Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josep Dowling

It amuses me how much our fans flip flop their opinions. There's talk that Roma, Spurs n Arsenal would take Bailly. Why? Because they can see there's talent there.

He's had a poor season but I think a lot of that can be put on Jose as he's been solid for us before this season.

Lindelof has gone from being absolutely woeful to being just okay and people think he's the answer now.
I think Bailly can be a fantastic CB, if we look at his performance before this season. He is erratic and his positioning can be awful at times. He needs a Van Dijk type next to him which is constantly shouting to him about positioning.

Whilst Lindelof has looked more solid I think against better opposition he will get found out, he's too slow and gets beaten by aerial duels quite a lot.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Had his chance? This is the level of stupidity in here. He's not turned into a bad player overnight.

Things I've seen under Bailly at CB = us being solid. Admittedly last season but we did have second best defence out of 20.

Things I've never seen.....us being solid with Lindelof.

Who is the biggest change to our defence this year?
Last season? Smalling and Jones were the ones who mostly played last season, and even Lindelof played significantly more than Bailly.

Bailly had a good three or so months when he first joined us. Since then he's been all over the place, with as many terrible games and periods as what he has had good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If we spend this kind of dough in Jan, which by the way I'd be all for, then either Ole is defo staying or we know who our next manager is already and are keeping it quiet for obvious reasons. No way we'd spunk 100 million or close to that without the approval of the "new" manager, be it Ole or someone else. Maybe a summer signing, would love it to be now though.
I disagree here. I know what you mean, but a top quality CB that's great at defending and on the ball (and is fast!) is useful to any manager.

It amuses me how much our fans flip flop their opinions. There's talk that Roma, Spurs n Arsenal would take Bailly. Why? Because they can see there's talent there.

He's had a poor season but I think a lot of that can be put on Jose as he's been solid for us before this season.

Lindelof has gone from being absolutely woeful to being just okay and people think he's the answer now.
I agree - I haven't given up on Bailly I hope he can regain his form

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

People on here often do change their opinion with the wind/the last game, but I don't think having a player settle and perform a bit better then changing opinion is daft. That's surely how it should be? Better than those that are too stubborn to change their opinion.
Similar with those that don't live up to what was once expected. Jones had a pass for a long long time because people thought he was going to become some incredible player, as an extreme example.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Think the biggest loser with regards to Koulibaly is France. Missed out big time on someone who would've definitely helped. In terms of stability.

Nickosaur

Had his chance? This is the level of stupidity in here. He's not turned into a bad player overnight.

Things I've seen under Bailly at CB = us being solid. Admittedly last season but we did have second best defence out of 20.

Things I've never seen.....us being solid with Lindelof.

Who is the biggest change to our defence this year?
How much did Bailly actually play last season?

He hasn't shown enough in 3 years. When do we cut the cord?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Our next manager may not rate Martial. Or Rashford. Or Pogba. It’s the nature of the job I think.
Why the feck would you hire a guy who doesn't rate your core players? :houllier:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why the feck would you hire a guy who doesn't rate your core players? :houllier:
Well we hired Jose... :lol:

I agree though key part of the interview process

Silas

We should get rid of Jones and Rojo before we think of cutting Bailly. He's still quite young for a CB, so there's plenty of time for him to cut the rashness from his game. If he does, he'll be a very useful asset to us.

poleglass red

We should get rid of Jones and Rojo before we think of cutting Bailly. He's still quite young for a CB, so there's plenty of time for him to cut the rashness from his game. If he does, he'll be a very useful asset to us.
I think Bailly is caught in between styles. He's a modern type defender in that he's good at a lot of things but master of none. He's too poor in the air to play as your physical man marker central defender in the PL. The rashness is also an issue, that maybe could be tweaked but aerially he's not ever going to be dominant.Not so much an issue in CL but for sure in PL. He's decent with the ball without ever being your main ball playing centre half. There's also the issue since his initial arrival he's hasn't shown any levels of progression, in fact if anything regression.

mav_9me

I think Bailly is caught in between styles. He's a modern type defender in that he's good at a lot of things but master of none. He's too poor in the air to play as your physical man marker central defender in the PL. The rashness is also an issue, that maybe could be tweaked but aerially he's not ever going to be dominant.Not so much an issue in CL but for sure in PL. He's decent with the ball without ever being your main ball playing centre half. There's also the issue since his initial arrival he's hasn't shown any levels of progression, in fact if anything regression.
I like his aggressive style of defending. Of course there is a fine line between aggression and rash stupidity. The other thing is if we plan on playing this current attacking style you need defenders who can defend one on one and are pacy which I think are his strengths. Agreed about him not being great aerially.

About the regression, hard to judge under Mourinho. We'll see how he does from now on.

Judas

Open to offers
Bailly and Koulibaly would be a terrifying partnership, as in, I'd be terrified to watch it. There might be a great defender in Bailly somewhere, but we're no closer to seeing it than when he arrived, if anything, we look less likely of seeing it. I'd not rush him out the door first when we have bigger wastes of spaces about the place, but I don't think we'd be made to look that daft for moving him on if a great offer came in.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I think Bailly is good in one-in-ones but lacking in pretty much every other area.

Sterling Archer

Koulibaly
Koulibaily
Koulibailly
Kolbailly
Obailly
Bailly

Bailly and Koulibaly would be a terrifying partnership, as in, I'd be terrified to watch it.
I expect their on field partnership to blend as easily as their names.

