Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telsim

A superb passer, but not really much else. Bassey completely outshone him last night, even if Ajax lost in the end. I'm glad we went with Martinez instead. Now we need a tall one. :D

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
A superb passer, but not really much else. Bassey completely outshone him last night, even if Ajax lost in the end. I'm glad we went with Martinez instead. Now we need a tall one. :D
Dont agree that Bassey outshone him at all. Bassey was a bit all over the place, rash at times and struggled in the build up.

Telsim

Dont agree that Bassey outshone him at all. Bassey was a bit all over the place, rash at times and struggled in the build up.
Ajax were a bit lost all around, and he did struggle in progressing the ball, but was a lot better defensively than Timber.

Bwuk

Really? I was half paying attention but it look to me Bassey had no idea where Salah was for the first goal, and the second goal Matip got the jump on him.

jesperjaap

Saw Bassey for Rangers a few times but this was the first time I have actually watched Timber playing club football.

But.....really? Neither were perfect but had decent games. I thoguht Bassey was weak on the ball and positionally looked a bit lost, relied heavily on his strength to get him out of trouble a few times.

I was personally really impressed with Timber. his calmness on and off the ball, reading of the game, positioning, closing spaces, timing. might not have been a perfect performances but the ability and potential is obviously there to be a top top centre back and despite a couple of errors he was one of the best players on the pitch. Was a similar performance to those we have seen from Matinez for us so far, if he was playing for us like that and Martinez for Ajax last night....youd probably be saying the same thing the other way round....both look quality with room to improve

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Saw Bassey for Rangers a few times but this was the first time I have actually watched Timber playing club football.

But.....really? Neither were perfect but had decent games. I thoguht Bassey was weak on the ball and positionally looked a bit lost, relied heavily on his strength to get him out of trouble a few times.

I was personally really impressed with Timber. his calmness on and off the ball, reading of the game, positioning, closing spaces, timing. might not have been a perfect performances but the ability and potential is obviously there to be a top top centre back and despite a couple of errors he was one of the best players on the pitch. Was a similar performance to those we have seen from Matinez for us so far, if he was playing for us like that and Martinez for Ajax last night....youd probably be saying the same thing the other way round....both look quality with room to improve
Same.

Not good on that first goal (or it exposed his weakness anyway), but worse from the rest of the defence on that goal.

Bojan Djordjic

Why only 2 years of Varane? 31 isn't old for a CB
He's already an old 29. He's having a pretty good spell at the minute but last year he couldn't string a few games together without injury and then he struggled coming back into the team. Makes sense to be bringing in a potential successor at that point that we can trust to play cup games and cover for injuries.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I thought Bassey was poor in the game and was at fault for both Liverpool's goals. His passing out from the back at times was also poor.

Timber I thought did fine but the big worry for Ajax was their left side, which can only improve from here on in.

Ekeke

Bassey was good in the first half. Lost his composure on the ball in the 2nd a couple of times with wayward passing and was beaten in the air for Liverpool's winner. So a tale of 2 halves for him

Timber had some decent defending on the ground and played some pass and move football into the midfield. I really think he's just a right footed version of Martinez but worse in the air and its far more important for us have a Varane or someone else next to Martinez rather than doubling up with good ball players out of the backline. Martinez is enough for that and we'd be much better off pairing him with players that make his defending easier not harder.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Bassey was good in the first half. Lost his composure on the ball in the 2nd a couple of times with wayward passing and was beaten in the air for Liverpool's winner. So a tale of 2 halves for him

Timber had some decent defending on the ground and played some pass and move football into the midfield. I really think he's just a right footed version of Martinez but worse in the air and its far more important for us have a Varane or someone else next to Martinez rather than doubling up with good ball players out of the backline. Martinez is enough for that and we'd be much better off pairing him with players that make his defending easier not harder.
Bassey was also at mayor fault for that first goal.

Maybe you are right on Timber being pretty much the same as Martinez. I would have a similar concern. But he looks a lot quicker and more agile than Martinez. Timber looks rapid.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bassey stood out like a sore thumb as being un-Ajax educated. Nowhere near his teammates on the ball and it was spoiling their build up.

Timber was better, and is probably as good as you can get in terms of carrying the ball forward from the back.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Timber is more agile and quicker than Martinez. Both have a great pass. Timber also loves coming into the opponents box to assist or score, he’s just a very very technical and good footballer. They worked together so so well but with Varane there’s no need for him. However, if Varane gets injured it will be Magalof again which will be horrible so maybe ETH wants to go for him next summer to rotate with Varan?

ETH86

Supports
Ajax
Please buy him next summer for €100 million+ again please :D

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Effortlessly neutralized Lewandowski today. He's gonna be a star. Better than De Ligt and Van Dijk.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Interesting how the 2 highest paid CB's of that summer in De Ligt and Maguire are both struggling right now.
Wouldn't say de Ligt is struggling though, Timber is just better in certain systems.

He hasnt lived up to his potential though but still will be a main CB for Bayern I think. It seems to be between him and Upamecano.

Bwuk

Wouldn't say de Ligt is struggling though, Timber is just better in certain systems.

