Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He is not earning 220k a week in Napoli. Are u serious?:lol:
He isn't. New contract is reportedly worth €14m a year. But as i said, he's not moving for a pay cut. You'd have to offer him a raise

croadyman

I just saw something from one of these twitter ITK's saying he has been told we are in for him due to being priced out for Maguire.

Sounds like the biggest load of rubbish I have heard this window,no chance we walk away from a £80m deal for a £100m one.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I just saw something from one of these twitter ITK's saying he has been told we are in for him due to being priced out for Maguire.

Sounds like the biggest load of rubbish I have heard this window,no chance we walk away from a £80m deal for a £100m one.
Priced out of Maguire to go for someone who'll cost twice as much? Interesting.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Napoli's president is on record as saying they previously rejected a world record bid from us.

"Mourinho wanted him, we rejected £95million," De Laurentiis said.

He would cost much closer to 150m than 100m.
Italians these days say a lot things, most untrue.

Italian football presidents to be more precise.

Redcy

Italians these days say a lot things, most untrue.

Italian football presidents to be more precise.
Whilst true I can guess they have put down a marker of 150m for him, with the plan to take a minimum 110m

Decomposing In Paris

Most likely BS, but for me he's a better player than Maguire. It could simply be that if we're going to have to pay £90m for Maguire, the extra we'd have to pay for someone better becomes smaller.

People seem fixated on the fact that Koulibaly isn't dominant in the air, but so many of us are happy to sacrifice the pace in the centre of our defence (Bailly & Smalling) to bring in Maguire. I've seen plenty of people say that ideally we'd bring them both in, but I think that of the Koulibaly makes a significantly bigger impact on his own. He might even transform Baily, because it sounds like he had similar attributes and approach prior to being coached in Italy (injuries aside).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's probably as good as Phil Jones. Solid but not as good as say Maguire or Van Dijk.
No he is way better then Phil Jones. Aso he's got something maguire doesn't have aka pace

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Stats back it up, he is good in the air, for all his shortcomings
The only CB we have that is good in the air is Smalling. Just watch us on corners not sure what the stats say, but Jones isn't good in the air IMO

settembrini

Jones is clearly better than Koulibaly in the air.

But to be fair heading is probably Koulibaly's biggest weakness while Jones's biggest weakness is either his inability to play 50% of the time due to injuries or his rubbish decision making.

Cassidy

Jones is clearly better than Koulibaly in the air.

But to be fair heading is probably Koulibaly's biggest weakness while Jones's biggest weakness is either his inability to play 50% of the time due to injuries or his rubbish decision making.
Hmm well opinions I guess

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Stats?:lol: I see him completely getting bullied on corners aerially and conceding.
Ok... do you watch enough of koulibaly to overrule his aerial stats being far worse then?

The only CB we have that is good in the air is Smalling. Just watch us on corners not sure what the stats say, but Jones isn't good in the air IMO
Na, Jones is as good, just there is plenty more worse in his overall game. Jones wins the majority of his headers that get played up to the striker in the air. I really don’t like Jones, but that is one thing he’s good at.

Cassidy

Ok... do you watch enough of koulibaly to overrule his aerial stats being far worse then?

Na, Jones is as good, just there is plenty more worse in his overall game. Jones wins the majority of his headers that get played up to the striker in the air. I really don’t like Jones, but that is one thing he’s good at.
He possibly does, but how is he at defending corners?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He possibly does, but how is he at defending corners?
Can’t say I remember well enough, tbf. I don’t think I know enough about Koulibaly at corners either. I can only really go on overall stats and the games I have seen.

devilish

I'm comparing purely from an aerial perspective. Defensively he's superior to both Jones and Maguire and is comparable to Van Dijk.
Honestly I can't understand this obsession with aerial dominance. We're not living in the early 90s anymore. In fact if you have a look at the EPL top scorers last season a staggering 4 out of 5 top scorers aren't exactly great in air (Salah, Abuameyang, Mane, Aguero) and tend to beat opponents with technique or/and pace. Don't take me wrong inches are important and Koulibaly offers that in his 6.5ft frame. However I can't help thinking that Maguire's signing is like buying full plate armour so you can survive fighting in WW2.

Patrick08

Honestly I can't understand this obsession with aerial dominance. We're not living in the early 90s anymore. In fact if you have a look at the EPL top scorers last season a staggering 4 out of 5 top scorers aren't exactly great in air (Salah, Abuameyang, Mane, Aguero) and tend to beat opponents with technique or/and pace. Don't take me wrong inches are important and Koulibaly offers that in his 6.5ft frame. However I can't help thinking that Maguire's signing is like buying full plate armour so you can survive fighting in WW2.
Smaller teams who park the bus, and go for long balls and crosses and set pieces to score and takes points off from top4 and title contenders are the reason teams can not compete for 90plus points, not the Mane, Salah and Agueros. So aerial ability is important in EPL.

