Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
We are not in the stage to look resale value and all. We need defenders who should have the experience and have the ability to play ball from the back. Koulibally tick all the boxes and two footed too.

Will always be expensive because of our situation losing two defenders for free especially rudiger. All knew our situation and we couldn't able to play penny pinching wait and watch game.

In fact I expected lot more money needed to bring him in. But having one year left on deal allowed us to get him for the money quoted.
He’s 31 so think the price is about right. We paid the same for Varane who is a few years younger.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He's pretty poor aerially and not as tall as the oft-quoted figure - he's actually c. 187cm (about the same as Eric Bailly, for example).

Anyway, aerial prowess aside, he's a very good CB and a decent signing for Chelsea.
Thing is , paying 30m for a 31 year old who has no experience outside of Serie A , playing in a 3 man defence with Silva and mostly Ake. I wouldn't worry about that defence at all.

Hey , that's my 2 cents.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Colwill probably out on loan again. Would leave us with Chalobah, Silva, Koulibaly, ake [his signing is a case of when, not if IMO] James in emergency, Sarr!

It'd be totally pointless to keep Colwill around if we are going to give him a few mins here and there against league 2 sides in the Carabao for example. Might aswell let him go get 90mins a week in the champ, or similar.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Thing is , paying 30m for a 31 year old who has no experience outside of Serie A , playing in a 3 man defence with Silva and mostly Ake. I wouldn't worry about that defence at all.

Hey , that's my 2 cents.
Mostly I think koulibally will play in center or left sided center back and ake too capable of playing both roles as well. Silva with 1 year + from last season will play limited selective games, chalobah and in emergency Reece will play RCB. Assuming azpi will be sold.

You know last season chalobah played more for us in league than Christensen and we didn't lose a single game with him in our team last season.

You have to include chalobah too in our defense. He is our invincible defender. :)

skc_18

I'm sure they could've gotten 80-90M€ for him at some point but if they finally sell him now at 31 for 40M€ with a year left on his deal and have been able to enjoy the player's best years, can you really blame them for not taking the money 3-4 years ago?

Koulibaly would have been incredibly difficult for them to replace so I don't think they mind losing out on 40-50M€ to get many more years out of him. Seemed like the player's been happy to stay as well.
Well it depends. Is he the most critical player in the team without whom team will break. If not, he could potentially be replaced with another player and money could be used in the rebuild.

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
he’s not managed 30 or more league games for over 3 years now. Age catching up with him or just unfortunate?
You seemingly cannot manage to post anything regarding Chelsea without taking a dig at the club no matter what is being discussed.
Age catching up with you and make you extra cranky or just a coincidence?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
£34mill seems quite reasonable for this guy. Weren't they looking for £80mill just two seasons ago?

Always thought he looked a bit slow for the PL, hopefully I am correct in that assessment. Still, at just 31, for £34mill, he'll surely do quite well in a back 3 at Chelsea. One of those I will be happy to see in the prem for a few years all the same, shame it's with Chelsea.

Okey

Class CB. Will provide the kind of nous Silva has been offering even at nearly 40. Very good signing for them and should make the other CBs even better.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This might finally - after what feels like about 10 years - see United no longer linked to this guy. Will be interested to see if we've missed out or had a lucky escape. Sounds like he was never interested in coming to us

TheReligion

Abusive
You seemingly cannot manage to post anything regarding Chelsea without taking a dig at the club no matter what is being discussed.
Age catching up with you and make you extra cranky or just a coincidence?
It would seem a complete coincidence.

This isn’t The Shed End though. Sorry to disappoint.

Big Andy

Bloke
10 million euros net, that's around 330K pounds per week. Huge wages and reports that it's a 5 year deal.

Looks like 300K is new normal wages now.
Just goes to show money talks. I'd read that he loves Napoli, and they were offering him a new deal with a commitment to him being on the board when he retires, basically a job for life.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not such a good deal if it’s 5 years..

Thought it was 3? And at 180k per week?

If you’re correct that’s a huge contract for a player who is already 31. @TheMagicFoolBus
He is already on more than 180K per week. He earns 6 million euros after tax at Napoli.

Not sure on the contract length, I remember reading tweet from Italian journalist.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just goes to show money talks. I'd read that he loves Napoli, and they were offering him a new deal with a commitment to him being on the board when he retires, basically a job for life.
From what @roonster09 has said it looks like Chelsea made him an offer he can’t refuse. 5 years at 330k per week.

No wonder he’s opted to move.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Both the salary and length of contract offered are all over the place. Romano is reporting on the high end whilst other Italian sources are saying €8m per year on a 3+1 year option contract.

Hard to imagine we’d offer a 31 year old a full 5 year deal.

roonster09

Scout
Both the salary and length of contract offered are all over the place. Romano is reporting on the high end whilst other Italian sources are saying €8m per year on a 3+1 year option contract.

Hard to imagine we’d offer a 31 year old a full 5 year deal.
Di Marzio said what Romano said, good chance Romano just copied Di Marzio.

Pedulla also said it's 8 million + 1 million wages.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea

Oh, it could very well be correct but I’d wait until it’s done and journalists on the English side confirm the details.

The salary I can absolutely believe. The length is what I’m pretty skeptical about, though perhaps Tuchel and the club believe he will age beautifully like Thiago Silva and aren’t worried about him falling off a cliff ability wise? A 5 year deal is certainly risky. But for just £33m I won’t complain for now.

roonster09

Scout
Oh, it could very well be correct but I’d wait until it’s done and journalists on the English side confirm the details.

