Keane joins Sky Sports

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Some tactical but a lot of psychological analysis too, about how you handle yourself on the pitch, what you owe the United shirt when you play for them, what a leader needs to show and do. I thought he was absolutely mint on Sky last night and I could listen to him talk for hours. He was talking about the responsibility players need to take for themselves, and that you need strong characters to succeed anywhere in life. He spoke very well about United and for me he will always be one of my favourite United players, loved listening to him last night.

Keano :keano:
Basically the same shite he says every time.

Leanshig

Football is a simple game, you can garnish it with language and tactics, but the fundamentals never change.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He was very defensive and supportive of Solskjaer.
he did seem to be saying, however, that the players don't seem to understand what Ole wants of them (or that Ole was making it clear). Kept saying Clough and SAF made things very simple which meant he understood what was wanted of him

MUFC OK

he did seem to be saying, however, that the players don't seem to understand what Ole wants of them (or that Ole was making it clear). Kept saying Clough and SAF made things very simple which meant he understood what was wanted of him
Was that in relation to specific tactical patterns of play though or just in terms of standards the players set with their attitude, etc. He certainly didn't divulge many tactical instructions that were said to him and more went down the line that the great players he played with set standards for themselves.

Talking about not giving the ball away, never being satisfied, working for the team and not letting the manager down were the messages that came through. Obviously the game has moved on but its well known that Fergie told his teams 'entertain me' and such.

My point being that whilst our plan at present isn't evident, some on here throw a lot of weight on tactics. I think LVG was the most through tactical manager you could imagine, almost too many instructions, but I ultimately think it is the players that dont have idea for us at the moment, whereas top players will find solutions without the manager having to drill it into them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He seemed very relaxed and calm last night which was great to see. Usually he’s got an angry scowl going on but he was much more open and honest which I liked. No agenda.

obviously ole is his pal but he’s no fool, he knows ole has a big job on his hands here.

MUFC OK

Football is a simple game, you can garnish it with language and tactics, but the fundamentals never change.
Spot on. Good players playing with good players should be fun. We have moved so far along the americanisation of statistics and tactical approaches which apparently has to be set out in detail by one man and executed by the players (who would be nothing with them), that all of the talk is about Ole's tactical ineptness.

None of the great players we have had from our period of domination strike me as having sensational tactical nous or the like from hearing them talk. We lack creativity and off the ball movement clearly but I think the 'tactically inept' talk is overstated.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
He and Carra were good together, both honest and offered a different insight to what we'd normally here from the likes of Shearer, Jenas, Murphy etc.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Was that in relation to specific tactical patterns of play though or just in terms of standards the players set with their attitude, etc. He certainly didn't divulge many tactical instructions that were said to him and more went down the line that the great players he played with set standards for themselves.

Talking about not giving the ball away, never being satisfied, working for the team and not letting the manager down were the messages that came through. Obviously the game has moved on but its well known that Fergie told his teams 'entertain me' and such.

My point being that whilst our plan at present isn't evident, some on here throw a lot of weight on tactics. I think LVG was the most through tactical manager you could imagine, almost too many instructions, but I ultimately think it is the players that dont have idea for us at the moment, whereas top players will find solutions without the manager having to drill it into them.
totally agree with your final paragraph and about LVG. With Moyes, I always go the idea that even he didn't know what he was talking about, let alone the players! But I fear Ole just doesn't have the nous for the PL, that said, as you mention top top players (like Keane) don't ned to be told much

pascell

Some tactical but a lot of psychological analysis too, about how you handle yourself on the pitch, what you owe the United shirt when you play for them, what a leader needs to show and do. I thought he was absolutely mint on Sky last night and I could listen to him talk for hours. He was talking about the responsibility players need to take for themselves, and that you need strong characters to succeed anywhere in life. He spoke very well about United and for me he will always be one of my favourite United players, loved listening to him last night.

What I've said all season that our current crop of players lack, severely lack actually and that's why we're in this predicament with most of our squad.

MUFC OK

totally agree with your final paragraph and about LVG. With Moyes, I always go the idea that even he didn't know what he was talking about, let alone the players! But I fear Ole just doesn't have the nous for the PL, that said, as you mention top top players (like Keane) don't ned to be told much
I think there's a lot to be said for working as a team, covering for each other, not letting ego's or 'star players' develop. There's obviously also a need for in-game intelligence, players don't have to even be friends but if they understand how to make space for one another and to exploit that then they barely even need to talk. I think we severely lack such intelligence.

I honestly think that the ceiling of what this group can achieve is the better times we experienced under Jose.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Probably explains why he was such a great captain but a shit manager. As a captain he "only" really had to focus on the psychology and getting his team through games whereas as a manager you have to not only be tactically switched on but be very good at managing personalities, which he seems to be stuck in the medieval ages on both, especially the latter.

lsd

The Oracle
Loved his bit about Sir Alex on Monday night . Was clear how much respect he still has for him as a manager and interesting to hear his take on why Clough and Sir Alex were great managers because thry had to ability to say what was right when it was right

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Keane doesn’t seem to understand that Brazilians are culturally very different from Brits.

LJJT

Get him involved in the coaching. Even if it’s just a Friday to get the players fired up. Would love him to be involved

Jericholyte2

He was really funny, just go get Kane.. what you looking at?
He’s 100% right though. It won’t be easy and will cost a ton, but if they seriously want to fix the most important weakness in this team, they’d do that. If Spurs keep having a shocking season go to Levy with £200-250m and challenge him to reject it.

Thepinhead

Great stuff from Roy Keane. It is refreshing to have someone who looks at football in a simpel way. So many are trying to complicate things too much.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Keanosauros losing his mind because players were hugging and kissing before the 'war'. Let it go grandpa, the game has changed. We're not living in your era anymore.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
If a poster made a thread saying. Just go and get Kane. Striker problem solved. He would be ridiculed and the thread may even be deleted.
I'm still not 100% sure whether he was taking the piss out of Souness' argument, or making a point about our lack of ambition in the market...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just go and get Kane :lol:

Even if he was 1% being serious, it came just after G Nev had said how we won very little with arguably our best out and out striker in living memory in Van Nistelrooy.

Even with Kane we'd barely create jack.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
I'm still not 100% sure whether he was taking the piss out of Souness' argument, or making a point about our lack of ambition in the market...
I'm not either. He is hard man to read. But he does have simplistic view on football. So I would lean towards him being serious.

He’s not wrong.
Reminds me of Henry saying he didn't understand how England internationals didn't greet each other in the tunnel and approach it like war. I just don't think entering the pitch angry or view it as war will improve your play. But it's typical English mentality where perception of passion win you fans