Keane joins Sky Sports

cyberman

And nobody decides a person ‘hates’ a player more often than a child on Redcafe who cannot get someone else to agree with him.
Is that what you think this is? Getting people to agree with you?
Use your logic in this thread and reiterate why Pogba is better thsn Scholes. See how this makes sense..
You do make it up as you go along, lets be honest

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is that what you think this is? Getting people to agree with you?
Use your logic in this thread and reiterate why Pogba is better thsn Scholes. See how this makes sense..
You do make it up as you go along, lets be honest
No. I discussed that in the thread where I discussed that, if you want to read it, go back and read it. Not every thread has to be a Paul Pogba show.

And I just say what I see. This place is like debating with Scholes’ and Giggs’ mothers when it comes to them. I’m able to love Scholes as a player without agreeing with his primary school teachers on here that he was the best midfielder ever. I love him regardless. As I do Giggs. And Scholes was a better player than Giggs was. As was Beckham. There have been much better wide players than Giggs in the last 20 years. He had great balance and close control, could turn a defender inside out, but if he got the absolute maximum out of that - well I’d have just described fecking Messi.

Ludens the Red

Oh feck off. This whole conversation began because two ex-footballers could not come to the same Redcafe consensus that Giggs was better than Mané, it’s not pie in the sky. One of the ex-footballers in question also put forward ‘loyalty to my teammates’ as his argument as to why Giggs was better.
Looks like to me you are doing the whole opposite of nostalgia thing that a lot of football fans nowadays do. Where everything from yesteryear is downplayed and deemed to not be at the level of something current and overstating something from the modern day.

You keep saying Giggs wasn’t great every year but Mane hasn’t been either. He’s obviously a top player but this idea you’re pushing that he’s been breathtaking every season is nonsense. I’ve got a mate who’s a Liverpool fan who up until last season would regularly comment on how inconsistent mane was. Reflected in his earlier goal tallies too. Mane isn’t putting in 10/10 performances most weeks.

I get it , Liverpool’s league form results wise is incredible but that doesn’t equate to all their players or performances being incredible every week, there is actually a middle ground, for example I’d argue Firmino was better pre this ridiculous league run. Salah too was better before this run.

Numbers wise this is a great Liverpool team but from a purely footballing standpoint they are a lot of sides who previously produced lesser numbers but are significantly better footballing wise than Liverpool and that goes for a lot of the players too. I don’t get why people can’t fathom or accept this.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I love that Carragher’s new profile pic on Twitter is Keane’s disgust.

padzilla

Hipster
Keane seems to have forgotten that Liverpool under Klopp invented football and everything beforehand is irrelevant. The fact this is the weakest Premier League season for decades is a complete coincidence.

Hoof the ball

Regarding Mane vs Giggs, it absolutely must be stressed that Giggs' role in a 4-4-2 throughout his prime as a traditional winger is in no way comparable to Mane's role in a 4-3-3 as a forward with much less defensive responsibility and far more positional convenience in terms of placing him in favourable scoring opportunities.

Removing Mane from his present context, placing him in the historical context of Giggs' role in the 4-4-2, he will without a doubt find his favourable statistics affected, especially in terms of goals. It is simply unavoidable when accounting for the increased defensive work-load.

Giggs never played, in his prime, in a modern 4-3-3 as a forward.
Mane doesn't play, in his prime, in a traditional 4-4-2 as a wide midfielder/winger.

There, unfortunately, will never be a reasonable debate to be had for the above reasons.

Irwin99

Probably the wrong thread and I know it's been said a billion times in the past few years but his passing was so crisp and composed. I watched an old game of United vs Real in 2000 (away) and his passing was so sharp and quick. So many of our players gave the ball away cheaply at times in the match but he was the one exception.

I know LVG was a big fan of Keane but I wonder if he was playing nowadays if another possession based manager would just sit him in the midfield and let him dictate games rather than being a box to box and doing a bit of everything like he did under Fergie.

clarkydaz

Probably the wrong thread and I know it's been said a billion times in the past few years but his passing was so crisp and composed. I watched an old game of United vs Real in 2000 (away) and his passing was so sharp and quick. So many of our players gave the ball away cheaply at times in the match but he was the one exception.

