Kai Havertz

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Are Chelsea fans furious this isn’t done yet? Or is it just our fan base that collectively goes mental when big money signings aren’t done instantly?
I mean there are loads of teenagers on twitter with handles like @manlikejorginho who are panicking and berating the club for bottling it, so there's that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Let's quickly remember the point I was arguing: That Pogba and Bruno would not 'walk' into a team with Havertz in. I wasn't even saying he is better than them. I had similar discussions on non-United players that went calm and reflected, it only ever derails when a United player is involved. I don't want to say that certain people attack you if you dare criticizing a United player because that's not true, 'criticize' is already way too harsh for what's enough to get attacked in sometimes.

I've watched ~70-80% percent of Havertz' games. He's played preferably as an 8 throughout his whole career. His more offensive role this season primarily comes from a shortage of players with end product and a simultaneous abundance of midfielders. Not saying that you're wrong with your apples/oranges argument - I understand when you see it that way - but Havertz usually plays way deeper than people in here think.
Not as deep as Pogba I think was the point. He is definitely more comparable to Bruno

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Are Chelsea fans furious this isn’t done yet? Or is it just our fan base that collectively goes mental when big money signings aren’t done instantly?
Its understandable that its stalled a bit. Leverkusen are still in a competition that can land them a CL place and probably influence negotiations(getting a higher fee). They need their best player for that and don't have to accept a bid for him until they are out or win the thing as Havertz doesn't have a buy-out clause and won't throw tantrums at his boyhood club to force a move.
Plus No goals, No assists against Rangers? Shite!!

KennyBurner

Everything that's not painfully tinted in favour of United or it's players equals 'moving goal posts' for you. Especially if the one you're arguing with is not a United fan. Has to be incredibly boring but to each their own I guess.

Fair enough. The systems they excelled in are very different, too. Guess next season we'll know more.
How clueless do you have to be not to realize that post on a United forum will in fact be biased toward United.

RooneyLegend

Ziyech will operate more as a wide player?
He drifts centrally a lot. One of them will suffer next season. I can't see them playing together and both playing well. It's like Sociedad with Odegaard and Januzaj. Left footed players tend not to be as versatile as right footed players because their weaker feet tend to be really weak in general play.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He drifts centrally a lot. One of them will suffer next season. I can't see them playing together and both playing well. It's like Sociedad with Odegaard and Januzaj. Left footed players tend not to be as versatile as right footed players because their weaker feet tend to be really weak in general play.
I think Havertz will be playing 8 in replacement of Barkley. Lets see how it pans out

He has been playing further forward this season but hes an 8

RooneyLegend

I think Havertz will be playing 8 in replacement of Barkley. Lets see how it pans out

He has been playing further forward this season but hes an 8
I presume from the right of a midield 3? That's an area of the pitch Ziyech finds himself in alot of the time.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There is no real updates in this video, he's just rehashing what he's already said on twitter, but here's the man, the myth, the legend himself talking about Havertz to Chelsea

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I presume from the right of a midield 3? That's an area of the pitch Ziyech finds himself in alot of the time.
It could indeed be difficult to fit both in but I think it's doable. Werner is a player that makes countless runs behind the lines, leaving space in the middle for Havertz to attack. I think the attack could be quite balanced with Pulisic/Werner on the one and Ziyech/Havertz on the other hand. But it remains to be seen. Pulisic aside (who I think is definitely best as a LW), all three players can occupy multiple positions in the offense.

romufc

I like a United, if you get Sancho and Greenwood develops as expected you'll be one of my favourite teams in the world in the future. And also this is the best football forum in the world. I just don't like people who are not able to think and argue at least somewhat objectively when it comes to their club. But every club has these guys, especially large ones.
There will always be bias towards their own club. Especially if you take aim at one of the key players at United.

E-mal

@Zehner While controversial, I understand some of your argument. I spent the whole day trying to tell a member that Martial is better than Kane while deep down I know that currently most teams will prefer Kane as he is more a sure thing as compared to Tony.

I would love us to sign Havertz as am not really the biggest fan of Bruno because of his wastefulness in possession and because I won't want us to miss on a talent like Kai.

The truth though is that we can't just fill our ranks with talented youngstars as we need a bit of experience.

I hope you get what you expect from the deal and continue to express yourself on this forum.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think that the extent to which you've been branded as unreasonable is unfair and apologies if I contributed to that. That said, given the potential challenges in transitioning to a new league versus the fact that Pogba and Bruno are settled means that I'd take either over Havertz in a one-off in the PL. If the question is who is likely to provide the most value over the next 5 years, then I'd take Havertz by a nose over Bruno. If it's next 10, then Havertz wins by a mile.

I agree with this - Havertz has been at his best when he has license to roam - dropping deep, pushing in behind when there's an opportunity, popping up on the opposite flank, etc. I actually prefer him as an 8 in Chelsea's prospective system next year, especially if he can push up into a quasi-9 position in possession with Pulisic pushing the left flank and Werner and Ziyech moving deeper & occupying central areas, while being stationed deeper in midfield in defense. There is definitely a misguided notion on here that he's a right winger - absolutely not the case.

