Kane goes Awol

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He isn't worth 100m, ESPECIALLY because of his age and his injury record and then the pandemic on top of that. And we have to be honest as well, the guy has won absolutely nothing, he has no track record of success despite getting close a few times, with good teams over the years.

It's amazing how real life plays out exactly as I imagine it. I always felt Tottenham would struggle to sell him for an elite price. Man Utd dodged a bullet here, I felt they might be insane enough to offer in excess of 100m.
You paid £53m for a defender who has played 1 season in the PL, if you dont think a player at his peak who has conssitanlt scored goals in the PL is worth £100M your either WUMMING or an Arsenal fan.... oh wait.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
His injury record is also overplayed, he's missed around 30 league games in 7 seasons. It's only become a "thing" because he's done the same injury three times all around the same time of year.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
You paid £53m for a defender who has played 1 season in the PL, if you dont think a player at his peak who has conssitanlt scored goals in the PL is worth £100M your either WUMMING or an Arsenal fan.... oh wait.
Read my full opinion, I honestly think it's a fair opinion.

1) Kane has won nothing with Tottenham despite the fact that he really should have. Tottenham did not have a bad squad, 1 trophy isn't all that difficult to ask for is it? Especially with the players he had.
2) He has an injury record.
3) He gave everything to Tottenham and there's a risk he could be the next Griezmann/Hazard who were much more accomplished players at their previous clubs before their big money move. There's absolutely no guarantee Kane will be successful at his next club.
4) Kane wants to leave and has made his mind up, and if there really is a gentleman's agreement to let him go, then it benefits nobody to force him to stay. It doesn't benefit Kane and it certainly doesn't add value to the club. Any valuation must be reasonable considering the risk the next club is taking on.

Having Harry Kane in the team is no guarantee of success. Especially for a big price tag and his age. Tottenham fans of all people should know this so behave yourself.

Your criticism of Arsenal is correct btw. Arsenal are probably the most wasteful club in Europe in terms of getting value out of the transfer market. But that doesn't mean other clubs should behave the same way does it? Arsenal are not being run by football-minded people unfortunately.

I really don't know why you're complaining. Even 90m is a lot of money you know considering the circumstances. Levy could use that to get good value of the transfer market. Tottenham do not have a bad squad.

If Levy can get over 100m, then fair enough. That would be a great businessman.

Just to be clear: I'm not disrespecting Kane. I think he is obviously a great striker, a great player and has contributed a lot over the years. We're just arguing over the valuation given the current circumstances, that's all. With a player of his calibre, pushing for a move like this, it's obvious that Tottenham don't have ALL the aces. And the club that buys him also will be considering the risks involved, so because of all those factors, I think his valuation is more like 90m.

Last edited:

LoneStar

Could be emails or witnesses to the side agreement.

Only Kane and his brother probably know exactly what the agreement is / was.

If there is any evidence or other witnesses to it then he could have a case.

Wondering if Levy could actually get forced out here.

With the disastrous stadium delays, cost escalation, shambolic firing of Mourinho and manager search and now seemingly reneging on his deal with Kane.

He's lost the plot by the look of it.
I'd think Levy would be careful enough to not leave a paper (or email) trail behind. If Kane had some evidence, I'm pretty sure he would have mentioned it to his lawyers.

If they lose Kane, and don't invest properly, I guess his position will be in jeopardy.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

1) Kane has won nothing with Tottenham despite the fact that he really should have. Tottenham did not have a bad squad and if he's the elite player you really think he is, 1 trophy isn't all that difficult to ask for is it? Especially with the players he had.
3) He gave everything to Tottenham and there's a risk he could be the next Griezmann/Hazard who were much more accomplished players at their previous clubs before their big money move. There's absolutely no guarantee Kane will be successful at his next club.
4) Kane wants to leave and has made his mind up, and if there really is a gentleman's agreement to let him go, then it benefits nobody to force him to stay. It doesn't benefit Kane and it certainly doesn't add value to the club. Any valuation must be reasonable considering the risk the next club is taking on.

Having Harry Kane in the team is no guarantee of success. Especially for a big price tag and his age. Tottenham fans of all people should know this so behave yourself.

Your criticism of Arsenal is correct btw. Arsenal are probably the most wasteful club in Europe in terms of getting value out of the transfer market. But that doesn't mean other clubs should behave the same way does it? Arsenal are not being run by football-minded people unfortunately.
Are Lukaku and Grealish worth more than Kane?

Withnail

Exactly... He's definitely worth two Ben Whites. It's farcical for anyone to suggest his price tag shouldn't be upwards of 100m.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

1) Kane has won nothing with Tottenham despite the fact that he really should have. Tottenham did not have a bad squad, 1 trophy isn't all that difficult to ask for is it? Especially with the players he had.

I really don't know why you're complaining. Even 90m is a lot of money you know considering the circumstances. Levy could use that to get good value of the transfer market. Tottenham do not have a bad squad.

If Levy can get over 100m, then fair enough. That would be a great businessman.

