Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
How exactly? He was playing pretty well in midfield up until December. In fact, had we not handed you £60m to keep FFP / PSR from the door, I would have been fairly happy with his performances. If it was a £40m transfer from Brighton, for example, no one would have batted an eyelid.

And since January he's been the most productive CF in the league. Who cares if "the narrative was that Chelsea ruined him and he isn't a CF"? I'm concerned (like most fans, I think) about how players perform on the pitch.
He was being talked about as one of the flops of the season, he was playing poorly. He even was gifted a sympathy penalty because people felt sorry for him.
He literally is the same player he was at Chelsea, still dont know his best postion, has a purple patch around this time of the season. Most of his goals come vs weaker sides, poor creativity, still cant dribble and still has more bad games than he does good.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
"he is the same player he was at Chelsea" do some of you have a contractual obligation to say this five times a day?

If he is the same player then it was a daft move to let him go to us.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
He was being talked about as one of the flops of the season, he was playing poorly. He even was gifted a sympathy penalty because people felt sorry for him.
He literally is the same player he was at Chelsea, still dont know his best postion, has a purple patch around this time of the season. Most of his goals come vs weaker sides, poor creativity, still cant dribble and still has more bad games than he does good.
Being talked about by who? Lazy pundits and fickle fans? It’s completely irrelevant for me, I’m just concerned about how he’s contributed to the team. You can’t be a key component for a side that is challenging for major honours and be playing poorly.

“Most of his goals come vs weaker teams”… that’s true of literally every striker.

His creativity isn’t poor at all, he’s bagged a fair few assists and would have more if Trossard wasn’t the only reliable finisher in our team (he put two on a plate for Jesus less than 24 hours ago).

His dribbling and hold up play have been pretty effective for us since he’s moved up front and he hasn’t had a bad game in 2024, hence keeping the CF slot despite Jesus returning to fitness.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Being talked about by who? Lazy pundits and fickle fans? It’s completely irrelevant for me, I’m just concerned about how he’s contributed to the team. You can’t be a key component for a side that is challenging for major honours and be playing poorly.

“Most of his goals come vs weaker teams”… that’s true of literally every striker.

His creativity isn’t poor at all, he’s bagged a fair few assists and would have more if Trossard wasn’t the only reliable finisher in our team (he put two on a plate for Jesus less than 24 hours ago).

His dribbling and hold up play have been pretty effective for us since he’s moved up front and he hasn’t had a bad game in 2024, hence keeping the CF slot despite Jesus returning to fitness.
I'd put a lot of money on being a better header of the ball than Gabby Jesus. That first miss was comically bad.

Bobski

Looking at some posts and the title of this topic... Some Manchester United fans also struggle to admit that Havertz is a good player :lol:
Fairly standard lazy ass meme culture at work. Once a player gets a reputation or a generalization becomes popular around them most casual watchers seem incapable of deviating from the established narrative.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'd put a lot of money on being a better header of the ball than Gabby Jesus. That first miss was comically bad.
Pretty sure something close to half his goals for us in one particular season were headers. He’s pretty good at them.

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Agree with the first paragraph more or less. He took some time to bed in but I think he's now found his place in the team as our CF. Whether things change and we look to bolster our options in the summer is a different story, but for now Arteta has definitely found his best position upfront. I don't believe this is just a purple patch because I think our team overall is playing too well for him not to thrive and IMO he'll only improve under Arteta. Don't agree about poor creativity but I do think he's not the most aesthetically pleasing or flashy player, who probably does his best work off the ball. But the way he finds space, draws out defenders and incredible workrate IMO makes up for being a poor dribbler or not the best passer.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
"he is the same player he was at Chelsea" do some of you have a contractual obligation to say this five times a day?

Was just never a good fit for us. Three years where there were maybe a few months where he looked like the kind of player we needed but he went missing way too much. Good for him if he's finally found himself.

Though I feel more than his actual level as a player, his salary and contract situation may have played a larger part as to why he was sold. He had two years left on a £250K/wk deal so the options last summer were either to extend him on similar terms or look to sell him while he still had a decent enough value. With the kind of salaries the club have been offering to new signings, extending Havertz' contract on that kind of wages could have been problematic within the squad and set a nasty precedent that you don't even have to perform to continue earning massive amounts of money. Was just best for all parties he moved on when he did.

Havertz staying would almost certainly have meant no Palmer for us so I for one am not looking back one bit. I don't think Havertz and Palmer could ever co-exist in a team, they're too similar.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wasn't looking forward to him leading the line for Germany at the Euro's but you can't ignore his form for Arsenal, and Germany lately.

Still think his best position is as a CAM/SS behind a striker, rather than being the striker himself, but we don't have any great options in any case so might as well still go with him and hope for the best.

Redstain

People vastly overrate state the importance of getting an out and out goalscorer as a number 9. Most teams hoping to compete would be better off with an all rounder who helps the other attacking players maximize their output and keeps the attacking play unpredictable.
Again this is only relevant when players are playing under very well refined systems and goals are attributed across from more than one position. Most teams in world football don't achieve that level of pedigree from a tactical standpoint.