I do think there may be valid questions about how Ziyech and Havertz interact as some of their preferred zones overlap, but at the same time both are highly intelligent and adaptable players that fit within a variety of roles. The extent to which they form a relationship and understanding may be key to Chelsea's attack next year.
No apologies needed, your posts have been completely reasonable even if I disagree with some points. I fully understand why you'd take Bruno and Pogba over Havertz given that you should never underestimate the transitioning process. As I said, the formulation I took issue with was that those two players would walk into a combined eleven but you've already made clear that you were speaking about current not potential squads so in general, we're not far apart.

His synergy with Ziyech will most likely be the biggest question mark, I agree. I think he'll work brillantly with Werner and Pulisic but Ziyech indeed likes to play in the same areas. Then again, Havertz connected perfectly with Brandt who in general has similar characteristics to Ziyech (but right footed) so their ability to link up in tight spaces could be great. Especially since Havertz also likes to make deep runs into the box a lot. Will be interesting to observe if the deal happens.

How clueless do you have to be not to realize that post on a United forum will in fact be biased toward United.
Obviously they're biased and I'm not criticizing it. Would be mental since everybody has them. But biases are subconscious and when someone points yours out, I don't understand how you can stick with that. This "yes, I am biased but I'm on a United forum so I'm supposed to be like that, leave me alone" is what I can't (under)stand. Thing is, some posters in here are so toxic that those debates immediately derail and the participants refuse to admit that maybe their perceptions have indeed been a bit biased.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
@Zehner While controversial, I understand some of your argument. I spent the whole day trying to tell a member that Martial is better than Kane while deep down I know that currently most teams will prefer Kane as he is more a sure thing as compared to Tony.

I would love us to sign Havertz as am not really the biggest fan of Bruno because of his wastefulness in possession and because I won't want us to miss on a talent like Kai.

The truth though is that we can't just fill our ranks with talented youngstars as we need a bit of experience.

I hope you get what you expect from the deal and continue to express yourself on this forum.

In your position, I wouldn't have gone for Havertz either. Sancho makes much more sense for you guys, both from a squad managing as well as a marketing perspective.

I understand what you mean regarding Martial, by the way. If you've watched much of a player and see his potential, it's hard to convince those who haven't to the same extent - especially if the player has just recently made a leap in development and his public perception isn't quite up to date with his increase in performances. Quite often the media and public take their time to take note of such an improvement. I haven't seen Martial live much this season so I can only judge by my previous impressions, highlight compilations and his stats but on that basis, I can imagine that this is exactly such a situation. Martial has definitely a higher ceiling than Kane and if he begins to utilize that, I can see him surpassing him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No apologies needed, your posts have been completely reasonable even if I disagree with some points. I fully understand why you'd take Bruno and Pogba over Havertz given that you should never underestimate the transitioning process. As I said, the formulation I took issue with was that those two players would walk into a combined eleven but you've already made clear that you were speaking about current not potential squads so in general, we're not far apart.

His synergy with Ziyech will most likely be the biggest question mark, I agree. I think he'll work brillantly with Werner and Pulisic but Ziyech indeed likes to play in the same areas. Then again, Havertz connected perfectly with Brandt who in general has similar characteristics to Ziyech (but right footed) so their ability to link up in tight spaces could be great. Especially since Havertz also likes to make deep runs into the box a lot. Will be interesting to observe if the deal happens.

Obviously they're biased and I'm not criticizing it. Would be mental since everybody has them. But biases are subconscious and when someone points yours out, I don't understand how you can stick with that. This "yes, I am biased but I'm on a United forum so I'm supposed to be like that, leave me alone" is what I can't (under)stand. Thing is, some posters in here are so toxic that those debates immediately derail and the participants refuse to admit that maybe their perceptions have indeed been a bit biased.
Very good point regarding Brandt - that definitely bodes well for a potential relationship with Ziyech.

DevilRed

Don't see anybody melting down over this one taking so long? :lol:

Its because nobody gives a toss about chelski.

Just imagine if we had paid 76m for a goalkeeper and he was the absolute worst one in the entire league. We'd never hear the end of it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Was hoping it was an update.....got a yawn instead. Oh well....
Leverkusen are playing a one-off knockout game against Inter on Monday. They'll likely lose that one, so we may get some movement on this next week.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Leverkusen are playing a one-off knockout game against Inter on Monday. They'll likely lose that one, so we may get some movement on this next week.
Yeah I know its held up because of their participation in the Europa. Hopefully they don't win it as CL gives them a stronger hand in negotitions.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Anybody would and it has nothing to do with the transition.

The german is a lesser player who has done nothing and with everything to prove.

You need a good rollicking for even comparing Paul in particular to Havertz, must be a wum.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

The german is a lesser player who has done nothing and with everything to prove.

