Keane joins Sky Sports

DoomSlayer

Nice, put him together with Mourinho and Souness, I would love for Keano to give them the death stare. :lol:

dev1l

He s good at saying stupid things :).... That will make him a success at Sky

stu_1992

Damn the first year I can't actually watch Sky due to moving away and this happens. Annoying.

Greck

Ugh Keane is meant to be heard every once in a while or his personality starts grating on one as bitterness, anger or vindictiveness

Zoo

Whenever Keane speaks the rest of then will just giggle. Less analysis, more cliches.

opopop

Stick him on Soccer Saturday with Merse and the gang.

Actually put him beside Jim White on transfer deadline day..

Far better use of him than what they'll do. Sit him beside Sounness and hope Pogba smiles once so they can fume.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why are they announcing it like it’s a transfer?

El Jefe

Poor choice. Mourinho was a great signing because for the first time in a while we really can hear insightful tactical stuff from an expert.

Keane is just going to peddle the old cliches of not working hard enough that we already get enough of from Souness. Anytime I've listened to Keane as a pundit he rarely ever talks about tactics, he only ever seems to focus on individual players saying they are great or shite.

It will get boring very quickly.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I thought he saw himself too good for punditry ?

Poor choice. Mourinho was a great signing because for the first time in a while we really can hear insightful tactical stuff from an expert.

Keane is just going to peddle the old cliches of not working hard enough that we already get enough of from Souness. Anytime I've listened to Keane as a pundit he rarely ever talks about tactics, he only ever seems to focus on individual players saying they are great or shite.

Agree.You're not going to get anything insightful from Keane. As you say,he's just going to revert to throwing out simple minded opinions.
The Roy Keane says it how it is brigade will love it,though.

Last edited:

opopop

There's plenty of people who will tune in so Keane can "tell it like it is" Some will be more interested in him having a dig at Mourinho or someone else than the actual game.

Great. Another pundit with the tactical insight of a goldfish.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Sky's 'biggest ever season of football'? I'm sure they said that last season.

And it was factually 'bigger' when they had CL and La Liga rights. With Amazon getting a few games, it might actually be their 'smallest' season in a while.

Roy Keane will get them some headlines though. They know what they're doing. BTs panel of talking heads is bland. The only headlines they create is how utterly boring they are. Sky seem to be going the opposite way.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Overrated pundit. Agree with the above, not a huge level of tactical knowledge which is pretty scary when you consider he managed for quite a few years and also captained one of the English great club sides for many years. Just throws in the lazy disdain comments about one or both teams and people lap it up. Compare it to Mourinho for all his personal faults is a brilliant tactical analysis pundit, would be good to have him in for a Monday night game when they have more time to look at weekend games.

Also has this wierd thing with keepers "keeper should've done better there" when 30 yard strike flies into top corner. No wonder Schmiechel decked him. :lol:

Thought he'd been signed by Sky already as he's been on a few Super Sunday editions. Does ITV but that's only 4-5 times a season.

Champagne Football

With Jose, his endless childish digs get masked as insightful analysis, because he delivers them in a warm loving smiling way. Some fall for it. Many don't.

There was the Manchester City B team dig - A dig at Utd for not having the right structure. The dig as to how he was not given the support Klopp and Pep got. Endless digs as to how the mess at Utd was never his fault. Yet the facts clearly state otherwise. I find it grating even though he can be entertaining. But with Jose everything he says, is an attempt to blame everyone but himself, but its always delivered with that infamous Mother Teresa demeanor which many fall for.

With Jose, his endless childish digs get masked as by insightful analysis, because he delivers them in a warm loving smiling way. Some fall for it. Many don't.

There was the Manchester City B team dig - A dig at Utd for not having the right structure. The dig as to how he was not given the support Klopp and Pep got. Endless digs as to how the mess at Utd was never his fault. Yet the facts clearly state otherwise. I find it grating even though he can be entertaining. But with Jose everything he says, is an attempt to blame everyone but himself, but its always delivered with that infamous Mother Teresa demeanor which many fall for.
Corrected you there. Mourinho has many personal faults and loves to get a dig in, but there is no denying he is one of the top footballing minds in the history of the game. It comes across loud and clear when he's sat next to Souness, Redknapp & co.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
No need to insult goldfish. But this is terrible. The beauty with Keane is his angry face and negativity which is fine once in a while. Too much of him and you will grow tired of him real quick.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People being way harsh on Keane here. He's a decent pundit... Sure he doesn't go too tactical but he will call out mistakes that players make and also be blunt with who is good enough and who isn't.

