Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Yes and the clear path is for him to rotate in two positions while he adjusts to the game and eventually make one position his own over the next few years. I don’t see the issue. He is not Haaland or Mbappe.
But in terms of status he is a lot more than what you make him, if you think this is a scenario that would attract him to United..

Suedesi

I don't think he's quite ready for the big stage. Not now anyway. Napoli demolished Ajax, and he was rather meh all game long.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
How is he getting on this season?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How is he getting on this season?
Poorly from what I've read. Blamed for lacking application and more generally having poor performances. But then all of Ajax seems to be grinding to a halt, so when considering his current form, you also have to take into account the (negative) effect that new coach Schreuder is having on Ajax (as well as the quality that left the team last summer, I suppose).

Last edited:

LuckyScout78

I have jumped over to Kim Min Jae train now. And i will definitely pick Leicester City Woet Faes over Timber. Both of Jae and Faes i just discovered after last summer. After all the Timber saga.

If Ten Hag and United is looking for a new and really good CB.
In today football market. Those 2 names. For me. Are on really high rank and level of CB. Both of Kim and Wout Faes are warriors and beast of CB. They fighting and winning mentality are really high. And both of them have the height and physical strength and ability too.

After Timber didn't want to come to United. Then 2 really good and solid CB just appear. From nowhere. Fenerbache and St.Etienne. Could be good sign. Will not survive with both Martinez and Timber height. You need the height of Kim and Faes beside Martinez.

Darlington Padgett

Martinez has done well despite his height but he will always need a tall CB next to him and Timber is not that guy.

Strootman's Finger

Poorly from what I've read. Blamed for lacking application and more generally having poor performances. But then all of Ajax seems to be grinding to a halt, so when considering his current form, you also have to take into account the (negative) affect that new coach Schreuder is having on Ajax (as well as the quality that left the team last summer, I suppose).
I would imagine not having Martinez next to him has had a major effect.

RikRuud

With Maguire possibly on the way out. Would be very good edition and probably 3rd choice. Would be able to cover RB too when needed.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
With Maguire possibly on the way out. Would be very good edition and probably 3rd choice. Would be able to cover RB too when needed.
He could be a two-in-one purchase in January. Will Ajax entertain selling another of their players to us, in the same season mind? At least he'd have gotten the World Cup out of the way. Not sure he'd be cover for Varane though, him and Martinez as a pair is far from ideal. But as competition for Dalot and cover for Martinez definitely.

Erik the Red

Not sure that would sell the project to him. Leave a title winning team that are Champions League regulars to come to a team that have won very little in the past 10 years, and you can become a utility player, covering a few different defensive positions. I agree that he could be used in that way, but he would need convincing that this is a good move for his career. The move collapsed in the summer because he was worried about lack of game time.

flappyjay

Not sure that would sell the project to him. Leave a title winning team that are Champions League regulars to come to a team that have won very little in the past 10 years, and you can become a utility player, covering a few different defensive positions. I agree that he could be used in that way, but he would need convincing that this is a good move for his career. The move collapsed in the summer because he was worried about lack of game time.
If we can convince 3 multiple ucl winners to join us I am sure we can convince a kid to come play under a manager who knows him well.

Bondi77

A title winning team in a tinpot league or the most famous team in the best and most competitive league in the world.
If he would rather play in the former he is and never will be the player for us.

Erik the Red

My point was that he won't want to come here if he is told that he is coming to sit on the bench. Ajax are a decent team, and he wouldn't leave them to go anywhere that he had been told he will be a utility reserve player. That would be career suicide, and is pretty much why he turned us down in the summer. He would only come here with a reasonable expectation of being first choice if he is playing well.

All three multiple UCL winners are expecting regular starting positions, and now that he is no longer in that position is why Ronaldo is throwing his toys... In some ways it is more difficult to attract young players, as seen with Haaland and Bellingham going to Dortmund first to progress their career so that they can be "automatic" starters once they make the move to a big club.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

stevoc

We signed 2 of Ajax's best players a few months ago. Don't think we'll have any problems convincing more to make the move.

Erik the Red

We signed 2 of Ajax's best players a few months ago. Don't think we'll have any problems convincing more to make the move.
It's the sitting on the bench that would put him off. Why would any young player join a club where his role is intended to be a bench warmer?

Bojan Djordjic

It's the sitting on the bench that would put him off. Why would any young player join a club where his role is intended to be a bench warmer?
Varane is almost 30 and can't get a string of games before his body breaks down. Timber is far better than Lindelof, much better in possession than Varane and would have the versatility to provide cover for Dalot all while providing United with some additional press-breaking skills at the back. I think he would get plenty of minutes even at the start and with Varane's injury history has a solid pathway into becoming the 1st choice RCB with Varane becoming a very capable bench option.,

stevoc

How do you know he'd be sitting on the bench, Ajax are probably going to want £60-80m for him. For that price we wouldn't be buying him to sit on the bench.

