Kasper Schmeichel | Signs for Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmm-Qatarian

Might ruffle a few feathers but I think Kasper Schmeichel is perhaps the most overrated goalkeeper in the league right now. A lot of people still rave about him but at this stage he's basically pretty average at everything, and I'd even include shot-stopping in that. (Perhaps worth noting I do watch a fair bit of Leicester owing to my younger brother supporting them)

He's still got the odd fantastic game in him but I've thought for a while that Leicester would be smart to replace Schmeichel this summer. For what it's worth, my younger brother agrees!

dazjoe

He will be 36 in the fall, so I wonder how many seasons he actually has left at the highest level.
That's scary, I remember watching the footage of him playing with Paul Ince's son Tom before the FA Cup final in '94 when they were kids. Way to make someone feel old.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I would like having him as second choice for nostalgia's sake, only if we part ways with Dave first however.

Gandalf

By all accounts Leicester are in a pretty tight spot with finances so getting Kasper and his wages out of the door is a good move even without a fee but I would have assumed Danny Ward would just take over. I am naturally not biased being Welsh and this being a World Cup year but surely Wardy has to play every game. In all seriousness though Ward has looked a better all round keeper for a while now and has impressed in Internationals so I would have thought they would put the savings to use strengthening another area of the team unless he looks horrendous in training and I am not seeing it.

izec

We can do better. In fact, Henderson is just as good if not better, at least will be in a couple of years for sure. Dont see the point.

Marvin-ator

Comes across as really smug in interviews. Always comes running out of his goal and having a go at the referees. I can't stand him.
Ha... can't stand him? Drop the hate. You must hate 80% of the league based on this?

Lyng

Now you know exactly how I feel. Imagine being told that if you think someone is different than De Gea that means you think they are the same as Peter Schmeichel!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
De Gea and Peters styles of goalkeeping are very different. Kasper in style is much closer to Dave's than Peters, despite Peter being his father.
One might have thought he had learned the proactive traits from his father. But he clearly didn't.
Now I spelled it out for you. Hope it helped.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Schmeichel leaving shouldn't hurt Leicester at all, his distribution is poor & he is not comfortable with the ball at his feet. Part of Leicesters set piece problem is that Schmeichel very rarely comes of his line.
Apparently he is on 130 a week so ditching that would help Leicester free up some cash.

Pickle85

Second fiddle? He is twice the keeper De Gea is. Question is would Dave play second fiddle to Kasper
Another hot take, brought to you by SadlerMUFC, the man that brought you 'Maguire is the bestest defender ever!!!'

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s finished at the top level. I don’t even think he will be first choice at Nice come the end of the season

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
That's scary, I remember watching the footage of him playing with Paul Ince's son Tom before the FA Cup final in '94 when they were kids. Way to make someone feel old.
You remember stuff from the 90s? Christ how old are you grandpa?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
De Gea and Peters styles of goalkeeping are very different. Kasper in style is much closer to Dave's than Peters, despite Peter being his father.
One might have thought he had learned the proactive traits from his father. But he clearly didn't.
Now I spelled it out for you. Hope it helped.
By stating that De Gea and Peter are very different it is suggesting that I said otherwise. Besides, I thought you were done with me. Please stop trolling me

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Another hot take, brought to you by SadlerMUFC, the man that brought you 'Maguire is the bestest defender ever!!!'
Tell me once when I said or even suggested that Maguire is the best ever? Mind you, I bet he would be a hell of a lot better with a proper keeper behind him. Are you ready for some De Gea facts? Ever since his arrival at MUFC all of a sudden Rio and Vidic weren't good enough. Then Smalling and Jones weren't good enough. Then Bailly and Blind weren't good enough. Then Maguire and Lindelof weren't good enough. Then Varane and Maguire weren't good enough. Being a top keeper takes a lot more than making good YouTube videos. De Gea may be the greatest shot stopper in the world, but there is so much more to being a top keeper than making great saves and as long as he's our keeper, I won't be surprised if it turns out that Martinez isn't good enough either...

SAFMUTD

So what's the one condition? Can't find it ffs the doubt is killing me.

