Keane joins Sky Sports

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Whilst it is a bit outdated/daft to get annoyed at people for hugging in the tunnel .... I do still get a bit of an old-school kick out of Keane's mentality, and his refusal to change.

fergiesarmy1

I'm not either. He is hard man to read. But he does have simplistic view on football. So I would lean towards him being serious.

Reminds me of Henry saying he didn't understand how England internationals didn't greet each other in the tunnel and approach it like war. I just don't think entering the pitch angry or view it as war will improve your play. But it's typical English mentality where perception of passion win you fans
Give me the Keane/viera tunnel build up everyday over kissing and hugging the opposition. If that makes me a dinosaur then I’ll get over it.

arthurka

I get what Keane is getting at, your biggest rival you shouldn´t be doing this shit before a game. You could do that shit all night long after the game.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'm not either. He is hard man to read. But he does have simplistic view on football. So I would lean towards him being serious.

Reminds me of Henry saying he didn't understand how England internationals didn't greet each other in the tunnel and approach it like war. I just don't think entering the pitch angry or view it as war will improve your play. But it's typical English mentality where perception of passion win you fans
Nobody said you have to be angry.

United Vs Liverpool and they are all necking in the tunnel. Ridiculous.

Henderson and Young ignored each other at least.

Oggmonster

Maybe it is perception but I was in the concourse just before kick off and plenty of people said the same as Keane (not aware of what he's said either as it was on United's in house channel not sky sports.) I think it is a bit daft when players do it, maybe it is a dated opinion or whatever but especially in games like yesterday just doesn't seem that hard to wait to hug your mate.

The Kane stuff he's pretty obviously saying it tongue in cheek to, I'm sure he's aware it's not dead easy to just go and sign Tottenham's best player. he's even smiling when he's saying it.

I think whenever I see these pundit threads (this one, Neville one for example) people just want to get annoyed. There was complaints for years how dull MOTD pundits were and still are. Keane, Jose, Carragher, Neville all have personality and whilst they may have some controversial statements it's entertaining to watch, not everything has to be in depth analysis it can be refreshing to hear the likes of Keane even if he is playing up to it.

elánius

Keane is hard to get used to, but at least he is some fresh air inside today's political correctness everywhere. He has strong opinions and he is not afraid to express them. Some pundits speak for minutes but they doesnt say anything, they are just circling around and wasting some time. Gary Neville is that kind of pundit to be honest.

Btw I kind of agree, because if you act like this before the game, rivality is only a theathre for people who pay for it. On the other hand, its just a football and you dont need to hate Hednerson (but you should :-)) to defeat him or fight him on the pitch with all your heart. And I definitely afree that Origi was fouled.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Roy Keane can do no wrong.

andy dufresne

I would sooner listen to Roy Keane than the vast majority of the pundits or should I say,the pundits who are like sheep and agree with each other whatever the subject and topic are.He is the type of individual that says what he sees and doesn't give a toss what folk think of him. I like that as I am the same !

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Keanosauros losing his mind because players were hugging and kissing before the 'war'. Let it go grandpa, the game has changed. We're not living in your era anymore.
Everyone in the studio started laughing because Sky were building this up as the ‘biggest rivalry’ yet players from both sides were acting like best mates. I’ll start saying Keane is wrong when some of these lot look like they’d be fit to lace his boots.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Everyone in the studio started laughing because Sky were building this up as the ‘biggest rivalry’ yet players from both sides were acting like best mates. I’ll start saying Keane is wrong when some of these lot look like they’d be fit to lace his boots.

SirAF

Ageist
Keanosauros losing his mind because players were hugging and kissing before the 'war'. Let it go grandpa, the game has changed. We're not living in your era anymore.
Nah, he’s right on this one.

That’s how you do it.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Maybe it is perception but I was in the concourse just before kick off and plenty of people said the same as Keane (not aware of what he's said either as it was on United's in house channel not sky sports.) I think it is a bit daft when players do it, maybe it is a dated opinion or whatever but especially in games like yesterday just doesn't seem that hard to wait to hug your mate.

The Kane stuff he's pretty obviously saying it tongue in cheek to, I'm sure he's aware it's not dead easy to just go and sign Tottenham's best player. he's even smiling when he's saying it.

I think whenever I see these pundit threads (this one, Neville one for example) people just want to get annoyed. There was complaints for years how dull MOTD pundits were and still are. Keane, Jose, Carragher, Neville all have personality and whilst they may have some controversial statements it's entertaining to watch, not everything has to be in depth analysis it can be refreshing to hear the likes of Keane even if he is playing up to it.
So basically you want the players to keep up the perception they hate each other. I mean deep down you know these guys are millionaires and friends outside of the pitch and live in complete different world to the average person. But as long as we can pretend a football game is war and there players keep up the theatrics it's all good.

