Kalvin Phillips

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
A midfield of McGinn, Philips,McT :drool:

We will be the only club paying 100m for that midfield.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sack the whole transfer committee... enough with the overpriced English players. We are acting like England are the best national team in world football.
We're acting like England are the best national team in the world, buy buying one player who plays for England, buying a young right back who is very good (and hasn't featured for the national team), and being linked to another player who doesn't play for the national team. Hmm.

Guiseppe Rossi

Watched him for a couple of seasons now and I like him, he's a good player who covers every blade of grass and great as a destroyer but from what ive seen he's prone to brainfarts which would see him crucified on here
I know it was pre season to but he was terrible against us to. Whose to say he wouldn't become a better player though playing with better players

Mainoldo

We're acting like England are the best national team in the world, buy buying one player who plays for England, buying a young right back who is very good (and hasn't featured for the national team), and being linked to another player who doesn't play for the national team. Hmm.
I'm sure he's the best midfielder we could get. ;)

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm sure he's the best midfielder we could get. ;)
I honestly don't think he'd be good enough for us, but to say "We are acting like England are the best national team in world football." just made you look like a buffoon.

Mainoldo

I honestly don't think he'd be good enough for us, but to say "We are acting like England are the best national team in world football." just made you look like a buffoon.
Why because every player we are linked to are foreign??

Devil81

I’d say those circumstances are different though. Leeds could get up this season, United are shit and the squads in disarray. I think the appeal of abandoning your boyhood club for a bitter rival is a bit higher when Sir Alex Ferguson is still at his peak with a selection of world class talent at his disposal.

I’m saying this as he has other options, too. He’ll go to Spurs or someone.
You saying he'd choose Spurs over Manchester United.

Really..

Walters_19_MuFc

I like him. Gets stuck and is good on the ball. You have to be to play in a Bielsa side.

The type of signing we should be making whilst he's relatively cheap. Just look at the impact James has made.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We need to be more ambitious than this though. 2 potential signings from the Championship, no elite club would do that on the hope of winning the top division.
I don't agree with that, these are exactly the players that our scouting network should be looking at, not the household names, or 28/29 year olds that have already had their best years.

Classical Mechanic

I think he's gettable in the winter window at a decent fee. He's shown himself to be one of the best players in The Championship and is the right age to kick on. He's been playing, and is very good at, a high work rate game. He has a mix of defensive and passing abilities so I'm guessing we're are really interested in him as a 6.

AneRu

I don't agree with that, these are exactly the players that our scouting network should be looking at, not the household names, or 28/29 year olds that have already had their best years.
Ditto. As long as the scouts and coaches are confident that he has the necessary attributes to be a top midfielder then great, we should never waste money on another Matic ever again unless it's on the cheap.

littlepeasoup

Sack the whole transfer committee... enough with the overpriced English players. We are acting like England are the best national team in world football.
Personally I think people are foolish for discounting young English talent for the mere fact of their birth. They might be overvalued to some degree, but that's the price of admission for larger teams in this county wanting to buy homegrown talent.

There's been a renaissance in how English players are coached and developed at every level and England are doing a lot of things right when it comes to grassroots development that means the future of homegrown players in our top league is far more rosy that it was a decade ago.

Fosu-Mens

Personally I think people are foolish for discounting young English talent for the mere fact of their birth. They might be overvalued to some degree, but that's the price of admission for larger teams in this county wanting to buy homegrown talent.

There's been a renaissance in how English players are coached and developed at every level and England are doing a lot of things right when it comes to grassroots development that means the future of homegrown players in our top league is far more rosy that it was a decade ago.
Buying English should be done at the right time. Not when they have performed well for almost 2 seasons. That is foolish and expensive and we end up being forced to på £80m for Maguire. Or £50m for AWB. Not feasible.

Mainoldo

Buying English should be done at the right time. Not when they have performed well for almost 2 seasons. That is foolish and expensive and we end up being forced to på £80m for Maguire. Or £50m for AWB. Not feasible.
This. Everything is fine within reason. From the outside in our reasons just seem stupid.

meamth

England youth player certainly is more expensive, but England's recent success at the youth level means that there are lots of talents to be mined.

littlepeasoup

I think you're conflating 'buying English or British' with buying from other Premiere League teams. There is always going to be a premium on buying high-performing players from other PL teams regardless of the nationality of the player.

Buying a player, of any nationality, should be done at whatever time is necessary, but people will complain regardless. They'll complain if we buy an unproven talent like Dan James, shouting he's not good enough when he's been one of our best players this season, and they complain when we spend £50mil on an outstanding defender in a position we desperately needed strengthening, who has also been one of our best players this season.

I just think getting all het-up about players being English is borderline racist, and it really doesn't paint people here in a good light.

Fosu-Mens

I think you're conflating 'buying English or British' with buying from other Premiere League teams. There is always going to be a premium on buying high-performing players from other PL teams regardless of the nationality of the player.

Buying a player, of any nationality, should be done at whatever time is necessary, but people will complain regardless. They'll complain if we buy an unproven talent like Dan James, shouting he's not good enough when he's been one of our best players this season, and they complain when we spend £50mil on an outstanding defender in a position we desperately needed strengthening, who has also been one of our best players this season.

