Just how good was Gabriel Batistuta?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Some people underestimate the effect Batistuta would have had in the EPL back when he was being linked to us. Batigol played in a meah side during the Serie A golden age. At the time the Serie A was shitting WC defenders out of fun. Can you imagine a guy who could score goals left right and centre despite facing the likes of Baresi, Maldini, Nesta, Aldair, Vierchowod, Costacurta and Bergomi on a weekly basis do to the likes of Adams, Keown, Venison, Walker and co? Batistuta was way superior to the likes of Cole, Dublin, Sheringham, Sutton, Hassenbaink and Phillips who ended up topping the EPL table and on top of that he would be supplied with chances by the likes of Cantona, Keane, Giggs, Beckham/Kanchelskis and Scholes/Ince.

Batistuta would have added an extra CL and a couple of more EPL titles in our name.

Batistuta v Vieri v F. Inzaghi?

How would you all rank these great strikers in Serie A?
Vieri was an bull (that was his nickname btw). A solid block of pure muscle, with an eye for goal and whom, in his prime, was deceivingly fast. Inzaghi was a world class goal poacher. He added little apart from that. Batistuta on the other hand was a complete player. He was technically gifted, he worked hard for the team, he was a leader, he had a great eye for goal, he was strong and he could score from inside and outside of the box. As Vieri said it "I'm honoured to be compared to Batistuta, even if I don't think that it's true," Vieri grinned. "He was the best striker in the world for several years and we played together at Inter."

Coops73

Absolute beast of a player, lethal both inside and outside the box. Would have loved to seen him here.
Same, when I was a bairn back in the late 90s he was the one player I really wanted and I think we were linked with him a lot so I was gutted when we signed Dwight York in 98? but obviously the rest is history confirming to me that I know feck all about football and ultimately killing the muppet in me.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

@devilish

To illustrate your point look how dominant he was against arguably two of the strongest sides in EPL history.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
As far as strikers go I would put Romario, Ronaldo, Pele, (C.Ronaldo, Messi) above him, then I'd stop.

RooneyLegend

As far as strikers go I would put Romario, Ronaldo, Pele, (C.Ronaldo, Messi) above him, then I'd stop.
Cant mention great strikers of any era and not have Van Basten there. He's the gold standard for no9's.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

@devilish

To illustrate your point look how dominant he was against arguably two of the strongest sides in EPL history.
Back in the day the gap between the Serie A and the EPL was clear. The EPL on almost everything from tactics to talent. I remember us playing a friendly against Juventus in the early 90s and we struggled going past their midfield. Meanwhile Serie A rejects like Rush and Bergkamp would come in the EPL and do extremely well. Batigol on the other hand was the best striker in the Serie A of the time. At times he was single handedly keeping Fiorentina in the Serie A. On top of that, he ticked all the boxes to become a United legend. He had leadership, he had great skill, he had superb work rate and he was sensitive of what fans thought. Batigol and Cantona upfront with Keane, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs would have been untouchable.

Throughout the years we were strongly linked with so many players. Out of the lot I can only think of 4 players who were literally made to play for us. Such term include

a- they were top players
b- they had the right attitude to play for us
c- we would have improved with them and they would have improved by playing with us.

Batistuta was one of them. The others were Roberto Baggio, Javier Zanetti and Paulo Maldini. Baggio and Batistuta in particular needed Sir Alex badly. The former was the best deep lying striker I've ever seen. Unfortunately he was also a sensitive lad who needed a top man manager something that was unheard of at the time especially in the Serie A. Batigol needed a top side who permitted him to unleash his skill and fully express his game

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Cant mention great strikers of any era and not have Van Basten there. He's the gold standard for no9's.
Yeah, but for injuries people would have him in the same bracket as the Brazilian Ronaldo. Not as skilful but absolutely lethal and very classy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He was awesome.

It was a toss up between him and Baggio as my favourite player growing up.
Baggio had a very 90s haircut that gives him the edge. The mullet needs to make a comeback.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In terms of best pure no.9/striker i've ever seen:
Tier 1: L.Ronaldo
Tier 2a: Romario, Van Basten, Batistuta
Tier 2b: Suarez, Ruud, Shearer, Shevchenko

(excluding all the no.10 or wing forwards ie. Ronaldo/Messi/Henry/Neymar/Baggio)

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

That goal he scored at Old Trafford. If I had a favourite goal scored against United that would be it, just hammered it.

Charlie Foley

The real question is where he ranks in relation to Barcelona in 2010/11 vs in 2014/15

Charlie Foley

Was at that game. Probably the best goal I ever seen scored against United live.
There are 2 part highlights of that game on YouTube that are a brilliant watch.

When Roy Keane slammed in that goal for us, one of my favourite non trophy-related moments as a United fan.

Charlie Foley

guerriero mai domo, duro nella lotta e leale nell’animo.

“He is a warrior who will not surrender, who is hard in the fight but is fair in the soul.”

onemanarmy

I always loved seeing him play. Very loyal player, and banged in goals for fun in the best league in the world at that moment.

I'm very nostalgic of those Italian teams in the early to mid 90's.