Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elcabron

We love a good Brexit signing. What is up with our scouting? Can’t sign Rice so lets go Kalvin Phillips. You’re telling me there aren’t better alternatives for cheaper elsewhere? Ridiculous. He’s also a crock, its typical United
Agree. Is he any better than Kamara who is going for nothing and is 4 years younger? Philips was playing in the championship at Kamara's age.

Long Time Red

He would certainly give the back 4 some much needed cover but not enough quality on the ball for me, avoid.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Athletic article is actually sceptical that he'll join us. Him and his family are Leeds through and through. Alan Smith wasn't a Leeds fan growing up according to the article. Phillips would have to burn a lot of bridges to join us.
That's surprising, have the Athletic quoted Alan Smith saying so? He was on the UTD podcast a few years ago, talking about being a Leeds fan as a kid, and about how upset he was when Cantona left.

Charles Miller

I watched Leeds a lot because i'm a fan of Bielsa. They have two or three good players, he is not one of them. They try to play with the highest tempo in the history of the universe, but majority of players dont have the hability to do it and end just embarrassing themselves. This supposed interest is beyond absurd. Maybe there is a brexit quota that any United manager is forced to accept.

Zoo

That's surprising, have the Athletic quoted Alan Smith saying so? He was on the UTD podcast a few years ago, talking about being a Leeds fan as a kid, and about how upset he was when Cantona left.
Says he grew up a Liverpool fan according to school friends of his. First time I’ve heard that too.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
How much has he been injured this season and is the type of injury one that can be foreseen to be reoccuring?
That's a valid concern. But to claim he's 'always' injured, when this is his first major injury is lazy and not true

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I watched Leeds a lot because i'm a fan of Bielsa. They have two or three good players, he is not one of them. They try to play with the highest tempo in the history of the universe, but majority of players dont have the hability to do it and end just embarrassing themselves. This supposed interest is beyond absurd. Maybe there is a brexit quota that any United manager is forced to accept.
Yeah, he was shit for England in the euros.....

Brexit quota :lol:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I've said before but there are videos of this guy referring to Man Utd as "the scum". Not happening.

Dan_F

£50 million for a guy who’s played 1.5 seasons in the premier league at 26 years old, in a very specific system that got the most out of a lot of average players :lol:

So nothing has changed with the recruitment then?

Brophs

The One and Only
I've said before but there are videos of this guy referring to Man Utd as "the scum". Not happening.
Declan Rice was posting “Up the Ra” on Twitter and now he’s as British as overcooked beef.

Billy Jim

I quite like him. Good passer, good energy, not too bad in the tackle. If he had a more exotic name and nationality I think more people would be all over him based on highlight vids alone.

Cons:
- £50m feels steep
- Leeds/United relationship not ideal
- No idea of knowing how a long injury layoff will impact him

Spoony

The People's President

He was a huge Leeds fan, he hated United and all.

Apparently Kalvin ticks all boxes in terms of pressure, tackles and all that jazz but he's not good on the ball.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
£50 million for a guy who’s played 1.5 seasons in the premier league at 26 years old, in a very specific system that got the most out of a lot of average players :lol:

So nothing has changed with the recruitment then?
Give them a chance to change things, nothing is instant.

Love how a lot of posters on this forum were like, "lets trust ETH" and the second they get an 'uninspiring' player (According to the CAF) it's all doom and gloom.

One of the stipulations for lack of a better term of ETH coming in would be a significant say in transfers, if ETH wants Kalvin, then you got to tryst the manager. Surely you think getting Kalvin in, would allude to the way that ETH wants to play no?

Santos J

Classical Mechanic

Well Bielsa made it a condition of him signing a new contract that Phillips not be sold so he obviously disagrees with you.

Classical Mechanic

Says this

There are differences between Smith and Phillips, though. Smith, according to school friends of his, grew up as a Liverpoo fan. Phillips is a life-long Leeds supporter, with countless family members who also follow the club. He lives in the centre of the city and has done since he was young, closely tied to the Wortley area. As one source told The Athletic, if the day arrives where Phillips leaves Elland Road “he would want to come back through the front door rather than the back door”.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's a valid concern. But to claim he's 'always' injured, when this is his first major injury is lazy and not true
Sure its incomplete. However given he has no sustained sample to show hes over the injury there are huge risks that remain.

Hammys are annoying often reoccuring injuries especially in positions that rely on being an engine from flanks or centrally.

Mainoldo

Says this

There are differences between Smith and Phillips, though. Smith, according to school friends of his, grew up as a Liverpoo fan. Phillips is a life-long Leeds supporter, with countless family members who also follow the club. He lives in the centre of the city and has done since he was young, closely tied to the Wortley area. As one source told The Athletic, if the day arrives where Phillips leaves Elland Road “he would want to come back through the front door rather than the back door”.
Literally means F all. Wayne Rooney’s son supports Manchester United. People need to understand tribalism is dying.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
So did Rio and Alex Smith.
I don't think Rio was a purely Leeds kind of guy. Smith came into the club to play for a domineering Man Utd managed by Alex Ferguson, and Leeds had just been relegated.

I can think of a few other clubs Phillips would rather join than us. Not convinced this will happen.

Kaos

I don't think Rio was a purely Leeds kind of guy. Smith came into the club to play for a domineering Man Utd managed by Alex Ferguson, and Leeds had just been relegated.

I can think of a few other clubs Phillips would rather join than us. Not convinced this will happen.
Rio himself said he used to hate United:
https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2008/12/03/994492/rio-ferdinand-i-hated-manchester-united

As for Phillips, not sure what other clubs would be in for him, as far as I recall we're the only club linked. And at 27, this might be his one and only chance to secure a big move and significant pay bump.

Not saying we should go for him, but I seriously doubt he'd stick to his childhood convictions if an offer came his way, just like a couple of his Leeds predecessors that have played for us.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

No one is ever convinced anything good happens at United. Even if it does.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If Figo joined Madrid from Barca, anything is possible.

UpWithRivers

We arnt getting Rice or Tchouaméni. Who else as a DM could we get better than him? Not that I think we could even get him but for 50 mill I cant see a better option.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We arnt getting Rice or Tchouaméni. Who else as a DM could we get better than him? Not that I think we could even get him but for 50 mill I cant see a better option.
We aren't? Oh that's news to me!

Can I see the confirmed transfer press release. Would love to know what team they've gone to! What a coup for that team!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The truth is we need really solid experienced players around the players who will truly move the needle for us, ie the attackers and maybe a crossing full back. Get Antony Darwin and Phillips in and we are almost a totally different team. So much more craft work rate and aggression from them will let us tighten up and really squeeze teams from the front. It should in turn shore up the midfield and defence. It shouldn’t take a fortune to improve us markedly

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Are you telling me we can't find a better midfielder that would fit Ten Hag's system than Kalvin Phillips?

Status
Not open for further replies.