Kalidou Koulibaly | Chelsea

TheReligion

Abusive
Good player but not really one to cause great concern.
Wrong side of 30 and another stop gap signing like Silva. Will also be interesting to see how he adapts to the PL given his age and the fact his background is predominantly in Italy. Also a bit suspect in the air.

Best years certainly behind him but if he adapts can help Chelsea steady things following the loss of Rudiger.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If Chelsea fans don't double the amount of songs they sing to a whopping 2 after having Kalidou to the tune of "Agadoo" fall right into their laps then there is no hope for them.

r1z3mu

I remember when we were interested a few years ago Napoli asked around 100 million.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Good player but not really one to cause great concern.
Wrong side of 30 and another stop gap signing like Silva. Will also be interesting to see how he adapts to the PL given his age and the fact his background is predominantly in Italy. Also a bit suspect in the air.

Best years certainly behind him but if he adapts can help Chelsea steady things following the loss of Rudiger.
This post makes him sounds like he’s 35 and coming off of a season in which he declined significantly.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Pleased with this. We needed a character to replace Rudi and this chap seems to be absolutely loved by Napoli and their fans.

Him being mates with Jorgi and especially Mendy is also a big plus.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Perfect signing for Chelsea when we consider the situation they are in with their defenders.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
This post makes him sounds like he’s 35 and coming off of a season in which he declined significantly.
And yet he's younger than Van Dijk and he's coming off a good season.

TheReligion

Abusive
He’s 31 and never played in the PL which we all know is a tough ask. He’s not a Thiago Silva level player who did adapt after a struggle of a start.

He’s also not played 30 or more league games in the past 3 seasons. Prior to that he was a 35 game a season man.

As I say I don’t think he’s a bad player at all but he’s not at the peak of his powers nor do I expect him to improve.

He’ll do a good job though and manages a tricky transitional period for you.

Interested to see how he does. He's a bit like Bailly in how he can look world class one minute and a play-with-your-idols competition winner the next, and he is definitely not the player he once was. At 31 I'm not exactly gutted we missed out on him after all the years of rumours.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
He’s 31 and never played in the PL which we all know is a tough ask. He’s not a Thiago Silva level player who did adapt after a struggle of a start.

He’s also not played 30 or more league games in the past 3 seasons. Prior to that he was a 35 game a season man.

As I say I don’t think he’s a bad player at all but he’s not at the peak of his powers nor do I expect him to improve.

He’ll do a good job though and manages a tricky transitional period for you.
I guess I can’t completely disagree. Questions and concerns about whether he can adapt to the league when it comes to the pace and intensity are 100% legitimate but I just don’t think he’ll have any issues physically with the transition. Especially if we still use 3 at the back.

And if reports of Tuchel wanting an additional 2 CB in addition to KK are true, that’ll hopefully mean he is managed properly and rotated in less important matches.

TheReligion

Abusive
I guess I can’t completely disagree. Questions and concerns about whether he can adapt to the league when it comes to the pace and intensity are 100% legitimate but I just don’t think he’ll have any issues physically with the transition. Especially if we still use 3 at the back.

And if reports of Tuchel wanting an additional 2 CB in addition to KK are true, that’ll hopefully mean he is managed properly and rotated in less important matches.
I’m interested to see what your plan is especially given you have Colwill who is very highly rated.

This isn’t a bad deal if the idea is to not block pathways but it will depend who else you target. Not convinced on Kimpembe and the Ake deal seems to have fallen through. Who else is linked?

TheReligion

Abusive
It is oddly nice on a hot day like this to have @TheReligion 's usual bucket of cold water poured on anything positive.

Cheers dude!
Don’t mean to be. I just don’t think he’s a dead cert to be as successful as being made out nor do I think it’s the kind of signing that upgrades you from the previous season.

I think for the money though, and your need for CBs in that system, he will be a good enough signing.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Koulibaly can play all three positions in our defense without any problem. That makes him very valuable addition. He is right footed footballer but he played mostly left sided center back in Napoli. Because he is comfortable in both feets as well.

Has good pace and two footed so easily play as central defender position in our system as well.

Very good passer with both feets. Can act as a launching pad for attacks as well.

Very good at breaking lines and carry the ball forward. All he did with back four system without much difficulties. In our system he simply can enhance all of his ball playing abilities as well.

With his signing chelsea get experience, very adaptive ball playing center back who can play all positions across central defense in our back three system,comfortable at back 4 system as well if we want to change. No brainer for me to get his service for the reported fee of 40 mn euros.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Last season he'd very likely have played 30 league games if it wasn't for AFCON that made him miss a bunch of games. I wouldn't exactly hold it against him for being unavailable because of an international tournament. Other than international duty he missed two games due to COVID and six games because of a single muscle injury which doesn't sound too dramatic. It's not like he's been constantly out injured or suffered from some niggling problems.

