Just how good was Gabriel Batistuta?

Wayne's World

Got bored in isolation here and went just backing on some of the best footballers from the last 20+ years or so and the one I've always been most intrigued by was Gabriel Batistuta. He spent most of his career in Italy and was a superstar and legend at Fiorentina and he talked up a more to us in 2000

Gabriel Batistuta, speaking in Florence to Observer Sport, dropped his biggest hint yet that he would like to continue his career with Manchester United.

'If I ever leave Fiorentina I would very much like to go to Manchester United because out of the three best teams in Europe - United, Lazio and Barcelona - Manchester, in my opinion, is the best,' said Batistuta.

Warming to his theme, Batistuta continued: 'In my heart, it is possible that I would like to have an experience in England. I will wait for the right moment. I would like to give my upmost for the Florentines and then leave.' It is arguable that Batistuta has already given more than anyone could be expected to give to a club. He is in his eighth season with Fiorentina and has scored more goals for them than anyone in their history.
I was very young in 2000 so I don't remember how good of a footballer he was but should he have achieved more in the game in terms of trophies? How good would he have been If he did decide to join us? I always remember Fergie being interested in him for years

Bogga

Always had a soft spot for Viola thanks to him and he was my favourite player outside of United. Was devastated when rumors said he was about to join but talks broke down for some reason... (if those rumours was true to begin with)
He was lethal and scored for fun... 78 caps and 56 goals speaks for itself

luke511

He was impossible to sign on Championship Manager 00/01

iHicksy

I only used to see him on C4's Football italia every sunday but from what I saw he was absolutely amazing. I remember thinking he was one of the best strikers in the world. Too young to know if he was top 3, top 5 or top 10 etc. I do remember I used to sign him on Championship manager 97/98 and paired him with Klinsman up top for spurs and his stats were some of the best in the game.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He was the striker I desperately wanted us to sign, pretty much constantly, throughout the late 90s. A great goalscorer and a scorer of great goals.

Think of Van Nistelrooy then add some. He was every bit as deadly in the box and more effective outside. He would have been the best striker in the world if it weren't for Ronaldo.

Bogga

Think of Van Nistelrooy then add some. He was every bit as deadly in the box and more effective outside. He would have been the best striker in the world if it weren't for Ronaldo.
This... RVN never scored outside of the box. Batigol scored loads from outside of the box as well

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Trezeguet and Batistuta are the weirdest players that I have seen. I don't understand how they can look and actually be that clinical, I have missed Romario's prime and he was supposed to be even more clinical. It's also strange how underhyped these three players are because they are genuinely intemporal, true goalscorers, an half chance was a big chance for them.

Hoof the ball

Underrated insofar as he's an all-time great striker worthy to be mentioned alongside the very best in that position, however, despite the occasional prose of nostalgic Serie A fans, he's criminally overlooked in conversations regarding great strikers.

Batigol was unstoppable in the best league in the world, renowned for it's incredible defensive play.

Just look at the legendary strikers in Serie A during his time - he was second only to Ronaldo really.

He was powerful with great technique. Right foot, left foot, headers. He could do it all.

United were constantly linked with big name strikers from Serie A. Also, if memory serves me correctly, the sort of time he was available United had Ruud targeted as our new striker

izec

He was world class. Could score any type of goal on a regular basis. Overhead/scissor kicks, long range shots. freekicks, tap ins, headers. Good technically, could run, could fight, was physical, leader. He was the complete package inside and outside the box.

He is overlooked today, people only talk about the greatest of all times and the recent ones. Batigol was a legend growing up for me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Underrated insofar as he's an all-time great striker worthy to be mentioned alongside the very best in that position, however, despite the occasional prose of nostalgic Serie A fans, he's criminally overlooked in conversations regarding great strikers.
Zamorano and Vieri are also overlooked, it may be due to Ronaldo, he essentially overshadowed everyone even though he played during a time where several all time greats were also playing at a high level?

stubie

Martin Edwards would not allow Fergie to sign him back in 1998 due to his wage demands.

He was a beast of a striker in the most difficult league at the time, Would always guarantee 20+ goals a season hence the reason Roma signed him for big money when he was 31

rotherham_red

Scarily good. Him, Shearer and Salas were undeniably the best pure no.9s of their generation as far as I'm concerned.

Had a Ramadan brain fart, and forgot Ronaldo :lol:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Martin Edwards would not allow Fergie to sign him back in 1998 due to his wage demands.

He was a beast of a striker in the most difficult league at the time, Would always guarantee 20+ goals a season hence the reason Roma signed him for big money when he was 31
This. Also think he was the player SAF slated for requesting goal-scoring bonuses, saying something like, "You're a striker, that's your fecking job." That said, SAF would have certainly pushed forward with Batistuta had the board busted the wage cap sooner. Add Batistuta to that 98-02 side and I've no doubt United are in one/two more CL Finals. He could have made a difference in those tight matches.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Batistuta's loyalty, although endearing, really did him a disservice.

He, and pre-injury Shearer were twinned in many ways - which made the '98 World Cup showdown all the more intriguing - but also their loyalty to clubs they were better than cost them countless silverware, goals and fonder eye in rememberance. Interestingly enough, both of them only have the one league title to show for illustrious levels of ability, and both were courted by United (alongside other top teams), only to stay where they were and become folk legends.

Batistuta was never the best striker in the world: Romario and then Ronaldo were in their primes during Bastituta's own prime, and then came Shevchenko - he wasn't the best forward in serie A, either beings as prime Baggio and then prime Del Piero plied their trades during his best years, too. He was, however, in the elite bracket alongside: the aforementioned two 9's; Shearer; Vieri; Raul; Weah, Suker and Stoichkov, all of whom any side that didn't have them would have been delighted with.

