Kanchelskis or Beckham?.....

Amir

Wasn't watching during Kanchelskis time. When was his peak? Statistically it looks like it was his final season with us, but why then did we send him on his way to Everton?
Wasn't football related. He wanted out, apparently due to money issues. I think there was some talk of the russian mafia. According to Fergie, his agent threatened Edwards so he'd be allowed to go. They also didn't like Kanchelskis's behaviour, so they let him go.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Every now and then, I think about my AT XI and the wide players are tough.. Giggs/Ronaldo Kanchelskis/Beckham common options.

Beckham probably had the best right foot I've seen for variety and accuracy (as well as a weapon for free kicks) but somehow I always edge towards Kanchelskis.

Great right foot, excellent volley technique, two footed (scored lots of left footed goals) but overriding everything was the pace, even with the ball. One of my old recorder boxes had a 1.2x fast forward option... that's what it looked like watching Kanchelskis at full speed.

red4ever 79

Wasn't football related. He wanted out, apparently due to money issues. I think there was some talk of the russian mafia. According to Fergie, his agent threatened Edwards so he'd be allowed to go. They also didn't like Kanchelskis's behaviour, so they let him go.
Defintely wasnt football related. If my memory recalls I remember suitcase, cash and Russian mafia

On a side note - would be Kanchelskis every time for me. My absolute favourite team ever that 94 side

Not just purely Kanchelskis (though he scores, about a minute in with a lightning break) but still one of my favourite games.

Norwich were a top side then and we tore them apart. I think the early 90s team was the fastest side I've seen.

The first goal was like a cavlary charge and the second (Kanchelskis') shows his speed and finishing.

red4ever 79

Not just purely Kanchelskis (though he scores, about a minute in with a lightning break) but still one of my favourite games.

Norwich were a top side then and we tore them apart. I think the early 90s team was the fastest side I've seen.

The first goal was like a cavlary charge and the second (Kanchelskis') shows his speed and finishing.

Peak Giggs, Kanchelskis bombing down the wings with Sharpe as a backup. Life wasnt bad back then.

Robbo*

Not really sure what kind of player Beckham would be if he was a modern day player. Kanchelskis, on the other hand, would be so fecking dangerous as a wide forward.
becks could play behind him at right wing back these days

Peak Giggs, Kanchelskis bombing down the wings with Sharpe as a backup. Life wasnt bad back then.
Younger Ince and Eric were pretty nippy too?

I totally understand that the early 90s team could never be compared to 99 and 08 but in terms of excitement, the early 90s team were right up there with the 99 team? And like all top teams (United and otherwise), they could stand up for themselves when it came down to a fight. Pally, Bruce, Ince, Hughes, Eric even Schmeicel

red4ever 79

I totally understand that the early 90s team could never be compared to 99 and 08 but in terms of excitement, the early 90s team were right up there with the 99 team? And like all top teams (United and otherwise), they could stand up for themselves when it came down to a fight. Pally, Bruce, Ince, Hughes, Eric even Schmeicel
The double winning team of 94 is my favorite club side ever. Maybe it our age giving us away haha. It had everything, power, pace, youth, agression. Mark Hughes was servely underrated also. But man, Eric was the king. Our most influential player of all time. No question about that. We won the league 5 out of 6 seasons he was available. The one we didnt was the one he was suspended.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Dunno if you wanted pure pace its Kanchelskis. But Beckham simply had the best right foot of all time.

slipperyshoe

Honestly cannot believe anyone wrote this. Good as Andre was it’s utter tripe to compare him to Beckham.

Kanchelskis had pace, strength and a hard but massively erratic shot. He also had some mental advice/advisors later in his career. Beckham had everything, other than pace. Passing, shooting, positioning and one of the best engines I’ve ever seen. I remember being astounded by his work rate as a kid. Genuinely one of the first footballers to change the game, regarding fitness and work ethic (partly Cantona’s crèche, granted!).

Forget the fancy freekicks, Beckham was so underrated in his game play and work rate. He even managed to get Gary running past him. Sound crazy, but in those days fullbacks generally didn’t go past the midfielder in front of them time after time.

