Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Meh, just a random Bayern journo no-one's ever heard of upset a German talent dared to adhere to the demands of the Russian mob strongmen who coerced him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
That's a funny article.

Journo's get so blinded by a nationalistic and precious viewpoint when one of their country men/woman isn't a instant success abroad.

cyberman

Meh, just a random Bayern jouro no-one's ever heard of upset a German talent dared to adhere to the demands of the Russian mob strongmen who coerced him.
Plus Germans seem to think the sun shines out of Bayerns ass. Its unhealthy

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
He has been very underwhelming (statement of the year) so far, but if I were Chelsea I would really try to keep investing in him and giving him chances. He is obviously still very very young and coming from a very different league, and we all know the potential is there.. He could be one of those players who really needs time to adapt to another life, another league, a different environment and who will be able to excel once he has settled..

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Meh, just a random Bayern journo no-one's ever heard of upset a German talent dared to adhere to the demands of the Russian mob strongmen who coerced him.
That's a funny article.

Journo's get so blinded by a nationalistic and precious viewpoint when one of their country men/woman isn't a instant success abroad.
Bild is our equivalent of the Sun, so obviously it's best ignored.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Sorry.. Didn't realise Havertz should be absolved from criticism because he's a German talent.
He shouldn't be crucfied either just because he had a bad 1st (almost) half season.
It's actually not that easy if you move to another country while you are 21 and you are the most expensive player in history of your country and league. That can mess with your head and confidence.

I'd say wait at least until the end of the season before you let him burn in hellfire.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
If Chelsea continue mismanaging him, Bayern will buy him in a couple of years for less than half of what Chelsea paid, so not sure why the writer is so upset. He is an impressive talent and if he picks his next club with more care, he would go on to have a successful career like Jerome Boateng.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
If Chelsea continue mismanaging him, Bayern will buy him in a couple of years for less than half of what Chelsea paid, so not sure why the writer is so upset. He is an impressive talent and if he picks his next club with more care, he would go on to have a successful career like Jerome Boateng.
2023 summer would be a perfect time to have bulked up, value significantly tanked after COVID induced price adjustments, tired of London, homesick 20M transfer to Bayern and replace Muller.

united for life

I wouldn’t write him off just yet. Just as i won’t write van de beek off. He’s a young player leaving his country for the first time and going to a league much different to what he is used to. If you think about it, werner isnt doing great either. So it takes time.

to add to all that, he is trying to settle into a team that as a whole is not settled. How many signing did chelsea make this year? 6-7? This means the team is significantly disrupted and requires proper assembly. This is what lampard needs to take care of.

another area key to havertz’s progress is figuring out his best position. Is he a winger or a #10?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
So is he any good or is the German league a lot shitter than we all thought it was?
I think he is a top player. And will come good and show his qualities. He needs to be playing just behind the striker. Not on the wing, or too deep like he sometimes is. I'd like to see him just off the striker with Pulisic and Ziyech either side. Just experiment and give it a chance for a handful of games at least. But Lampard does seem to have this lack of wanting to bench Mount. I rate Mount, i dont think he is quite the 'superstar' some fans will claim, but it wont hurt to bench him occasionally and try something new. Cant keep playing someone out of position, to shoehorn others into a side, it makes no sense

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think he's obviously a very good player but like Werner he's having a tough time settling.

I wonder if a big part is down to Lampard failing to implement a system that gets the best out of them with the team. My opinion is he has his favourites, like Mason Mount.

Threesus

I think he will come good. He is very young and he has put very good numbers in the Bundesliga. Even if you don't rate the league, he obviously did something right because the stats and underlying metrics are all very good. I feel like he would work as a false 9, instead of playing on the wings or in midfield.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
So is he any good or is the German league a lot shitter than we all thought it was?
It doesn't neccessarily have to do with the League. Salah struggled against Serie A defences and couldn't score more than 15 in a season. His very first season in EPL and he hit more than double the goals than he did the previous season in Serie A - doesn't mean the EPL is necessarily easier.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
It doesn't neccessarily have to do with the League. Salah struggled against Serie A defences and couldn't score more than 15 in a season. His very first season in EPL and he hit more than double the goals than he did the previous season in Serie A - doesn't mean the EPL is necessarily easier.
Salah did well in italy. To say he didnt is something i read too much