Just to be clear: I'm not disrespecting Kane. I think he is obviously a great striker, a great player and has contributed a lot over the years. We're just arguing over the valuation given the current circumstances, that's all. With a player of his calibre, pushing for a move like this, it's obvious that Tottenham don't have ALL the aces. And the club that buys him also will be considering the risks involved, so because of all those factors, I think his valuation is more like 90m.
Kane - 237 in 401 games
Griezmann - 220 in 557 games
Hazard - 166 in 602 games

Despite what anyone says about Harry, he will score goals where ever he goes. Kane in the City team, quite frankly will be devastating and is EXACTLY what they need he has had no real service since Eriksen left. DO you think hes worth more than Lukaku?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Its a shame he spat on a kid, liking Carra these days.
Its got to the point where Carragher is talking more sense than Neville and I can't even pretend that's not the case. As a United fan its like being smacked across the mouth.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If Levy has told him he could go for £100m if no CL and now going back on his word, who is unprofessional?

Whilst it's true it's hard to enforce verbal contract, it is actually legally binding if it contains the correct elements when agreed.

He could sue Levy / Spurs if he really wants out...

Either way, if Kane feels he's being screwed over, going to have zero motivation to continue to play for Levy and Spurs.

Imagine if your boss promised you something really important then renegged on it. Would you want to work for them anymore?
I would still turn up and resign. I mean if I have signed a contract, not turning up is not the most professional thing to do. So calling him "as professional as they come" is a laughable statement

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Its got to the point where Carragher is talking more sense than Neville and I can't even pretend that's not the case. As a United fan its like being smacked across the mouth.
I think Neville probably thinks the same as Carra, but Gary is tight with Harry and whatever the outcome of the transfer will want another "first in interview" with him, if he moves everyone will wanna know what hes says if he stays everyone will wanna know what he says.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Any footballer is only worth what a club are willing to pay for them. Tottenham supposedly want £160m, and Kane should probably be talked about in the £130-140m bracket at least because its inevitable that clubs will use other transfers as a barometer. England captain. Spurs star player. As close to a guarantee of goals as there is in the PL right now. When Sancho goes for £73m and Grealish for £100m, and Chelsea are looking at a 9 figure fee for Lukaku, then £130-140m seems fair.

They won't get it though. Levy will continue to be a hostage to his cherished 'hard nosed businessman' reputation and refuse that number even if its best for everybody involved. I only see this happening if they accept at least one player as a makeweight in the deal.

mu4c_20le

Modric was in a very different situation, I think that's pretty clear.
Maybe different in some ways, but they both had a gentlemen's agreement with Levy. I respect carra the pundit, but think he's being a bit dramatic here.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's a nonsense isn't it. No one on here could even remember the Modric situation which was much more fraught.
Pretty simple Modric wanted Chelsea after being tapped up on Romans big boat , stamped his feet, Levy said no, had a blinder of a season. Wanted Madrid, stamped his feet Levy sold for a price to a foreign club and we moved on.

I think Neville probably thinks the same as Carra, but Gary is tight with Harry and whatever the outcome of the transfer will want another "first in interview" with him, if he moves everyone will wanna know what hes says if he stays everyone will wanna know what he says.
I get that. However, Gary never hesitates to call out other players for lacking professionalism. So to see him skirting around the Kane thing, and suggesting there might be mitigating factors, its just a bit embarrassing. Dunno if embarrassing is the right word. But it just flies in the face of what you would expect.

I think I've heard Gary Neville say that the Manager felt David Beckham, his best friend, had taken his eye of the ball and that's why he sold him. Its crazy to me that Nev can say that about Beckham but has the kid gloves on with Harry Kane.

Yes, its tough to criticise people you are close to in public. However, it comes with the job as a pundit. He could have easily retreated into the 'he's been badly advised' cop out. Instead he suggested that something had gone wrong. As if its Spurs' fault that its employee had failed to show up for work when he was meant to.

The only thing that went wrong was Kane's decision making when he signed a six year deal. He should have said at the time, I'll sign a four year deal with an option of a fifth year. Why a six year deal? He took the cash Spurs put on the table. No use crying about it now.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Maybe different in some ways, but they both had a gentlemen's agreement with Levy. I respect carra the pundit, but think he's being a bit dramatic here.
An agreement that Levy would consider offers for him, not that he would accept offers for him. Modric has never said a bad word about Levy, indeed has said he regrets how it turned out and that Levy was doing what was right by Spurs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I get that. However, Gary never hesitates to call out other players for lacking professionalism. So to see him skirting around the Kane thing, and suggesting there might be mitigating factors, its just a bit embarrassing. Dunno if embarrassing is the right word. But it just flies in the face of what you would expect.

I think I've heard Gary Neville say that the Manager felt David Beckham, his best friend, had taken his eye of the ball and that's why he sold him. Its crazy to me that Nev can say that about Beckham but has the kid gloves on with Harry Kane.

Yes, its tough to criticise people you are close to in public. However, it comes with the job as a pundit. He could have easily retreated into the 'he's been badly advised' cop out. Instead he suggested that something had gone wrong. As if its Spurs' fault that its employee had failed to show up for work when he was meant to.