I regard Beckham as an elite player, truly world class.Andre was just a machine with a weapon of a right foot (though almost as erratic as Paul Ince’s!).

crazy thread.

GueRed

Paul Ince was world class 1992-1995ish. Eric Cantona back in 1994 even went as far as saying he was the best centre midfielder in Europe...

Inbetween Robson and Keane there was Ince ;)

Eric on that 1994 team:

Josh 76

Honestly cannot believe anyone wrote this. Good as Andre was it’s utter tripe to compare him to Beckham.

Kanchelskis had pace, strength and a hard but massively erratic shot. He also had some mental advice/advisors later in his career. Beckham had everything, other than pace. Passing, shooting, positioning and one of the best engines I’ve ever seen. I remember being astounded by his work rate as a kid. Genuinely one of the first footballers to change the game, regarding fitness and work ethic (partly Cantona’s crèche, granted!).

Forget the fancy freekicks, Beckham was so underrated in his game play and work rate. He even managed to get Gary running past him. Sound crazy, but in those days fullbacks generally didn’t go past the midfielder in front of them time after time.

I regard Beckham as an elite player, truly world class.Andre was just a machine with a weapon of a right foot (though almost as erratic as Paul Ince’s!).

crazy thread.
Not as crazy as you think. Wasn’t Beckham dropped in a few games in the 2002-03 title run in. Fergie went for the pace of Ole over Beckhams crossing. Teams started to Suss Utd out and Fergie changed things around. People forget how good Andre was after he left Utd. He had a great few seasons at Everton. Big shame the off the field incidents meant he had to leave Utd.

1991-1997 Andre was good as anyone in Europe.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Beckham all day, that right foot was just something else, all round play was much much better than Kanchelskis who I also rate but Becks is Becks, him and Ruud, fecking hell

clonsolar

Not even close. Beckham by far overall. Kanchelskis was exciting to watch though in full flight.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Wasn't watching during Kanchelskis time. When was his peak? Statistically it looks like it was his final season with us, but why then did we send him on his way to Everton?
I’d say his peak with us was roughly the calendar year 1994 - in other words second half of 93/94 (a really great time when the whole team seemed to peak together, despite a wobble when Cantona got suspended near the end for two red cards in a row), and first half of 94/95 when he was our best player.

He started acting up in the second half of that season - allegedly faking injury, dodgy contract demands/negotiations, etc, and not doing it on the pitch. Fergie decided he wasn’t worth the hassle and the rest is history.

Still the sight of him rampaging down the right wing is one of my great memories of that really great United side. As you can see from the posts above, for many of us who watched them it’s our favorite XI.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Beckham in the middle, Kanchelskis on the right,
Sorted.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Lets face it,you haven't won anything since Beckham left.You should have kept him,not forced him out.
I took a good 2 minutes to understand where the attempted trolling was at this post before I noticed the date of the post.

Bestofthebest

My God. Some of the goals in the Kancheskis video made the hairs stand up on my neck. Don’t see many like that nowadays. I wonder if he could have done the same in today’s game.

djembatheking

Kanchelskis or Becks ? What a dilemma, 2 brilliant players . It would have to be Becks for me but either one of them would be the best player in our team if you threw them in the current line up. Its incredibly sad how far we have fallen away.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Kanchelskis is one of my favourite ever United players but I think Beckham was comfortably better.

Would have loved to see Andrei in a modern wing-forward role, I think he could have racked up the goals rather nicely indeed.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

That 94 side might not have scaled the same heights as the 99 team but I thought it was more exciting. And it had a bit of everything. Strength, personality, skill, pace, creativity. Such a great side.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Beckham all day everyday, and twice on Sunday's.

Beckham's 98/99 season is probably the second best season I've seen from an individual players standpoint for us behind Ronaldo's 07/08 season.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Some of you lot are underrating Beckham.

Beckham in his prime (and his prime last for quite some years) is a force of nature, his fitness, work rate, and delivery are virtually unstoppable.

Normal winger have to reach the byline to cross, beck could cross from anywhere it's pointless to even mark him out.

mu3924

Definitely do not remember kanchelskis being good in the air.
Scored 3 for Utd if I can remember correctly (Oldham in the League Cup, Leeds in 92/93 and Everton in 94/95) and then a brilliant header for Everton against Liverpool.

