Keane The Hardest Ever Footballer?

LordLoveRocket

Dead from eating chillis
KEANO: THE HARDEST EVER

Manchester United captain Roy Keane has been voted the hardest football player ever.

The Irish star beat Chelsea's legendary defender Ron 'Chopper" Harris - famed for his brutal tackles - into second place and Vinnie Jones into third.

Around 2,500 football fans were polled by alcopop WKD and asked to come up with the game's toughest player of all time.

Keane has gained a fearsome reputation for his no-nonsense style on the pitch.

He also gained notoriety for a verbal assault on former Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy which saw the player walk out of the squad before the 2002 World Cup.

Keane - who has been involved in famous spats with former Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira and Newcastle's Alan Shearer - was condemned for comments in his autobiography.

He deliberately went in on Manchester City's Alf Inge Haaland with a particularly vicious tackle in 2001 and wrote in his book: "I'd waited long enough. I hit him hard. The ball was there (I think)."

It followed a previous match when Keane was injured and Haaland accused him of play acting.

Haaland struggled to recover from a knee injury sustained in the tackle and played his last game in 2002 before being forced into retirement.

A WKD spokesman said: "Keane was the clear winner but the rest were all pretty tough. Anyone with the nickname Chopper has to be a contender."

Personally, i think the geezer is a wanker, who is living on a reputation. Also I'd have him in a fight no bother.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
LordLoveRocket said:

Manchester United captain Roy Keane has been voted the hardest football player ever.

The Irish star beat Chelsea's legendary defender Ron 'Chopper" Harris - famed for his brutal tackles - into second place and Vinnie Jones into third.

Around 2,500 football fans were polled by alcopop WKD and asked to come up with the game's toughest player of all time.

He also gained notoriety for a verbal assault on former Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy which saw the player walk out of the squad before the 2002 World Cup.

Keane - who has been involved in famous spats with former Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira and Newcastle's Alan Shearer - was condemned for comments in his autobiography.

He deliberately went in on Manchester City's Alf Inge Haaland with a particularly vicious tackle in 2001 and wrote in his book: "I'd waited long enough. I hit him hard. The ball was there (I think)."

It followed a previous match when Keane was injured and Haaland accused him of play acting.

Haaland struggled to recover from a knee injury sustained in the tackle and played his last game in 2002 before being forced into retirement.

A WKD spokesman said: "Keane was the clear winner but the rest were all pretty tough. Anyone with the nickname Chopper has to be a contender."

Personally, i think the geezer is a wanker, who is living on a reputation. Also I'd have him in a fight no bother.
:houllier:
I think it has to more to do with the mind. Roys a giant on the pitch, i doubt this is about who would win an arm wrestling match.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
well done Keano! :keano:

The trouble with Roy
May 1999:
Spends night in prison cell after bar clash with two women following United's Premiership title triumph.
Nov 2000:
Berates United fans after Champions League defeat to Dynamo Kiev branding them the 'prawn sandwich' brigade.
Apr 2001:
Sent off for two-footed lunge on Man City's Alf-Inge Haaland. Reveals in his autobiography: "I f****** hit him hard," earning five-match ban and a £150,000 fine.
Sept 2001:
Sent off again after apparent attempt to strike Alan Shearer in the face in 4-3 defeat at Newcastle.
April 2002:
Slams team-mates after crashing out of Europe in a trophyless season.
May 2002:
Quits Republic of Ireland shortly before the World Cup in Japan starts. Complains about training facilities in Saipan. Tells manager Mick McCarthy before departing: "You can stick World Cup up your b*******."
Sept 2002:
Sent off at Sunderland for elbowing Jason McAteer in the head.
Feb 2005:
Clashes with Patrick Vieira minutes before kick-off in the tunnel at Highbury, defending team-mate Gary Neville.
May 2005:
Summoned to Trafford Magistrates Court after allegedly attacking 16-year-old boy.
Jul 2005:
Misses pre-season tour to Asia following alleged dispute with Sir Alex Ferguson.

Tribec

I like the idea that Keane is thought as one of the hardest players of all time, but even as recently as the 80's we saw players like Souness, Case and our own Whiteside and Robson. All four of them would have stood up to Keane and certainly Jones. In fact Vinnie Jones was scared of Whiteside, I'm kidding you not when I say that the first challenge from Whiteside on Jones at OT could be heard around the ground. It was as if everyone held there breath, and Norman won. Jones never went near him again or another United player ever after that one.

very Ruud

Spam, Spam, Spam....
a_devil_inside said:

The trouble with Roy

Feb 2005:
Clashes with Patrick Vieira minutes before kick-off in the tunnel at Highbury, defending team-mate Gary Neville.

I dont think it was Keano who was in trouble. :lol:

redjoe

If anyone finds a spare clue please pm it to me
Tribec said:
I like the idea that Keane is thought as one of the hardest players of all time, but even as recently as the 80's we saw players like Souness, Case and our own Whiteside and Robson. All four of them would have stood up to Keane and certainly Jones. In fact Vinnie Jones was scared of Whiteside, I'm kidding you not when I say that the first challenge from Whiteside on Jones at OT could be heard around the ground. It was as if everyone held there breath, and Norman won. Jones never went near him again or another United player ever after that one.

I am glad you mentioned the Whiteside/ Jones bit.I met Whiteside in a bar in Belfast a few yrs back, he was friends with a fella I worked with.He told a story about Jones, basically saying he kicked lumps out of him with no response.The incident he was referring to happened at Plough Lane, so I guess he kicked him on a few different occassions.

