Kalvin Phillips

arthurka

If there is one player I would go all out to sign it's him.. He is a cracking player and a really tough guy to play against.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Reminds me of Morgan schnederland. System player

enurs

He is a good player and perfect as rotation player that can fight for a starter role. I hope we sign him

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I'm sure I've read that he has a buyout clause of around £25 million if Leeds fail to get promotion this season.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
If we're being honest with ourselves, did he ever really play for United though?
I watched the Liverpool Everton game from start and saw him have a shot late second half. That was the first time I noticed. How a player in central midfield keep going missing is beyond me

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Don't think schneiderlin passed the ball once like him.

If Klopp is turning Henderson, Widjnaldum, Milner, Chamberlain in to world class, invincible players all through a system then not buying a player due to being a system player would be wrong. Just have to see if we can blend him in to our current system or a future one which is a different story & usually nothing to do with the player & rather the manager - especially when your energetic, passing the ball around & genuinely looking like the only English DLP to have emerged this generation.

If he is good enough to our scouts eyes, if would be criminal not to buy him even if it smacks us in the face.

It's the type of transfer I'm okay for us to spend overboard if we have to even if we come out with him being a flop. It's the type of transfer that Barcelona do when they see the next Spanish xavi or Iniesta - they don't really want him going the Madrids or other clubs & even if he doesn't - it's best to get the player early after their break through season and blood them in to your style of play.

The longer he stays at Leeds (2+3 more seasons & the same with players like Grealish) the more we wait, the more the chance his career can take a downfall rather than United good ability to work it forward etc.

sherrinford

Don't think schneiderlin passed the ball once like him.

If Klopp is turning Henderson, Widjnaldum, Milner, Chamberlain in to world class, invincible players all through a system then not buying a player due to being a system player would be wrong. Just have to see if we can blend him in to our current system or a future one which is a different story & usually nothing to do with the player & rather the manager - especially when your energetic, passing the ball around & genuinely looking like the only English DLP to have emerged this generation.

If he is good enough to our scouts eyes, if would be criminal not to buy him even if it smacks us in the face.

It's the type of transfer I'm okay for us to spend overboard if we have to even if we come out with him being a flop. It's the type of transfer that Barcelona do when they see the next Spanish xavi or Iniesta - they don't really want him going the Madrids or other clubs & even if he doesn't - it's best to get the player early after their break through season and blood them in to your style of play.

The longer he stays at Leeds (2+3 more seasons & the same with players like Grealish) the more we wait, the more the chance his career can take a downfall rather than United good ability to work it forward etc.
I find it a bit strange that you would describe him as a ‘DLP’. He has very sharp footwork and good, crisp touches and passes so he is certainly very assured and dependable taking the ball and moving it on - in comparison to Fred, for example. Taking set pieces shows his technical level too. His choice of pass has been a bit disappointing for me though, purely because he has been talked up as a ‘passer’. I’ve found him relatively negative on the ball, generally either unable to find or unwilling to play a progressive pass - again in comparison to Fred, for example (never mind someone who would truly be described as a ‘playmaker’).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I find it a bit strange that you would describe him as a ‘DLP’. He has very sharp footwork and good, crisp touches and passes so he is certainly very assured and dependable taking the ball and moving it on - in comparison to Fred, for example. Taking set pieces shows his technical level too. His choice of pass has been a bit disappointing for me though, purely because he has been talked up as a ‘passer’. I’ve found him relatively negative on the ball, generally either unable to find or unwilling to play a progressive pass - again in comparison to Fred, for example (never mind someone who would truly be described as a ‘playmaker’).
Well I find it hard to describe him because he can play as deep as a CB at times and still pick out a pass & remains energetic to play as a CM.

He does what declan rice was/is supposed to do - where to me he can have ability to potentially play 3 position in transition at once but the problem so far with Rice is that is Rice seem better at the defensive work than a midfielders work.

Phillips does more a midfielders work whilst being deep enough to cover a CB, a CDM and CM whilst able to pass the ball around, make intercepting tackles and get in to positions to cover the defence like players like Dier & Rice are supposed to.

Alot of people may not agree with it - but its just something I'm keeping an eye on - I find alot of modern day & up and coming CDM's have this new ability to cover CB positions - almost as a false CB & I whilst Philips doesn't have to do it - that's why I discussed him as a DLP because I reckon in the future he has the ability to be more useful from there than say further forward.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's the best English central midfielder and one of the best players in the championship. Looks like the complete defensive midfielder we need.
Struggling to think of other good English CMs. His competition would be Winks, Diet etc? Btw does this chap start for England?

