Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Underrating our own players because we watch them every game and see all the good and bad, versus overrating players from other leagues that we hardly ever watch but they were a big name once
That's not entirely fair, I've watched a lot of Koulibaly, in fact I've probably watched every single one of his highlights video so I can tell you with some confidence that he barely every puts a foot wrong.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He's a great player and would be a huge improvement to the side.

I would worry though that the risk of him breaking down might even outweigh the potential benefit.

Craig Ward

I think this is most likely a recycled story with no element of truth in it whatsoever.

A bit like us being linked to Gaitain every single window, its just press trash.

If i was to entertain the idea - he'd easily be our best CB and would probably signal the end of Lindelof's time here. The issue is in 2-3 seasons when Koulibaly is past it and on high wages - we'll be stuck with him (Think Jones/Smalling/Young etc) And knowing our amazing recruitment team we'll have no replacement lined up and end up paying over the odds for a replacement at the last minute.

Right now, i'd probably stay clear of this deal. Midfield is extremely light and we know Lingard is being touted around and Pogba is likely to go, along with Matic in the summer. We already need x2 in midfield before potentially 3 departures.

While Lindelof isn't the best CB in the world - he's capable for another season and we arent getting rid of Maguire/Tuanzebe any time soon

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's a great player and would be a huge improvement to the side.

I would worry though that the risk of him breaking down might even outweigh the potential benefit.
What do you mean by that?

flappyjay

Underrating our own players because we watch them every game and see all the good and bad, versus overrating players from other leagues that we hardly ever watch but they were a big name once
Can't trust the opinion of people who couldn't even judge Maguire's level and he plays in the epl. The barely saw him play. Then you have the same people trying to hype up someone who they have seen in less than 5 games in koulibaly

Cassidy

Can't trust the opinion of people who couldn't even judge Maguire's level and he plays in the epl. The barely saw him play. Then you have the same people trying to hype up someone who they have seen in less than 5 games in koulibaly
Maybe only you have seen 5 games. Doesnt apply to everyone.

Anyone with eyes knew Maguire wasnt good enough

flappyjay

Maybe only you have seen 5 games. Doesnt apply to everyone.

Anyone with eyes knew Maguire wasnt good enough
My point is they was a good number that tried to convince us and themselves that he was close to VVD in quality which he wasn't. The same is happening again you might have seen koulibaly play a lot but most endorsing him do it with less than 5 games seen and reputation

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My point is they was a good number that tried to convince us and themselves that he was close to VVD in quality which he wasn't. The same is happening again you might have seen koulibaly play a lot but most endorsing him do it with less than 5 games seen and reputation
Have you watched more than 5 of his games?

Cassidy

As many people were trying to convince us of Maguire there were plenty who called out the fact he wouldn't be good enough

spiriticon

Woo more CBs. Gotta catch em all!

Another name ticked off on our CB Pokedex

Next up, Varane.

Last edited:

flappyjay

Have you watched more than 5 of his games?
No I haven't that's why I reserve my comments on him. It's just that I know there a lot of so called expert serie A watchers here when we signed Darmian. I just feel if you haven't seen a player play you shouldn't claim to know so much about him.

Cassidy

No I haven't that's why I reserve my comments on him. It's just that I know there a lot of so called expert serie A watchers here when we signed Darmian. I just feel if you haven't seen a player play you shouldn't claim to know so much about him.
To be fair, Darmian was pretty good at Torino, just because he didn't adapt doesn't mean he wasn't a good player there. Similarly Shaw has been poor at United but was good at Southampton.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, you do realise there is a Seria A thread on this forum so quite a few people do actually watch quite a bit of Seria A

JPRouve

Scout
You didn't reseve your comment though, you judged other people's opinion on a player that you seemingly don't know. Also a lot of people thought that Maguire wasn't close to VVD and wasn't a good purchase for that fee, I was one of them and I was far from an exception.

Andersons Dietician

When he was touted at 80-100mill I wouldn’t have even gone close to him. 60mil still seems a little bit steep but it’s the way the market Is heading.

Decent player and probably a bit unfair to compare him to the likes of VVD and Laporte but I think we’d be better looking at someone younger unless Ole really has faith that in a year or 2 Tuanzebe will replace him.

Should add Dont for a second believe there is any truth in this rumour.

JPRouve

Scout
For what it's worth, I don't believe the periodic rumours. I don't think that he has any will to move from Napoli.

flappyjay

You didn't reseve your comment though, you judged other people's opinion on a player that you seemingly don't know. Also a lot of people thought that Maguire wasn't close to VVD and wasn't a good purchase for that fee, I was one of them and I was far from an exception.
I did reserve my comments on the player. I have never mentioned the level of player I think koulibaly is, as I have no idea. Then there is a group of people that will pretend they do just like in the Maguire saga. You didn't really follow the Maguire saga on this forum if you don't think there was a lot of people saying he is close to Maguire and how he is a couple of levels above what we have.

JPRouve

Scout
I did reserve my comments on the player. I have never mentioned the level of player I think koulibaly is, as I have no idea. Then there is a group of people that will pretend they do just like in the Maguire saga. You didn't really follow the Maguire saga on this forum if you don't think there was a lot of people saying he is close to Maguire and how he is a couple of levels above what we have.
I followed it and I can tell you that as many people had the opposing opinion, you can check it the thread is in the transfer forum.

flappyjay

To be fair, Darmian was pretty good at Torino, just because he didn't adapt doesn't mean he wasn't a good player there. Similarly Shaw has been poor at United but was good at Southampton.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, you do realise there is a Seria A thread on this forum so quite a few people do actually watch quite a bit of Seria A
I know there is, but fact is a lot people in this forum don't watch serie a or watch every once in a while but feel like they can throw their opinions on players they have never watched based of reputation, fifa and football manager stats. So much so they can go on full on arguments with people who watch the player regularly.

