Just how good was Robin Van Persie and why we need to buy Kane.

George the Cat

When we signed RVP - we had just got 89 points and lost the title on goal difference to City.

At this moment in time is not as simple as sign Kane = win title. We have a much bigger gap to close, and we don't have SAF.

Currently we concede too many goals and don't create enough chances. Statistically we're actually already clinical relative to the amount of chances we create, we just don't create anywhere near enough.
Yeah and we won 4 of the previous 6 titles. RVP was a brilliant signing but I’m not buying the ‘gave us the confidence to win titles’ as we were winning them anyway.

Martialfc

RVP was pure class. The dutchman oozed confidence and was just brilliant. God what I’d do to have him now. His technique was second to none i remember watching a video on him and he said “football is all about body positioning” never a truer statement. RVP knew what he had to do before the ball arrived at his feet. That’s the qualities of a true striker. Not like Martial or Rashford who just run at the defender and hope to get lucky. The amount of times I watch them two play and they haven’t got a clue what they are going to do before they do it!

Kane has similarities to RVP you can tell, he is intelligent in the way he plays the game. I truly hope we sign a good CDM, Right winger and a striker in the transfer window. I think if we focus on these positions and get true quality I don’t think we would be too far away from a title challenge!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
That's not a fact, Vidic was still a beast at Inter, Evra was still got it at Juve and playing in UCL final, Van Persie had a great world cup, Carrick was still at his best. They still had 1-2 years left to play in elite level, but Van Gaal didn't want them because he wanted to rebuild completely with fresh and young players.
23 appearances and beast? Evra was okay, nothing amazing and Van Persie apart from a handful of games didn't go on to do much. Ferdinand, Valencia, Nani etc all aged pretty badly as well

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Bro, we're talking just 10 weeks between Moyes taking over a Premiership winning team. Hardly time to show their age given the timescales.
It was the genius of sir alex holding them together. You could see it in our performances in his last year. Also, at the end of a players career you "lose it" way faster. It happens within months or a week. That is why you'll see players playing for a winning premier league side at 32 to go to MLS at 33. The physical dominance you had escapes you fast. It was clear for instance that Ferdinand was just finished.

9 Stone Elvis

It was the genius of sir alex holding them together. You could see it in our performances in his last year. Also, at the end of a players career you "lose it" way faster. It happens within months or a week. That is why you'll see players playing for a winning premier league side at 32 to go to MLS at 33. The physical dominance you had escapes you fast. It was clear for instance that Ferdinand was just finished.
Its an insult to all concerned to make these excuses for Moyes.

He took over a team that had just won the title in May by a large margin. He spent £65m on the team and added Januzaj and turned them into a 7th place side. If the team wasn't good enough in his eyes he had money to make it good enough. He literally had every tool at his disposal to do what he wanted and frankly he blew it. Maybe the players weren't motivated to go again after Fergie left - thats fine, bring in some new faces, do whatever you think, show the world that you have a plan. Instead you come out with he immortal line "Even Sir Alex would struggle with this team" seemingly forgetting that Sir Alex delivered the title with that team. If Moyes got even one aspect of the job correct - style of play, tactics, media dealings, player interaction or anything else Im sure he would have been given more time but it was plain to see from almost his first day when he announced he was talking to Sir Alex that it wasn't going to work.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I must admit I am low-key obsessed with this compilation and have been for years now. Looking back at some of the goals and I get goosebumps. Think the music and the build-up of the compilation helps, adding in the voice over and the clips of him being interviewed, it is just *chefs kiss*

Exhibit A: The goal against West Ham. Firstly, Gigg's pass is unreal, probably the best pass of the season. Secondly the first touch from RvP, again utterly unreal, then his second touch to just take it away from the defender. I remember watching it live and was just gobsmacked.

Exhibit B: The goal against Arsenal. I remember exactly where I was. Stood in a car park in Sussex, waiting for the rest of my team to arrive. Joked that RvP was going to score in the first minute. Phone buzz goes off and I think it was in the second minute, BANG, he's scored. Utterly clinical. "You could have put money on it".

Exhibit C: Goal against Fulham, out of nowhere, Evra cross and half volley, facing away from goal, bends it around the defender into the far corner. Then realize the excitement at his signing has been justified.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
RVP was pure class. The dutchman oozed confidence and was just brilliant. God what I’d do to have him now. His technique was second to none i remember watching a video on him and he said “football is all about body positioning” never a truer statement. RVP knew what he had to do before the ball arrived at his feet. That’s the qualities of a true striker. Not like Martial or Rashford who just run at the defender and hope to get lucky. The amount of times I watch them two play and they haven’t got a clue what they are going to do before they do it!

Kane has similarities to RVP you can tell, he is intelligent in the way he plays the game. I truly hope we sign a good CDM, Right winger and a striker in the transfer window. I think if we focus on these positions and get true quality I don’t think we would be too far away from a title challenge!
I completely agree, the way RVP adjusted his body before taking a shot was incredible. He was our last legendary striker. Cavani comes second.
On the other hand Rashford and Martial are not strikers. They are wingers, they have speed and technical ability but they do not have a striker instinct nor they are great goal scorers. They will never be and we have to accept that.
We certainly need a striker but I believe our priorities right now are other positions and Cavani can play another season at a good level. Maybe Greenwood will develop into a top striker, who knows.

They will never be and we have to accept that.
I mean, I would draw a comparison with Van Persie himself before definitely concluding this.

When he was 25, the prevailing opinion around him (along with the injuries he'd already started to pick up) was "scores great goals but isn't a reliable finisher, can't play up front without a partner".

It wasn't until Arsenal sold Adebayor to City that Van Persie was trusted as their main center forward. He looked great for a couple of months that season, then got injured again, then came back in early '11 and was the best striker in the country until Fergie's retirement.

It's quite common for young attackers to grow into the central striker role.

James Peril

Kane is leaving Spurs because he wants to make up for the loyalty he showed over the years. He wants the sure thing, he wants to lift that Premier League-trophy before he’s 30. No way is he picking United under Ole Solskjær, no way. I think he’ll join City, go abroad - or just stay. The last option would be devastating for him, but let’s not pretend he is living a disasterous life.