I don't like this whole hard man debate, because some people think if you make dirty tackles or your a bully then your hard man.Jones made dirty tackles on players he knew wouldn't kick back.Jones had no ability either.

Players like Whiteside,Moran,Keano,Robbo,Bruce were genuine hardmen.Yeah they made dirty tackles when needed, but they weren't afraid to put their heads in where it hurts.Plus they had ability.

Football has changed in recent yrs, a lot of the reckless tackles have been taken out of the games.I remember Whiteside coming on as a sub against Liverpool, McMahon had been acting the bollox up to this point.Whiteside nearly broke him in half in his first tackle.After that McMahon never went near the ball.In today's game I reckon Whiteside may have gotten a red for that one though.

Tribec

Whiteside v McMahon was at Anfield on 4th April 1988, United came from 3-0 down and equalised after Colin Gibson got sent off. It was also the game where Strachan on scoring the equaliser smoked his cigar in front of the KOP.

Whiteside put in such a tackle on McMahon that I suspect he'd have got at least a 10 game ban in todays standards. Fair credit to McMahon, he knew it was in retirbution for previous sins that day, and never took it further.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Vinnie Jones was all mouth

Whiteside, Robbo and Moran, were players who could mix it when needed. They didnt care if they picked up an injury along the way doing it either.

I wouldnt class Keano a hardman tbh

Spoony

golden_blunder said:
Whiteside, Robbo and Moran, were players who could mix it when needed. They didnt care if they picked up an injury along the way doing it either.

Made some crazy challenges. I mean fearless tackles that could easily have resulted in injury. As football goes, I think that's pretty hard. Not knowing you'll come out of a challenge better or worse than the opponent, yet still going in full blooded and putting the team infront of your own safety.

Gazza

I'm trying to remember one Whiteside tackle that got Jimmy hill in a state - I think it was in the 83 cup final on some brighton lad. Could have done serious damage.

keano6_16

LordLoveRocket said:

damn right he's hard, but unlike most of the rest of the other candidates, he's a world class player, lets not forget that.

pure god

keano6_16

a_devil_inside said:

May 2002: [/b]Quits Republic of Ireland shortly before the World Cup in Japan starts. Complains about training facilities in Saipan. Tells manager Mick McCarthy before departing: "You can stick World Cup up your b*******."

he's said a hell of lot more then that........and it was pure poetry!!

kids should be learning his speech in school!

TR

Feels utterly betrayed
LordLoveRocket said:
If you don't like it feck off, cocksucker.
Er, TR, if you take the time to notice. I realize it doesn't balance the scales with your own name as well as 'cocksucker', but it's there in black and white.

tengy

Say it loud, I'm out and I'm proud. I'm a bigotte
duncan fergusopn hard, he not even on the list

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
You want hard players.

How about Joe Jordan...

He was one really tasty bastard when he wanted to be.

Likewise Alan Ball was a fiery little twat.

In comparison to players of the 70s and 80s Keane is about as hard as David Beckham....

Jaapster

I cant really vouch personally for him,
But i watched hardmen on MUTV last night,
Bill Foulkes looked like he could handle himself?
Plus what he did for Utd post munich,
and in the 68 european Cup
Puts him down as a legend in my book!!

Dino

Paul Gascoigne should have been put in the list too.On vinni getting third,he has used his hardman status to his advantage in most of the films he had acted.

Looking Busy

The thing with Vinnie Jones coming in 3rd. I don't think he was particuarly hard, he knew how to handle himself well enough, but he built up the reputation as a hard man through playing dirty

Stamford Bridge

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already mad
Keane a "hard man"? Maybe only to those who think Football began in 1992.

Robson was never "hard". Determine and could hold his own in a ruck, but not one of the few that stood out.

Whiteside was proper hard.
Chopper was hard as nails, he would be sent off 20 times a season if he was playing today.
Souness was a top footballer, but also a proper cnut. I remember one match where some eastern european fella was trying to break Liverpool players in half. Souness waited till the referee wasn't looking then socked him between the eyes. Fella went down like a sack of potatoes and had to be take off. Souness wasn't sent off.
In more modern times Souness could be a dirty cnut too.

Vinnie Jones was all mouth, but what he did to perfection was get people wound up like an alarm clock.

RedsForever

Lingers like a bad smell
Compare Keano to the likes of Claudio Gentile and Andoni Goicoechea , Keano will come out looking like a choir boy.

RedsForever

Lingers like a bad smell
Stamford Bridge said:
He was hard for his time, mind.

Which is ultimately whats important.
Yes, I would agree Keano was hard for his time. But to call him the hardest ever is a little off. Keano is amongst the top 10 hardest ever, yes.

TR

Feels utterly betrayed
TR said:
Sorry, LLR, but this thread matches your username: amongst the wankiest ever to appear in the Caf.
I apologize for the above. It's amazed me for a while that a member of a forum such as the Cafe should have a username based on his penis, and I was feeling a bit edgy when I said that. And of course there've been threads here that make this one seem almost completely unwanky.

Graham Le Saux was harder than Robbie Fowler. I loved it when he whacked the scouse git in the back of the head after Fowler waved his arse at him.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
TR said:
I apologize for the above. It's amazed me for a while that a member of a forum such as the Cafe should have a username based on his penis, and I was feeling a bit edgy when I said that. And of course there've been threads here that make this one seem almost completely unwanky.

Graham Le Saux was harder than Robbie Fowler. I loved it when he whacked the scouse git in the back of the head after Fowler waved his arse at him.
That was the best thing Le Saux did in his career.