And even if he can't play more than 25-30 league matches, why should that be some huge issue? As long as he plays to a high level in the games he is available for, that's more than enough IMO.

TheReligion

Abusive
Last season he'd very likely have played 30 league games if it wasn't for AFCON that made him miss a bunch of games. I wouldn't exactly hold it against him for being unavailable because of an international tournament. Other than international duty he missed two games due to COVID and six games because of a single muscle injury which doesn't sound too dramatic. It's not like he's been constantly out injured or suffered from some niggling problems.

And even if he can't play more than 25-30 league matches, why should that be some huge issue? As long as he plays to a high level in the games he is available for, that's more than enough IMO.
I’m just pointing out the past three seasons he’s averaged about 25 league appearances. Before that he was hitting 35 plus additional competitions.

There’s obviously been some sort of drop off for whatever reason or another.

Connoisseur

Supports
Juventus
Great signing for Chelsea. He's been easily among the best CBs in the world for quite a few years now and on top of that he's a great character and a leader. Hasn't really played in a back three though, which might take some time getting used to. Massively underrated by the non Serie A following public.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I’m just pointing out the past three seasons he’s averaged about 25 league appearances. Before that he was hitting 35 plus additional competitions.

There’s obviously been some sort of drop off for whatever reason or another.
Yeah you are right, but context is also important. Fact is Koulibaly hasn't suffered any such injuries that should negatively affect his physical attributes, nor has he really had any injuries that are often associated with high risk of repetition.

At this point there's every chance it's nothing more than a coincidence that he just happened to have a few injuries in the last few seasons and not that many in the season before then. Or you could be right and his body is starting to show signs of breaking down. Guess we'll know more when he actually starts playing.

BerryBerryShrew

One of those players who has achieved almost mythical status. Whenever top centre backs are mentioned, his name always gets thrown into the mix by people who have never seen him play (I haven't either) so it will be fun to see if he is all he's cracked up to be.

Now if only some PL side could finally sign that Lazio midfielder so we could definitively establish if the world's best players are in fact playing for mediocre Serie A teams (like a throwback to the 80's) that would be fantastic!

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah you are right, but context is also important. Fact is Koulibaly hasn't suffered any such injuries that should negatively affect his physical attributes, nor has he really had any injuries that are often associated with high risk of repetition.

At this point there's every chance it's nothing more than a coincidence that he just happened to have a few injuries in the last few seasons and not that many in the season before then. Or you could be right and his body is starting to show signs of breaking down. Guess we'll know more when he actually starts playing.
Yeah I’m intrigued to see how it plays out.

Obviously the PL is far more physical than Serie A so will be a good test for him.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
One of those players who has achieved almost mythical status. Whenever top centre backs are mentioned, his name always gets thrown into the mix by people who have never seen him play (I haven't either) so it will be fun to see if he is all he's cracked up to be.

Now if only some PL side could finally sign that Lazio midfielder so we could definitively establish if the world's best players are in fact playing for mediocre Serie A teams (like a throwback to the 80's) that would be fantastic!
Ironically, we’ve been linked quite heavily with Milinković-Savić over the past few seasons as well. :lol:

Wouldn‘t be surprised if we signed him within the next year.

NewYorkRed

Terrific signing for Chelsea. He’s still one of the best CBs in the world. Lets see how he adapts to the pace of the prem.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I’m interested to see what your plan is especially given you have Colwill who is very highly rated.

This isn’t a bad deal if the idea is to not block pathways but it will depend who else you target. Not convinced on Kimpembe and the Ake deal seems to have fallen through. Who else is linked?
Who isnt more like...

Kounde deal being looked at again apparently. Aside from that Gvardiol. Pau Torres. de Ligt of course.... Quite a few

Suedesi

Amazed at the speed this was concluded, felt ADL would never let him go. We spent 2 summers chasing him only to end up with Harry Maguire instead :houllier:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Amazed at the speed this was concluded, felt ADL would never let him go. We spent 2 summers chasing him only to end up with Harry Maguire instead :houllier:
Think his hand was forced due to Koulibaly only having a year left on his contract

wr8_utd

:'(
A player who had some below par seasons but was quality last year every time I watched him play. It feels like a lot of people don't watch a lot of football outside the Premier League and give the league some sort of mythical status which just isn't true. I think he'll slot in just fine and be a good solid signing for Chelsea.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Don't think he'll be a star but equally don't think he'll be poor. Good signing with the holes they had, but not someone who will drive them to a PL and CL.

Overall strikes me as a 7/10 signing.