I know LVG was a big fan of Keane but I wonder if he was playing nowadays if another possession based manager would just sit him in the midfield and let him dictate games rather than being a box to box and doing a bit of everything like he did under Fergie.
theres a youtube comp of one of his last games against Bolton away. Even on his last legs its shocking how better he is than everyone

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
theres a youtube comp of one of his last games against Bolton away. Even on his last legs its shocking how better he is than everyone
Watch one of his last matches away to Liverpool back in 2005. He was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch and he was 34-years-old at the time.

The best midfielder the Premier League has ever seen.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Watch one of his last matches away to Liverpool back in 2005. He was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch and he was 34-years-old at the time.

Love how Keane always looked for the forward pass instead of sideways.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Sky Sports should give him a puppy to sit with every time he’s on with Jamie Carragher.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Agree with what?

The discussion was about one season isolated. Not the entire career of the the two...

Mane win this purely because the discussion is about Giggs in 99'. He played "only" 1.722min that season compared to his usual 2200-2500min.

He wasnt that great and was often benched for Blomqvist. He scored 3goals in the prem.
Mane clearly wins, but this a stupid discussion.

Overall its a different case
I’m sorry but this is bollocks.

Giggs scored 10 in 41 in the Treble season, including 5 in 9 in Europe, which is where he typically tended to catch fire during that period.

Ferguson was ahead of his time in many areas, including rotation, and played Blomqvist a fair bit to ensure Giggs was good to go in other games.

Josh 76

This actually was his last game for Utd. At the time, it just seemed an average Roy Keane performance (which it probably was compared to his own standards) but feck me, he would be man of the match every game for Utd now if he played like this.

thepolice123

Such a great player. Crisp passes and always made the right decision with the ball. You can't help but wonder there's definitely an intelligence and appreciation of the game more than he actually protrays himself to be.

The way he talks about football in talk shows is a stark contrast to his actual playing style. He's always banging on about hard running, work-rate and desire.

Josh 76

Such a great player. Crisp passes and always made the right decision with the ball. You can't help but wonder there's definitely an intelligence and appreciation of the game more than he actually protrays himself to be.

The way he talks about football in talk shows is a stark contrast to his actual playing style. He's always banging on about hard running, work-rate and desire.
Good point
Maybe that side of the game came so naturally to him, he didn't realise just how great he was.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He bangs on about hard running, work-rate and desire because he made it to where he did by spending every minute on the pitch running hard, having a high work-rate and showing more desire than anyone out there. Nowhere in any of his punditry will he claim hard work will make you the best midfielder in the league, on the other hand though not working hard will 100% make you not the best. Keane had the talent to boot to make him the best, some players don't. There is nothing those players can do about having the skill or not, there is no reason for Keane to criticise someone when they are doing their best. On the other hand players with the talent who refuse to do the bare minimum of working hard deserve the criticism. Running hard, work-rate, and desire are bare minimums for Keane. If you can't even show desire on the pitch then you're useless. Not everyone can play a pinpoint 50 yard ball, but everyone can close down a man or track a runner. There is no excuse for not doing the basics.

Andersonson

I’m sorry but this is bollocks.

Giggs scored 10 in 41 in the Treble season, including 5 in 9 in Europe, which is where he typically tended to catch fire during that period.

Ferguson was ahead of his time in many areas, including rotation, and played Blomqvist a fair bit to ensure Giggs was good to go in other games.
Bollocks? It was the season Giggs played the least of his career due to Poor form.

You clearly dont remember Giggs in 99'

Yagami

Good post resistant
Mane is not as good as Giggs but better than Beckham, so he does make a combined XI, but on the right.

Salah is a better player than Yorke ever was.
This is mental to me.

Beckham circa 99-01 was on another level to both Giggs and Mané.

Yorke in 99 had one of the best seasons I've ever seen an individual player have for United. Better than any Liverpool or United attacker out of said teams.

I reckon you were either born after 99 or are too young to remember anything about the team.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Beckham circa 99-01 was on another level to both Giggs and Mané.

Yorke in 99 had one of the best seasons I've ever seen an individual player have for United. Better than any Liverpool or United attacker out of said teams.
You think that Yorke and Beckham in 1999 played better football than Salah in 2017/18?

