who intend to move on, that the move should be an easy one. You on the other hand constantly implied Timber isn't interested and his likely signing was some pipedream. Reputable Dutch journos did report is interest in joining United too and as I mentioned earlier Timber himself implied he was open to switching clubs in a recent interview.

And I did read the article when it was first posted on here but forgot the exact wordings when replying to you earlier, knew for sure you did not post the part about his representatives coming to London.

At least you've changed your stance now to no credible report about advanced negotiation which i agree with, but that was never my contention.
It's nice of you to admit your first post (which was an attack on me) was misinformed, but all of your other replies contain a misrepresentation of what I said.

Yes, people have said the talks are at an advanced stage. Unreliable sources such as Van der Kraan, De Telegraaf podcast, Goldshite, The sun gossip column etc. These sources have been mentioned in this thread. I've only stated that these people are full of shit and there's no reliable reports we're at an advanced stage. That's it.

I've never implied "Timber isn't interested". If you're next post is going to put words in my mouth, don't bother.

I do think the signing is unlikely for a number of reasons:
  • Timber stated at the end of the season he wishes to stay at Ajax
  • He's negotiating an improved contract at Ajax, not with United or anybody else and his management meeting with us coincides with those negotiations
  • Ajax are in the CL, we're in the Europa league
  • We have 0 left footed CBs and our manager has always used those
  • Ajax do not need to sell Timber. They're not a poor club and it doesn't make sense for footballing to reasons to let him go.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What makes you think that? I'm pretty sure we'll make at least 4, maybe as many as 6.
4 to 6 out of 120m? If we get Frenkie that's half to 2/3rd that budget. Sounds like ETH sees as his 1st priority.

5 more players out of 50m and change incl the most expensive position usually, the striker?? We may get 3-4 new players but from the academy.
That will be your 6 then.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
4 to 6 out of 120m? If we get Frenkie that's half to 2/3rd that budget. Sounds like ETH sees as his 1st priority.

5 more players out of 50m and change incl the most expensive position usually, the striker?? We may get 3-4 new players but from the academy.
That will be your 6 then.
I think we'll exceed the 120m being mentioned. Especially if we manage to sell the likes of Henderson, AWB, etc.

sglowrider

I think we'll exceed the 120m being mentioned. Especially if we manage to sell the likes of Henderson, AWB, etc.
Safer fr your anxiety if you have lower expectations and especially since we don't really know the actual budget.
I will be seriously shocked if we brought in 6 new players. Firstly it will be tough for ETH to integrate them when you have so many new players in his own first season.
Blind leading too many more blinds.

GazTheLegend

Jones actually played for us 4 times in the premier League this season and once in the FA cup. That's terrifying to me but it does highlight how eventually that depth DOES get used.

Bondi77

If we never appointed Erik we would not even be talking about this guy which I find quite funny really but I fully back our new manager so if he wants him that is fine with me.....I just hope we don't get ripped off!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In some Ajax game threads I recall a lot of praise for Timber. Ajax fans also rate him very highly.

If ETH wants him and if he plays in the same system, I think hed be absolutely perfect.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we never appointed Erik we would not even be talking about this guy which I find quite funny really but I fully back our new manager so if he wants him that is fine with me.....I just hope we don't get ripped off!
Different manager, different playing style. Different manager doesn't mean they want Timber's type of CB or de Jong type of midfielder. We would probably targetting different type profile of players with different managers.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
you’re right, footballers never came first which shows what a problem we had here.

themanguydude

Safer fr your anxiety if you have lower expectations and especially since we don't really know the actual budget.
I will be seriously shocked if we brought in 6 new players. Firstly it will be tough for ETH to integrate them when you have so many new players in his own first season.

I'll equally be shocked if we only bring in 2 considering the number of people that have left.

sglowrider

I'll equally be shocked if we only bring in 2 considering the number of people that have left.
My gut tells me 3 max. Too many new players for a brand new manager/team will just be a formula for a disaster. Chelsea under Fat Frank got like 6 in one summer and the whole team played like they just met each other for the first time. That big group also increased fan/owner's expectations.

Big transfer class usually ends in tears -- and one with a brand new manager, who is new to the league... not good. The bigger window will be next summer.

Dong Fangzhuo

My gut tells me 3 max. Too many new players for a brand new manager/team will just be a formula for a disaster. Chelsea under Fat Frank got like 6 in one summer and the whole team played like they just met each other for the first time. That big group also increased fan/owner's expectations.

Big transfer class usually ends in tears -- and one with a brand new manager, who is new to the league... not good. The bigger window will be next summer.
Normally I'd agree but this team needs to be disrupted as much as possible.

sglowrider

Normally I'd agree but this team needs to be disrupted as much as possible.
I know but if I was ETH I would build up slowly. The expectations are already crazy high already. YOu get six names and the fans and board will be expecting him to win or guarantee top four in his first season. 3 signings -- Frenkie, Timber and Nunez/striker and I think we have a foundation. Then the rest with the academy kids.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
It's just an opinion, mate. And we did it before in the summer of Di Maria, Falcao, etc. None of us know how much we have - but given the number of outgoings, bringing in one or two players will not be enough. Hence my thinking that we'll get at least 4, maybe more. Time will tell I guess.

Dong Fangzhuo

I know but if I was ETH I would build up slowly. The expectations are already crazy high already. YOu get six names and the fans and board will be expecting him to win or guarantee top four in his first season. 3 signings -- Frenkie, Timber and Nunez/striker and I think we have a foundation. Then the rest with the academy kids.
I'd like to leave some minutes for the kids as well but we can easily sign 5-6 players and look less like strangers on the pitch in GW1 than we did last season. Three signings just won't cut it unless they're prime Rio, Robson and Cantona.

Gandalf

It's just an opinion, mate. And we did it before in the summer of Di Maria, Falcao, etc. None of us know how much we have - but given the number of outgoings, bringing in one or two players will not be enough. Hence my thinking that we'll get at least 4, maybe more. Time will tell I guess.
Budget will come into it too. Clearly we see FDJ as a player to build around if we can convince him to come but he would take about 75M of the 120M budget that we supposedly have to spend and so it is tough to see Frenkie plus more than another two max. If we don't get Frenkie then of course we may be looking at more developmental targets on lower fees and so we might stretch to 4 or 5 signings. We do need numbers in but if it is just 2 or 3 and they are all going to play around 50 games and be difference makers that is fine and should be quite transformative.

Status
Not open for further replies.