Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

Chief123

Who is the last German player to come to England and light up the league? I can't recall of any big names besides Mesut Ozil and look where he is now and how little he achieved at Arsenal. Leroy Sane? Promising talented young player at City but was never rated highly by Pep. Maybe Michael Ballack but even that is debatable. I don't understand why they seem to struggle in England when you consider there is hardly any climate or language barrier for them. Poldolski, Schweinsteiger have been underwhelming. Maybe that is a reason why SAF never sign German players as they for the most part are system players. SAF knows best.
Definitely Sane. He was amazing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm just glad it's not us for once.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Werner at least has scored a few - albeit missed sh!Tloads of easy ones.
But Havertz has barely done anything yet. Mad for such a high fee.

People who thought they'd challenge for the title were very sure such a lot of new players would gel so quickly.

Tony247

Havertz reminds me of fred's first season. Except havertz cost twice as much.

Schnappo

I thought he was okay when he came on today apart from when he turned into trouble and gave it away on the edge of Chelsea's box. A couple of nice touches and looked to get on the ball a bit.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He got the ball and kicked it towards a Chelsea teammate. Big improvement.

RashyForPM

There was one play just after he came on where he had two options: beat a man and set his team off on the counter or play a pass to one of the three attackers in front of him. What does he do? He chooses a 3rd option and turns left with the speed of Mertesacker and ball control of Lukaku, presenting the ball straight to McGinn. Bear in mind this was 25 yards from Mendy’s goal as well, so it put Chelsea in real trouble. Obviously not the first time he’s made genuine schoolboy errors too. There’s been plenty, beginning with the switch straight to the linesman on his debut at Brighton.

You know, there’s letting a talented player adapt to a new league, and there’s letting him absolutely stink up the joint and almost be a 12th man for the opponent. Havertz is at that point now, and despite the comparisons to Fred, he was never this bad at the start. At least Werner, despite his drought, has already scored 9 and is energetic and involved in games. Havertz looks genuinely hopeless.

Not writing him off of course, but I doubt he will be successful in England. Look how skinny he is as well. DM’s and defenders must love playing him.

Becks00

Probably too early to judge him especially during this kind of season, let see how he is this time next year.

On a side note, big ups to you @duffer, a certain poster could learn from you and not disappear to India whenever his team has a negative result.

Wish there where more posters like you from other teams on the forum, rather just Popping whenever their team is on a good run of form.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

This year's a shit year, it's not the type of season you'd expect foreign players to bed in well. Hopefully both Kai and Timo will push on in the next few months.
Of the two I would expect Havertz to have the quality to turn it around.

Let’s hope not though eh.

I think Chelsea are suffering from signing to many new players and trying to hit the ground running with them, a bit like Spurs when they sold Bale and bought a load of players.

Might take a new manager to come in and get the most from them and weed out the ones they want to keep. It’s on Lampard to play them now he’s bought them which is a pressure in itself, next manager won’t have that burden.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Probably to early to judge him especially during this kind of season, let see how he is this time next year.

On a side note, big ups to you @duffer, a certain poster could learn from you and not disappear to India whenever his team has a negative result.

Wish there where more posters like you from other teams on the forum, rather just Popping whenever their team is on a good run of form.
I was on here the night we lost in Moscow in 2008. Nobody can ever say I go missing (I'm sure to many posters dismay).

Mike Smalling

Strange that Havertz' thread has been bumped, while Werner's hasn't. Thought Havertz had a couple of nice touches and generally looked ok. Werner on the other hand missed a great chance to win the game.

TheReligion

Abusive
Has anyone mentioned the poor lad has covid a while back yet..?

On a serious note a few nice touches but another average display. Maybe he'll come good but for the fee he needs to start delivering more than average and fast.

KennyBurner

He isnt even better than Ruben Loftus Cheeks. So many of you were sure he was quality because he took penalties for his former club. He stinks!

sillwuka

Havertz reminds me of fred's first season. Except havertz cost twice as much.
I've learnt from this. I was Fred's biggest critic and he proved me wrong.

Havertz has looked well off the pace. Let him settle into the country and judge him next season. I know this is absolutely crazy to say knowing his price tag.

arthurka

Are people really having a go at Havertz for not coming guns blazing to a new league, high price tag and difficult circumstances all together. He is young and extremely talented he will become a very good player for Chelsea.

passing-wind

I think it's completely plausible for him to take time to adjust to the league. The profile of the transfer doesn't help but many of the younger players like Sancho / Havertz haven't proved their talent at the top top level. Mbappe is perhaps the only talent who has the necessary credit that whatever club he moves to next he will be expected to hit the ground running.

When everyone was going absolutely mental over Chelsea's transfer business I concluded that it would potentially take the team time to bed into the league, especially foreign internationals playing in a new environment. The mistake Chelsea have made is not buying enough talent within the league. This is a reason why Liverpool get the most out of their first team. Look how long it took the likes of Fabinho to show promise coming from France and even Keita who perhaps is still needing to adapt. You compare it to the likes of Jota, VVD, Robertson, Mane and you can contrast the difference in time for the domestic players to adapt. The likes of Salah / Bruno are one offs.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've got to say -

The one reason I wouldn't jump on Havertz flopping and turning it around is maybe on Lampard.

Does he know how to get the best out of his players?

Werner for example had such obvious weaknesses and strengths that were identified in Leipzig - he had to almost play next to a target man as far as I remember to become clinical.

Lampard has Werner playing as the Target man again and then pushed out wide and then Havertz somewhere else.

I'd just wait until a proper manager comes in at Chelsea who tries to build Havertz in to a system before to say the lad has struggled for too long in England.

Jaxa

His cameo tonight was uneventful, he really looks homesick almost and just a bit timid,

However the cream always rises and even though it must be frustrating for Chelsea fans seeing their star signing perform so poorly in his first season this guy will come good, he's 21 and has a very bright future ahead of him, but i feel this is one of those cases where he has all the talent, it's now up to him to bulk up and gain some muscle, similar to what Ronaldo done, if he can do that he will be a monster of a player.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
He was in bed with Covid for a while as well! It's a harsh, unforgiving place, internet forums.
Pretty easy to criticize someone from an armchair you just farted in. It's hard to get your ass moving out though, that's why most of the guys are hating in the internet.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pretty easy to criticize someone from an armchair you just farted in. It's hard to get your ass moving out though, that's why most of the guys are hating in the internet.
Sorry.. Didn't realise Havertz should be absolved from criticism because he's a German talent.

Chief123

Strange that Havertz' thread has been bumped, while Werner's hasn't. Thought Havertz had a couple of nice touches and generally looked ok. Werner on the other hand missed a great chance to win the game.
It’s because Werner missing great chances isn’t thread bump worthy because it’s nothing new. It’s part of his game. It was the same in Germany.

Chief123

Not quite sure where you’re coming from. But in summary, Havertz has been shit so far.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Generational talent they said

Be worth more than the transfer fee Chelsea paid they said

:angel: (Seriously though probably too soon to write him off)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Whats his best position? He was a support striker and has played on the right in Germany. Is he playing as no 10 now ?