Just how good is this Liverpool team?

The Hairdryer

Let's not let this decend into another pointless slating thread. Scousers, We know how many stars you have on your shirt and how many league titles you've won etc so take off your blind supporters cap for a sec and give your honest opinion...and Mancs, take your Liverpool hate glasses off and choose from one of the following options.

the current Liverpool side are;

1. A decent team that's riding on the high of an astonishing once in a lifetime Champions League coup and are on a lucky league run, but will eventually end up going the same way Houlliers teams of the early naughts did after they won a treble and finished second in the league enventually battling it out to try get into Europe each season.

or

2. A very good team, that will finish in the top four for the next two seasons and could go on to be genuine title contenders in a few years if Benitez resists overseas interest in both his services and his star players and gets a few more lucky strikes in the transfer market.

or

3. The best team since Dalgleish's reign who have already replaced Manchester United and Arsenal and number one title contenders to Chelsea and could quite possibly go on to dominate the football landscape in both England and Europe like they did in the 70's and 80's or at least seriously dent Chelsea's aspirations of achieving the same thing.

IMHO it could be#2 but I'm not entirely convinced. Could still quite possibly be #1.

Warrington

In need of a new contact after Carra let me down.
I think it is a 2 but I am certain we will challenge for the league next season.

RedsForever

Lingers like a bad smell
#3 . The current team I believe is getting to be the best since the great Kenny Dalglish's era. Under Benitez, the team have proven themselves in that great CL run last season by beating Juve, Chelsea and AC Milan on a trot. This season, by topping the group in the CL and most importantly the team's current 2nd position in the PL is further testimony to the fact, that the team is destined to challenge for honours.

Come the Jan transfer window, a few more additions will only strengthened the team further with the likes of Carragher, Stevie G, Riise, Alonso, Hypia being the core of the team. Yes, I see us replacing United and Arsenal as title contenders to Chelsea.

Liverpool, like it or not is a giant given our history and achievements. Give this side another season or so, and you will see a return to the good old days like back in the 70s-80s.

Murt

a decent defensive team who will rarely beat a good team but will possibly hold them to a draw or nick it with a dody goal, penalties etc.

They'll be exposed once *** expect them to win and they meet some decent opposition. When was the last time they beat a decent team?

Warrington

Murt said:
a decent defensive team who will rarely beat a good team but will possibly hold them to a draw or nick it with a dody goal, penalties etc.

They'll be exposed once *** expect them to win and they meet some decent opposition. When was the last time they beat a decent team?
Defensive? Have you seen us in the league? We are much better now. And with better players we will improve.

Also depends if you think defense is a part of football or not, if you had a decent defence you'd still be in the CL.

Looking Busy

They are on a good run. They've had a good run of fixtures that has let them get some confidence back after a poor start to the season. We'll see how they react to a defeat or even a goal scored against them, that will be the test

DJSpaz

Incredibly Stupid Bitter Biased Embarrassing Caf C
Like Nottingham Forest...you've won it two times..
Murt said:

Only 18 points are available agains the top 3 from last season...

Beating the 'lesser' teams is crucial.

And FYI, we've played you and you couldnt score against us either.

Looking Busy

I think they need more than 2 or 3 additions to challenge for the title. Like us and Arsenal they need closer to 6 or 7 players. Challenging for the title isn't about the best 11. It's the team with the best second 11 that will win the title, ie the team that can replace injured players with quality. We can't, Arsenal can't ,Liverpool can't, Chelsea can.

As for redsforever talking about them being giants of history. Chelsea have proved that history means feck all when we're talking about the Premiership title.

Slabber

Looking Busy said:
They are on a good run. They've had a good run of fixtures that has let them get some confidence back after a poor start to the season. We'll see how they react to a defeat or even a goal scored against them, that will be the test
Their next game against a top team (Spurs) is in mid-January.

Slabber

Looking Busy said:
That's not really telling the full story. They don't have another Premiership fixture until boxing day.
Yes, and they have to go to Everton and Bolton. I'll shut up.

Looking Busy

DJS said:
More to do with you coming and parking the bus...
In a match when we had the best chance of the game, RVN's chip that went just over and the nearest you got were a load of long range efforts.

Face it neither of us were good in that game

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Hard to tell. They're on a good run obviously.

Reckon they're good enough for third place...still think they'll lose more against Chelsea, United and Arsenal than the rest of us, if that makes sense, but might finish above Arsenal, who appear to be slightly shit.

We should finish above them as they have the CL distraction, and I think player-for-player we're still slightly better. But with their current confidence, it's hard to tell.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
We are a right winger and a centre half and possibly a world class striker away from a title challenge.

The Hairdryer

VanNistelrater said:
Quite the opposite as I remember it, you are the team renound for putting every man behind the ball, remember. That is not and never has been Manchester United philosophy.
IMHO I think both managers were oing for and glad to get a draw at that early stage of the season. Usually when to strong teams meet it's the home team that should be pushing for the win.

Slabber

Plechazunga said:
Hard to tell. They're on a good run obviously.

Reckon they're good enough for third place...still think they'll lose more against Chelsea, United and Arsenal than the rest of us, if that makes sense, but might finish above Arsenal, who appear to be slightly shit.

We should finish above them as they have the CL distraction, and I think player-for-player we're still slightly better. But with their current confidence, it's hard to tell.
If Spurs finish below Liverpool but above Arsenal, can I keep my £20?

Warrington

DJS don't attack out own fella.

Lets debate with this all singing, all attacking United team.