I just think getting all het-up about players being English is borderline racist, and it really doesn't paint people here in a good light.
I'm saying that it is not feasible to rebuild our squad with EPL players. Those we have been linked with are British and costs more than EPL players of similar quality albeit with a different nationality. The cost is not the only factor for this not being feasible, the other element is quality or rather the lack thereof(Longstaff and Rice are not good enough now and doubt they ever will be, and paying +£50m for a backup is rather expensive). Not enough available players with the needed quality as starters for competing among the best.
Those who saw 3 games of Kalvin Phillips last autumn could see that he was good enough for EPL and far better than Matic, Fred(for those who thought he was sh*t) and McTominay as the sitting midfielder. Getting an agreement with Leeds for the January window or in the summer if no promotion would have been smart. Instead our scouting department are 12 months behind when they suddenly have identified him as a target... Useless bunch.

Why is it borderline racist to say that the club has a number of positional needs and it is not possible to fill those needs with players from the EPL under budgetary and quality related constrictions?

littlepeasoup

Why is it borderline racist to say that the club has a number of positional needs and it is not possible to fill those needs with players from the EPL under budgetary and quality related constrictions?
Because that's not what you said originally.

Fosu-Mens

Because that's not what you said originally.
Feasible? Ring a bell? English/British/From EPL clubs, should have been clearer, I can agree to that.
Regardless, it is not feasible to perform our whole rebuild with players from EPL/Championship. <-- Do you agree with this or not?
British is not a race. A better word would be Anglophobia.

littlepeasoup

Feasible? Ring a bell? English/British/From EPL clubs, should have been clearer, I can agree to that.
Regardless, it is not feasible to perform our whole rebuild with players from EPL/Championship. <-- Do you agree with this or not?
British is not a race. A better word would be Anglophobia.
To be honest, I just want us to get the right players in, who are excited and passionate about playing for the club, regardless of their nationality or what league they're playing in. To say anything, or suggest anything different makes you look like a prat.

Those we have been linked with are British and costs more than EPL players of similar quality albeit with a different nationality.
Also, and I'm sorry, but this is absolute nonsense.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I like him. Gets stuck and is good on the ball. You have to be to play in a Bielsa side.

The type of signing we should be making whilst he's relatively cheap. Just look at the impact James has made.
But.. but.. what are our scouts doing!?

Damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Or maybe it’s only cool to scout young foreign players

golden_blunder

Staff
Maybe we’re brexit planning and trying to get the best young British talent before the others pile in after possible rule changes

Fosu-Mens

To be honest, I just want us to get the right players in, who are excited and passionate about playing for the club, regardless of their nationality or what league they're playing in. To say anything, or suggest anything different makes you look like a prat.
Given your insinuendo about people thinking that primarily buying players from EPL or with British nationality is not a feasible(Cost and quality available) solution to our rebuild as "borderline racist," I thought I had to ask.

The right players in regardless of league and nationality are something I support 100%. Hopefully, we are going to aim for players suited to play a more possession based style of football over the next windows given that this is something we sorely lack in our squad.

Crashoutcassius

I'll have to watch some videos later but if he is tenacious and consistent in the champo and available for a reasonable price like 30m then do it. We need hunger and depth in cm. Exactly the type of guy who goes to Everton or spurs and then we say we want him.

mewnew11

I saw a few videos of him and he looks good. Has a great long pass and that reminded me of the days when scholes and carrick would ping the ball forward or to the wingers and get the opposition immediately on the backfoot.

I am excited by the people we are being linked to and I will take these players any day than going for the big names.

Josep Dowling

I’m not suggesting buying ready made talent all the time, though this current squad does need some better experience players. We should be after the very best youngsters in the world. I don’t think we do that well enough.

AneRu

I'll have to watch some videos later but if he is tenacious and consistent in the champo and available for a reasonable price like 30m then do it. We need hunger and depth in cm. Exactly the type of guy who goes to Everton or spurs and then we say we want him.
This but since its Leeds, with our history and their own ambitions I doubt if a deal can be done without drama and in January or even the summer when they are likely promoted. We will have to be really good at tapping up or offer a ridiculous amount of money.

golden_blunder

Staff
You've lost me.
Wasn’t knocking your post. Was being sarcastic about other posters who complain that the scouts are rubbish not finding players before they cost too much. Then on the other hand they complain when that we are actually scouting and targeting young players rather than splashing the cash. Can’t win

lysglimt

Scout
In fairness - they probably aren't too far away from being the best national team in the world

lysglimt

Scout
Watched him for a couple of seasons now and I like him, he's a good player who covers every blade of grass and great as a destroyer but from what ive seen he's prone to brainfarts which would see him crucified on here
I know it was pre season to but he was terrible against us to. Whose to say he wouldn't become a better player though playing with better players
He is a good player - no doubt about that. Yet to see if he can take that final step - but after seeing James, Maddison etc - i wouldn't rule it out

Walters_19_MuFc

Wasn’t knocking your post. Was being sarcastic about other posters who complain that the scouts are rubbish not finding players before they cost too much. Then on the other hand they complain when that we are actually scouting and targeting young players rather than splashing the cash. Can’t win
Haha, I see. That's the caf for you, I guess.