You don't need every pundit to go deep into tactics.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Good news.

You guys need to realize that there's hardly much punditry happening on these shows anyway. All these "insights" are usually things fans just wanna hear or stuff fans get pissed at with the single goal of generating clicks, likes and views.

Talking about the pros and cons of a formation for instance is never talked of, instead "X manager played Y player. Look at his attitude! This is why he lost!" Garry is the best at this, he knows how to get the fans reaction and stay relevant.

Which is why Keane will be a great addition. Entertainment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Keane is very entertaining in small doses. More than that and his lack of insight and nuance sees his punditry begin to wear.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wait, wasn't Roy Keane the heartbeat of the most successful team in our history, not mention the leader who excelled in organising us on the pitch? How can a midfielder than good at controlling the game be tactically useless?

Maybe he's out of touch with the modern game or not eloquent or interested in 'progressive' 21st century tactics, but I find it hard to believe that one of the great central midfielders of his generation knows squat about tactics.

Anyway, it also has to be said that despite what caf football professors believe, everything isn't a result of tactics. The players themselves and the mentality of the managers and players also makes an impact. Although granted tactics are more important in today's game

Dante

Average bang
Mourinho's tactical insights are no better than Neville, Carragher or Rio's. Jose simply uses hipsters terminology to get viewers moist. A 'low block' is the same thing as 'sitting deep'.

Unlike Jose et al, Roy Keane will never hold back. And he has no qualms about burning all his bridges for the sake of telling of truth.

TV 'experts' rarely tell me anything I don't already know from decades of playing and watching. They're entertainers there to say interesting things, tactical or otherwise. Keane is amongst the best at that.

Dante

Average bang
Wait, wasn't Roy Keane the heartbeat of the most successful team in our history, not mention the leader who excelled in organising us on the pitch? How can a midfielder than good at controlling the game be tactically useless?

Maybe he's out of touch with the modern game or not eloquent or interested in 'progressive' 21st century tactics, but I find it hard to believe that one of the great central midfielders of his generation knows squat about tactics.

Anyway, it also has to be said that despite what caf football professors believe, everything isn't a result of tactics. The players themselves and the mentality of the managers and players also makes an impact. Although granted tactics are more important in today's game
Excellent points.

Art Vandelay

Exactly. It could also be that his understanding of tactics is so natural and common sense to him that he isn't the best at communicating those thoughts because he thinks they are things people should automatically understand. Sometimes you get that with people that are really good at their job, they don't realise other people don't know anywhere near as much as they do.

Which wouldn't make him the best of pundits, but if Sky were paying pundits to offer insight or tactical understanding then Redknapp would not be there. Keane is there to entertain and he does that very well.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I like how they're making it sound exciting.
Sky will now be telling Keane to play up to his caricature and get angry about little things and how different it would have been in his day.
It will be horrible to watch.

A young Roy Keane would be embarrassed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Exactly. It could also be that his understanding of tactics is so natural and common sense to him that he isn't the best at communicating those thoughts because he thinks they are things people should automatically understand. Sometimes you get that with people that are really good at their job, they don't realise other people don't know anywhere near as much as they do.

Which wouldn't make him the best of pundits, but if Sky were paying pundits to offer insight or tactical understanding then Redknapp would not be there. Keane is there to entertain and he does that very well.
That's a good point. Reckon that does happen. Scholes is another - surely tactically he's extremely intelligent. His football brain was evidently incredible. But he's obviously not articulate. Or maybe I'm wrong in his regard and he was just someone who got the playing part bang on but didn't bother with tactics. Keane though I'd expect to given he was an organiser.

As for entertainment, I agree. If Keane is half as interesting on Sky as he was in that interview then it'll be brilliant. Really really enjoyed listening to him. But you'd have to let him off the leash and speak freely to get that.