Just realised why I dislike LVG | Is the manager obliged to show passion on the bench?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's got nothing to do with football though.

If my job went tits because something happened in work. I'd be pretty emotional about it and outwardly it may look to other people that I cared about what I was doing.

I'm not saying I would do this to show people I cared. But if you have enough of an emotional investment in what you're doing it shows.

maybe as a fan I'd like to know that when the teams going down the shitter the manager actually cares.
And it clearly shows that he cares. Otherwise youre not looking closely enough. He's appeared furious and distraught many times this season. You dont need arms waving about to see it. Just have a look at his post match interviews to see his emotion very apparent on his face, or his hands over his face when we concede.

At the same time on a rare happy day when we've done well he's usually beaming in those interviews and otherwise.

Fener1907

Passion is a quality that English people fixate on too much. That's why they get so deluded when every international tournament rolls around, only to end up realising that passion is overrated and quality can actually get you places instead.

Lennon

No, he showed some emotions against Midtjylland. Ask Giggs! Iirc, after the 3rd or 4th goal he turned into Mike Tyson mode and punched him like a sandbag!

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
And it has nothing to do with his philosophy, or anything to do with what's happening on the pitch.

His reaction - or non-reaction - to our goal. Not a glimmer of anything resembling passion - or a glimmer of anything.

So, do outward signs of passion matter?? Should I be judging him on that? Probably not, but am not impressed.
You can criticise Van Gaal for many things, but lack of passion isn't one of them. He's one of the most passionate emotional managers I know.

From about 2 minutes in...

Jcrossley94

You can criticise Van Gaal for many things, but lack of passion isn't one of them. He's one of the most passionate emotional managers I know.

From about 2 minutes in...
Is that reflective of his personality now though? doesn't seem to me to be the same man as we've seen in videos of him in the past like the one above... Seems to have lost that spark that he had in previous years. Looks now as though he's just waiting to retire.

Doesn't even look like he's the same manager of 2 years ago...

Rams

Is that reflective of his personality now though? doesn't seem to me to be the same man as we've seen in videos of him in the past like the one above... Seems to have lost that spark that he had in previous years. Looks now as though he's just waiting to retire.

Doesn't even look like he's the same manager of 2 years ago...

I can assure you that the United squad will have received plenty of hairdryer moments over the past 2 seasons...

Jcrossley94

I can assure you that the United squad will have received plenty of hairdryer moments over the past 2 seasons...
I don't doubt that, and you're right, Ive seen lots of videos of LVG being emotional on the touchline in the past, But hairdryer moments in the dressing room surely cant be the only measure of a managers emotional capacity?

Im at a bit of a loss why he has resigned himself permanently to the touchline this season, During the World cup and at his previous clubs, ive seen him sat with the clipboard but he still spent a fair amount of time on the touchline being animated, why has he turned that down completely this season to him permanently sat in his chair?

(im not suggesting he has to be on his feet for the whole match shouting and screaming, im just at a loss why he has made that transition from having a mix, to completely resigning to his seat here)

Rams

I don't doubt that, and you're right, Ive seen lots of videos of LVG being emotional on the touchline in the past, But hairdryer moments in the dressing room surely cant be the only measure of a managers emotional capacity?

Im at a bit of a loss why he has resigned himself permanently to the touchline this season, During the World cup and at his previous clubs, ive seen him sat with the clipboard but he still spent a fair amount of time on the touchline being animated, why has he turned that down completely this season to him permanently sat in his chair?

(im not suggesting he has to be on his feet for the whole match shouting and screaming, im just at a loss why he has made that transition from having a mix, to completely resigning to his seat here)
LvG has made no secret that he does not believe shouting & screaming from the touchline during a match is effective. He'll wait until the dressing room for that. From my personal experience of playing football for over 20 years, I found managers' shouting & screaming from the touchline more of a distraction than an help.

Jcrossley94

LvG has made no secret that he does not believe shouting & screaming from the touchline during a match is effective. He'll wait until the dressing room for that. From my personal experience of playing football for over 20 years, I found managers' shouting & screaming from the touchline more of a distraction than an help.
I know, I recognise that... and have heard him eluding to that plenty of times, and similar to you, i don't particularly buy into the premise that managers can make all that much of an influence with 75,000 fans shouting also (although as a fan i do admire coaches like Klopp and Mourinho who seem to be connected to the game in an entirely different way on the touchline) . However my point and question is directed towards why LVG has made that decline from being a manager who was fairly active on the touchline, to now in 2016 where he spends the entire game sat in his seat.. im just interested to know why you think that is.. is it a philosophy thing, where he has changed his outlook.. Is it a mentality thing, where he doesnt feel he has the stature or confidence anymore to be up there? Because not all that long ago, he had a fairly active role, so i wonder at what point that changed and why.. just interest, im not firing shots at him, just interested.

Treble

And it has nothing to do with his philosophy, or anything to do with what's happening on the pitch.

His reaction - or non-reaction - to our goal. Not a glimmer of anything resembling passion - or a glimmer of anything.

So, do outward signs of passion matter?? Should I be judging him on that? Probably not, but am not impressed.
Sorry but this is the daftest reason to dislike LVG. Would you still dislike him if we were winning the league and progressing in the CL while playing superb football?

