Kalvin Phillips

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
How the feck is it pedantic? You couldnt get more Leeds than him ffs.
Wrong word, should have been sarcastic. Of course I've heard of Alan Smith. I assume you mean Smith? Yes, he was a Leeds man through and through, and he only signed for United when Leeds were relegated, although he was signed in May, so there were probably dealings between the two clubs before the end of the season. He waived his signing on fee, and let Leeds keep that, and I'm sure he only came to United because he was ambitious, Leeds needed the money to rebuild, and he was possibly the one Leeds player who could command a big fee.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
My mate is a Leeds fan, watches them every week. He’s says Phillips is their best player and is surprised no one from the Premier League has taken him.

We need to be more ambitious than this though. 2 potential signings from the Championship, no elite club would do that on the hope of winning the top division.
Our current aim is not to win the EPL, mate. We are rebuilding to become a consistently top4 team. Recruiting great talent from Championship actually sounds better than gambling on unproven players from Austria and even Belgium.

Harry Maguire, Andy Robertson, James Maddison and many others played in the Championship.

This is when we should be buying them, not a transfer later when their price has went through the roof.
100% agree. We just need to have good scouts and have a good win ratio when we give players from Championshop such chances. But as far as we get our bets right - this is great.

Rocknrolla69er

Its a strange mentality, people will champion signing unproven young lads from france, but turn their noses up at one of the best players in the championship, yet would now gladly pay £85m for Maddison.

You only need to watch a few Leeds games to see Phillips is a quality player and would have no problems in the prem

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It would also hamper their promotion chances. I think this is a non starter in January
If that’s the reason then I’d totally agree. It doesn’t make sense in the middle of their promo charge.

He was good by all accounts against Brum

Kag

Abraham, Mount, Maddison, Grealish, Tomori, Robertson, McGinn, Maupay and our very own James. There will be more.

There are numerous players coming straight from the Championship and excelling in the Premier League. It’s one of the most physical and frenetic divisions in Europe.

Gone are the days we should be turning our noses up at (the right) Championship players.

Inigo Montoya

Abraham, Mount, Maddison, Grealish, Tomori, Robertson, McGinn, Maupay and our very own James. There will be more.

There are numerous players coming straight from the Championship and excelling in the Premier League. It’s one of the most physical and frenetic divisions in Europe.

Gone are the days we should be turning our noses up at (the right) Championship players.
More physical than,say, the Austrian League

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

It's also the place we put our players for loan & see where they develop.

I also think the Premier league has gone up in a technical level due to the level of the managers like Pep & Klopp - only a team like Burnley play 90's football anymore and that must resonate down to the championship.

red thru&thru

Unrealistic why? Just because it’s Leeds
Being a Leeds player is an element but we've seen over the years, we've done business with Leeds. Main thing is that they're finally looking like they could get promoted. If they were languishing below their expectations, say 8th in league, with being 10 points off top 6, then I'd say we had a chance.

Cliche Guevara

Being a Leeds player is an element but we've seen over the years, we've done business with Leeds. Main thing is that they're finally looking like they could get promoted. If they were languishing below their expectations, say 8th in league, with being 10 points off top 6, then I'd say we had a chance.
Alternatively it looks like they’re breezing promotion anyway, and presumably they’d reinvest the money on someone for the longer term.

red thru&thru

Alternatively it looks like they’re breezing promotion anyway, and presumably they’d reinvest the money on someone for the longer term.
Maybe but can you imagine the backlash of the fans if they did sell to us and didn't get promoted? Unless a real silly offer is offered to Leeds, He will stay put at Leeds.

Scholsey2004

Signed a contract extension last season I believe. Top player but this probably isn't realistic.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
SIXTEEN YEARS??!!
Jesus Christ. I honestly didn't know Leeds had been out of the top flight that long. Absolutely mental.

I want them back. I'm not a Manc and I lived up that way a long time so I don't have the same venom for Leeds like proper died in the wool Mancs do
I do wonder if even the Manc born and bred section misses them,

Like Liverpool and City I'd rather they were in the same league and we played them twice a year. Even if just to beat them and feel better about it. They're our bitter rivals, we should be playing them more often.

Anyway, back to Phillips. I've seen nothing of him but I wouldn't be surprised to see us put a bid in. Makes sense - young, potential, English (if you wanna believe the Brexit FC shite), making waves in the Championship as he does. It's the type of signing I'd like to see us make more of in all honesty.

Bebestation

Like Liverpool and City I'd rather they were in the same league and we played them twice a year. Even if just to beat them and feel better about it. They're our bitter rivals, we should be playing them more often.

Anyway, back to Phillips. I've seen nothing of him but I wouldn't be surprised to see us put a bid in. Makes sense - young, potential, English (if you wanna believe the Brexit FC shite), making waves in the Championship as he does. It's the type of signing I'd like to see us make more of in all honesty.
Fact is unfortunately for us the best English players came from Manchester United or our Rivals - or played for our rivals - that's why they are our rivals.

I want even Nottingham forest back and fighting in the UCL again.

AkaAkuma

The guys Leeds born, he's going to have loyalty to them to get promoted and stay for a year in the PL. He's not going to sacrifice that to sign for his teams arch rivals.

If they were middling in the championship it'd be a different story.

Baffling that people can't see that.

Bebestation

How much is an enticing offer before it gets too much for a championship player considering he is a rival and a player in a position playing a way we require?

Mark Pawelek

How much is an enticing offer before it gets too much for a championship player considering he is a rival and a player in a position playing a way we require?
I think the most any championship player sold for is about what we paid for James. Leeds are asking for way too much. Compare Phillips to some of the better players in the Matic replacement thread. Phillips is too limited for the asking price. Ole says he prefers to wait for players he wants rather than go for Elastoplast solutions. This will never happen.

Oldyella

Nope. feck them, horrible club that could disappear off the face of the earth for all I care. I can stomach City and Liverpool, and even quite enjoy the rivalry with them, but something about Leeds just seems to rub me the wrong way. Hope they never come back.

Inigo Montoya

Nope. feck them, horrible club that could disappear off the face of the earth for all I care. I can stomach City and Liverpool, and even quite enjoy the rivalry with them, but something about Leeds just seems to rub me the wrong way. Hope they never come back.
I agree in most part with what you say but it is a traditional rivalry. They were loathed in the 60s/70s for their dirty tactics. I remember them kicking lumps out of Best, Law etc and getting away with it.

I’d hate them to come up but it’s ambivalent. I want to beat them, it’s a match we all care about. I’d be more up for them than say Bournemouth.

Having said that, if they get promoted, it will be on merit and we’ll have to accept it and deal with it.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Playing against arsenal tonight.

Itll be interesting to see how he goes against a pretty much full strength arsenal team.

tob

He seems like a really tough player to play against. Pretty good technique as well.
I imagine seeing his name on the team sheet would have effect on the opposing team. Much like I imagine seeing Roy Keane's name had back in the days.
I'd rather sig a player like him than a Declan Rice.

Rocknrolla69er

Phillips just seems to do everything well with no fuss, Ben White on loan from Brighton looks quality too, id definatley be making enquiries for both

Just had a nosey seems Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are monitoring Ben White, looks better than Lindelof

Coops73

Really like the look of him, don’t think he misplaced a single pass and he seems so aware of what’s going on around him.

Have we been credibly linked with him?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'd be dubious about picking up any Bielsa players. He has this team playing really good stuff, above their actual level.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I'd be dubious about picking up any Bielsa players. He has this team playing really good stuff, above their actual level.
Yeah, Herrera was never the Iniesta we saw in that Europa League tie.

dev1l

Really like the look of him, don’t think he misplaced a single pass and he seems so aware of what’s going on around him.

Have we been credibly linked with him?
According to.some "experts" over here he s "shite"..
Yes we were linked to.him. Apparently Phelan went to watch him play a couple of times this season. But I cannot see this transfer happening due to Leeds chances of promotion.

Scholsey2004

Yes we were linked to.him. Apparently Phelan went to watch him play a couple of times this season. But I cannot see this transfer happening due to Leeds chances of promotion.
Bielsa's a massive fan too. I'd love to sign him but it'd take some doing.

Coops73

Cheers,
Yeah you wouldn’t think they’d want to sell with promotion in the offing and I’m sure I read somewhere that the same Qataris that own PSG are looking at buying/investing into Leeds so they may not need to sell anytime soon also, I could be wrong about that though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Really tidy player. Liked what I'd seen before tonight and it was only strengthened on that showing.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Just had a nosey seems Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are monitoring Ben White, looks better than Lindelof
Yes a player who could not break into the Brighton team 4 months ago is better than Lindelöf.

People seem to have short memory at times. Lindelöf has always struggeled in the first half of the season, but been better in the second half of the season. At the moment he is our best CB as Maguire looks tired.

Phillips was solid today, but is he a average player in a good system or is he really class? Would have him over Matic tbf.

Mcking

He's the best English central midfielder and one of the best players in the championship. Looks like the complete defensive midfielder we need.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Yes a player who could not break into the Brighton team 4 months ago is better than Lindelöf.

People seem to have short memory at times. Lindelöf has always struggeled in the first half of the season, but been better in the second half of the season. At the moment he is our best CB as Maguire looks tired.

Phillips was solid today, but is he a average player in a good system or is he really class? Would have him over Matic tbf.
Disagree with that Lindelof was better in the first half of last season. Started giving some weak performances again after Ole got appointed full time