Lyng

By stating that De Gea and Peter are very different it is suggesting that I said otherwise. Besides, I thought you were done with me. Please stop trolling me
The only one trolling is you with your constant laugh emojis.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Tell me once when I said or even suggested that Maguire is the best ever? Mind you, I bet he would be a hell of a lot better with a proper keeper behind him. Are you ready for some De Gea facts? Ever since his arrival at MUFC all of a sudden Rio and Vidic weren't good enough. Then Smalling and Jones weren't good enough. Then Bailly and Blind weren't good enough. Then Maguire and Lindelof weren't good enough. Then Varane and Maguire weren't good enough. Being a top keeper takes a lot more than making good YouTube videos. De Gea may be the greatest shot stopper in the world, but there is so much more to being a top keeper than making great saves and as long as he's our keeper, I won't be surprised if it turns out that Martinez isn't good enough either...
I've been questioned DDG for seasons now. Back in the days when keepers could pick up back passes etc, he'd have been just fine and is a good (nowhere near best) shot-stopper, sometimes very good. But that's where it ends. He has nothing else needed by the modern-day goalkeeper. It's not even the lack of quality with the ball at his feet that worries me most: it's he doesn't even dominate the six-yard box let alone the penalty area - which should be his domain. When he does use his feet, it appears it's because he's too slow to get down and use his hands. He does make some astounding stops at times though, I'll admit that

When he does come out he does little more than semi kneels down in the hope of blocking the ball. Compare this with Peter S and Edwin VdS. DDG is nowhere near brave enough and never seems to control those in front of him. Until we admit this, we will concede goals others wouldn't

Pickle85

Ferdinand was 33 or so and vidic was 30ish when ddg arrived. Their best days were behind them. And yes, the rest of that list weren't good enough, for a variety of reasons. Ddg definitely has significant faults in his game but Kaspar has the same flaws but isn't anywhere near as good a shot stopper. To say he benches DDG is a poor take.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Ferdinand was 33 or so and vidic was 30ish when ddg arrived. Their best days were behind them. And yes, the rest of that list weren't good enough, for a variety of reasons. Ddg definitely has significant faults in his game but Kaspar has the same flaws but isn't anywhere near as good a shot stopper. To say he benches DDG is a poor take.
33 and 30 is far from past it as a central defender. I also noticed you skipped all the other players I mentioned. Gotta love agendas

Pickle85

33 and 30 is far from past it as a central defender. I also noticed you skipped all the other players I mentioned. Gotta love agendas
Not sure if you were able to read my post, but I said that the rest of the list weren't good enough. Gotta love illiteracy.

Red00012

Comes across as really smug in interviews. Always comes running out of his goal and having a go at the referees. I can't stand him.
You should probably YouTube his dad when he played ….

Acole9

Outstanding
You should probably YouTube his dad when he played ….
You should probably try reading the other posts I've done in here.

His dad was a great goalkeeper, in my opinion one of the best. Off the pitch however he's a bit of a prat too.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not sure if you were able to read my post, but I said that the rest of the list weren't good enough. Gotta love illiteracy.
Kind of makes my point doesn't it. That none of our defenders have been good enough while De Gea has been in goal. At what point do people start to realize that the problem isn't the defenders

Pickle85

Kind of makes my point doesn't it. That none of our defenders have been good enough while De Gea has been in goal. At what point do people start to realize that the problem isn't the defenders
Which of them have gone on to pull up trees elsewhere?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Was the defence not the same when Henderson was in goal?

DDG is not an issue in this team, in fact the defence is fairly resolute, they just need structure and solidity in front of them which EtH looks to be working on.

Ladron de redcafe

There's something to this. I'm not sure Pallister, or Johnson were all-time great individual defenders, but the presence of a commanding keeper makes a difference and with the Schmeichels (Peter) and Van Der Sars, good defenders look even better and awful ones look less incompetent.

Shot making is just one aspect of goalkeeping and De Gea always struck me as Casillas-lite. Incredible reflexes and shot stopping but he isn't reassuring to the defense.

Vidic and Ferdinand didn't turn crap over night. And McGuire is a much better defender than some would think. I don't think the central defenders are prime Vidic or Staam but the goalkeeper does play a role. De Gea isn't Schmeichel.

You should probably try reading the other posts I've done in here.

His dad was a great goalkeeper, in my opinion one of the best. Off the pitch however he's a bit of a prat too.
Keane talked about that in his book.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

DDG is not an issue in this team, in fact the defence is fairly resolute, they just need structure and solidity in front of them which EtH looks to be working on.
they also need solidity behind them...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

I don't think you really want to compare Henderson and De Gea. It won't work out the way you want. In 2020/21 (the only season Henderson really got some playing time with us) Henderson allowed .96 goals per 90 minutes compared to De Gea's 1.25. Henderson also had a save % of 76% while De Gea was only 67.1%. Last season De Gea was lucky enough to get the starting spot back after Henderson fell ill, and despite many saying De Gea had a good season, his goals against per 90 rose to 1.5 while his save percentage was still only 69.5%. But don't let these little facts get in the way.

Dean Henderson Stats, Goals, Records, Assists, Cups and more | FBref.com
David de Gea Stats, Goals, Records, Assists, Cups and more | FBref.com

If you really want to see how bad De Gea actually is, you should see the comparison I made with him and Romero. No wonder Romero left. He was the better keeper and couldn't get in for some odd reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.