Batistuta was so highly regarded that the dream team charity game he played alongside Ronaldo is seen as one of the highlights of the decade:

In modern parlance. Batistuta would be snatched by a giant club and spend a career there and have a 1:1 goal ratio or something very close to it. It should be noted that he was scoring all those goals in Serie A whilst in a team some way off the ones challenging for the title: AC Milan, Juventus and Inter. As stated earlier, his goal tallies, with better service would have undoubtedly risen because his shooting, accuracy, intelligence and timing meant he made the best of service. which he proved with Argentina where his supporting cast were some level above what he had at Fiorentina.

His story is romantic in terms of neither selling out and being a god to the fans of Fiorentina, but also quite tragic in that football wrecked him (he has chronic pain in his legs and is said to struggle even walking moderate distances) and he has 'nothing' to show for it relative to what a striker of his standing usually does.

Irrespective; he's the kind of striker kids wished they could be like, but even in imitation, it's hard to shoot thunderbolts like he did, which gives an even greater sense of awe because his kind of shooting is seen a few times per generation or two, and you'll never forget it.

Reactions: Invictus
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

One of the players I most wanted us to sign. Then he could have scored FOR us instead of against.

Bogga

In modern parlance. Batistuta would be snatched by a giant club and spend a career there and have a 1:1 goal ratio or something very close to it. It should be noted that he was scoring all those goals in Serie A whilst in a team some way off the ones challenging for the title: AC Milan, Juventus and Inter. As stated earlier, his goal tallies, with better service would have undoubtedly risen because his shooting, accuracy, intelligence and timing meant he made the best of service. which he proved with Argentina where his supporting cast were some level above what he had at Fiorentina.
You could say he was like Fernandes was for Sporting. Imagine how many more assists he would've had if Sporting had som better men up front. At least Viola had Rui Costa and Toldo who were quite good players back then...

Last edited:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I think we were linked with him and Kluivert in the same year, but ended up going with Yorke.
Interesting really, back then, I'd guess Yorke would have been the one redcafe would have wanted least, but ended up being a great buy

Number32

The variety even in just the first 6-7 goals of this video?

Solo runs, scissor kicks, headers, chips, poachers goals, screamers.

I always pick Ruud in my AT United XI... but I'd put Batistuta above him.
Good clip, never saw his early career in Serie A. Did he nutmeged Franco Baresi before scoring a goal? Wow.. thats was a criminal to disrespect one of the greatest defender of all time.

DVG7

I have nothing but admiration for world class players who chose to stay at the club that idolized him and attempt to win trophies there.

eltigreFalcao

he was second only to Ronaldo really.
This is true, it was not going to be possible to overshadow Ronaldo in those years.

Batigol is the first ever footballer that i idolized, my first football love. I was about 6 or 7 when I came to know about him but it definitely changed my life as a football fan. As soon as I knew Ronaldo, though, I could not resist to simply putting all my atention to him

Reactions: Invictus

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
This is true, it was not going to be possible to overshadow Ronaldo in those years.

Batigol is the first ever footballer that i idolized, my first football love. I was about 6 or 7 when I came to know about him but it definitely changed my life as a football fan. As soon as I knew Ronaldo, though, I could not resist to simply putting all my atention to him
Been thinking of which modern striker plays like Batistuta and I see your moniker. Prime Falcao

AKDevil

Probably my favourite No9 of all time. Accept Ronaldo was better but loved Batistuta. The confidence in his finishing ... nothing half-hearted about it. Every shot smashed in. Next to Ronaldinho on list of players I wish we signed.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
When I grew up watching Football Italia on Channel 4, Fiorentina became my favourite team so a result Batistuta became my favourite player in Serie A (closely followed by Rui Costa - I loved their link up play). He was definitely a complete striker, who had superb upper body strength and could hit the ball with incredible power, combining that with deft touches on the ball and the ability to turn defenders with ease. As others have said, the sheer variety of the types of goals that he scored was remarkable.

From 1991-2001, he scored 171 goals in 271 appearances for Roma and Fiorentina in Serie A (excluding their 1993/1994 season in Serie B), despite spending most of that time playing for a team that wasn't in serious title contention in Serie A and was even relegated one year, and despite Serie A being the best and hardest league in the world by a considerable distance for much of that period. Combine that with his record for Argentina, playing an instrumental role as they won 1991 and 1993 Copa Americas and scoring 10 goals at World Cups including hat-tricks in 1994 and 1998, and he had an incredible record at both club and international level. Even though I was sad to see him leave Fiorentina in 2000, I was delighted that he won the Scudetto with Roma the next season. When they signed him, everyone knew that he offered a water-tight guarantee of goals, and he definitely played a major role behind that success.

thepolice123

Falcao didnt have the power and range batigol did.
Falcao is probably the closest for the positions he take up in the box and also both also have the same powerful headers.

Hard to find someone like Batigol in today's game. I think what made him popular are less required in today's game. Forwards are not encouraged to take long shots or rather low percentage shots. They are also more involved in build ups rather than physical battles with the opposition defence.

Matt007a

A world class player for sure. He was one of the most rounded number 9s there has ever been. Smart and clinical inside the box and devastating anywhere up to 30 yards. Usually the harder you hit the ball, the less control you have, but Batigol had such accuracy even when he was leathering it at pull pelt.

The video above playing up front with R9 is a thing of beauty. They’d never played together for club or country but they look like they’re telepathically linked. Two strikers who just knew how to make and score all types of goals.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He was about as good as Dong...