Kane goes Awol

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I dont know about that - there are at least 2 threads in a Utd forum discussing it hotly right now. I dont think Pogba not turning up for training would even be noticed by other clubs.
Bit of a mental thing to say.

Nogbadthebad

Bale did the same thing to get out.

So did Modric, it seems its a thing to force levy's hand, because hes such a BS merchant.

However, in both those cases, there was a giant offer and spurs were simply refusing to sell.

I haven;t heard of city tabling any offer for kane, so this still seems odd.

Kane always seems to value his good guy image too, and this makes him look a bit of a dick.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Imagine the fury if Pogba did this. Nobody other than Spurs fans will care because Kane is white & English.
I could easily see Pogba doing the same in Kanes situation though. For Pogba its all about the money. He knows in a years time a big paycheck is waiting for him and his agent.

RUCK4444

Bale did the same thing to get out.

So did Modric, it seems its a thing to force levy's hand, because hes such a BS merchant.

However, in both those cases, there was a giant offer and spurs were simply refusing to sell.

I haven;t heard of city tabling any offer for kane, so this still seems odd.

Kane always seems to value his good guy image too, and this makes him look a bit of a dick.
Agreed, but it’s needed with Levy, I’m sure Kane won’t be happy about doing this.

Kajus

Imagine the fury if Pogba did this. Nobody other than Spurs fans will care because Kane is white & English.
Exactly, it would all have to do with Pogba’s race and nationality and nothing to do with the fact that he’s been a disrespectful twat towards the club since day one :houllier:

diarm

Kane had other options here. He could hand in a request or sit down with a journo like he did with Neville to tell the public how Levy has gone back on his word.

Not showing up for training is cowards behaviour and reflects really poorly on him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why is this a separate thread? It's already being discussed in the transfer thread

macheda14

CG1010

Probably the last desperate act to get Levy to budge so that City sign him rather than Grealish. As I don't see City buying him if the other deal goes through and there is no other realistic buyer for Kane this summer. So there is a very real risk of him remaining at Spurs with a bit of bad blood between him and the club. It might set the stage for his departure next season at relatively lower price though if he is prepared.

youmeletsfly

I don't side with neither of them, especially considering it's Spurs.

If this would've been a "normal" job the narrative would be "Hmmm, the employer is not letting the employee follow his dreams and move up in his career, especially after he delivered here".
As this is football, everyone will jump on the "Kane is so disrespectful" bandwagon.

To be completely honest, I don't give a single feck on how Kane or Spurs/Pogba or ManUnited behave during such a situation. Each party has its own interest and is entitled to following it down to the wire. We should also consider that we know feck all about what happens behind doors.

If people think Spurs are caging him or he's disrespectful for not going to training that's their own issue, mostly created by the media and the belief that a job is some sort of obligation these days.

People can't force Spurs to sell and Spurs can't force Harry to go to work, it's as simple as that. They will finally find middle ground as both are not happy with the situation and the drama will end. I saw some people around here taking it personally, being quite affected, especially considering the similar Pogba situation.

I love United but I didn't bat an eyelid with Becks or Ronaldo left and so should the Spurs fans, or any fans in general. It's a job, people will come and go like in any other job.
The club will survive and, if managed properly, can even flourish afterwards.

CG1010

I don't side with neither of them, especially considering it's Spurs.

If this would've been a "normal" job the narrative would be "Hmmm, the employer is not letting the employee follow his dreams and move up in his career, especially after he delivered here".
As this is football, everyone will jump on the "Kane is so disrespectful" bandwagon.

To be completely honest, I don't give a single feck on how Kane or Spurs/Pogba or ManUnited behave during such a situation. Each party has its own interest and is entitled to following it down to the wire. We should also consider that we know feck all about what happens behind doors.

If people think Spurs are caging him or he's disrespectful for not going to training that's their own issue, mostly created by the media and the belief that a job is some sort of obligation these days.

People can't force Spurs to sell and Spurs can't force Harry to go to work, it's as simple as that. They will finally find middle ground as both are not happy with the situation and the drama will end. I saw some people around here taking it personally, being quite affected, especially considering the similar Pogba situation.

I love United but I didn't bat an eyelid with Becks or Ronaldo left and so should the Spurs fans, or any fans in general. It's a job, people will come and go like in any other job.
The club will survive and, if managed properly, can even flourish afterwards.
They can stop paying to Kane if he doesn't turn up, you know? Then its all about legal battles where Kane doesn't look too good.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would be funny if City bought Grealish and decided they couldn’t afford both. Wonder if we would nip in with a cheeky bid. If they did do that and Kane was forced to play another season there I think they’d get him for not much more than £50m next year, or he’d threaten not to play for them again.

Zlatattack

Hmm, hopefully City sign Grealish and we can tempt Levy with a last minute £60m + Martial offer on deadline day.

Stacks

If he has a gentelsmans agreement he can go for x amount, and the club refuse when they get the offer i can understand it from Kane.
and if it was Pogba???
Amen. Pogba is a true professional
It'll probably be for some quarantine regulation or some rest-related conversation missed. Kane sees himself as a role-model figure too much to pull something like this I feel.
I reckon there may be some kind of mix up in that he may have been given more recovery time but the message has been lost. we'll see

Occasionally there are things that come out eg the time he got petulant about a goal and then started complaining when the FA made a joke about it.. does suggest he might have a knut side that thinks he’s above everyone else.
I’ve seen Ronaldo, Mourinho eg people many might think have arrogant personalities take jokes about them with good humour, or even make self depreciating jokes. But then often you find the ones who act most humble are the ones who can’t take a joke.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The thing about a gentleman's agreement is that they only work if they're made by gentlemen.
Pretty much. And if the club happens to not act gentlemanly, do what is best for you.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Nothing at all suggests that this was agreed upon. It would be an incredibly weird move from the 2018 Spurs, who just reached CL final and built a new stadium, to prolong their biggest star with an option of him leaving at any point (and to their PL "rivals" as well).

Also, those "gentlemen's agreements" are worth nothing, he's not a young guy or a foreign footballer who came in not knowing the inner workings of contract negotiations in England (like Suarez, although I have no sympathy for him as well). If he needed a clause, he should've included it in the contract.
As Spurs themselves are proving so well: one CL final by itself doesn't mean a lot for the future. As far as I know his previous contract ran until 2021, so it would be entirely reasonable for him to demand an agreement that would allow him to leave after that (if Spurs don't develop as well as they had hoped) and it would be entirely reasonable for Spurs to accept such an agreement, because this way they get to collect a fee in 2021, instead of getting low balled in 2020 or losing him for free in 2021, if they had stuck with the old contract.

I have no idea whether such an agreement was in place, but I find it a bit weird to basically say it's the player's fault if the club go back on their promises, if we just shrug that off as the game being the game, then the same applies to players forcing a move.

Varun

Staff
Levy be like gentlemen's agreements are only valid if made between gentlemen so this is just an agreement and agreements are only valid if they're on paper.

Utd77

Agitating for a move? its looking like Kane to City and Lukaku to Chelsea in the next few weeks, honestly though, I would take an in form Cavani over either!

Varun

Staff
Jokes aside though, when your CEO is Daniel fecking Levy, get whatever agreement you want down in paper, written. If you take his verbal world, you're sure to get fecked. I'm actually going to enjoy the shitstorm though, good on Kane to shit all over Levy, Spurs and his good boy image. Needless to say, hope Levy wins in the end. Kane at City and other clubs might as well give up the league.

youmeletsfly

They can stop paying to Kane if he doesn't turn up, you know? Then its all about legal battles where Kane doesn't look too good.
Yes, of course I know. It was just a comparison of the two sides of the coin. Don't think it will reach the legal battle point, as contracts these days are well covered for such situations.

JPRouve

Scout
Jokes aside though, when your CEO is Daniel fecking Levy, get whatever agreement you want down in paper, written. If you take his verbal world, you're sure to get fecked. I'm actually going to enjoy the shitstorm though, good on Kane to shit all over Levy, Spurs and his good boy image. Needless to say, hope Levy wins in the end. Kane at City and other clubs might as well give up the league.
It's a bit more complicated than that. What you call in paper is only valuable if it's an addendum to the contract otherwise from the POV of the league or any federation, the agreement isn't enforcible within Football. You can go to a civil court and are likely to get compensation but you are not going to get the transfer that you wanted/want.
My point being that you will have to go far in order to force a club to change your contract in a way that will allow you to leave if certain conditions aren't met, that's why players and agents generally settle with gentlemen agreements. Particularly if you signed a long contract.

