Keane joins Sky Sports

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You're not one of those fans who think Keane is a prime Mike Tyson are you? Keane is and was a bully who relied on intimidation. No surprise he'd back down from a fight against a bigger player as a football manager as it'd be completely ridiculous

And yes I've heard a Everton season ticket holders say Big Dunc bullied Keane physically and Keane backed down. Given Dunc bullied everyone physically including doing prison time and picking up Ince and tossing him to the floor like a ragdoll it wouldn't be at all surprising

Also if Gary Neville can hold you back you probably weren't as up for a fight as some may believe
Oh you've heard an..Everton supporter say it have you.
Must be true then.

Keane didn't back down.
He'd take the vieiras of the world on. That's a guy double his size.

Any idea he picked his targets carefully is totally wrong.
He was a boxer himself and a tough guy. Obviously he's by nowhere near invincible in the "real" world. But i don't think a scuffle with john walters would scare him. If it did he wouldn't be mouthing off about him now, when it's pretty clearly a small industry.

cyberman

You're not one of those fans who think Keane is a prime Mike Tyson are you? Keane is and was a bully who relied on intimidation. No surprise he'd back down from a fight against a bigger player as a football manager as it'd be completely ridiculous

And yes I've heard a Everton season ticket holders say Big Dunc bullied Keane physically and Keane backed down. Given Dunc bullied everyone physically including doing prison time and picking up Ince and tossing him to the floor like a ragdoll it wouldn't be at all surprising

Also if Gary Neville can hold you back you probably weren't as up for a fight as some may believe
Keane bullied everyone for feck sake. It's not UFC out there.

SirAF

Ageist
Must be true then.

Keane didn't back down.

He was a boxer himself and a tough guy. Obviously he's by nowhere near invincible in the "real" world. But i don't think a scuffle with john walters would scare him. If it did he wouldn't be mouthing off about him now, when it's pretty clearly a small industry.
Imagine Keane being scared of fecking Walters :lol: The man grew up in Cork!

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Must be true then.

Keane didn't back down.

Ahh so you are one of those misguided souls who thinks Roy Keane was Mike Tyson. He could successfully mouth off at Vieira, Keane himself admits Vieira would easily beat him in a real fight. Fouling someone on a football pitch is not the same as fighting. Most footballers have had very few actual fights in their adult lives and they know full well anything happening on a football pitch leaves them protected by officials. Going to boxing as a kid doesn't change that. I was an amateur boxer it doesn't mean you take anyone on at any time.

And yes Big Dunc would have easily ragdolled Keane and most probably did

Imagine Keane being scared of fecking Walters :lol: The man grew up in Cork!
Another one confusing footballers with fighters. But obviously if he grew up in Cork.........

Reactions: SteveJ

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ahh so you are one of those misguided souls who thinks Roy Keane was Mike Tyson. He could successfully mouth off at Vieira, Keane himself admits Vieira would easily beat him in a real fight. Fouling someone on a football pitch is not the same as fighting. Most footballers have had very few actual fights in their adult lives and they know full well anything happening on a football pitch leaves them protected by officials. Going to boxing as a kid doesn't change that. I was an amateur boxer it doesn't mean you take anyone on at any time.

Another one confusing footballers with fighters. But obviously if he grew up in Cork.........

:lol:

opopop

What’s so great about Walters? Is he a Terminator?
He's taller and a few years younger than Keane. I'd say Walters would have hurt him alright.

I actually think it was less backing down but more that Keane had enough sense not to actually start scrapping in the office.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's taller and a few years younger than Keane. I'd say Walters would have hurt him alright.
Being taller doesn't make someone a fighter, not to mention it is only 2 inches. Keane was a highly rated boxer in his youth so unless Walters was too then Keane would take him easily.

The second part is the crux of it though. Not punching staff and opponents left and right isn't backing down or being a pussy it is simply not being an idiot as it'd only bring long suspensions and jail time.

opopop

Being taller doesn't make someone a fighter, not to mention it is only 2 inches. Keane was a highly rated boxer in his youth so unless Walters was too then Keane would take him easily.

The second part is the crux of it though. Not punching staff and opponents left and right isn't backing down or being a pussy it is simply not being an idiot as it'd only bring long suspensions and jail time.
Well ya I meant taller as in I'd imagine he'd have a longer reach then. I wouldn't guess Walters would be weak either and as been mentioned he would have been in better physical condition than him at the time. But I could be wrong of course.

Really all of that is a bit childish and pointless when as you said not fighting is just not being an idiot. I would think both of them have enough sense in the moment to not throw a punch (which looks like they did) everything else around it is just their pride.

I had to laugh at the "I'll meet you at your house for a scrap" part. Feckin clowns the both of them.

iHicksy

Is it just me that finds discussing if grown men could "take each other" on a football forum a little cringey? I know it's kind of on topic because of their perceived hardman images but it just sounds really childish to start talking about how one was a boxer and look where he grew up, it's like being at school. My dad could beat up your dad!

opopop

Is it just me that finds discussing if grown men could "take each other" on a football forum a little cringey? I know it's kind of on topic because of their perceived hardman images but it just sounds really childish to start talking about how one was a boxer and look where he grew up, it's like being at school. My dad could beat up your dad!
It is a bit cringey alright.