There was a guy who argued with a Portuguese fan on Joao Felix's strengths and weaknesses despite the other guy watching him week and week out. The other guy had only seen him on the Europa ties against Frankfurt.

Cassidy

I know there is, but fact is a lot people in this forum don't watch serie a or watch every once in a while but feel like they can throw their opinions on players they have never watched based of reputation, fifa and football manager stats. So much so they can go on full on arguments with people who watch the player regularly.

There was a guy who argued with a Portuguese fan on Joao Felix's strengths and weaknesses despite the other guy watching him week and week out. The other guy had only seen him on the Europa ties against Frankfurt.
Does happen yes.
On the Maguire saga, there were many people very vocal about him being overpriced and not that great

Lynty

Seen him play twice I think, so can't comment on his ability.

But that's outrageous money for any 29 year old, when we have other priorities.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I mean we do need to upgrade Lindelof, however, with the quoted price and at his age, I don't see this transfer to make any sense. The news probably shit lie. Not sure what is the media trying to pull here?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't think there's any chance of it happening but I really wouldn't be adverse to this transfer as long as:

A. It has absolutely no financial implications on our reinforcement of our midfield and right wing.
B. We are able to offload Rojo, Jones and Smalling.

I'd be delighted with:
Maguire - Koulibaly
Lindelof - Taunzebe

And if we could get:
Rojo: £15m | -£80k less p/w in wages.
Smalling: £20m | -£80k
Jones: £5m | -£75k

That would be more than half his fee covered and all his wages covered and our defence really should be sorted for a long time then.

Cassidy

I don't think there's any chance of it happening but I really wouldn't be adverse to this transfer as long as:

A. It has absolutely no financial implications on our reinforcement of our midfield and right wing.

I'd be delighted with:
Maguire - Koulibaly
Lindelof - Taunzebe

And if we could get:

That would be more than half his fee covered and all his wages covered and our defence really should be sorted for a long time then.
Agree

jackal&hyde

I'd be delighted with:
Maguire - Koulibaly
Lindelof - Taunzebe

And if we could get:

When you put it like that, it actually makes it sound like a very good idea to buy him for about £60 mil. It's on!

Ranchero

Not a priority to bring in another central defender when we need strengthening in central midfield and up front.

And is £65m for what will be a 29-year-old good value?? I don't think so.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not a priority to bring in another central defender when we need strengthening in central midfield and up front.

And is £65m for what will be a 29-year-old good value?? I don't think so.
Value isn't solely down to age alone.

I think we are banging on about age too much when we buy players. I don't give a feck about age as long as they bring leadership, experience and stability to the back line over say 3 seasons or more.

For Koulibaly that's more than fathomable.

SAFMUTD

I watch a bit of other leagues and the bold is nonsense. Konate is sidelined with a long term injury, has barely played, and wasn't considered better than Koulibaly, so this choice is especially weird. Smalling has committed 2 major errors in his last 2 matches and though he looks better he's clearly worse overall in the same league. Sule is a bang average defender and I think most Bayern fans would happily swap him for Koulibaly.
Well then there are another 9 options where to pick up 5.
My point is he’s not that good and he’s not young so we shouldnt play a top fee for him. Damn I say we shouldn’t even be after him.

Cassidy

Well then there are another 9 options where to pick up 5.
My point is he’s not that good and he’s not young so we shouldnt play a top fee for him. Damn I say we shouldn’t even be after him.
Which is a load of crap

Cassidy

You never replied to my post with all the reasons why I think he’s not worth it, but hey you can always post things like this and run away from debate, good for you.
What has that got to do with you saying he isn't that good. that is complete rubbish.
I am not even really advocating buying him, but there is no need to come out and say he isn't good when he is clearly a good defender. You even went on to list plenty of players in a previous post that are not as good as him. Its beyond weird.

You don't think United should sign him because he is going to be 29 ok fine, I disagree since as a club and squad we are incredibly young and our "experienced players" are not good enough and need replacing. However in the posts where you have attempted to paint the player to not be good I have come out and questioned you, because its incorrect.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

I'd be delighted with:
Maguire - Koulibaly
Lindelof - Taunzebe

And if we could get:

We'll be lucky to get half that amount from transfer fees for them.

stepic

if this was as close as those reports suggested, a lot more journalists would have picked up the story. sounds like BS to me.

MAME DIOUF 32

Yes, as I said in a previous post I wouldn’t pay anything more than 40 for him.

at the moment he’s not much of an improvement on Lindelof or Maguire, we should have learn about overpaying for defender s after what we paid for Maguire .
We should have learned about overpaying for a defender after Bailly, then after Lindelof, now after Maguire.

Jibbs

We should be targeting instead players like Pau Torres, Mohammed Salisu, Ben White, Marash Kumbulla etc

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He's had a wobble this season, after four straight ones of being the best or second best defender in Serie A. All the more impressive given the clowns masquerading as left-backs next to him over that period. Yet as he ages every transfer window that passes makes a move less ideal and suggests buying clubs have missed the boat given the still high asking price.

wilkie1990

That's not entirely fair, I've watched a lot of Koulibaly, in fact I've probably watched every single one of his highlights video so I can tell you with some confidence that he barely every puts a foot wrong.
Well that makes sense, because we all know highlight videos show players ‘putting a foot wrong’.

Status
Not open for further replies.