Classical Mechanic

As Spurs themselves are proving so well: one CL final by itself doesn't mean a lot for the future. As far as I know his previous contract ran until 2021, so it would be entirely reasonable for him to demand an agreement that would allow him to leave after that (if Spurs don't develop as well as they had hoped) and it would be entirely reasonable for Spurs to accept such an agreement, because this way they get to collect a fee in 2021, instead of getting low balled in 2020 or losing him for free in 2021, if they had stuck with the old contract.

I have no idea whether such an agreement was in place, but I find it a bit weird to basically say it's the player's fault if the club go back on their promises, if we just shrug that off as the game being the game, then the same applies to players forcing a move.
It's nothing new for Spurs. Modric claimed Levy reneged on a similar agreement whilst Bale, Berbatov and Modric had to take strike action to get a move.

Not sure why players get into these stupid contracts with Levy though. Davidson Sanchez signed a 6 year contract with them. OK he's not turned out to be anything special but why would you sign a 6 year deal with Levy? You're going to end up in the same situation if a top club wants you. Levy used to be able to get his players to sign new 5 year contracts every 1 or 2 seasons for small pay rises that still left the players well under the average for the PL. You wondered who was advising these players.

Infra-red

Not turning up to work for an employer that pays you a six figure salary every week, is fairly poor behaviour.

Unless he has a very good excuse (much better than the one Rio used when he missed his drugs test), he really should be heavily fined by his club.

Mike Smalling

Why a player of Kane's quality playing for a club like Spurs would sign a 6-year contract in his prime is beyond me.

Also, if Grealish is worth 100m how much will Kane go for? Surely at least the same amount?

Infra-red

Why a player of Kane's quality playing for a club like Spurs would sign a 6-year contract in his prime is beyond me.

Also, if Grealish is worth 100m how much will Kane go for? Surely at least the same amount?
I doubt Spurs would sell for less than £150m - he's still got three years on his deal and Levy won't want him moving to another English club.

ghagua

While I agree it is a classless thing to do, and if one of our players did it we would all be upset but.....

1) If there is a gentlemen's agreement between Kane and Levy, and if Levy is not honoring that then Kane is right to do what he is doing.

2) How on earth can a player with ambition be so stupid to sign a long-term contract (with Spurs) without any written clauses and believe a "gentlemen's agreement" would be good enough for Levy? Don't they see other players who have gone through the same issues before?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Probably all planned in advance, Spurs know he is going, media just stirring the hornets nest for clicks.

Spurs have been throwing around money this xfer window, where did the Spurs fans think it was coming from? Levy and Joe's business finances?

Spurs can dig their heels in all they want, Modric, Berbatov, Bale all moved, Kane's turn. This is what happens when you do not invest in the squad, had Spurs upped the ante and splashed some cash a year or so ago to send a message their ambitions matched Kane's he may of been convinced to stay. They did not, let the team stagnate, won nothing, but shiny new stadium and development complex going up in North London, shopping mall, 5 star accommodation facilities for players, you name it. Spurs had money for all of that, just not money for investing in the squad apparently.

JPRouve

Scout

Financial security, it's particularly true for players with injury issues and played a large amount of time with a wage that was relatively low.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Such an odd move by Kane if this does turn out to be what it appears to be (him throwing a hissy fit) and not something else. He knows who he's dealing with in Levy. He knows that this little stunt with have no effect on how Levy will handle the situation, so I don't know what his game is. There's no forcing a move here, so what's the end game.

I originally thought that City must have been in contact and basically assured him and his agent that the move is going ahead, but then why would you pull this stunt. It makes no sense from Kane's perspective.

Kaos

Financial security, it's particularly true for players with injury issues and played a large amount of time with a wage that was relatively low.
While that all makes sense, a 6 year deal with Daniel feckin Levy of all chairman for a player of Kane's calibre is sheer stupidity. By all means sign a 3 year big bumper deal, but Harry only has himself to blame for being stuck in this spuds purgatory.

As for the financial security argument - he's already a multi millionaire, so I don't think his family will go hungry regardless of what happens with his career in the future. Even in the worst case scenario I'm sure can secure a lucrative 'retirement' deal in China or the MLS.

Mike Smalling

Kane would have been financially secure for the rest of his life on a 4-year contract as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.