Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
2nd half Havertz definitely improved. Kimmich is world class at RB or in midfield, and I don't really think the midfield was much of a problem as it's not like France were getting all the time in the world in there, it was them lacking the attacking quality. But yeah ideally you would definitely want Kimmich in the middle.

If we're looking at balance, I'm not sure I'd play either of Gundogan and Kroos. Goretzka when fit and Kimmich can be the midfield 2 like for Bayern, Muller the 10 and play Gnabry and Sane on the wings. Can't be a bad idea to just get Bayerns midfield and attack minus Lewandowski out there. Put Werner or Volland as a striker and hope they figure it out with a hot run, Gosens and someone versatile like Can at fullback, and then Rudiger with Hummels or Gunter in the middle. Sucks for Kroos and Gundogan... but when you can pick the 5 players between the defence and striker that Bayern uses... why wouldn't you? You get the club chemistry and they're all world class players in the middle 3 anyway.
Couldn't agree with you more. Low deciding to not leverage that continuity is utterly mad if you ask me. How many of Germany's XI does the 3-4-3 suit? Rudiger and Gosens basically and that's it? It's really a bizarre choice from a bizarre manager.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Couldn't agree with you more. Low deciding to not leverage that continuity is utterly mad if you ask me. How many of Germany's XI does the 3-4-3 suit? Rudiger and Gosens basically and that's it? It's really a bizarre choice from a bizarre manager.
Playing Havertz and Werner together with Müller might have worked better than Gnabry instead of Werner, as these two play it at Chelsea and Müller should in theory be great at using the spaces especially Werner creates. So Löw not only used a system that is not the best for most of his players he also went on to bench players you would need to make it work.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Playing Havertz and Werner together with Müller might have worked better than Gnabry instead of Werner, as these two play it at Chelsea and Müller should in theory be great at using the spaces especially Werner creates. So Löw not only used a system that is not the best for most of his players he also went on to bench players you would need to make it work.
Yeah really remarkable that someone could be so out of touch with the best attributes of his squad? Thought Santos as well was genuinely atrocious for Portugal but Low wasn't too far behind.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah really remarkable that someone could be so out of touch with the best attributes of his squad? Thought Santos as well was genuinely atrocious for Portugal but Low wasn't too far behind.
It's not unfixable issues IMO. With Santos for Portugal I'd say it's similar to Deschamps and France. The talent to do a lot more, but they play pragmatic tournament football which works but is annoying and "just let the star attackers" win it. Southgate does the same. Mancini and Enrique (De Boer and Martinez to a lesser extent too) are the other side who try to implement their style.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's not unfixable issues IMO. With Santos for Portugal I'd say it's similar to Deschamps and France. The talent to do a lot more, but they play pragmatic tournament football which works but is annoying and "just let the star attackers" win it. Southgate does the same. Mancini and Enrique (De Boer and Martinez to a lesser extent too) are the other side who try to implement their style.
At the risk of derailing the thread a bit, I genuinely thought that the Portugal match was perhaps the worst-managed game I've seen in years. The starting XI was fine if a bit predictable, but once it became readily apparent that Hungary were offering very little in attack it was insane to persist with both Danilo and Carvalho in midfield as Portugal simply couldn't move the ball quickly enough. Also, leaving Jota on when he was having an utter catastrophe was insane, as was bringing on Rafa at 0-0 - Rafa is a player who you bring on for counters, but he offers very little between the lines. Felix 100% should have been on. Santos not changing things until the 82nd minute in a match Portugal absolutely had to win given the other teams in the group was completely and utterly indefensible.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Unplayable today. If he starts producing those displays for Chelsea going forward he'll prove to be a bargain.
Very good performance. Though English commentary barely mentioned him... Interesting to see him under Muller's tutilidge. Hopefully not getting too comfortable playing at the Allianz!