It's laughable to think players back in the day were more passionate. They lived far less professional lives outside of the pitch. But at least they knew how to play the game with fans. Also I rather have Brazilian approach to football than English. Their records speak for itself

Oggmonster

So basically you want the players to keep up the perception they hate each other. I mean deep down you know these guys are millionaires and friends outside of the pitch and live in complete different world to the average person. But as long as we can pretend a football game is war and there players keep up the theatrics it's all good.

It's laughable to think players back in the day were more passionate. They lived far less professional lives outside of the pitch. But at least they knew how to play the game with fans. Also I rather have Brazilian approach to football than English. Their records speak for itself
Not at all, in fact I never mentioned a war nor did I say they can't be friends, it doesn't particularly wind me up I just would rather it didn't happen. Anyone can do what they want, if they want to hug their mate so be it they're entitled to do so if they want but people are going to comment on it especially in a game like United vs. City. It's not about thinking they hate each other or thinking they are going to war either that's not the only other possible option. I'm sure there's plenty of footballers who are friends with each other and don't hug before games because all they're focusing on is that match at that time.

I don't think it's anything about being more passionate back in the day or anything but equally I don't think they were "playing games with the fans" I think it's just a culture change, like a lot of things in football. I agree Brazil are better at football but I don't think that's from hugging or not hugging before football matches, I'm sure they'd still be better if they didn't hug every time they played.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Called Rose and Aurier "Dumb and Dumber" yesterday

Say what you want, but he won't sugarcoat anything!

cyberman

But then United bought Fred is so concise and cutting. Brilliant in its simplicity

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I actually didn't think Rose was bad yesterday :lol:

Kag

The suggestion that Eriksen wouldn’t improve upon the likes of Lingard and Pereira is laughable.

Keane is a cracking rent-a-quote but he’s doesn’t really think about what he’s trying to say.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
The suggestion that Eriksen wouldn’t improve upon the likes of Lingard and Pereira is laughable.

Keane is a cracking rent-a-quote but he’s doesn’t really think about what he’s trying to say.
You want the type of comments your friend makes....then Keane is your guy. That's the whole appeal with him. Never in the middle....always extreme to one side.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Love Roy! While I don't think he brings any technical analysis to the group (leave that with Gary and Carra), he's hilariously blunt and honest (which is refreshing quite frankly).

Deery

Dreary
At least he doesn’t pussyfoot around anything just comes straight out and says it like it is.

Irwin99

I actually didn't think Rose was bad yesterday :lol:
I didn't see him the other day but the same thought process always occurs whenever I've seen him play and it's always; 'This guy isn't actually that bad, he gets way too much criticism, he's actually a decent...oh my god what the hell did he just do there!':lol: . Those type of mistakes aren't isolated moments with him sadly.

I like the fact that Keane watches and comments on games with the passion of a fan rather than offering tons of in-depth analysis. It makes for a nice balance and he's usually pretty consistent. He's always criticised Young as never being United quality whereas I don't know of any other pundits that would have a go at an England international like that.

Camilo

He's an utter fanny, but I'm enjoying his black and white analysis of everything. His thinking is ridiculous, clearly completely over-the-top/plain wrong, but it's good value. I doubt he actually thinks half of what he says.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The first time Keane has spoken any sense about United on Sky Sports. Really gave it to Carragher.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The first time Keane has spoken any sense about United on Sky Sports. Really gave it to Carragher.
Agreed.

Although the fundamentalist oleOUT crew are so blinded they think Carragher schooled Keane. :houllier:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Agreed.

Although the fundamentalist oleOUT crew are so blinded they think Carragher schooled Keane. :houllier:
Apart from his dig against Pogba which Evra rightly rebuffed, he was pretty much spot on.

OLLY ORANGE

You can see the passion is keanes eyes. Still there, looks like he's wishing he could come up against Carra next week on the pitch.
As always with Keane he's very loyal to his team mates if he thinks they are trying their best.
Still thought he was over harsh on his criticism of Fred early on. Looks like Fred may make him eat his words long term.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
'give Ole another year'

I agree with Keane :lol::houllier:

izec

You can see the passion is keanes eyes. Still there, looks like he's wishing he could come up against Carra next week on the pitch.
As always with Keane he's very loyal to his team mates if he thinks they are trying their best.
Still thought he was over harsh on his criticism of Fred early on. Looks like Fred may make him eat his words long term.
He is not just loyal, i think his career as a manager, he thinks they need more time. All managers do. Some are just not as good as they think they are. Neville is the same, but at least he admits he deserved the sacking. No time in the world would have made him succeed at Valencia.