Rams

I know, I recognise that... and have heard him eluding to that plenty of times, and similar to you, i don't particularly buy into the premise that managers can make all that much of an influence with 75,000 fans shouting also (although as a fan i do admire coaches like Klopp and Mourinho who seem to be connected to the game in an entirely different way on the touchline) . However my point and question is directed towards why LVG has made that decline from being a manager who was fairly active on the touchline, to now in 2016 where he spends the entire game sat in his seat.. im just interested to know why you think that is.. is it a philosophy thing, where he has changed his outlook.. Is it a mentality thing, where he doesnt feel he has the stature or confidence anymore to be up there? Because not all that long ago, he had a fairly active role, so i wonder at what point that changed and why.. just interest, im not firing shots at him, just interested.
LvG has never been fairly active on the touch line. He hardly moved an inch when he was Ajax manager, exceptions granted.

Jcrossley94

LvG has never been fairly active on the touch line. He hardly moved an inch when he was Ajax manager, exceptions granted.
Okay, Ill take your word for that, i can only go off the limited information ive seen... Although i remember him being very active at the world cup in particular matches.

Rams

Okay, Ill take your word for that, i can only go off the limited information ive seen... Although i remember him being very active at the world cup in particular matches.
Not during the match he wasn't. He was very very active during the intervals though.

Rams

Just to put it on record; I'm not convinced keeping LvG would be the right thing to do considering considering all the negativity surrounding him. I can't judge the job he's doing behind the scenes, but the performances by our first team have simply not been good enough. However, I can't help feeling that sacking LvG will be like breaking up with that girlfriend where you find out how good she was for you until it was too late. Besides, you never know what you get in return.
LvG is still one of the best coaches in football, just ask Guardiola or Mourinho what they think.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Passion is a quality that English people fixate on too much. That's why they get so deluded when every international tournament rolls around, only to end up realising that passion is overrated and quality can actually get you places instead.
True, even Martial got criticised for just getting on with it and keeping concentrated after a missed chance, and Depay for not cheering much after he scored in Denmark. I think it's a general problem with fans that tend to focus on what they can see, and forget about all the stuff that is more important but not shown to them. Players are often judged to have qualities like fighting spirit just because they make a fist, act irritated or have a nasty facial expression. It means shit of course, fighting spirit shows itself in the fight. It's lovely for a dramatized match report, but that doesn't make it important.

After a goal, the camera switches to Van Gaal, and he's writing. Of course, that's a good time to write because the players celebrating the goal is not important to watch. The reason the camera is not on the players but on Van Gaal is the same why Van Gaal's eyes aren't on the players but on his paper: there's not much interesting to see on the pitch at that moment. So it looks like he's always writing.

Nontheless I think he should be more on the touchline. He's right about not beeing able to make real changes from the touchline, but sometimes the players wanted to rush the second goal, and wasted possession too much, or were too concerned about possession and lacked urgency. I think things like could be corrected by a shouting manager on the touchline.

Another reason is that it influences referees. I think English referees in general are likeable in their specific English approach of the game, but they tend to be easily intimidated by big name players and groups of players surrounding them, and managers getting angry by their decisions.

Also, as a minor point, it could help the chemistry between the players and the crowd. This hasn't always been there and even been negative, for example I can imagine that if the players are dwelling and passing sideways, and the manager spurs them on into more urgency, the crowd can join in with the manager instead of booing the dwelling.

Jcrossley94

Just to put it on record; I'm not convinced keeping LvG would be the right thing to do considering considering all the negativity surrounding him. I can't judge the job he's doing behind the scenes, but the performances by our first team have simply not been good enough. However, I can't help feeling that sacking LvG will be like breaking up with that girlfriend where you find out how good she was for you until it was too late. Besides, you never know what you get in return.
LvG is still one of the best coaches in football, just ask Guardiola or Mourinho what they think.
I think Van Gaal is a very good coach, inarguably his experience and knowledge of the game are up there with the very best, i just don't think he has adapted his philosophy to the English game, or our squad very well... We dont have that many players that have the creative or tactical nous to break open defences that are compact, He has tried a few different formations but im not sure he still knows, 1. which the best one for the team is, and 2. what his best team actually is. Of course this season, it hasnt helped the amount of injuries we've got, but when you have a thin squad going in to the season, thats a risk you take...

Rams

I think Van Gaal is a very good coach, inarguably his experience and knowledge of the game are up there with the very best, i just don't think he has adapted his philosophy to the English game, or our squad very well... We dont have that many players that have the creative or tactical nous to break open defences that are compact, He has tried a few different formations but im not sure he still knows, 1. which the best one for the team is, and 2. what his best team actually is. Of course this season, it hasnt helped the amount of injuries we've got, but when you have a thin squad going in to the season, thats a risk you take...
Yep, fair criticism imo.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I know what it is. He's either a split personality or he has a twin - there are times when he is arrogant to the point of rudeness and has like a couldn't care less attitude. I found it unbelievable that he couldn't raise a smile when we equalised on Thursday, but he looked kind of impatient about something, and it did wind me up, because surely anyone who loves the club would have shown some sign of pleasure, or relief, or whatever. On the other hand, there are other times, when he's jovial and almost childlike and quite lovable. He's definitely an enigma.

I did over-react a bit, because it wasn't the first time I'd seen LVG fail to react to a goal - I think if it was his way, we could get used to it, but it's weird how at times he's like stone, and other times buoyant. I did feel that the question re passion was generically relevant and I apologise for not wording it in a way that made it obvious.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
hilarious. . if he did shit like that more often. We'd love that.

comlag

LVG certainly knows how to capitalise on a good moment. He was getting a standing ovation just for remonstrating with the 4th official so he played the role well. Would have been a mistake had we gone on to lose. A risky move but fecking hell it was funny.