Need to sign an experienced regular goal scorer to play with him this window as priority number one.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I thought he muller and gnabrys movement and interchanging was excellent. Made space from nothing created overloads has dias spinning. Great to watch.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
He is pretty raw and tends to drift in and out of games still. Yesterday Müller was screaming at him to make those runs in the box. Could be his body language though, I don't know. Seems miserable as feck everytime he scores, bar maybe in the CL final. Still going by pure raw talent only, he's our most talented attacking player alongside Sané probably.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
He is pretty raw and tends to drift in and out of games still. Yesterday Müller was screaming at him to make those runs in the box. Could be his body language though, I don't know. Seems miserable as feck everytime he scores, bar maybe in the CL final. Still going by pure raw talent only, he's our most talented attacking player alongside Sané probably.
Ya, I could pretty much just copy/paste my last comment in regards to Havertz and use it for his first two games at the EC. Consistency and more energy/involvement remain the things he needs to work on. The huge range in the reactions to his perfomance vs France compared to the one vs Portugal also once again shows that he is truely the new "Özil" in the NT. ;)

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I thought he was poor yesterday and his goal masked how he completely missed his kicks for the first two own goals. He also wasn't active on the offensive front a lot and wasn't creating much, his runs into the box were certainly good and created the three goals, but his finishing was poor.

He was bad against France, I'm not fully convinced he will be great v Hungary.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Our as in German I hope. Or do you already consider him a Bayern player ?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
If he want to play as striker or false 9 in premier league he needs to develop the nasty side a lot. Fight for every ball only give him chances to score frequently. He is getting there in my opinion.

He developed little bit of that nasty side of the game by try to be a nuisance in the box. The own goals were result of that in Portugal game. Looking forward and expecting a lot from him coming season.

Reactions: Cheimoon

cyberman

He looks a good player, not really a great one. Which isn't bad if you ignore the transfer fee

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Our as in German I hope. Or do you already consider him a Bayern player ?
As a German hope. Don't think he'll end up at Bayern in the near future, maybe we could end up getting him for cheap like Sané, but going by past experience with CHO, it is rather unrealistic.

If he want to play as striker or false 9 in premier league he needs to develop the nasty side a lot. Fight for every ball only give him chances to score frequently. He is getting there in my opinion.

He developed little bit of that nasty side of the game by try to be a nuisance in the box. The own goals were result of that in Portugal game. Looking forward and expecting a lot from him coming season.
What surprised me about him is that he was able to stand his own and even occasionally physically coming out on top against the likes of Dias/Ramos while playing inside the box given his rather lanky and frail looking build. Although I'm still not sure if his future is playing as a CF.

Last edited:

redrobed

I know he had a bit of a rocky start but I was impressed by the 2nd half of his season. I’d rather see us go after him rather than Sancho given that Premier League experience and the fact that he’s a bit more versatile. If we express an interest and unsettle him/get him to push for the move maybe we could get him for a bit less than we’d have to pay for Sancho too.

francobaresi

I know he had a bit of a rocky start but I was impressed by the 2nd half of his season. I’d rather see us go after him rather than Sancho given that Premier League experience and the fact that he’s a bit more versatile. If we express an interest and unsettle him/get him to push for the move maybe we could get him for a bit less than we’d have to pay for Sancho too.
What makes you think Chelsea want to sell him? And why do you think he'd cost less than Sancho? And why do you think they'd sell him to United?

redrobed

What makes you think Chelsea want to sell him?
Right now, nothing. If we declare ourselves interested though we give them a decision to make - do they want to keep an unsettled (though very talented) player if it risks upsetting all that team morale they’ve built since Tuchel came in? Let’s test their nerve.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Ignoring the fact that Sancho and Havertz are completely (!) different players, why do you think he would want to leave a side like Chelsea with a german topcoach who just won the champions league - scoring the deciding goal in the final? I feel like it's completely delusional to even think about Man Utd buying Havertz and I doubt he'd cost less than Sancho.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
From everything he says he loves his move to Chelsea. Chelsea went out of their way to welcome him and keep him positive when it was rocky at the beginning. He is also the player that Roman wanted.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They do if they are generational talents
If you're talking Messi/Ronaldo then sure.

