Kane goes Awol

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Maybe they club didn't want to open the door to release clauses or they couldn't necessarily agree on a fixed sum, but made some agreement to be reasonable. It's kind of what Dortmund did with Sancho.
So clearly an acceptable offer hasn't been received. There is a reason why Harry tagged him self at £100M and that's the exact figure City appear to have offered.

Threesus

There have been reports from January 2018 that Pogba wanted to leave one way or the other. His agent has come out with statements comparing Paul’s situation to slavery.
Kane did a mistake in signing a large contract and threatening to go on a strike to get his move leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but let’s not act like Pogba’s camp have been model professionals during his time here.

Mike Smalling

I don't know and I don't think that it's needed either. He can do what most players do, create a bit of tension in order to get a move.
He is still running the risk of Spurs and City not being able to agree on a price and him having egg on his face as the transfer window runs out. I maintain he could have had very good financial security and better footballing career options if he had signed a shorter contract.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He is still running the risk of Spurs and City not being able to agree on a price and him having egg on his face as the transfer window runs out. I maintain he could have had very good financial security and better footballing career options if he had signed a shorter contract.
Obviously does not have any business savvy

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
So clearly an acceptable offer hasn't been received. There is a reason why Harry tagged him self at £100M and that's the exact figure City appear to have offered.
Agree, he probably shit his pants when Neville's reply to that was that the figure would probably start with a 2.

For the record I don't think £200m is realistic but neither is £100m. If City go to £150m and Spurs reject then Kane might have a right to feel aggrieved but until then ...

Inigo Montoya

There have been reports from January 2018 that Pogba wanted to leave one way or the other. His agent has come out with statements comparing Paul’s situation to slavery.
Kane did a mistake in signing a large contract and threatening to go on a strike to get his move leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but let’s not act like Pogba’s camp have been model professionals during his time here.
He’s not acting like Pogba’s camp have been model professionals. Just the discrepancy in the reporting as well as the double standards. Kane is seen as a poster boy for England therefore he can’t be possibly acting like this. Whereas Pogba is everything bad about football… apparently

Kane is an idiot. What is a gentleman's agreement? It's worthless. Levy will sell him if an acceptable offer comes in i.e one that meets his valuation, whatever that is, and the club is not a rival. I hesitate to call City a rival, but he's not going to sell to another English club unless the offer was sky high. He's got long standing form on that and Kane and his agent should have known that. Can't help but feel that this wouldn't be happening if he had an actual agent instead of his brother.

I still don't think he will move though and i desperately hope he doesn't come here.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Perhaps the news that Tottenham have a mouth watering tie against De Ferreira or Larne might convince him to stay.

Inigo Montoya

Kane is an idiot. What is a gentleman's agreement? It's worthless. Levy will sell him if an acceptable offer comes in i.e one that meets his valuation, whatever that is, and the club is not a rival. I hesitate to call City a rival, but he's not going to sell to another English club unless the offer was sky high. He's got long standing form on that and Kane and his agent should have known that. Can't help but feel that this wouldn't be happening if he had an actual agent instead of his brother.

I still don't think he will move though and i desperately hope he doesn't come here.
We aren’t in for Kane. We’re waiting for Haaland to go on strike

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You see that's the key word. You are talking about possibilities instead of simply acknowledging the reality and what he actually had in his hands when he signed the contract. No one is telling you that things could not have gone differently under different circumstances but you need to take into account that you are talking about gambling your future which may pay off but can also ruin you, you also don't know what Spurs would have offered with different terms.

But more importantly my point is that the reason he would sign that contract are fairly obvious and sensible whether people agree with it or not. And of course in theory it wasn't the only sensible option but none of us know if they were actually on the table.

nainaisson

If Cavani goes, you could tolerate another season with Martial as striker?

I prefer Haaland over Kane, but I'd still take Kane in a heartbeat.

Inigo Montoya

I am sorry, what else could ‘owning a person’ mean?
The point is, it’s implied but not used. The word has awful connotations when used in reference to a black person. Raiola is careful not to use it but others throw it around like it has been said

izec

Gentleman's agreement is just nonsense. He has a contract and Levy doesn't care. He obviously would do anything to keep Kane, so for him it doesn't matter what they agreed on verbally. Kane was just stupid, as Levy will price him out of any move.

Castia

Bet the Spurs fans are fuming

I didn’t think Kane had it in him to kick up a stinker tbh.

The problem is if City sign Grealish for 100m I’m not sure they will have 160m for Kane he could be left in limbo

Varun

Staff
It's a bit more complicated than that. What you call in paper is only valuable if it's an addendum to the contract otherwise from the POV of the league or any federation, the agreement isn't enforcible within Football. You can go to a civil court and are likely to get compensation but you are not going to get the transfer that you wanted/want.
My point being that you will have to go far in order to force a club to change your contract in a way that will allow you to leave if certain conditions aren't met, that's why players and agents generally settle with gentlemen agreements. Particularly if you signed a long contract.
Yeah, that's true. We saw the paper isnt worth a dime when Pool refused the Suarez to Arse move but at least then, everyone would be on his side if Levy reneged and he told Spurs to do one by not turning up. Now, he looks like a prat because he signed a long contract and is now holding the club to ransom because neither does he want to honor it nor is the buyer forking out the money Spurs demand.

