Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

I'm coming around to the idea of signing this player. We wont get Rice, Tchouameni or Frenkie. Kamara is the only better option and I don't see enough links to him.
Whether there is any truth in Phillips or DeJOng links and any likelyhood of signing either Phillips for £50m or DeJOng for £65m isnt even a discussion in my opinion, serious levels between them

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Look at what in the euros? He was by far the weakest position in the side and whenever we played a good midfield (Italy) we were completely schooled in there.

Phillips has similarly good traits to what our current two central midfielders have. He’s got bags of stamina, loves to press, and is pretty physically capable. That’s basically McFred. In terms of actual passes per game, passing accuracy, and carrying/holding the ball under pressure, he’s pretty darn average and the stats show that.

Abraxas

Look at what in the euros? He was by far the weakest position in the side and whenever we played a good midfield (Italy) we were completely schooled in there.

Phillips has similarly good traits to what our current two central midfielders have. He’s got bags of stamina, loves to press, and is pretty physically capable. That’s basically McFred. In terms of actual passes per game, passing accuracy, and carrying/holding the ball under pressure, he’s pretty darn average and the stats show that.
Exactly. I don't know why people continue to ignore these weaknesses and pretend Fred doesn't exist.There is a serious overlap with the skillsets of these players.

Kamara's profile looks a lot different. De Jong's profile is a lot different. Somebody like Fabian Ruiz is a lot different. I can see all of these adding something we don't have and giving us some calmness. People go on about this ETH style of football as if it doesn't require us to get a grip of the football and we can just run around. It's mandatory that we up our technical quality, the top sides take technically gifted players and get them working their arses off too. You can't add ability to Phillips.

SAFMUTD

Like I said with Rice, there's a reason why no clubs outside england are interested.

Stretfordender786

Tbh I don’t know anymore who we should be buying. As long as ragnick and ETH are making the decisions it will be fine. Had enough of getting overpriced players or just players because of name

ole@thewheel

I think we will go after him, especially since Rice is untouchable due to its price tag.

He is a decent player and he will definitely improve our midfield (that doesn't say much really).

Reminds me a bit of Matic minus the heading ability.

As a bonus we never really got it wrong when we signed Leeds players. Just saying.

SAFMUTD

Rice is too expensive to be fair, no European club is going to spend 100m on a DM currently.

He is better than Phillips, easily.
He is, but my point is that they're but under english tax. We should stay away from those players, overpriced and overrated.

OleGunnar20

Agreed that he'll be overpriced. He's certainly a better fit next to Fred / Bruno than McTom is, but with a bit of scouting I've no doubt we can find better for cheaper out there. This just screams of AWB / Maguire, unimaginative, overpriced nonsense again to me, something I really really hope we can move away from.

Also, does he not hate us being such a died in the wool Leeds lad? That'd be an immediate no from me also, we need players dying to come here for more than the paycheck.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Exactly. I don't know why people continue to ignore these weaknesses and pretend Fred doesn't exist.There is a serious overlap with the skillsets of these players.

Kamara's profile looks a lot different. De Jong's profile is a lot different. Somebody like Fabian Ruiz is a lot different. I can see all of these adding something we don't have and giving us some calmness. People go on about this ETH style of football as if it doesn't require us to get a grip of the football and we can just run around. It's mandatory that we up our technical quality, the top sides take technically gifted players and get them working their arses off too. You can't add ability to Phillips.
Phillips would improve our ability in the midfield as he's a significant and obvious improvement over McTominay. He's also more natural playing the deeper role than Fred is, although yes there are obvious similarities there. A Phillips-Fred combo would definitely be quite an improvement over what we currently play with, both with and without the ball. Phillips-McTominay would also probably be a bit more of a natural fit than Fred-McTominay.

Of course, it's not exactly difficult to improve on McTominay in that position. So the big question is whether we could get somebody else who would be a bigger improvement, or at least a similar improvement for a lesser price than what Phillips would cost? The answer is probably yes, but if ETH himself is focused on Phillip then I wouldn't be too disappointed.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes not good enough on the ball

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Overpriced sure but I like him as a player. Composed, good range of passing, tactically astute. Solid, well-rounded player.

If Rangnick, Hag rate him and view him as a key player in the rebuilding process then fair enough.

But ,again, 50/60 million is steep.