Tarrou

You must've realised about half way through that spelling was going awfully awry, but you just persevered with it and at least 50% of posters are aware of who you actually meant. Credit where credits due.

Mcking

Struggling to think of other good English CMs. His competition would be Winks, Diet etc? Btw does this chap start for England?
He plays in the championship, so don't think he's even in consideration. He should be first choice though, next to Henderson.

Classical Mechanic

I'm sure I've read that he has a buyout clause of around £25 million if Leeds fail to get promotion this season.
They look pretty nailed on for promotion I'd say, although their recent form has been more patchy and they may face burn out in the second half of the season they are 9 points ahead of the playoff places.

Some stats from last night

9 tackles
4 key passes (think most were from set pieces)

A good display from him against Premier League opposition.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I always like the look of him whenever I see Leeds. The system player tag is interesting if a little foreboding, as I'm pretty sure Bielsa is implementing a more coherent system than we are at the moment :nervous:

sherrinford

Well I find it hard to describe him because he can play as deep as a CB at times and still pick out a pass & remains energetic to play as a CM.

He does what declan rice was/is supposed to do - where to me he can have ability to potentially play 3 position in transition at once but the problem so far with Rice is that is Rice seem better at the defensive work than a midfielders work.

Phillips does more a midfielders work whilst being deep enough to cover a CB, a CDM and CM whilst able to pass the ball around, make intercepting tackles and get in to positions to cover the defence like players like Dier & Rice are supposed to.

Alot of people may not agree with it - but its just something I'm keeping an eye on - I find alot of modern day & up and coming CDM's have this new ability to cover CB positions - almost as a false CB & I whilst Philips doesn't have to do it - that's why I discussed him as a DLP because I reckon in the future he has the ability to be more useful from there than say further forward.
I don’t see it. There’s nothing new about Phillips’ game, positionally. He maintains depth (balance) when Leeds are attacking - as is standard for a holding player - and is always there or there about when other teams attack - as any midfielder with his nose for danger along with the determination and athleticism to snuff it out would be.

Surely when describing someone as a ‘deep-lying playmaker’, you refer to their proficiency in possession? Phillips is closer to Rice than to players like Ndidi, Fernandinho or Kante (who have similar steel and graft) in his contributions on the ball - they provide considerably more and yet I would still stop short of calling them ‘playmakers’.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Never watched him before last night, and I imagined him to be a different style of player so took a while to notice what he was actually doing as I kept expecting him to be pushing higher up.

Once I got past that though he seemed to be great at being that link man and keeping the play ticking over.

The hyperbole in calling him England's best CM is way over the top though for me, when Henderson is currently strolling to the title as captain. He is certainly a prospect though, but I can't see Leeds selling if they get promoted which looks nailed on.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Sounds like a good squad addition. Be nice to get some players that will take us to the next level though.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We'd make him look average with our current coaching setup I'd expect, but in a world class setup? There's clear potential there.
Why make statements like these? McTominay who has similar attributes has looked fantastic in the current set up, Fred a lost cause up until this season has become indispensable.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Never watched him before last night, and I imagined him to be a different style of player so took a while to notice what he was actually doing as I kept expecting him to be pushing higher up.

Once I got past that though he seemed to be great at being that link man and keeping the play ticking over.

The hyperbole in calling him England's best CM is way over the top though for me, when Henderson is currently strolling to the title as captain. He is certainly a prospect though, but I can't see Leeds selling if they get promoted which looks nailed on.
We'll see about that, they've been sitting pretty in the automatic places for the past few seasons around this time of year and always manage to make a bollocks of it :lol:. I'll say this, I don't think they'll ever win the playoffs as they can't handle the pain of dropping out of auto promotion. If they come up they'll do so finishing first or second I reckon.

I speak as the son of a Leeds fan and as my father is a really lovely fella who's never given me shit (the Beckford FA Cup tie he came close, but generally he doesn't mind United and dislikes Liverpool more) I'm probably the most pro-Leeds Manchester United fan in the world :cool:.

Tarrou

just sign the cnut, basically any midfielder is looking like peak Xavi at this point

Nick7

I know nothing about him in real life but he helped my Bournemouth team to 5th place in FM.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
We'll see about that, they've been sitting pretty in the automatic places for the past few seasons around this time of year and always manage to make a bollocks of it :lol:. I'll say this, I don't think they'll ever win the playoffs as they can't handle the pain of dropping out of auto promotion. If they come up they'll do so finishing first or second I reckon.