The salary I can absolutely believe. The length is what I’m pretty skeptical about, though perhaps Tuchel and the club believe he will age beautifully like Thiago Silva and aren’t worried about him falling off a cliff ability wise? A 5 year deal is certainly risky. But for just £33m I won’t complain for now.
English journalist just do PR work for clubs, nothing more.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
English journalist just do PR work for clubs, nothing more.
They weren’t shy about reporting Sterling becoming the clubs highest earner and one of the highest earners in the league. So if KK is indeed on 330k a week they won‘t lie.

roonster09

Scout
They weren’t shy about reporting Sterling becoming the clubs highest earner and one of the highest earners in the league. So if KK is indeed on 330k a week they won‘t lie.
They reported "just over 300k", "Small uplift from his 300K existing wages" in the articles, and then added a small point in his tweet that he will be top 3 earner in the league. So he might be earning 400k, 380k it doesn't matter. People will see 300K, they won't see what was added before or after that number.

Matt Law also reported 250K for Lukaku when Chelsea signed him, now he changed it to 325K when he was loaned out. He was already close to that wages at Manutd, earned more at Inter but somehow he was earning less at Chelsea than at Inter.

Won't be surprised if these net wages are converted into gross wages and UK journalists comes up with "He earns 180K per week" reports.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not such a good deal if it’s 5 years..

Thought it was 3? And at 180k per week?

If you’re correct that’s a huge contract for a player who is already 31. @TheMagicFoolBus
180k per week is net - believe that's about 300k per week gross.

As others have said the deal was initially reported as 3 years - suppose we'll just have to wait for confirmation. 5 years is potentially burdensome to be sure - but to be fair as well Koulibaly has shown minimal signs of dropping off to date (and has to my knowledge never really had any catastrophic injuries that might have an outsized impact on aging).

Yagami

Good post resistant
I can’t say he’s ever really impressed me. After Lobotka moved to Napoli, I watched them more often and he’s so clumsy.

TheReligion

Abusive
180k per week is net - believe that's about 300k per week gross.

As others have said the deal was initially reported as 3 years - suppose we'll just have to wait for confirmation. 5 years is potentially burdensome to be sure - but to be fair as well Koulibaly has shown minimal signs of dropping off to date (and has to my knowledge never really had any catastrophic injuries that might have an outsized impact on aging).
Ahh okay. It sounds like he is on the big money then. 5 years would be quite a risk especially given his games played has steadily declined.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
From what @roonster09 has said it looks like Chelsea made him an offer he can’t refuse. 5 years at 330k per week.

No wonder he’s opted to move.
We didn't give a thought about how much we paid mate. We needed defenders. And koulibally is as good as we get. Many teams paid lot more than that. We are happy koulibally tuchel s one of targets for center backs most likely start for us coming season.

Many questioned about transition from Roman to boehly consortium and spending power. Boehly not that bad in that regard by the look of it.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea

Pedulla also said it's 8 million + 1 million wages.
Pedulla also said it'd be either a straight four year deal or three years with an option to extend one more season. So far Romano and Di Marzio are the only ones saying five years. Also a significant gap in the reported wages between those sources.

Makes a huge difference whether the base contract before any bonuses is 8M€ net for three years or 10M€ net for five years.

Contract length will definitely be disclosed in the club announcement so when that happens we'll probably know which report seems more reliable for the salary as well.

roonster09

Scout
Pedulla also said it'd be either a straight four year deal or three years with an option to extend one more season. So far Romano and Di Marzio are the only ones saying five years. Also a significant gap in the reported wages between those sources.

Makes a huge difference whether the base contract before any bonuses is 8M€ net for three years or 10M€ net for five years.

Contract length will definitely be disclosed in the club announcement so when that happens we'll probably know which report seems more reliable for the salary as well.
Pedulla said 8+1 million, so difference is 30K between what Di Marzio reported and what Pedulla reported.

You can say 1 million is bonus, I agree with that but looks like UK journalists love to include all possible bonuses when reporting wages except Liverpool journalists.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Pedulla said 8+1 million, so difference is 30K between what Di Marzio reported and what Pedulla reported.

You can say 1 million is bonus, I agree with that but looks like UK journalists love to include all possible bonuses when reporting wages except Liverpool journalists.
Pedulla said 8M + 1M bonus and Di Marzio / Romano said 10M + unspecified bonus so both figures include some sort of bonuses on top of the base salary. Also the Italians are supposedly talking about net wages so before taxes the difference is even slightly bigger.

But whether the salary is 8M-10M doesn't really matter all that much, what I care most about is the contract length. 5 years for a 31yo sounds like quite a risk, 3 years not so much.

roonster09

Scout
Pedulla said 8M + 1M bonus and Di Marzio / Romano said 10M + unspecified bonus so both figures include some sort of bonuses on top of the base salary. Also the Italians are supposedly talking about net wages so before taxes the difference is even slightly bigger.

But whether the salary is 8M-10M doesn't really matter all that much, what I care most about is the contract length. 5 years for a 31yo sounds like quite a risk, 3 years not so much.
Di Marzio mentioned bonus, Romano didn't. Yes, it's net wages. 30k difference is gross. Anyways looks like it will be 300k+.

Status
Not open for further replies.