Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
This thread is pretty comical considering that in his second game in England he gets a hattrick. Just imagine the kind of platitudes we'd bestow on a player if he did that for us.
It was one of the easiest hattricks ever. The other team didn‘t care. Nice, but nothing more.

Pagh Wraith

Forgot what a miserable looking c*nt he is :lol: .
Lamps should play him as a 10, or at least an 8 soon. He is much more dangerous in the centre. Maybe 4-2-3-1 next game with Werner/Mount as wingers?
That's what I was thinking when they signed the two Germans. Werner is not a lone striker but it seems Lampard wants to play him there. He isn't strictly a left winger either, more like a hybrid who likes to drift into central positions. He'd be most useful with another striker to combine with, Giroud or even Abraham. Sticking him on the left would take up Pulišić's position but he seems to be injured quite a bit and could also play on the right. Leipzig got the best out of Werner in a sort of 4-2-2-2 formation (occasionally 3-5-2 I think) but I don't think that's best suited to the players Chelsea have.

Jorginho/Kante - Kovačić
Pulišić - Havertz - Werner
Giroud

I definitely would have played Giroud against Liverpool by the way. Don't think Werner did too badly but they were missing his physical presence up front. And he's probably one of the few strikers in the league van Dijk is worried about.

Renegade

That's what I was thinking when they signed the two Germans. Werner is not a lone striker but it seems Lampard wants to play him there. He isn't strictly a left winger either, more like a hybrid who likes to drift into central positions. He'd be most useful with another striker to combine with, Giroud or even Abraham. Sticking him on the left would take up Pulišić's position but he seems to be injured quite a bit and could also play on the right. Leipzig got the best out of Werner in a sort of 4-2-2-2 formation (occasionally 3-5-2 I think) but I don't think that's best suited to the players Chelsea have.

Jorginho/Kante - Kovačić
Pulišić - Havertz - Werner
Giroud

I definitely would have played Giroud against Liverpool by the way. Don't think Werner did too badly but they were missing his physical presence up front. And he's probably one of the few strikers in the league van Dijk is worried about.
They still have Ziyech to fit in. He looks a certain for the right.

Pagh Wraith

They still have Ziyech to fit in. He looks a certain for the right.
Not sure if he'll be a starter week in week out (but hard to say that about any of the forward players as there are so many) but yes, he'll be on the right in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 when he plays. Actually, if I had to bet, I'd guess a front three of Pulišić - Werner - Ziyech with Havertz dropping into midfield will be Lampard's preferred formation if everyone is fit.

Chelsea's transfer window has certainly been very impressive in terms of the names (and the sheer number of them) they have brought in but if I wanted to go against the grain just a little bit, I'd say they have left out the positions they need reinforcement in the most. Which, in order, would be: goalkeeper (above all else; but looks this might still be happening), centre-back for the future and a centre-forward (which Werner is not as I wrote above) to replace Giroud eventually. I do rate Abraham higher than most though so would not give up on him either. But I guess if you have the chance to sign these type of players, your hands are tied. Even more so when money doesn't seem to be an issue.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Two assists for Germany tonight.

Makelele

Bold prediction: Havertz will become the next historically elite midfield player of world football. Truly a unique and exceptional skill set. Almost no obvious chinks in his armour.

Untd55

I haven't actually seen anything special from him. From the start, Pulisic showed incredible dribbling technique, but I haven't seen anything so far to show Havertz is exceptionally talented.

I have to say I am disappointed based on all the hype.

Werner looks a very good player, though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s looking a lot fitter, sharper and more aggressive than the first few matches I’ll give him that.

still don’t see a generational talent though.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
I haven't actually seen anything special from him. From the start, Pulisic showed incredible dribbling technique, but I haven't seen anything so far to show Havertz is exceptionally talented.

Havertz is a very elegant but not very flashy player. At his best his strength is that he can do pretty much everything on the pitch (with the ball) at a great level, be it passing, dribbling, goal socring (good shooting and headers) etc.
That's why he was often compared to the young Ballack and(!) Özil, he has elements of both in his game. The thing with Havertz is just that he can also look extremely disinterested and sloppy if he isn't in form and what looks elegant on his good days becomes lazy.
Imo that's the area where he has to improve the most, get more consistency in his game, show more presence and aggressiveness. He has all the tools but these points will make the difference between a very good player and a genuine world class one.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Quite lightweight. Needs to bulk up. Clearly not in the same bracket as a De Bruyne or Ballack.

Member 90887

Not living up to the hype. Still adapting to the league i guess but i'm still not seeing his "genius". Werner though is a very good buy. He looks the better talent of the two right now.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
When they were Havertz's age, De Bruyne was playing in the Belgian league and Ballack the German 3rd division. Far too early to make those sort of judgements.
He is the most talented young German player currently alongside Kimmich and Sané. I have very little doubt he'll become one of your best players if he's played at that role behind the striker. He still has some quite obvious flaws to his game though. He is a very technical player and is very hard to dispose of the ball but he currently loses pretty much every single tackle being so physically weak, and has horrible body language and work rate mostly due to bad stamina late in the game.

KennyBurner

They are both very average players.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He was very good today when we were dominating. He become a little anonymous when the going got tough but I'm not expecting the finished article at 21 so I can forgive him for that.

