Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fer

If De Ligt is heading to PSG or Barca, we should sign Koulibaly. He is overpriced, but we could end up spending almost that amount of money on Maguire (who is not as good as Koulibaly).

Gandalf

The Koulibaly/Maguire debtate seems to be based on what kind of system Ole wants to run and the role of the CB in that system. Koulibaly is an immense defender and clearly technically much better in that role than Maguire but Maguire has a ton of confidence bringing the ball out from the back and is willing to play attacking balls and drive the team forward. If we are going to play on the front foot and look to dominate from back to front then Maguire is a better system fit, if we are going to be more of a counter attacking team based on rock solid defending then it is Koulibaly all day.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Maguire and KK would be a brilliant partnership. We are the richest club - just fecking show the world we are that.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Maguire and KK would be a brilliant partnership. We are the richest club - just fecking show the world we are that.
Unfortunately we have never in our history acted in this manner.

croadyman

The Koulibaly/Maguire debtate seems to be based on what kind of system Ole wants to run and the role of the CB in that system. Koulibaly is an immense defender and clearly technically much better in that role than Maguire but Maguire has a ton of confidence bringing the ball out from the back and is willing to play attacking balls and drive the team forward. If we are going to play on the front foot and look to dominate from back to front then Maguire is a better system fit, if we are going to be more of a counter attacking team based on rock solid defending then it is Koulibaly all day.
You are the first person to make that point and when you look at it maybe that's why we are looking at Maguire over Koulibaly.

I thought Koulibaly was able to play out from the back though from the videos that I had seen of him.

I think the high price is putting them off him which is a shame because think he would make a huge difference to the defence.

Varun

Staff
Koulibaly is superb on the ball

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ferdinand?

Rooney?

Several in the 80s

Roy Keane

etc etc
I only go back to the early 90s. Under Fergie we were happy to go out and nab the league’s best player or best up and coming talent every few years. But we never really went out and dominated the market in a way that reflected our self-image as the world’s biggest club. We never challenged the big continental sides for the very top players.

Gandalf

Koulibaly is superb on the ball
He is, it is just the style of play. To be clear this is not my opinion but what I have picked up from watching the pundits on ESPN etc. discussing the likely destinations of top players. They mostly see Maguire being a better fit for City because they place less of a premium on defensive solidity and actually like their defenders to take risks in attack which seems to be a big part of his game. I personally think that if that is the case we should be buying Koulibaly unless we are also adding a sweeper keeper to replace DDG and switching to a high line building from the back.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If we're going to spend £90m on Maguire we should just trigger Koulibaly's release clause. Simple as.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Dude. I just thought you should know that K2 has more joga bonito than Maguire will ever have. He's better at bringing the ball out from defence, he's better at passing through the lines. He's faster too.

Maguire is way better at heading. That's it. And I'm a fan of Maguire btw.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He is, it is just the style of play. To be clear this is not my opinion but what I have picked up from watching the pundits on ESPN etc. discussing the likely destinations of top players. They mostly see Maguire being a better fit for City because they place less of a premium on defensive solidity and actually like their defenders to take risks in attack which seems to be a big part of his game. I personally think that if that is the case we should be buying Koulibaly unless we are also adding a sweeper keeper to replace DDG and switching to a high line building from the back.
This was your first mistake.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
So City are in for him now and have offered 95 Million.

We are the laughing stock of the transfer market!

Mainoldo

Doubt they would pay that much. Napoli probably surprised we haven’t come back for him and leaked this story.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Would love him at City. Alongside Laporte, what a partnership that could be. I'll wait until a reliable source speaks before getting my hopes up though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why did it take until June to realise he wasn’t for sale? We should’ve enquired in April and found that out, and moved on to other targets.

Roboc7

Why did it take until June to realise he wasn’t for sale? We should’ve enquired in April and found that out, and moved on to other targets.
Exactly he isn’t for sale and if he was would cost a price we wouldn’t be prepared to pay, same goes for Maguire.

We should know or learn these things much quicker and move on. Seems like we spend ages before coming to some form of realisation though and then it’s panic stations.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Annnd just like that, Ducker pours cold water all over this one. You can cease the meltdown, some of you.

Vissy

Whatever he costs, KK should be the defender we sign this window. I literally don't care if the club pays 150m to get him in.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Napoli playing games trying to drum up business of their best asset. But only in their chairman’s tiny mind is he worth that amount

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Makes sense. City lose a great defender so they go out and buy an equivalent.
He’s not equivalent though. Their former captain was good at everything only injuries held him back. KK can’t head a decking ball and it remains to be seen whether he can survive in a faster tempo environment

Bestietom

Woody will always prefer the cheaper one, which is why we will always be left behind.This great club is going backwards with the Glazers and Woodward running it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Woody will always prefer the cheaper one, which is why we will always be left behind.This great club is going backwards with the Glazers and Woodward running it.
I genuinely don't understand what this has to do with Koulibaly?

Zlatattack

He’s not equivalent though. Their former captain was good at everything only injuries held him back. KK can’t head a decking ball and it remains to be seen whether he can survive in a faster tempo environment
This guy can't head a ball?

El Zoido

Not a laughing stock, more of a growing irrelevance. The club is run horribly and has been for years, I do not see an end in sight.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
It's just Napoli agitating because they realized their first gambit didn't work. No one's paying that amount. Neither United nor City.

Bestietom

I genuinely don't understand what this has to do with Koulibaly?
Koulibaly is the costliest of all the CB's we are interested in, although the best. Woodward will go for the cheaper one.So we will never be tops again as long as he is in charge of transfers.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Koulibaly is the costliest of all the CB's we are interested in, although the best. Woodward will go for the cheaper one.So we will never be tops again as long as he is in charge of transfers.
I don't think that's true, Napoli are just playing the game. We will buy Koulibaly if we can get the price to about £60m.

MetoTTT

Not a City signing imo (price, age) at all. Pep would rather push for De Ligt if a CB is needed.

el3mel

I don't think that's true, Napoli are just playing the game. We will buy Koulibaly if we can get the price to about £60m.
That's day dreaming. Impossible. For that price we're struggling to even get Harry Maguire.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That's day dreaming. Impossible. For that price we're struggling to even get Harry Maguire.
70m euros is quite reasonable for someone who turns 28 tomorrow. They've apparently knocked 60m off the 150m they were "demanding" before. As I said, it's all games. Even if it's £60m with add ons, would be more than fair.

el3mel

70m euros is quite reasonable for someone who turns 28 tomorrow. They've apparently knocked 60m off the 150m they were "demanding" before. As I said, it's all games. Even if it's £60m with add ons, would be more than fair.
They're not forced to sell. They'll be pretty happy to keep him around forever, so thinking 60-70 will be good enough for them doesn't make sense.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They're not forced to sell. They'll be pretty happy to keep him around forever, so thinking 60-70 will be good enough for them doesn't make sense.
No they're not forced to sell, but they will never get offer like it again and could easily reinvest that in Italy. Not only that, he may very well want to move on - he's only on 3.5m a year. He's also been there for 5 seasons, to get over 10x that 5 years later is great business.

Status
Not open for further replies.