Zidane didn't even get a French cap until he was 22, neither did Iniesta for Spain. Nedved was playing in the Czech League until he was 24. Drogba was in the French second division until his mid 20s.

There's plenty of great players who really turned it up in their early 20s.

TheReligion

Abusive
If you're talking Messi/Ronaldo then sure.

Zidane didn't even get a French cap until he was 22, neither did Iniesta for Spain. Nedved was playing in the Czech League until he was 24. Drogba was in the French second division until his mid 20s.

There's plenty of great players who really turned it up in their early 20s.
Which is why when I see people having digs at the likes of Rashford baffling. What's he's done up until this point is pretty phenomenal when you consider his age. Same with Greenwood doing what he's doing in the PL and in Europe at 19.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Which is why when I see people having digs at the likes of Rashford baffling. What's he's done up until this point is pretty phenomenal when you consider his age. Same with Greenwood doing what he's doing in the PL and in Europe at 19.
Absolutely. Both have done incredibly well.

I mean, they've not scored the winner in the Champions League final like Havertz, but pretty good. :smirk:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think Greenwood could be something special. He is already better than most as a teenager with room to grow.

TheReligion

Abusive
Absolutely. Both have done incredibly well.

I mean, they've not scored the winner in the Champions League final like Havertz, but pretty good. :smirk:
This is why mentality is key. Havertz is going to have mixed form and games due to his age. That said he'll still get dug out by people especially due to the fee he commanded. No one will reflect on his age and experience. Be the same for Sancho.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Right now, nothing. If we declare ourselves interested though we give them a decision to make - do they want to keep an unsettled (though very talented) player if it risks upsetting all that team morale they’ve built since Tuchel came in? Let’s test their nerve.
Just remind me of the last Chelsea player who United unsettled by showing an interest?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Just remind me of the last Chelsea player who United unsettled by showing an interest?
Honestly I couldn’t give you an answer to that. You signed Matic from us but he was already being phased out at the time. Big clubs don’t tend to do this to other big clubs players in England. Last time it really happened was that Suarez £40,000,001 bid from Arsenal I think?

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: Yh buddy you actually have a better chance of tempting Messi out of Barca than tempting Chelsea with an offer for Havertz which isn't double what you're paying for Sancho now.

We have no reason to sell, he's 22, 5yrs contract, just won the CL, bought him for 70m, leading striker for German national team, selling to another big English team tax etc etc etc. Like I said try Messi.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: Yh buddy you actually have a better chance of tempting Messi out of Barca than tempting Chelsea with an offer for Havertz which isn't double what you're paying for Sancho now.

We have no reason to sell, he's 22, 5yrs contract, just won the CL, bought him for 70m, leading striker for German national team, selling to another big English team tax etc etc etc. Like I said try Messi.
I think poster by mistake thought havertz as arsenal player. The unsettling of chelsea player and testing chelsea resolve by showing interest where did that come from. I don't have a clue.

El Jefe

He has a lot of potential but he needs a strong coach to develop and motivate him to fulfilling his talent. I get the feeling he doesn't know how good he can be.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
He has a lot of potential but he needs a strong coach to develop and motivate him to fulfilling his talent. I get the feeling he doesn't know how good he can be.
He needs to fill out. He's got tall and got a big frame and is decent in the air when he actually attempts. It's another layer to his game that would add a lot.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
We sold Mata to United, one of our best players at that time

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
We sold Mata to United, one of our best players at that time
Not for Jose though. He sold because he was surplus at that time. In fact him and kdb on loan in same window I think. And mata never played as good after he left chelsea.

Andersons Dietician

I’ve been quite impressed with him this Euros. He’s not set it alight or anything but think he has been solidly impressive.