Can't believe how it's all opened up again this thread

mu3924

Why can't it be compared? I honestly think it would've been more than capable of winning in Europe if it wasn't for the 3 foreigner rule.

mu3924

Not as crazy as you think. Wasn’t Beckham dropped in a few games in the 2002-03 title run in. Fergie went for the pace of Ole over Beckhams crossing. Teams started to Suss Utd out and Fergie changed things around. People forget how good Andre was after he left Utd. He had a great few seasons at Everton. Big shame the off the field incidents meant he had to leave Utd.

1991-1997 Andre was good as anyone in Europe.
This. Plus Kanchelskis had a good cross/long ball in his locker as well which people tend to forget about. See Cantona's goal he set up in the 5-0 City win in 94/95. That is easily as good as any long ball Beckham has ever played.

Why can't it be compared? I honestly think it would've been more than capable of winning in Europe if it wasn't for the 3 foreigner rule.
Because one won a treble and one won a Cl/Pl double.

You can't compare what teams did and what they could have done is what I meant (you're reading too much into it... I loved the early 90s side)

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The double winning team of 94 is my favorite club side ever. Maybe it our age giving us away haha. It had everything, power, pace, youth, agression. Mark Hughes was servely underrated also. But man, Eric was the king. Our most influential player of all time. No question about that. We won the league 5 out of 6 seasons he was available. The one we didnt was the one he was suspended.
Yeah Im with you there, 94 is my all time favourite team. Skill, Pace, could get stuck in when needed, desire, and Eric the King, they had everything.

Zlatattack

Some of you lot are underrating Beckham.

Beckham in his prime (and his prime last for quite some years) is a force of nature, his fitness, work rate, and delivery are virtually unstoppable.

Normal winger have to reach the byline to cross, beck could cross from anywhere it's pointless to even mark him out.
Makes me feel old. Nobody who watched Beckham in his prime for us could ever not consider him world class.

youngrell

Andrei was my first 'favourite' player, I styled my own game on him, he was so much fun to watch and devastating too. He would almost run the ball the length of the field, including in to the opponents box and slot home.

Beckham was almost certainly the better all-round player, though.

Imagine Kanchelskis and Giggs as inverted forwards in today's game :drool: with Eric in between.

hatchetmac

Both great players but Beckham nicks it for me as his all round game was better. I remember the 94/95 season when Kanchelskis was having a good season but suffered some injuries. If he had kept fit I'm sure we would have won the league that season.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Time is so weird. In terms of years, 2005 seems absolutely forever go. It was just 4 years after 9/11 (it would be like 9/11 happening in 2018) and Youtube was not even thing back then!

But then 5 years ago was 2017. Not that far back. 5 years after 2005 was 2010 which isn't so long ago either in some ways. 2014 was only a few years after 2010 which isn't that far from 2005 so really 2005 is closer than we think.

Time is really weird. We are on this world for absolutely no time.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

The 1992-1994 side May have beat the 1999 side playing to 1992 rules and refereeing.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Beckham.

I loved to see Kanchelskis wheeling away, making the sign of the cross after banging a goal in. However, David Beckham 1998/99 is one of the most special things I've ever seen.

We saw Becks come through. We saw him rise to every challenge. Physically, from other players e.g., Poborsky, then from d-kheads after the 98 World Cup. It really felt like he could've been a mate at school or a cousin or whatever. He lived our dreams. Yes this is all, fundamentally, sentimental guff. Still, football is pretty irrational.

Plus he was a brilliant, brilliant player. If we had Becks' delivery from outside in this team Ronaldo would be scoring tons of headers. Beckham only needed the slightest window to be able to whip perfect passes from right to left. He had stamina, he had work rate, he could shoot from range or from inside the box with vicious power.

And that 1999 year? Becks was a man on a mission. I never saw Kanchelskis play for Man Utd like that.

I loved Kanchelskis' raw speed. The way he could front up defenders and make them fall over themselves like fools. But man, David Beckham. If you never saw it you missed out.