Smores

If we're going to be playing a 433 then i think he'd be an excellent option as the DM. In a two I'm not sure he's good enough on the ball, although he's better than most here seem to think.

Hammondo

I don’t rate Phillips myself but I’m pretty sure Liverpool fans could have said the exact same stuff when they signed the likes of Wijnaldum.
Wijnaldum is a LOT more technically gifted, its like buying Salah, you can clearly see the technical ability and so his weaknesses can be fixed.

We need to be aiming at better players than this. De Jong is a much better player.

Lee565

What an abomination are recruitment department is along with handing out contracts.

Have they seriously not learned from Maguire and bissaka transfers, we have supposedly been scouting him for 3 years so basically another ole target and don't see how this recommendation can be considered when we have a new manager come in and set up above him?

He is not worth 50 million, so many better players can be brought for that price, he is barely an upgrade on mctominay for 50 million and it is very debatable that he is better than fred on current form

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Wijnaldum is a LOT more technically gifted, its like buying Salah, you can clearly see the technical ability and so his weaknesses can be fixed.

We need to be aiming at better players than this. De Jong is a much better player.
Right. Except people on this forum would be criticising the club if we’d signed wijnaldum from relegated Newcastle when Liverpool did. You’re saying he’s much more technically gifted now when he’s won a PL and a CL - were you then? Ditto Mane who many turned their noses up at when we wanted him under LVG.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems the fanbase have forgotton how transfers work.

You get a position you want, you make a shortlist.

CDM; Rice, Phillips, Tchoameni, De Jong, Kamara.

You talk to their agents, sound them out. If they're interested you try to figure out a fee.

The top 2 targets might not be available, so then you work down the list. Phillips is 10x better than any CDM we currently have.

Hammondo

Right. Except people on this forum would be criticising the club if we’d signed wijnaldum from relegated Newcastle when Liverpool did. You’re saying he’s much more technically gifted now when he’s won a PL and a CL - were you then? Ditto Mane who many turned their noses up at when we wanted him under LVG.
Yes he was clearly more technically gifted back then than Philips is now, clear as day.

I don't think we have the coaching staff to improve players much.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm not sure exactly what mold of a DM ETH wants but if Phillips fits stylistically then I'd be fine with the transfer.

He's good enough in specific ways to be generally good enough if he fits the system.

Obviously EPL players are generally overpriced and I'd prefer finding someone from outside the league for cheaper but..... *shrugs*. At least we're not overspending in the Harry Maguire price range I guess. Much rather Phillips for 50m than Rice for 100m given the context of our team.

Nick.

The fact that Leed's results are so much better with him on the pitch makes me think he has something about him.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
United is such a huge club but it risks going the way of Arsenal if they don't get their act together in the transfer market. Kalvin Philips would only marginally improve the midfield. United needs to be looking at a higher caliber of player.

Kaos

Like I said with Rice, there's a reason why no clubs outside england are interested.
I mean I don't rate him highly but honestly how many English players are being linked to clubs outside of England? Sancho, Grealish and Kane weren't really linked to anyone but us or City last summer, Bellingham only seems to be linked to Liverpool at the moment. Its not really a benchmark to assess a player's worth and promise.

SAFMUTD

I mean I don't rate him highly but honestly how many English players are being linked to clubs outside of England? Sancho, Grealish and Kane weren't really linked to anyone but us or City last summer, Bellingham only seems to be linked to Liverpool at the moment. Its not really a benchmark to assess a player's worth and promise.
There's a reason for it, it's because the English tax. Everyone knows that buying an English player means having to pay more for a player of the same quality. Clubs outside England don't give a feck if the player is English or not so they're not willing to pay that extra.

I mean Grealish for 100M? You'll never see Madrid, Barca or Bayern paying that much for a player like him. They stay away from it and we should do as well.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think he’s a pretty good player and could end up doing very well for us under ETH if we do get him that is.
Reading about people’s doubts around Phillips’ fit and talent (although the injury record is a concern) reminds me of that time when posters here were raising concerns about Van Dijk and Mane at Southampton as potential transfer targets. Not saying that he’ll become world class like them, but imo he can definitely take that step up.
Just like Man and Van Dijk, he plays for Leeds United and is not shiny enough like Bellingham. I would love him in Arsenal to compete with Xhaka for the DMF role if we qualify for CL next season.

Classical Mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.