Once Ziyech and Pulisic are up to speed fitness wise, we might control games better and keep teams penned in and hopefully put teams away properly when we're on top.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Needs to work on his physique, balance and first touch. After watching him closely with this few games those are the caveats that stand out for me. He gets outmuscled off the ball more often than not and his first touch in tight spaces often fail him. A bit of upper body strength will go a long way for him esp in the PL where you are up against bulked up gaint defenders every week. My worry is he doesn't look like the type who fancies the weights.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They are both very average players.
:lol:

He was very good today when we were dominating. He become a little anonymous when the going got tough but I'm not expecting the finished article at 21 so I can forgive him for that.

Once Ziyech and Pulisic are up to speed fitness wise, we might control games better and keep teams penned in and hopefully put teams away properly when we're on top.
I think he's more of a front foot player, but at the same time his defensive contributions have been somewhat overlooked. Among Chelsea players yesterday, Jorginho led the team in pressures with 21, Havertz had 20, and Pulisic had 19. For me he looks more like the player he did two seasons ago - when he still had Brandt, he was understandably more hard-working than when he was the primary creative hub of the team as he was last year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

I think he's more of a front foot player, but at the same time his defensive contributions have been somewhat overlooked. Among Chelsea players yesterday, Jorginho led the team in pressures with 21, Havertz had 20, and Pulisic had 19. For me he looks more like the player he did two seasons ago - when he still had Brandt, he was understandably more hard-working than when he was the primary creative hub of the team as he was last year.
I actually think he was pretty good without the ball the whole game. Obviously when someone like Ziyech comes on and presses like a machine, everyone looks less active but Havertz did his part tracking back, pressing, tackling even.

He was really good overall, but what I meant by anonymous when the going got tough was he become less of a factor in an attacking sense, and to be fair we could level the same charge at some of the others too, so I'm not singling him out. I just felt he was a little careless with the ball at a time when we needed him to hold on to it and be calm.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I actually think he was pretty good without the ball the whole game. Obviously when someone like Ziyech comes on and presses like a machine, everyone looks less active but Havertz did his part tracking back, pressing, tackling even.

He was really good overall, but what I meant by anonymous when the going got tough was he become less of a factor in an attacking sense, and to be fair we could level the same charge at some of the others too, so I'm not singling him out. I just felt he was a little careless with the ball at a time when we needed him to hold on to it and be calm.
Gotcha that makes sense and I think you're spot on! Sorry, I wasn't trying to have a go at you or anything - certainly he can improve but thus far I've been very impressed with Havertz overall.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Gotcha that makes sense and I think you're spot on! Sorry, I wasn't trying to have a go at you or anything - certainly he can improve but thus far I've been very impressed with Havertz overall.
Nah I didn't take like that at all, we're good.

They were right when they told us he kind of flows in and out of games, but his eye for goal is already immaculate and his technique really is amazing. It has been stated by us before but people tend to forget this is like his 6th game after no preseason in a new country and a new league and he's an inexperienced 21 year old. I have no doubt he will be the linchpin in our attack for years to come.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just don't get it with him. Gave him the benefit of doubt before, but every single time I've watched him even at Leverkusen, he just doesn't have much spark to his game. He's not fast, he's not strong, he isn't explosive, his passing is decent but nothing special and not that creative, he doesn't dribble really, isn't that hard of a worker, doesn't do much defensively... his finishing is pretty good and he can be an efficient player, but thats about it with him. I guess they hope he can develop into a Thomas Muller? But nowhere near the intensity of Muller. I just don't get the hype with him, and don't think he'll be a success in the prem.

Early days, new league, all valid. But €100m total package if all add ons are met really needs to give you a lot more than what Havertz is as a talent, which isn't a top level player IMO.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Early days, new league, all valid. But €100m total package if all add ons are met really needs to give you a lot more than what Havertz is as a talent, which isn't a top level player IMO.
If all addons are met, it'll be because he's part of a League and Champions League winning side.

I don't even care if he is shite if that happens!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I just don't get it with him. Gave him the benefit of doubt before, but every single time I've watched him even at Leverkusen, he just doesn't have much spark to his game. He's not fast, he's not strong, he isn't explosive, his passing is decent but nothing special and not that creative, he doesn't dribble really, isn't that hard of a worker, doesn't do much defensively... his finishing is pretty good and he can be an efficient player, but thats about it with him. I guess they hope he can develop into a Thomas Muller? But nowhere near the intensity of Muller. I just don't get the hype with him, and don't think he'll be a success in the prem.

Yeah same impression. I don't get it at all.

KennyBurner

Ive been saying for mulitple weeks now that both him and Werner are average. He is just a good footballer but nothing else. Doesnt spectacular in anything.

I feel his future role is a shadow striker because of his height and good finshing.

IAmAWinner

What kind of player is he, what should he offer? I swear he has been abysmal every time I have seen him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I think Müller is a good comparison, he needs to play as a #9.5 in a possession heavy team. His biggest qualities are probably his spacial awareness and technical proficiency in tight spaces. He can act as a conduit between the lines during build up and then arrive later in the box as a goal scoring threat. Chelsea under Lampard just don't appear to be that team, but if Bayern were in need of a Müller replacement he'd probably slot right in.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's becoming the kind of player who ends a season with 20ish goal contributions but when you watch him live he's average.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Even prime Hazard drifted in games when we played these type of tactics.

If he plays like this in games we actually play attacking football I'd be worried.

Bobski

Actually thought he had a decent 20 in the second half when he was starting to knit some moves together for Chelsea, then subbed. Going to be one of those players were there is a constant debate over his best role.