Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The price is a pretty good for a current English international with english tax.

joedirt87

Not sure that’s a great move for him personally - will be difficult to be in the England first team if only a back up player and can’t see him displacing Rodri. Of course will be great for his bank balance …
i don't see southgate changing the formula this close to to the WC, so unless bellingham has an incredible start to the season or phillips gets hurt I expect to see the same safe boring midfield pairing of Rice and Phillips starting.

Fooza

To be fair City did need to get signings in to improve them further so they can catch us in the league, oh wait...

Zoo

Up to £50m according to Sky. He has 2 years left on his contract.

RyRoc

Have to say thought he’d be a little more expensive . England international (regular) , selling to a top 6 club , 2 years of premier league experience and in mid 20s. That’s a good price for city.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Would he be happy? Place in the England team, WC coming up…
There is lot of difference to play in mid table team and being back up and fighting for his spot in man.City team. Players confident enough in their ability will goto better team. Nothing new here.

Of course money is a big factor but I appreciate his attitude to go to a big team to fight for his place. He already not sure about his place in England team and want to prove it in big club to earn his place is better attitude in my opinion.

NewYorkRed

He’s better than Rice but still really average so not overly concerned with this tbh.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He will be like Ake. Maybe even less game time than Ake as he can only play in one position. He is miles behind Rodri in terms of ability. Still City can afford to pay 50m for fringe players so I doubt they will care.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
There is lot of difference to play in mid table team and being back up and fighting for his spot in man.City team. Players confident enough in their ability will goto better team. Nothing new here.

Of course money is a big factor but I appreciate his attitude to go to a big team to fight for his place. He already not sure about his place in England team and want to prove it in big club to earn his place is better attitude in my opinion.
He will never know his ceiling unless he challenges it at the highest level. It also took Mahrez a season to adapt/get into the city first team. There is also a chance he can be the next drinkwater as well.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Kalvin signing his new deal

Hoof the ball

Stuff like this just rustles my jimmies. We're behind other teams and in desperately in need of more recruitment than them, and lo and behold, it's them consolidating and strengthening their positions with multiple signings and we're stuck at the sum total of zero. Might change in a few days, but my goodness, the clouds are dark as shit.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Kalvin Philips has been playing under Bielsa's 433 for 3 years so it shouldn't be too hard for him to adapt to Pep's 433 as a #6.

Rolaholic

In a market where Kalvin Phillips costs 50m, 80-85m for FDJ is apt...

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Have to say thought he’d be a little more expensive . England international (regular) , selling to a top 6 club , 2 years of premier league experience and in mid 20s. That’s a good price for city.
Could you imagine United being able to have struck a deal for £45M....?!?!
Not on your Nellie, we'd have been looking at £70M.

Castia

How do City do it? everybody knows they have billions in the bank but they always get a decent deal. 42m for Philips is a steal.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
So how exactly do Phillips and Rodri fit in the same team? Doesn’t seem very Pep like to have 2 DM’s.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
City have it so easy don’t they. We have so many rivals who would never sell us a player and yet nobody gives a feck about City. Nobody even tries to squeeze more money out of them.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So how exactly do Phillips and Rodri fit in the same team? Doesn’t seem very Pep like to have 2 DM’s.
KP will need to challenge Rodri for a starting place. Pep plays with 2 #8 and it is highly unlikely it will change for KP.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will sit on the bench a lot. 50m for nothing more than a depth guy with the bonus of being English for their minimum player count. They did need midfielders though. Never been a huge fan of him as a player anyway.

Saying that, them already securing a midfielder and haaland after winning the title while we've done feck all right before pre season starts says it all about the 2 clubs

mu4c_20le

How do City do it? everybody knows they have billions in the bank but they always get a decent deal. 42m for Philips is a steal.
Steal is a bit much, his price was always quoted around 50m last season.

Zoo

With two years left on his contract it isn’t really.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The take away is how City conducted their transfer business. Efficient, no drag on, and get it done before team training starts.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Man Utd don't have a single defensive midfielder. Man City now have two international defensive midfielders.

Says it all.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Man Utd don't have a single defensive midfielder. Man City now have two international defensive midfielders.

Says it all.
McTominay has been bulking up on summer holiday

Becks00

How much do you want them to pay 80-100m? 50m for Philips is already over paying for me. I mean if it was United signing him at that price you wouldn't be happy now, would you?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Don’t see it…

Miles behInd Rodri for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.