James Peril

Nah, it’s fair game when you’re Harry Kane. Sure he’s signed a contract, but he has given Spurs so much more than they have given him. He’s stayed five years too many and never won anything. When looking like spending, they have tightened the strings and failed on their promise. A but like United and Pogba, albeit United have just failed to buy the right players up until now.

Kane is bigger than Tottenham, without him they really are just another team in the Premier League. They have not matched his ambitions, they have won zero trophies and look dead and burried before the next season. I fully support his decision to not meet for practice if Levy is breaking his part of a gentlemen’s agreement. Kane must leave this year or he is screwed.

Varun

Staff
Gentleman's agreement is just nonsense. He has a contract and Levy doesn't care. He obviously would do anything to keep Kane, so for him it doesn't matter what they agreed on verbally. Kane was just stupid, as Levy will price him out of any move.
Yep and to be fair, if you bid 100mil for Grealish, you can't be shocked if Spurs demand 150mil+ for Kane.

Enigma_87

You know who
You see that's the key word. You are talking about possibilities instead of simply acknowledging the reality and what he actually had in his hands when he signed the contract. No one is telling you that things could not have gone differently under different circumstances but you need to take into account that you are talking about gambling your future which may pay off but can also ruin you, you also don't know what Spurs would have offered with different terms.

But more importantly my point is that the reason he would sign that contract are fairly obvious and sensible whether people agree with it or not. And of course in theory it wasn't the only sensible option but none of us know if they were actually on the table.
Absolutely this. By the time Kane signed that contract he was at the height of his powers. Signing a 6 years contract gets you the maximum value you could get from Spurs at that point. It means probably you get a bumper from them because of the length of the contract.

On top of that you have pretty much secured your future, considering you might have a serious injury in those next 6 years that might prevent you to be back at 100%, or to have a dip in form, Adriano type of decline, etc...

Spurs can't really allow their best player to be half arsed and frustrated around the club on daily basis. In cases like this more likely than not the player will push for the transfer and eventually would get it.

Inigo Montoya

Which Kane? The one that was ineffective at the Euros and only showed in fits and starts in the PL? Haaland was a beast in the BL and in Europe

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That’s worst case scenario, but he certainly wouldn’t be the first player to end a window like this. Wouldn’t even be the first Spurs player to! Footy fans are fickle though. All he’d need to do is score a few goals and celebrate with the badge a bit and he’d be back in Spurs fans good books for the most part.

Kingantti1874

Supports
Hearts
Any player who signs an extension at Spurs without making sure a release clause is included only has themselves to blame

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Bet the Spurs fans are fuming

I didn’t think Kane had it in him to kick up a stinker tbh.

The problem is if City sign Grealish for 100m I’m not sure they will have 160m for Kane he could be left in limbo
Some are, but most seen this coming since the Neville interview. Set a deadline for City, set the price and if nothing comes close the door, Harry will live.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Some gentlemen agreements do not comply with contract laws, while they may make sense in football, they are not necessarily legally applicable. One key issue is when a clause makes a contract clearly unbalanced, it opens the possibility for the contract to be entirely voided. That's why you often hear about gentlemen agreements.
Does this particular gentlemen agreement not comply with contract laws? Let's assume that it wouldn't be worded as vaguely as this one going by the media reports (Levy agreeing to entertain the offers for Kane with a reasonable price, whatever this means), but, say: if Spurs don't get CL football it activates a clause that allows other clubs to buy Kane for, say, 150 mil?

Inigo Montoya

I am incredibly upset we are missing out on such epic nights of European football. You thought 1999 was big? Had nothing on when we played Dundalk last season.
Get used to it, you’ll still be chasing the tails of others this season

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I dont know about that - there are at least 2 threads in a Utd forum discussing it hotly right now. I dont think Pogba not turning up for training would even be noticed by other clubs.
I mean that's just patently not true, is it? Surely you know that.

Tallis

If Raiola is against the notion of contracts, he should just advise his clients to play on an appearance based approach or receive a per month salary like most of us get paid. Then he can leave at the end of each season or alternatively be terminated at the end of each season for poor performance.

Withnail

Wasn't that Seb Blatter and Ronaldo?

big rons sovereign

Meh, who cares? I honestly don't get the hype with him.
Don't get me wrong, he's a good player but 150 mil? No way.

Look at his form in the Euros, he was utter dogshit in the group's, bagged a tap in against Germany, looked half decent against the Ukrainian binmen. Then utter dogshit against decent defenders in Denmark and Italy.

Massively overrated and with ankles made of porridge to boot.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That's generally why contracts are put in place, it's why Liverpool wouldn't let Suarez go to Arsenal for 40,000,001 when he had a "gentleman's agreement".

Kane really should have known better as his employer is Daniel Levy, no sympathy here.
I'm used to entering and honouring gentleman's agreements. Not multimillion ones, sure, but multiples of 100K which is a greater order of magnitude for me than 40M for LFC/AFC.

That said, if I were at the receiving end of that piss-take 40,000,001 agreement-triggering offer I also would tell them go do one.

100m for a 28 year old with injury problems and who looks to be on the decline? I don't think Martial will ever cement the 9 position but Kane is not the answer either. It would be a huge distraction from better targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.