Suv666

Why do people bump up transfer threads for posting irrelevant stuff. I thought we were linked with him again

United Pro

Jones is good aerially? Weird view.
I never said he was good, I just said he was about as good as Koulibaly.
I wasn't suggesting that aerial dominance is key to scoring goals, I was simply responding to your initial comment on Koulibaly being fantastic in the air by stating that he is about as aerially dominant as Phil Jones.

However, I do think aerial dominance is a useful facet to have as a CB. As a centre forward, pace, trickery and clever movement can more than make up for goals missed out from headers. As a CB, particularly against teams that hoof the ball to a tall centre forward, I think it is very useful to have an aerially dominant CB to help concede fewer chances and goals that way.

On Koulibaly, he has a good leap but he isn't 6ft5 as you've stated. He's 6ft1 (186cm). Watch from 8:20 in the video below where he mentions it himself if you want proof:

To clarify, I still think Koulibaly overall is a considerably superior CB to Maguire.

devilish

Smaller teams who park the bus, and go for long balls and crosses and set pieces to score and takes points off from top4 and title contenders are the reason teams can not compete for 90plus points, not the Mane, Salah and Agueros. So aerial ability is important in EPL.
If we can't nail them in their own half for 80 mins and clear the few chances they got them we are not a top club. Koulibaly can handle that. We don't need a slow CB whose only WC asset is being good in heading

Last edited:

Patrick08

If it's just a stat based opinion, then i'd like to remind you that Long balls and crosses are much more relevant to Epl game than Italian league. Koulibaly aerial ability is way better than Jones.

devilish

I wasn't suggesting that aerial dominance is key to scoring goals, I was simply responding to your initial comment on Koulibaly being fantastic in the air by stating that he is about as aerially dominant as Phil Jones.

However, I do think aerial dominance is a useful facet to have as a CB. As a centre forward, pace, trickery and clever movement can more than make up for goals missed out from headers. As a CB, particularly against teams that hoof the ball to a tall centre forward, I think it is very useful to have an aerially dominant CB to help concede fewer chances and goals that way.

On Koulibaly, he has a good leap but he isn't 6ft5 as you've stated. He's 6ft1 (186cm). Watch from 8:20 in the video below where he mentions it himself if you want proof:

To clarify, I still think Koulibaly overall is a considerably superior CB to Maguire.
that's strange cause even in the official website they used to write that he's 6ft5

devilish

People who think Koulibaly is 6 foot 5 can't have ever watched him play.
Serie A don't have the tallest of players so its easy to mess that up especially since Koulibaly is built like a frigging tank. I don't measure players up so if they say they are 6ft5 I believe them.

Last edited:

Patrick08

If we can't nail them in their own half for 80 mins and clear the few chances they got them we are not a top club. Koulibaly can handle that. We don't need a slow CB whose only WC asset is being good in heading
I was not debating on Koulibaly vs Maguire, but on why aerial ability is important in Epl. I am sure Koulibaly can handle that.

Also, you don't add players like Rashford, James, Lukaku to play in your forward line if you want to nail a team in their own half for 80 mins and create in oppositions half with players like Pogba looking to spray those passes in space, all the time without having the ability to create and Move in Small spaces. There is a reason Kompany was still the most important defender in city side who played that way.

You don't get judged as a top team and an top club for dominating possession stats but by efficiency in boxes and by overall play in midfield.

United Pro

If it's just a stat based opinion, then i'd like to remind you that Long balls and crosses are much more relevant to Epl game than Italian league. Koulibaly aerial ability is way better than Jones.
I haven't really seen any stats on this tbh, I was just basing it off what I had seen. But if you were to look at stats, it would depend on which stats you look at. I.e. if their aerial duels won % is comparable then the number of duels won't matter as much (unless of course the sample size is too small, which could be case with Jones given that he didn't play too many games). But then you'd also have to factor in the average opposition height and aerial ability when looking at those stats and given that both players play in different leagues, it's difficult to compare when looking at only stats.

devilish

I was not debating on Koulibaly vs Maguire, but on why aerial ability is important in Epl. I am sure Koulibaly can handle that.

Also, you don't add players like Rashford, James, Lukaku to play in your forward line if you want to nail a team in their own half for 80 mins and create in oppositions half players like Pogba looking to spray those passes in space, all the time without having the ability to create and Move in Small spaces. There is a reason Kompany was still the most important defender in city side who played that way.

You don't get judged as a top team and an top club for dominating possession stats but by efficiency in boxes and by overall play in midfield.
My point is that having Maguire, Lindelof and Matic in the centre is asking for trouble considering that football is moving away from the physical/crossing football to a more technique/pacey football. Koulibaly can handle crosses and so does Smalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.