The only thing that went wrong was Kane's decision making when he signed a six year deal. He should have said at the time, I'll sign a four year deal with an option of a fifth year. Why a six year deal? He took the cash Spurs put on the table. No use crying about it now.
Agreed.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm still not convinced he will leave Spurs - I'm not sure City will pay up what Levy wants and Harry could end up looking a right wally.

I'm still not convinced he will leave Spurs - I'm not sure City will pay up what Levy wants and Harry could end up looking a right wally.
I would put it 60/40 in Spurs' favour that Kane stays this summer.

There is no reason for Spurs to sell. All the talk about the 'lesser' fee next summer ignores the fact that a) it will still be a big fee off of a player that did not cost Spurs anything; b) Kane is a guarantee of Premier League goals, which Spurs need if the club is at all serious about winning something or qualifying for the Champions League this season.

I can see Kane staying this season and then going next season. Probably for a bit less than is on offer this summer but still a bigger fee than Spurs got for Bale. Will it be to City? Who knows at that point. Probably depends on what happens with Haaland, as it seems like Mbappe has his heart set on Madrid.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
His injury record is also overplayed, he's missed around 30 league games in 7 seasons. It's only become a "thing" because he's done the same injury three times all around the same time of year.
And he’s had less injury absence in the last 3 years than he did in the 3 previous to those - so, if anyone wants to draw a conclusion about his tendency to get injured then they’ll see that he’s now less injury prone than when he was younger.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Clearly Kane is worth more than Lukaku and Grealish. You are looking at English tax, 3 years left to run on his contract, 20+ goals a season striker who also happens to be a model professional and the England captain. Spurs I dont think will accept anything below 130mil, maybe 100mil and a player going the other way would sway them, maybe.

Member 101269

Unfortunately, will a player who is hurt, by an alleged broken promise, break their nose for a goal. Will a percentage drop in commitment or focus cost the club much more. Cash out now and buy players while COVID financing is affecting their values is the smarter move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
It's really frustrating when people keep going on Levy allegedly telling Kane he'd let him go this summer. Even if we assume it's true for a second, what does "letting him go" even mean? As a statement by itself it means nothing. Let him go for what? For free? For £5m? For the same figure that Jack Grealish is going for, a player with half as many Premier League appearances as Kane has goals? No, clearly last summer the message was that Levy won't let him go for any price(ok, barring a ridiculous unrealistic crazy amount) but that the following summer if we haven't progressed then he'd let him go ... for what the club value him at. When Chelsea are reportedly offering £110m for Lukaku, a player with one 20+ goal season in the PL then you cannot be surprised when Spurs say their valuation is closer to £150m than the £100m City would like him for.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I have no idea, I think this whole thing has been handled very poorly, I think City thought they could get him on the cheap. I have no doubt either Harry or his bother have been talking to City throughout last season, they have told him to push it to the point where he does an interview and says what the price should be, even Gary laughed at it. Now the Grealish transfer seems like its going to go through its going to be interesting how this pans out. City need a striker and with a week and a half to the first game I would say we are going to start seeing stories of City after another striker.

There is 2 ways Kane sees this, a) they dont really want me that much if they value JG over me or b) I still want to leave. As for Levy, again not his biggest fan of late will have a value in his mind, I don't think its a straight £160M but that's where he will start. He will know the chances of City winning the league are high, add £5m to the fee, CL win, add £10 top goal scorer in the PL add £2m etc etc.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Unfortunately, will a player with hurt by an alleged broken promise will break their nose for a goal. Will a percentage drop in commitment or focus cost the club much more. Cash out now and buy players while COVID financing is affecting their values is the smarter move.
What benifit would Harry get by purposely underperforming? He would simply be cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Clearly Kane is worth more than Lukaku and Grealish. You are looking at English tax, 3 years left to run on his contract, 20+ goals a season striker who also happens to be a model professional and the England captain. Spurs I dont think will accept anything below 130mil, maybe 100mil and a player going the other way would sway them, maybe.
That would probably be the best outcome but those who City might be willing to part with(Laporte, Bernardo, Jesus) are unlikely to be up for the move so it's probably a bit of a non-starter.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Its a shame he spat on a kid, liking Carra these days.
It's an interesting one.

Would Ashley Cole trade his champions league medal for having a better rep with Arsenal fans? Would Sol Campbell trade his league medals for a better reception at Spurs? I doubt it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's an interesting one.

Would Ashley Cole trade his champions league medal for having a better rep with Arsenal fans? Would Sol Campbell trade his league medals for a better reception at Spurs? I doubt it.
Probably not, and I don't think Jamie is saying "don't want a move Harry" he's saying be carful how you do it. They may have won much more and got paid much more but both will always be villains in football.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Probably not, and I don't think Jamie is saying "don't want a move Harry" he's saying be carful how you do it. They may have won much more and got paid much more but both will always be villains in football.
Do you want to be the villain or Matt Le Tissier though?

Seems like there's no room for middle ground after he signed that long contract.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Is the mention of Modric for convenience? How many players didnt perform as well?
No idea, you tell me, you said his performances would drop. I'm meaning Modric because because he is talking about the same thing Kane did and also wanted a move away.

Status
Not open for further replies.