RkkMan

No thanks
Whichever CB we sign needs to be someone that's tall and strong in the mould of a Saliba. Can't be having two short CBs as good as Timber is
A couple of solid CL games and Eredivisie games isn't anywhere near the same as 30-38 PL games together.
Two CBs below 5'9 in the PL playing week in week out will have us completely torn apart.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No thanks
Whichever CB we sign needs to be someone that's tall and strong in the mould of a Saliba. Can't be having two short CBs as good as Timber is
A couple of solid CL games and Eredivisie games isn't anywhere near the same as 30-38 PL games together.
Two CBs below 5'9 in the PL playing week in week out will have us completely torn apart.
Timber isn’t below 5’9 but point taken.

croadyman

No thanks
Yeah not against him at RB,however agree that we need someone taller at CB because there is distinct lack of height defending set pieces

Erik the Red

How do you know he'd be sitting on the bench, Ajax are probably going to want £60-80m for him. For that price we wouldn't be buying him to sit on the bench.
I was responding to this post:

"RikRuud said:
With Maguire possibly on the way out. Would be very good edition and probably 3rd choice. Would be able to cover RB too when needed."

I agree that he may well be on the bench behind Varane if he joins, but he would need to be convinced that he is seen as Varane's replacement over the next couple of years.

If he is a starter at RCB, then it is a Timber Martinez partnership, which I am fine with, and seemed to do well at Ajax, but the height policemen will be out in force.

I doubt he will cost £60m+, and if that is the asking price, I doubt we would go for it.

Telsim

We don't need him anymore. Now we need a tall CB to shore up Martinez's weaknesses and Varane's unreliable fitness. Someone young and not too expensive.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I doubt he will cost £60m+, and if that is the asking price, I doubt we would go for it.
Why wouldn't he? Martinez and Antony was expensive as hell, and now that they've seen we're willing to pay up, if anything Timber would be more expensive that Martinez.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'd rather us have that big club mentality again of not going back for a player once they've already rejected a move.

Sure, we'll miss out on loads of talent, but we'll also miss out on the players that see us as a piggy bank and a last resort.

You only have to look at Martinez to see the benefit of having a player hungry to join us, willing to do anything for the opportunity to take the step up.

Either Timber didn't have the confidence to stake a position here before the world cup or he didn't really fancy the move, instead waiting for Bayern, Real or Barca to come calling, either way its not a player we should go back in for.

Same with Bellingham, same reason why we shouldn't have got Ronaldo and Pogba (even though I was excited as hell at the time about Pogba) back.

stevoc

I was responding to this post:

"RikRuud said:
With Maguire possibly on the way out. Would be very good edition and probably 3rd choice. Would be able to cover RB too when needed."

I agree that he may well be on the bench behind Varane if he joins, but he would need to be convinced that he is seen as Varane's replacement over the next couple of years.

If he is a starter at RCB, then it is a Timber Martinez partnership, which I am fine with, and seemed to do well at Ajax, but the height policemen will be out in force.

They got £85 million out of United for Antony and reportedly wanted £40-50m for Timber last summer. So I expect they'll want more next summer if we go back in.

Marwood

I don't think footballers look at it like that.

They all fancy themselves to become first choice.

Especially when their wage is about to be trebled as well.

Erik the Red

They got £85 million out of United for Antony and reportedly wanted £40-50m for Timber last summer. So I expect they'll want more next summer if we go back in.
If his agent is half decent, when they signed the contract extension last summer, they will have inserted a man utd release clause, active from summer 2023, for say £30m.

Erik the Red

I don't think footballers look at it like that.

They all fancy themselves to become first choice.

Especially when their wage is about to be trebled as well.
Haaland and Bellingham didn't join us because they had better chances of being a first team regular at Dortmund. For the same reason, Timber didn't join us last summer. Again, a good agent / advisor will help them think about career progression, and not just wages.

stevoc

Haaland and Bellingham didn't join us because they had better chances of being a first team regular at Dortmund. For the same reason, Timber didn't join us last summer. Again, a good agent / advisor will help them think about career progression, and not just wages.
Bellingham yes but apparently Haaland chose Dortmund because they agreed to put a release clause in his contract (the one that allowed him to join City for so little) and United don't do release clauses.

https://www.football365.com/news/do...aaland-signed-man-utd-inserted-release-clause

Marwood

I think finance came into the equation there as well.

Who knows how much Haaland and his family got from City. They don't get that if he comes to United. Same with Bellingham as well I'd imagine.

And there's no way Haaland wouldn't have been first choice here. Same with Bellingham.

I'd also add Timber doesn't have their profile. He's an easy get if we really want him.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I'd rather us have that big club mentality again of not going back for a player once they've already rejected a move.

Sure, we'll miss out on loads of talent, but we'll also miss out on the players that see us as a piggy bank and a last resort.

You only have to look at Martinez to see the benefit of having a player hungry to join us, willing to do anything for the opportunity to take the step up.

Either Timber didn't have the confidence to stake a position here before the world cup or he didn't really fancy the move, instead waiting for Bayern, Real or Barca to come calling, either way its not a player we should go back in for.

Same with Bellingham, same reason why we shouldn't have got Ronaldo and Pogba (even though I was excited as hell at the time about Pogba) back.
I agree, it's not like Timber is guaranteed to become a world class player. There are many of his level, our scouts should really just wake up and start doing their fecking job. Also not sure about Timber and Lisandro aerially.. Would be good to find someone like Varane..

Teja

stevoc

He still has one that decreases every year of his contract at City. Starts at 200M this year or something like that.
Yeah I'd believe it Haaland seems like the type that will want to move club every 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.