Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Seeing as they'd need a replacement, wonder if Bailly could sweeten the deal.
I'd like to see him as his partner personally and Lindelof n Smalling as 3rd n 4th choice.

Bailly is a very good defender. A little rash at times but that's easily rectified. An all African CB duo would be fun.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Is he calm, or prone to rashness of any kind?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I'd like to see him as his partner personally and Lindelof n Smalling as 3rd n 4th choice.

Bailly is a very good defender. A little rash at times but that's easily rectified. An all African CB duo would be fun.
A recipe for potential disaster.

Infra-red

He's 1.95
That's been covered on here numerous times. Stems from a FIFA error. Transfermarkt lists his (correct) height at 1.87m, which is easily verifiable when you see him standing next to the obviously taller Raul Albiol (1.90m) or the slightly shorter Faouzi Ghoulam (1.86m) in team photos eg:

He is very clearly not 5cm taller than Albiol.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
A recipe for potential disaster.
Why you say that? Before this season most fans on here would have said Bailly was our best CB and Koulibally is supposed to be one of the top Cb's in the world.

We've kept 3 clean sheets in 21 games. How much worse can it get?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
£90m for a 27 year old centre back is poor value.

And I never knew there were so many Serie A watchers who watch Napoli every week on here:rolleyes:
I do watch every week and presently imho there's nobody better than Koulibaly.

onemanarmy

Why you say that? Before this season most fans on here would have said Bailly was our best CB and Koulibally is supposed to be one of the top Cb's in the world.

We've kept 3 clean sheets in 21 games. How much worse can it get?
Those fans would have been idiots. And he's not a little rash, he's a fecking idiot.

Lindelof + Smalling/New strong defender

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which CBs were being sold for 100 million euros when we signed those players?
:rolleyes: Do I really need to break this down? Did you read the post I quoted?

I still can’t help but feel 100 million £/€ is mental for a centre back, even in this market.

It’s not my money I know, but surely we have a scouting department that can spot equally talented players for a fraction of the cost, allowing us to make more changes?
Our scouting department found us Smalling who we signed for around 10m-12m a lot less than David Luiz who signed for Chelsea for around 25m. Fraction of the cost....

Phil Jones for 18m in 2011 I actually think this was expensive for the time however still less than the top cbs at the time

Rojo.... erm the deal was about 20m euros in 2014 same year David Luiz again moves for 50m euros and Mangala 40m again Fraction of the cost and scouting....

Bailly 30m euros in 2016 the same year Stones went to City for £50m.... Fraction of the cost and scouting....

Lindelof we signed in the summer for 35? when the fee for VVD was 70m I think this one speaks for itself?

I don't believe scouting is wrong I think it makes sense, but the point was that not going after the top player at the time and instead looking towards scouting to find talents at less cost to the top players were going for at the time is what landed us with the CBs we have now.

I think its time we went after a top established player at CB since its a problem position for us and if we have to pay a top player price then so be it.

johanovic

Koulibally and De Ligt and keep Smalling,Lindelof and Tuanzebe. Get rid of Rojo,Jones,Darmian,Bailly.
That would put us in a very strong position regarding centre backs. Wan Bissaka at right back with Dalot/Laird would sort us out there and the defence would be very strong as Shaw has proved this season how good he can be. Perhaps we need a young left back also.

Alabaster Codify7

As much as I want this to happen, I just can't see it going ahead. It'll be my pipe-dream until we sign someone inferior.

reddaz71

Ideally we could do with a CB partnership of Koulibaly and Alderweireld, Lindelof and Bailly 2nd choice.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

Our scouting department found us Smalling who we signed for around 10m-12m a lot less than David Luiz who signed for Chelsea for around 25m. Fraction of the cost....

Phil Jones for 18m in 2011 I actually think this was expensive for the time however still less than the top cbs at the time

Rojo.... erm the deal was about 20m euros in 2014 same year David Luiz again moves for 50m euros and Mangala 40m again Fraction of the cost and scouting....

Bailly 30m euros in 2016 the same year Stones went to City for £50m.... Fraction of the cost and scouting....

Lindelof we signed in the summer for 35? when the fee for VVD was 70m I think this one speaks for itself?

I don't believe scouting is wrong I think it makes sense, but the point was that not going after the top player at the time and instead looking towards scouting to find talents at less cost to the top players were going for at the time is what landed us with the CBs we have now.

I think its time we went after a top established player at CB since its a problem position for us and if we have to pay a top player price then so be it.
Personally, I’m glad we got Smalling instead of someone like Luiz. Much better defender than he gets credit for on here and we got a lot of years of service out of him.

J_XO

Ideally we could do with a CB partnership of Koulibaly and Alderweireld, Lindelof and Bailly 2nd choice.
The most logical choice, meaning it won't happen. Would be brilliant to suddenly have a great depth of talented CB's

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Those fans would have been idiots. And he's not a little rash, he's a fecking idiot.

Under Lindelof we've had 3 clean sheets in 21.

Bailly actually been part of a solid United defence.

Jam

For all the shit we give Smalling, and the mistakes he's made, he was a bit of a bargain - we've had years of service with him and he has been a great player at times.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd be aston

The less Bailly played the more overrated he became on here. To call him a very good defender seems a little bit over the top. I think people want him to be better than he actually is. He’s got a long long way to go.
And the way people go on about Lindelof is far worse. He's improved a bit and all of sudden fools on here think he's Vidic or Rio. We've had 3 clean sheets all season. He's a major reason why.

Ekeke

Smalling was just a young player, one who hadnt played much for Fulham. The fee we paid was quite a lot for someone in that situation. English tax. He got a bit more experience by staying there on loan

Rojo cost us our best winger, Nani leaving the club + £14 million wasnt it? £14 million alone was expensive for what he gave us.

Bailly didnt have English tax. If Stones wasnt English he wouldnt have cost that.

Lindelof was still an expensive CB. He wasnt the most expensive CB in the world. Theres a difference.

The CBs we signed were expensive for what they were, none of which were thought to be the best or one of the best CBs in the world. We signed Bailly and Lindelof as players we hoped would be able to improve and be some of the better CBs in the league and players of that nature were bought for similar fees to them. Who spent more? City? Not really, Laporte had more experience and was higher rated than Bailly when we signed him.

Cassidy

Smalling was just a young player, one who hadnt played much for Fulham. The fee we paid was quite a lot for someone in that situation. English tax. He got a bit more experience by staying there on loan

Rojo cost us our best winger, Nani leaving the club + £14 million wasnt it? £14 million alone was expensive for what he gave us.

Bailly didnt have English tax. If Stones wasnt English he wouldnt have cost that.

Lindelof was still an expensive CB. He wasnt the most expensive CB in the world. Theres a difference.

The CBs we signed were expensive for what they were, none of which were thought to be the best or one of the best CBs in the world. We signed Bailly and Lindelof as players we hoped would be able to improve and be some of the better CBs in the league and players of that nature were bought for similar fees to them. Who spent more? City? Not really, Laporte had more experience and was higher rated than Bailly when we signed him.
I really dont think you’re getting the point. Yes the fee for Smalling was high for a young player and the ones we signed were expesive for what they were. But I responded to a post saying we shouldnt sign a top rated 100m CB we should instead scout and find alternatives who were cheaper. Which is what we have done with all of those signings.

Not that it was bad but just a fact.

onemanarmy

Under Lindelof we've had 3 clean sheets in 21.

Bailly actually been part of a solid United defence.
De Gea has about 3 clean sheets this season, he must be shite. Lindelof has improved, Bailly has stagnated. He's injured quite a lot and makes rash tackles. I'd prefer Jones over him at the moment.

Ideally we get rid of Bailly, Jones and Rojo, get Koulibaly and De Ligt/Militao, while giving Tuanzebe a chance. Koulibaly, De Ligt, Tuanzebe, Smalling and Lindelof would be great. Never gonna happen.

Ekeke

I really dont think you’re getting the point. Yes the fee for Smalling was high for a young player and the ones we signed were expesive for what they were. But I responded to a post saying we shouldnt sign a top rated 100m CB we should instead scout and find alternatives who were cheaper. Which is what we have done with all of those signings.

Not that it was bad but just a fact.
You said thats what got us in our current situation. Overspending for the quality we got is what got us in this situation. If the CBs we signed were all the quality that the money suggested at the times we signed them we would have a good defense right now. Maybe not a perfect one. But a good one.

Lindelof + Bailly would = VVD

Thats not the case right now. Because we spent enough money but didnt get our money's worth.

ravi2

An all African CB duo would be fun around Africans Cup of Nations time

ravi2

For all the shit we give Smalling, and the mistakes he's made, he was a bit of a bargain - we've had years of service with him and he has been a great player at times.
I feel that if Smalling had an experienced CB to play with he would look so much better. I feel the same way about Bailly as well

Canagel

Bailly will benefit from a calm experienced defender. He will stay.

Jericholyte2

An Italian friend of mine who watches more Serie A than Premier League week in week out had a chat with me today about this guy.

Basically said doubts it would happen in Jan but come the summer we should spend whatever it takes to get him. Says no matter he fee, it would be a sound investment.

The gist is that at this point City and Liverpool and others are spending 50, 60, 70M on defenders, we can keep doing what we’ve been doing recently, looking at 30m defenders who we say, “at least they’re better than what we have” or we go all in for a game changing top shelf CB.

Cassidy

You said thats what got us in our current situation. Overspending for the quality we got is what got us in this situation. If the CBs we signed were all the quality that the money suggested at the times we signed them we would have a good defense right now. Maybe not a perfect one. But a good one.

Lindelof + Bailly would = VVD

Thats not the case right now. Because we spent enough money but didnt get our money's worth.
No I said that what got us the cbs we have now. You don’t need to miss quote me. You also don’t need to tell me what I meant by it either

We have the cbs we have now by scouting and looking for other options rather than going for the top CBs of the time and paying the top prices by doing so

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was of the opinion that we shouldn't spend such a huge amount for a CB. But I've changed my mind and think Koulibaly would be worth it. An absolutely top top CB that would galvanize our back line IMO.

GM K

Bailey and Kalidou? Disaster!

khakstar18

Would love to see Koulibaly but I have read several reports on Manolas of Roma. Don’t know much about him to be honest. Think he is a good alternative if Koulibaly doesn’t happen?

Rauður Djöfull

Koulibally and De Ligt and keep Smalling,Lindelof and Tuanzebe. Get rid of Rojo,Jones,Darmian,Bailly.
That would put us in a very strong position regarding centre backs. Wan Bissaka at right back with Dalot/Laird would sort us out there and the defence would be very strong as Shaw has proved this season how good he can be. Perhaps we need a young left back also.
that's like my FM setup :P, only I'd add Tierny as well. Would love for this to happen but it won't, would be great to add two cb's and two fullbacks but with RM and Midfield probably needing new players as well, it's doubtful we go for so many

There are three cb's I am most excited about, Koulibaly, De Ligt and Pavard. Getting two of these would be massive but unlikely I think. (Haven't seen enough of players who are also rumoured like Skriniar, Militao and Milenkovic for an example)
Can't decide which one I want most. But considering we need to exchange some players and some are running out of contract we are gonna need a few players before next summer so getting one in now would not be stupid, especially on of Koulibaly's quality who might have a smiliar effect on our defence as VVD has had for Pool. Don't buy into the we can't buy because we don't have a secured manager for the future, we are also within a shot of FA Cup, top 4 and CL so why not go for it. Question is will Napoli sell

Last edited:

L1nk

Whilst he is obviously a great player, i just don't see us spending upwards of 70-100mill on this guy, especially when he will be 28 when he signs for us, not that i'm saying it's a bad thing of course, but I bet the club will see it as less years for the high investment. Which is why i'm on board for what someone else mentioned in the thread, if the 100mill odd touted for Koulibaly is correct, I would much rather us get Aldereiweld and De Ligt, Alder being much cheaper and we can get a good few seasons out of him whilst De Ligt matures even more and takes over. I could see the only rivals for De Ligt being City or PSG, I believe Barca will be out of the running after signing Todibo, so now is a great time to get him, and if we can get De Jong in that deal too, even better..

We could easily recoup some of that money, maybe 20mill odd, through the sales of Jones and Rojo too.

Canagel

I was of the opinion that we shouldn't spend such a huge amount for a CB. But I've changed my mind and think Koulibaly would be worth it. An absolutely top top CB that would galvanize our back line IMO.
You changed your mind because we were clueless team going nowhere under the last manager and therefore seemed utterly pointless splashing 100m for a manager that has no idea or clear direction in where he was taking us. Now we look like an actual good team with strengths and weaknesses and definitely more open towards signings to improve our weak points. So 90-100m to sign Koulibaly for the next manager whether it's OGS or whoever? Absolutely. The appetite for new signings has returned once again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.