He hasnt lived up to his potential though but still will be a main CB for Bayern I think. It seems to be between him and Upamecano.
Think he’ll suit playing next to Martinez and Varane next season?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Timber is more agile and quicker than Martinez. Both have a great pass. Timber also loves coming into the opponents box to assist or score, he’s just a very very technical and good footballer. They worked together so so well but with Varane there’s no need for him. However, if Varane gets injured it will be Magalof again which will be horrible so maybe ETH wants to go for him next summer to rotate with Varan?
You can see why they were so good together. Timber is the perfect player to come in next window for a long-term Varane replacement. We won't get him though because Ajax will want feck off money and we are apparently a lot more advanced in our rebuild according to the idiot that's supposed to be our DoF.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
You can see why they were so good together. Timber is the perfect player to come in next window for a long-term Varane replacement. We won't get him though because Ajax will want feck off money and we are apparently a lot more advanced in our rebuild according to the idiot that's supposed to be our DoF.
Its already decided that he will leave next year. He will be expensive but imo he’s one of the best young defenders out there and will become one of the worlds best CB’s in 2/3 years time (and a lot of interested parties in him after the WC).
The combo Martinez and Timber was amazing for us, also against teams with height. I truly hope you guys sign him next summer because he will leave anyway.

Trex

We shouldn't be getting another center back unless we can get decent money from a Maguire or Lindelof sale.

AussieDevil

We shouldn't be getting another center back unless we can get decent money from a Maguire or Lindelof sale.
We should get a decent fee for Lindelof, he is genuinely a good centre back, he’d fit in so well in Spain because of his style of play. He actually seems like a class lad as well, he always made so much time for fans down here in Australia.

AussieDevil

I said this as well. This kid really is so fecking good.
Needs to make the right move for his career though. I’m so sure he will end up at Madrid and play the Militao role of a few seasons ago subbing in at both right back and center back before gradually growing into the center back role permanently.

Erik the Red

I would take Ndicka on a free and sell Maguire for whatever money we get for him, as the wages will be cheaper, and Maguire clearly cannot play a high line. If we can get Timber for the same amount we raise from selling Maguire and Lindelof, I'm all for it. Our four centrebacks would be Varane, Martinez, Timber and Ndicka. I would be happy with any pairing from those four.

Last edited:

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Interesting how the 2 highest paid CB's of that summer in De Ligt and Maguire are both struggling right now.
De Ligt isn't struggling, of all the matches in September he only didn't start in 1. He started out on the bench, mainly due to fitness. But it looks like he's a starter now. For some reason people really want him to struggle.

cyberman

We’ll see Lindelof and Harry next summer and have Timber as our third. Eventually he’ll phase out Varane imo

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
De Ligt isn't struggling, of all the matches in September he only didn't start in 1. He started out on the bench, mainly due to fitness. But it looks like he's a starter now. For some reason people really want him to struggle.
Certainly not got the reputation people expected though. Not even starting for his country when being labelled a potential defensive GOAT?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We should get a decent fee for Lindelof, he is genuinely a good centre back, he’d fit in so well in Spain because of his style of play. He actually seems like a class lad as well, he always made so much time for fans down here in Australia.
:confused: Have you watched him with your glasses on?

AussieDevil

:confused: Have you watched him with your glasses on?
Thankfully I dont wear glasses. Lindelof has struggled in certain situations in the PL, he isnt good enough for a title challenging side but he is a good centre back, he isnt great, and thats why I never mentioned he should be starting for us, but it doesnt make him shite. He has limitations, but no need to get carried away. I think he is better than Maguire too but thats not saying much.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Thankfully I dont wear glasses. Lindelof has struggled in certain situations in the PL, he isnt good enough for a title challenging side but he is a good centre back, he isnt great, and thats why I never mentioned he should be starting for us, but it doesnt make him shite. He has limitations, but no need to get carried away. I think he is better than Maguire too but thats not saying much.
We’ve had 6 years of finding out that he’s not a “genuinely good centre back”. He lacks most of the basics of being a centre back and shouldn’t be anywhere near the level of Manchester United

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We’ve had 6 years of finding out that he’s not a “genuinely good centre back”. He lacks most of the basics of being a centre back and shouldn’t be anywhere near the level of Manchester United
He's also been our best player in some matches, with some notable big matches against Juventus and Leicester (the last match of the season that we had to win to get top four). He's not great, but he's also not as bad as you and some others make out.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Except the part that he’s good at isn’t actually defending.

He’s great at backing down and letting attackers take shots from outside the box which makes him look good because the stats says he wasn’t beaten by an
pponent .

Great at picking only winnable headers which makes his aerial stats look much better than he actually is.

His way of defending is basically to pray for the opponent to feck it up instead of actually trying to stop them.

There’s a reason why our defensive record has been so poor ever since he’s been part of the starting lineup.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The difference between him and Martinez is like night and day
Watching him for Holland the other day it struck me that Timber is a bit like Rio while Martinez has elements of Vidic. As defenders. Not on the ball.

Really like Timber and hope that we go for him next summer, selling either Maguire or Lindelof. Neither of our defenders have the same type of agility as Timber and I do think we miss that alot more than height.

Status
Not open for further replies.