Though my dad once had a boxer dog so he could beat up any dad.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It is a little bit, but it's revisionism that annoys a lot of us. And people, always rival fans trying to downplay Keane as some sort of bully who picked his targets very carefully(perhaps like a robbie savage) needs picking up on

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Keane was one of the last proper hardmen. There's plenty of ex pros who have said he was one who could take it and give it.
Whats a Hardman? Keane is a myth. People act like he is an actual fighter. He was a 5'9 160lb man. Plenty of men who played against him could beat him up physically if it came to it. And he will become really tiresome on sky with his negativity

poleglass red

Poor choice. Mourinho was a great signing because for the first time in a while we really can hear insightful tactical stuff from an expert.

Keane is just going to peddle the old cliches of not working hard enough that we already get enough of from Souness. Anytime I've listened to Keane as a pundit he rarely ever talks about tactics, he only ever seems to focus on individual players saying they are great or shite.

It will get boring very quickly.

you don't get enough time as a pundit on these shows to give a tactical analysis. For that last game v West Ham there was 4 pundits. Jose certainly didn't give a tactical breakdown. The only way you get that is when they go on those shows that do a one on one breakdown of the game and most of the time it's dragged out bollicks to fill time slot. Football is not rocket science, we aren't good enough and we don't work hard enough. We need better players and a football identity.

SteveTheRed

Keane wasn't a hardman, but he was always willing to throw himself into the thick of it. Viera and other may well have battered him in a "fight" but Keane still was up for it. That's the show of character that intimidated a lot of players.

Gearbox Paddy

Do you have a source for that chavvy?

Had a look on Wikipedia and couldn’t find anything.

Falcow

Keane never ever backed down from the only place that mattered - the fight to win the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irwin99

You look at the guys he's had run ins with and they're hardly little full backs or small number 10s. It's Patrick Vieira, Shearer, Haaland, Mick McCarthy etc. All blokes who can handle themselves. Read a quote by Stefan Effenburg the other day saying how Keane was always fair but Beckham was a nasty little player to play against. Patrick Vieria said the same.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Keane was one of the last proper hardmen. There's plenty of ex pros who have said he was one who could take it and give it.
I remember him having a go and getting sent off against Shearer - just as well he got sent off, my moneys on Shearer

padzilla

Hipster
Must be true then.

Keane didn't back down.

I had the misfortune of watching some online cringe fest of Walters mouthing off about Keane not being a hardman and he was not afraid of him. Steve Sidwell was laughing along in a show that seems to be aiming to make the likes of Soccer AM seem like Question Time in comparison. It looked like it was aimed at people who use the word "bantz".

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I had the misfortune of watching some online cringe fest of Walters mouthing off about Keane not being a hardman and he was not afraid of him. Steve Sidwell was laughing along in a show that seems to be aiming to make the likes of Soccer AM seem like Question Time in comparison. It looked like it was aimed at people who use the word "bantz".
Just as the more years that pass, the weaker that team Fergie left Moyes becomes, the more years since Keane retired, the less of a tough guy he becomes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’d find these videos funny if they weren’t about to win the league.
We're in September, and they hold a 5 point lead over the best team the Premier league has seen in 20 years.
And either way, Carragher and Stevie Hollywood never won one, and can never win one. So it doesn't change that.

pablotatt

We're in September, and they hold a 5 point lead over the best team the Premier league has seen in 20 years.
And either way, Carragher and Stevie Hollywood never won one, and can never win one. So it doesn't change that.
In the past decade.

TrustInOle

There is something mildly comforting about that thought :drool:

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
I find it funny when people talk about intimidation on a football pitch like there’s a high chance of an actual fight breaking out on the pitch. If a 5’8” player gets in the face of a 6’4” player what’s gonna happen? Nothing is the answer.

SuperiorXI

I find it funny when people talk about intimidation on a football pitch like there’s a high chance of an actual fight breaking out on the pitch. If a 5’8” player gets in the face of a 6’4” player what’s gonna happen? Nothing is the answer.
Makes me laugh all this hard man shite. If Carragher gave it Roy back last week, what would Roy have done? Nowt

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Any great tactical analysis from him in his Sky games this season? Pub I watvh the Sunday games in usually has the sound turned down for some reason so can't hear/spared the wisdom.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Any great tactical analysis from him in his Sky games this season? Pub I watvh the Sunday games in usually has the sound turned down for some reason so can't hear/spared the wisdom.
Some tactical but a lot of psychological analysis too, about how you handle yourself on the pitch, what you owe the United shirt when you play for them, what a leader needs to show and do. I thought he was absolutely mint on Sky last night and I could listen to him talk for hours. He was talking about the responsibility players need to take for themselves, and that you need strong characters to succeed anywhere in life. He spoke very well about United and for me he will always be one of my favourite United players, loved listening to him last night.

Keano :keano: