Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

If no De Ligt, then this guy should be an absolute priority. We are so desperate for a world class center back.

Bestietom

If no De Ligt, then this guy should be an absolute priority. We are so desperate for a world class center back.
Don't think Napoli want to sell, which is why they are trying to price everyone out. But Milenkovic would be my choice .

dev1l

Despite their seemingly reluctance to sell, I think eventually Napoli will sell. Getting 90m for a 27 year old player is good business, especially in Italy where prices are cheaper.
Imo ADL is playing hard ball to get best selling price
(Disclosure: I m not an Itk...he he)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He is more mobile. Not sure why it has to be Lindelof a new signing would be coming in to partner though.
He’s the only centre back we have that looks like he won’t shit himself when the ball comes near him. Unless we’re buying 2 then it’s safe to assume it’ll be the new signing plus Victor.

Kaglish10

Don't think Napoli want to sell, which is why they are trying to price everyone out. But Milenkovic would be my choice .
He looks good but I think he's better as a RCB. Koulibaly can play as a RCB and LCB but like you have said, he's too expensive.

Red00012

Perhaps but we’re also missing a trick offensively. When was the last time we scored a header from a corner?

Look at City, probably the best ‘baller’ team in the country versus Brighton. Laporte came up with the goods. Liverpool have VVD who is a threat from corners. We don’t have anyone. So whilst it’s not the only consideration it should still be considered
I’d even ask the question when did we last score from a corner ?

Kidders

There are a number of CB's that would be worth considering, but how many are actually comfortable playing as the Left sided CB ? Koulibally-Maguire-Romagnoli-Ake-Chiellini- Umtiti ?
For one reason or another it is Koulibally for me.

sherrinford

He’s the only centre back we have that looks like he won’t shit himself when the ball comes near him. Unless we’re buying 2 then it’s safe to assume it’ll be the new signing plus Victor.
He is a mouse. I think he is a reasonably tidy player but he is hardly unflappable under pressure and he shirks responsibility in possession - he shows no ability or inclination to go and command a game of football.

And then there is, of course, the matter of actually defending, where he is again a mouse. No aggression, unathletic in every sense, scared of marking, of being isolated, of moving from his little spot.

Lindelof exists in his own little bubble. I haven’t seen an extensive amount of Koulibaly but when I have he’s looked the complete opposite kind of player - a machine who stamps his authority all over games.

Smalling is our best defender and worst football player. His penchant for wrestling and hauling shirts will no doubt cause more grief with VAR being introduced next season too. Lindelof is plain, dull average at everything. I don’t think that’s a clear cut choice really. And either way it’s not ideal, but I certainly wouldn’t expect two signings. I hope Tuanzebe can come in a show a bit more, but maybe that’s too much to ask for.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’d even ask the question when did we last score from a corner ?
I don't know if it was the last but Smalling scored with a volley against Watford on a corner this past season.

-Supreme-

The guy will be 29 next summer and his value is only going to one direction.

This summer is their last chance to get good money for him and I reckon 80m should do it.

croadyman

The guy will be 29 next summer and his value is only going to one direction.

This summer is their last chance to get good money for him and I reckon 80m should do it.
Still think the Koulibaly stuff could potentially pick up when De Ligt rejects us officially. Mind you by the time he does that will probably be too late to get our second choice.

Fer

Besides Koulibaly, is there another available top defender to play on the left side of the defense?

I have noticed that De Ligt and Alderweireld normally play on the right side.

Maybe we could give Darmian, Rojo and/or Matic +money to sign Koulibaly.