I speak as the son of a Leeds fan and as my father is a really lovely fella who's never given me shit (the Beckford FA Cup tie he came close, but generally he doesn't mind United and dislikes Liverpool more) I'm probably the most pro-Leeds Manchester United fan in the world :cool:.
They're so far clear at the moment it'd take an almighty balls up for them to drop down to the play offs, but as you say of there is one team capable it's them :lol:

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Good first half against Arsenal but Guendouzi made him look a little silly at times in the second half

youngrell

Haven't seen a great deal of him, but from what I've seen my biggest worry is his pace/acceleration. Seems to be really slow off the mark and could be found out at PL level.

Other than that, tackling, passing range and body strength seem very impressive.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I always like the look of him whenever I see Leeds. The system player tag is interesting if a little foreboding, as I'm pretty sure Bielsa is implementing a more coherent system than we are at the moment :nervous:
Not a description that I've ever heard before, but why would being a system player be a bad thing? Surely its a positive right? The opposite of that being a player that cannot adapt to a specific system. Or am I misunderstanding the term?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why make statements like these? McTominay who has similar attributes has looked fantastic in the current set up, Fred a lost cause up until this season has become indispensable.
Lazy statements like that make so many threads on here almost unreadable

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah he looks quality. Very good 30-40 yard passes - and a real tough tackler.

theklr

Not a description that I've ever heard before, but why would being a system player be a bad thing? Surely its a positive right? The opposite of that being a player that cannot adapt to a specific system. Or am I misunderstanding the term?
Somewhat, it means a player that shines and performs well in one specific system/set-up but can fail miserably in another because it doesnt suit him.
And sometimes it is hard to say what is the real reason the player performs, if it is the system or the player himself.

You can maybe draw comparison to Rashford when playing as a striker instead of LW.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I was just following on from this:

and making a hack reference to Ole's lack of system. The truth of it is there is such a thing as a player looking great under a good manager in a good system, such as the likes of Henderson and Wijnaldum, and less good in worse circumstances. It's an entirely logical point and as you say I don't see why being a so-called system player is a bad thing at all, and we're crying out for players who can follow instructions and help a team become better than the sum of its parts.

Somewhat, it means a player that shines and performs well in one specific system/set-up but can fail miserably in another because it doesnt suit him.
And sometimes it is hard to say what is the real reason the player performs, if it is the system or the player himself.

You can maybe draw comparison to Rashford when playing as a striker instead of LW.
Fair enough, but you reach the point where it's worth asking who isn't a system player outside of maybe Messi. If the team isn't set up to use your skill set and/or you're out of position of course you're going to look worse for it.

Raven

I agree, certain coaches have systems that make players better than their skill should allow, Klopp is the master of this. His teams have had players like Mkhitaryan, Henderson and Kagawa to name a few as key players in title and cup winning teams. Bielsa is absolutely that type of coach as well, from what I remember of that Bilbao team and his current Leeds team, I would add though that Phillips does seem very highly thought of and he does look the part as well. There are certainly worse players to be linked with.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think we need to get a functioning system before we start buying players to fit into it

I'm pretty sure that if our midfield was comprised of Henderson, Milner, Keita and Wijnaldum we'd be saying that they were not good enough as they'd look useless in our non-system

Fosu-Mens

I think we need to get a functioning system before we start buying players to fit into it

I'm pretty sure that if our midfield was comprised of Henderson, Milner, Keita and Wijnaldum we'd be saying that they were not good enough as they'd look useless in our non-system
Just benchmark the best teams in the world: Technical players that can pass and handle the ball efficiently in almost all positions, able to press high and at least force long balls occasionally, play possession with intention, fullbacks going high, can attack fast due to technical and smart players and most importantly: Trying to figuring out how to break down a deep sitting defence consistently (City by far the best team at this, but the rest are trying to become less dependent on crossing from out wide).

We do not have one common element with these elements of the game.

Regarding Phillips: It was easy to spot his abilities early last season. Why we did not put out some "feelers" for him just in case they did not get promoted last season, and thus him being more likely to demand a move, I do not know. I'm fairly sure that they will get promoted now and we will not be able to get him.

Get Pochettino in before Dortmund appoint him and Phillips would fit right in.