The example of Havertz isn't about the ascendancy of his own individual competence but rather the astuteness of the coach who he is deployed under. It's a classic example of why Foden is Foden at City under Pep and why he's lesser the extent of himself for England under Southgate.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Again this is only relevant when players are playing under very well refined systems and goals are attributed across from more than one position. Most teams in world football don't achieve that level of pedigree from a tactical standpoint.

The example of Havertz isn't about the ascendancy of his own individual competence but rather the astuteness of the coach who he is deployed under. It's a classic example of why Foden is Foden at City under Pep and why he's lesser the extent of himself for England under Southgate.
It was a good business for all 3 parties involved. Everyone is happy in the end.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It was a good business for all 3 parties involved. Everyone is happy in the end.
I guess it depends if his current form carries on long term, no? If it's just a purple patch, like some players are capable of, and he reverts to the type of form he showed in his early days with you, would you call it a successful transfer?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I guess it depends if his current form carries on long term, no? If it's just a purple patch, like some players are capable of, and he reverts to the type of form he showed in his early days with you, would you call it a successful transfer?
I never thought he was that bad earlier in the season. Sure, looked like we overpaid and he had a couple of stinkers, but I was willing to give him more time. While I wanted/expected more from him, I never thought he was a liability in midfield. He was getting into some good positions and probably should have scored 2-3 goals before the pity penalty at Bournemouth. He just didn't seamlessly slot into the team like Rice did, unfortunately. I'd expect that now, if we needed him to play in midfield, he'd do much better.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I never thought he was that bad earlier in the season. Sure, looked like we overpaid and he had a couple of stinkers, but I was willing to give him more time. While I wanted/expected more from him, I never thought he was a liability in midfield. He was getting into some good positions and probably should have scored 2-3 goals before the pity penalty at Bournemouth. He just didn't seamlessly slot into the team like Rice did, unfortunately. I'd expect that now, if we needed him to play in midfield, he'd do much better.
Nah, he was very bad early on.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
You can only judge player based on present form, just like Utd rewarded Rashford with a big fat contract after scored over 30 goals.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He's just doing what he did at Chelsea. When push comes to shove, he'll wilt like he's always done.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
You're kind of making my point for me, though.
Your only point is Havertz was an average player and Arsenal overpaid for him. His current form is only temporary and he will be back to being average soon. He is a bad business for Arsenal and it is 60 million down the drain. I got that.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Your only point is Havertz was an average player and Arsenal overpaid for him. His current form is only temporary and he will be back to being average soon. He is a bad business for Arsenal and it is 60 million down the drain. I got that.
No, that wasn't my point at all. It's ok that you didn't get it though.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea

Why? He's not a £65M player in the slightest.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
You are aware you paid £115m for Moises Caicedo?

What is a £65m player? Who cares? It's not my money.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
He's just doing what he did at Chelsea. When push comes to shove, he'll wilt like he's always done.
He did score the first and only goal in a CL final for Chelsea so if he does that in another CL final I'll definitely take that "wilting" in the highest pressure game, something that even Henry couldn't do. (Note I am not saying he'll be better than Henry for us)

The Corinthian

He did score the first and only goal in a CL final for Chelsea so if he does that in another CL final I'll definitely take that "wilting" in the highest pressure game, something that even Henry couldn't do. (Note I am not saying he'll be better than Henry for us)
That was Drogba.

Also him wilting wasn’t about a high stakes game but his general passitivity and uselessness as games pass him by other than a purple patch here and there.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That was Drogba.

Also him wilting wasn’t about a high stakes game but his general passitivity and uselessness as games pass him by other than a purple patch here and there.
Um actually I think you'll both find that Lampard scored first in a CL final for Chelsea.

Also re: him wilting; don't think that's actually a fair comment. If anything he failed to consistently deliver against crap sides for Chelsea but in big moments he stepped up pretty regularly (tremendous in the CL run against Madrid and City, won the Club WC with a last minute penalty, scored against Liverpool & ran Dortmund ragged the following year, etc).

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
That was Drogba.

Um actually I think you'll both find that Lampard scored first in a CL final for Chelsea.

Also re: him wilting; don't think that's actually a fair comment. If anything he failed to consistently deliver against crap sides for Chelsea but in big moments he stepped up pretty regularly (tremendous in the CL run against Madrid and City, won the Club WC with a last minute penalty, scored against Liverpool & ran Dortmund ragged the following year, etc).
I meant the first and only goal of a CL Final match _ specifically the 2021 final.

Otherwise I'm in complete agreement with MagicFoolBus (great name btw!)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
He definitely shouldn't play in midfield. Either starting CF or "super" sub

The Corinthian

He’s naff. He’ll have a purple patch Feb-Mar next year but does f all in 90% of the other games .