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Salah struggled thats why Liverpool signed him?

crossy1686

career ending
I think he is a top player. And will come good and show his qualities. He needs to be playing just behind the striker. Not on the wing, or too deep like he sometimes is. I'd like to see him just off the striker with Pulisic and Ziyech either side. Just experiment and give it a chance for a handful of games at least. But Lampard does seem to have this lack of wanting to bench Mount. I rate Mount, i dont think he is quite the 'superstar' some fans will claim, but it wont hurt to bench him occasionally and try something new. Cant keep playing someone out of position, to shoehorn others into a side, it makes no sense
My follow up question, why does Lampard insist on player Werner and Havertz out wide? Why not change the formation to suit the players he has instead of watching the confidence drain from them both more and more each game?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
My follow up question, why does Lampard insist on player Werner and Havertz out wide? Why not change the formation to suit the players he has instead of watching the confidence drain from them both more and more each game?
It's slightly separate issues - the problem is we've had injuries so Werner has had to play as a left winger. When used there against deep lying defenses, he has to drop short to receive the ball with his back to goal and he is at best mediocre at this aspect of the game. Once Ziyech is back fit and Pulisic can play on the left, Werner will likely be moved into the middle (assuming Frank has at least half a brain).

Havertz has been played primarily as a right sided 8 in our 4-3-3 - this puts him further from goal that he was in Germany, where he's mostly been a number 10 or false 9 or inside right forward over the previous ~2 years for Leverkusen. Havertz has played there before, but he's still clearly getting to grips with the league and hasn't been helped by a severe case of COVID that left him bedridden in November. He looked quite decent before that even if he wasn't pulling up trees, but since returning his form has fallen off a cliff.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's slightly separate issues - the problem is we've had injuries so Werner has had to play as a left winger. When used there against deep lying defenses, he has to drop short to receive the ball with his back to goal and he is at best mediocre at this aspect of the game. Once Ziyech is back fit and Pulisic can play on the left, Werner will likely be moved into the middle (assuming Frank has at least half a brain).

Havertz has been played primarily as a right sided 8 in our 4-3-3 - this puts him further from goal that he was in Germany, where he's mostly been a number 10 or false 9 or inside right forward over the previous ~2 years for Leverkusen. Havertz has played there before, but he's still clearly getting to grips with the league and hasn't been helped by a severe case of COVID that left him bedridden in November. He looked quite decent before that even if he wasn't pulling up trees, but since returning his form has fallen off a cliff.

Nah, he had his vest performances for us as an 8, too. Haven't watched too much of Chelsea lately so I can't judge but if he's played as an 8 and things don't work out, the cause isn't his position. It's generally hard to play Havertz out of position since he's such a flexibel player. Played as a 9,second striker, 10 and 8 for us without notable drops in quality.

I suspect it has more to do with the style of play. Naturally Havertz is more of a La Liga player and it doesn't make much sense to play him into a classic EPL style team which I feel Lampard is trying to create. He performed best in possession oriented systems, avoiding physical duels, using technique/one twos to free himself from pressing situations etc.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just the 26 goal contributions in 31 Serie A games in his last season. Absolutely desperate to get out of the Serie A and come to the kick and rush PL to flourish!

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He might come good, but it means that he'll have to be built around him to show his best. That alone shows that he's limited in some way. He comes up short when we compare him with someone like Saka, whos played lw, rw, lb, lwb all positions to a high level.

Classical Mechanic

Salah had the second highest xGChain in Europe behind Messi in his last season in Italy. This means that only Messi was involved in more moves that led to goals per 90 minutes in European football that year. That’s why Liverpool signed him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think he can come good since he has talent, has technique and still younger than Werner. I actually think he has less potential to be flop compare to Werner. He has some creativity like Pulisic, the full backs, Ziyech, CHO to utilise one of his main quality lies in the penalty box. But It will depend on the Chelsea's manager whether the manager understands his strength, weakness and understand how to get the best out of him & also coach him.

But then again, it won't surprise me at all if he end up being flop, Bayern sign him cheaper as Muller's replacement and turn into top player. :lol:

saivet

Another poor performance from him. He may well come good, but as someone that didn't watch him in Germany I'm struggling to see what he's good at. I thought we'd see sparks of quality at least.

Chief123

He really does want the most expensive flop trophy from Pepe doesn’t he!