Le Red

Still think the Koulibaly stuff could potentially pick up when De Ligt rejects us officially. Mind you by the time he does that will probably be too late to get our second choice.
Not to mention that if Napoli already want ridiculous money now, imagine when they know we're really desperate.

croadyman

I honestly can see us going all in for Koulibaly now with City seemingly leading the race for Maguire, obviously he will be away at the African Cup of Nations for a month but still expect there to be talk in the press while that is happening

How much do you think is the maximum figure that Utd would go to for him just out of interest?

spaceboyRSA

I honestly can see us going all in for Koulibaly now with City seemingly leading the race for Maguire, obviously he will be away at the African Cup of Nations for a month but still expect there to be talk in the press while that is happening
I think the Afcon thing is no longer an issue- happens during off season now? Coming from South Africa you would think I would be sure...but I’m not because nobody really pays attention to it.

WPMUFC

How much do you think is the maximum figure that Utd would go to for him just out of interest?
if we see him as the only option, 110m with 23 in easy addons. He's not being sold for less than his upcoming buyout clause.

I honestly think we've moved on from him.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis confirmed the Italian side rejected a £95million offer for reported Manchester United target Kalidou Koulibaly.

Discussing Koulibaly's future, De Laurentiis told reporters: "We are more than capable of developing top players and keeping them too.

"When they offer £95m for a centre-back, that is a figure that has never been offered before, it means this is a top player."

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/na...nited-links-de-laurentiis#rQADT8pshpvpXeHV.99
"[Jose] Mourinho wanted him, we rejected £95 million," De Laurentiis said. "But now it's impossibile that he leaves Napoli."
https://www.goal.com/en/news/de-lau...d-bid-for-koulibaly/5w56i6jvnjxb183t9t15bqej1

Last edited:

UncleBob

- He's not that good, so I doubt we're all that interested in him either.
- It's £20mill above the current record fee for a cb, if we made a world record £95mill bid for Kalidou it'd be all over the news at the time, no way did we submit such an offer without it being mentioned anywhere for over a year, especially not with the "tug of war" between Ed and Mourinho, would've been leaked instantly.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
are you guys claiming it's impossible for Napoli to reject an offer 40 million below their evaluation?
Who on earth thinks he is worth 135m. Not even worth 80m.

WPMUFC

- He's not that good, so I doubt we're all that interested in him either.
-
"He's not that good" is not evidence against a direct quote from a club chairman.

It's £20mill above the current record fee for a cb, if we made a world record £95mill bid for Kalidou it'd be all over the news at the time, no way did we submit such an offer without it being mentioned anywhere for over a year, especially not with the "tug of war" between Ed and Mourinho, would've been leaked instantly.
It's exactly the same kind of rumour we heard around Varane when the window closed. It came out we discussed a 100m bid with Perez during a breakfast meeting.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...r-varane-caps-summer-of-frustration-rhgkqclfb

WPMUFC

Who on earth thinks he is worth 135m. Not even worth 80m.
Napoli?

Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti has reaffirmed that Manchester United and Real Madrid target Kalidou Koulibaly will not be sold this summer, as reports emerge suggesting he has a release clause in his contract.

Club president Aurelio De Laurentiis has forged a reputation as an incredibly tough negotiator and will likely reject advances from any interested side as he seeks to retain the defender, who is under contract at the Stadio San Paolo until the summer of 2023.

However, he may be unable to do so, with Corriero dello Sport claiming that Koulibaly will have a €150m release clause in his contract next summer which is active only for overseas sides
https://www.90min.com/posts/6331553...-not-be-sold-as-release-clause-details-emerge

UncleBob

"He's not that good" is not evidence against a direct quote from a club chairman.
Aurelio is a nutjob.

It's exactly the same kind of rumour we heard around Varane when the window closed. It came out we discussed a 100m bid with Perez during a breakfast meeting.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...r-varane-caps-summer-of-frustration-rhgkqclfb
And this proves what ? Varane was mentioned in what is largely reported as a leak from Woodwards after Mourinho was less than happy about us not signing a defender last summer. Yet there's feck all mention of us launching a £95mill bid for Kalidou.

Never happened

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’d never even heard of Him a couple of years back. He’d have been what, 25-26 when I first heard of him? My point is, surely there are CB’s in the 23-25 age range flying under the radar at the moment that we could find and that are ready to become the next big thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.