Patrick08

OH come in he was pretty decent in first season, second season was injury ridden but he did well in moments specially like Liverpool game. And in his third after few initial mistakes Jose treated him like he treated Shaw. There is still a lot of potential in bailly and hopefully he can turn down his over aggression and be a stable defender soon enough.

Devil may care

I'm hoping the Manolas stuff is just bullshit to push Napoli's hand, as despite their protestations I think their owner wants that €100M he's pretending they've already been offered, just like when they sold Higuain, Koulibaly is never going to be worth more than he is right now. .

Kidders

I'm hoping the Manolas stuff is just bullshit to push Napoli's hand, as despite their protestations I think their owner wants that €100M he's pretending they've already been offered, just like when they sold Higuain, Koulibaly is never going to be worth more than he is right now. .
Spot on, Koulibaly is at his peak (most valuable) if, and I do mean IF we offered the €100m they would snatch our hands off.

Bwuk

Can’t say I’ve watched a lot of him, but all the highlight videos I’ve seen show him storming out of the line to slide tackle someone.

I’d imagine he’s a great 1v1 defender, as he’s fast, very strong and powerf, but I do wonder how he’d fit into our defensive system.

Like I said - I haven’t seen a lot of him.

nainaisson

The problem is that Mourinho is wanted by Real Madrid and he already told them that to go back he wants a CB & RB and we all know that Mourinho wanted Koulibaly so if we're not quick about this then off he goes to Madrid.
Yeah, I can see this happening too. It's the perfect way for Mourinho to stick it to Woodward for sacking him.

beingshe7don

I'm a fan of Bailly but apart from his debut season, he's been all over the place when it comes to his injuries and his bad performances have been a complete fiasco. Either way, I think we need to get Skriniar and Koulibaly... if it means paying 150m to replace the back two.... then so be it.

Shaw ---- Skriniar ---- Koulibaly ---- Dalot

No a huge fan of Smalling either but he's done okay alongside Lindelof... so they would be decent backups.

Bailly, Jones and Rojo need to leave.... Hopefully, we can put together about 50-60m by selling them.

I think Tuanzebe and Roshaun Williams need to be given a run in the cup games alongside one of our stronger defenders to gain more confidence.

Ekeke

I'm a fan of Bailly but apart from his debut season, he's been all over the place when it comes to his injuries and his bad performances have been a complete fiasco. Either way, I think we need to get Skriniar and Koulibaly... if it means paying 150m to replace the back two.... then so be it.

Shaw ---- Skriniar ---- Koulibaly ---- Dalot

No a huge fan of Smalling either but he's done okay alongside Lindelof... so they would be decent backups.

Bailly, Jones and Rojo need to leave.... Hopefully, we can put together about 50-60m by selling them.

I think Tuanzebe and Roshaun Williams need to be given a run in the cup games alongside one of our stronger defenders to gain more confidence.
Better make that £200 million. Inter will demand whatever the going rate is for Koulibaly with the theory that he's much younger, will play longer and become better.

If nobody will pay £100 million for Koulibaly then Skriniar would surely cost less.

beingshe7don

Better make that £200 million. Inter will demand whatever the going rate is for Koulibaly with the theory that he's much younger, will play longer and become better.

If nobody will pay £100 million for Koulibaly then Skriniar would surely cost less.
I agree.... that may be the case but since Vidic and Ferdinand... we've had

Johnny Evans
Smalling
Jones
Rojo
Daley Blind
Bailly
Lindelof

Vidic and Ferdinand were definitely in the best top 5 defenders in the world. We haven't had any since they left... The reason City have become such a force to reckon with by actually spending heavily and wisely in replacing their defense and actually getting it right. Our priority has to be CB and possibly a CM at this point. I think Koulibaly would bring the Van Dijk sort of belief on the defensive side for us. I also think that Lindelof plays a lot better when he complimented by a leader sort of figure which Koulibaly would offer.

I wouldn't even mind if we got Koulibaly and De Ligt.... along with De Jong for the CM position. Now that would be a great transfer window.....

Devil may care

Spot on, Koulibaly is at his peak (most valuable) if, and I do mean IF we offered the €100m they would snatch our hands off.
Yeah, it's a game from Napoli right now, unfortunately it's one that probably wont play out until the summer, which is a shame as Koulibaly could be the defensive piece that helps us get top 4.

poleglass red

I keep reading from so called pundits/ reporters that this deal will more than likely be done in the summer. I am wondering of that narrative suits us and we play along then and bang seal it up at the end of the window.I know his club are feeding the line that he has to stay as they are fighting to win europa league but there's usually a twist in these types of deals.

Patrick08

Yeah, it's a game from Napoli right now, unfortunately it's one that probably wont play out until the summer, which is a shame as Koulibaly could be the defensive piece that helps us get top 4.
We can still get top 4 regardless if we just focus on playing the way we should and have some trust in what we have to see it through. We had second best defense in epl since last two years, it just doesn't go so bad in half a season other than managers poor defensive tactics and his methods shooting down the confidence of our players.

RedorDead21

I'd rather see Bailly and Lindelof both playing as first teamers for the remainder of the season before be decide we have to invest in another CB. Lindelof has been much improved and hopefully Bailly can follow a similar pattern. A DoF for me needs to be in place and making the decisions before another player joins the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.