Also, I have always rated Giggs higher than Beckham - just a superior player overall IMO.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You think that Yorke and Beckham in 1999 played better football than Salah in 2017/18?

Also, I have always rated Giggs higher than Beckham - just a superior player overall IMO.
I wouldn’t swap any players out of that 99 team for any modern player. They were just on a different level that season, something just clicked. Beckham was telepathic with Yorke and Cole that year.

Denis' cuff

The 20 year thing is a skewed metric, because one player is like 50 and one is 26. You are again air-brushing by implying Giggs maintained a consistent level for 20 seasons. He didn’t. Mané’s level are Southampton; that had United and Liverpool after him, was not worse than Giggs has ever played either. You say ‘2 or 3 peak seasons’ as if what has happened is that he then became rubbish and signed for AZ Alkmaar. This is where we are now. No player has to be great for 20 seasons to be considered as good/better than Giggs. That isn’t the metric, it’s a silly goalpost, a player doesn’t have to play for 20 seasons to be judged.

I agree that Giggs was more naturally talented than Mané. I don’t agree that he used that natural talent to become a better player. And if so, I again ask ‘when’? And if the answer is ‘when he retired after being a footballer for 23 years’, it again highlights it as a stupid metric. Mané may not have played for 20 years, but what he has done, at least since he came to England, is been a top player for the vast majority of his career here.

It’s similar to the Gary Neville argument. Where everyone consistently says he basically wasn’t that good, but he gets plaudits for being good but not that god for a long time. Giggs played for the best team in England for 20 years and never had to move etc. I can’t recall many seasons where I can say he drove us to the title. He flitted in and out as he felt in terms of brilliance and rubbishness, but picked up titles all the way because he was in the best team. When he was 26, and had not played for 23 years and therefore wasn’t judged from that perspective, he was not considered by anyone as the best player in the team or league. I can say the same for 27, 28, 29 right up to 40. Then boom, he retires and is the best winger ever. For being old. He was a flawed genius. Ronaldo game along and in a few years showed what he COULD have been. Hazard came along later and showed it again. Giggs is a PL great. Every United regular from that era is. Because they won lots of trophies.

And it’s not about Giggs not being the best player in the league. I didn’t mention strikers, I’m solely tal of wingers. In his 23 year spell in the PL for the team that won it most years, he made the team of the season 6 times. He never won the award of best player, but the other winger did a number of times - Ginola, Ronaldo, Pires. These players were all in the team of the season between 3 and 4 times I think, and spent far fewer years of their careers in the PL. Bale made it twice, and he’s been in Spain most of his career. And was voted the best player. As a winger.

You’re overrating the player he was, and perhaps confusing it or creating a cocktail where natural talent, longevity, trophies are all mixed together to create an outcome, but the reality is he may have been one of the most gifted PL players ever, but he wasn’t one of the best. And he should have been.
aye up, Robbie Savage is back.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This actually was his last game for Utd. At the time, it just seemed an average Roy Keane performance (which it probably was compared to his own standards) but feck me, he would be man of the match every game for Utd now if he played like this.
Nope.
His last game did involve a game against Liverpool but he went off injured, plus we were playing in blue.
Liverpool 0-0 Man Utd 2005/06

Last edited:

rotherham_red

His last ever game for us was him absolutely bossing prime Gerrard and giving him a footballing lesson. He barely had a hipbone at that point.

Behind only Redondo for me in terms of all-round midfield brilliance in his era, and if we're being honest Keane probably edges Redondo in terms of consistency.

thepolice123

TBF its not entirely outlandish to suggest that Yorke in 98/99 was as good as Salah in 17/18. He was topscorer in the league and PL player of the season. In the CL he scored practically against every European giants - Bayern, Barcelona, Inter, Juventus. Our last goal against Juventus was entirely him beating two defenders by himself. He also scored the equaliser.

Irwin99

“Is the ball moving?”

Keane: “of course it’s moving, someone just kicked it. He’s not a good goalkeeper”

:lol:

lsd

The Oracle
“Is the ball moving?”

Keane: “of course it’s moving, someone just kicked it. He’s not a good goalkeeper”

:lol:

Keane is awesome and as ever can't really argue with what he says