You need a good rollicking for even comparing Paul in particular to Havertz, must be a wum.
The power of the filter bubble.

DevilRed

These haven't even signed this young lad and already he is better than Bruno and Pogba? :lol:

kai isn't even better than Jadon. fecking helmets.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
These haven't even signed this young lad and already he is better than Bruno and Pogba? :lol:

I mean, Zehner has been accused of a lot of things in this thread, but being a Chelsea fan is a new one.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Somehow I doubt Frank will be using a 2 striker formation.
Frank used 4-4-2 two or three times in pre-season last year. He is definitely not the type of manager to restrict himself. We just didn’t have the personnel to play 2 up front well.

For anyone expecting a large transfer to be simple then they have been playing too many video games. Image rights, Agent fees, breakdown of payments, terms and conditions, legalities.. sometimes even help finding a place to live. There’s so much more to it than the fee itself.

I’ll be happy if he comes, I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t but we do need more penetration from the center of the field. For so many years if our wingers were cut off we wouldn’t score. Before that we had Lampard, Gudjonsen, Ballack, Deco, Essien, Malouda.. all capable of scoring or breaking a teams lines down and now all we have is Mount, Barkley and a half fit Loftus cheek. They’re not the same caliber.

TheLord

The Havertz transfer rumours, much like Sancho’s, have gone quiet. I assume Chelsea fans are hoping that Inter knock out Bayer Leverkusen from the EL in three days time so that Marina et al get going with this transfer asap. The further Bayer Leverkusen progress in the EL, the longer this deal stalls. Further, Bayer Leverkusen may start demanding more.

If Chelsea complete the Havertz transfer before United complete Sancho’s, this place will be impossible to visit for a few days.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
These renties haven't even signed this young lad and already he is better than Bruno and Pogba? :lol:

I wonder who we've upset the most so far this week, this guy or DT :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Did people worry about the time it took to conclude a transfer 10-15 years ago? It certainly doesn't take longer to conclude a transfer than it did back then. People get so worked up because we now have access to daily updates, and every tiny, minute bit of progress is being reported as breaking news. So it only feels like it's dragging on because we have been discussing those little updates day in day out for so many weeks.

Web of Bissaka

5 CF: Werner, Giro, Bat, Abra, (Havertz)
7 WG: Ziyech, Perisic, CHO, Werner, Bark, Mount, (Havertz)
3 CAM: Barkley, Mount, (Havertz)

Damn, how the heck is Lampard going to make them all happy with enough games. No way. Won't happen. Add Havertz and... Werner, Barkley and Mount can also play WG, and Havertz can play anywhere. So that's 7 players for 3 positions (if Lampard play CAM or attacking CM) and 3-5 players for CF.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Damn, how the heck is Lampard going to make them all happy with enough games. No way. Won't happen. Add Havertz and... Werner, Barkley and Mount can also play WG, and Havertz can play anywhere. So that's 7 players for 3 positions (if Lampard play CAM or attacking CM) and 3-5 players for CF.
Barkley are Michy are on the chopping block.

Pulisic, Werner Ziyech
Mount (or Kovacic) Havertz
Kante

CHO is essentially the first choice sub for the wide forward positions. Abraham and Giroud can tussle for the 2nd choice CF position. Kovacic and Mount can tussle for the other MID position. There will be loads of games to go around, and who plays where really just depends on the system Lampard decides to go with for each game. In a 433, it'll likely be be the above team. In a 352 Pulisic or Ziyech can drop to the bench for Giroud or Abraham.

Lyricist

Perisic?
I think you're looking for a Croatian-American instead. :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
DT seems pretty happy after mugging your soppy cnut of a team last weekend.

:lol:
No he's not despite that he's fuming and has spent more time talking about us than enjoying his team's triumph :lol:

I thought that was as funny as it was going to get but then we have you having an angry meltdown about our club due to a comment by a Levekusen fan talking about a player who's currently not even ours and then went and tried to force a comparison to a player in a different position :lol:

I mean we must be doing something right to incite such unprovoked anger but still......

DevilRed

No he's not despite that he's fuming and has spent more time talking about us than enjoying his team's triumph :lol:

I thought that was as funny as it was going to get but then we have you having an angry meltdown about our club due to a comment by a Levekusen fan talking about a player who's currently not even ours and then went and tried to force a comparison to a player in a different position :lol:

I mean we must be doing something right to incite such unprovoked anger but still......
Kin ell. After all these years, its still true isn't it?

Gooners still living rent(ie) free in your heads. :lol:

You think for 90m havertz can play a bit in goals as well?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Kin ell. After all these years, its still true isn't it?

Gooners still living rent(ie) free in your heads. :lol:

You think for 90m havertz can play a bit in goals as well?
We've rattled you so much you're resorting to bigging up one of your rivals :lol:

What next a passionate defense of Leeds United? :houllier:

Status
Not open for further replies.