Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
This may be going against the grain, but it is really refreshing to see a politician acknowledge publicly without equivocation that something they did was wrong and apologise for it.

Dobba

This may be going against the grain, but it is really refreshing to see a politician acknowledge publicly without equivocation that something they did was wrong and apologise for it.
Two days late and on the day you sent Rachel Reeves to TV to say you didn't do the thing you'd go on to apologise for doing that evening.

Fluctuation0161

Fair enough. Good to see some level of reflection at least!

It is a shame he has not reflected on most other topics such as the spycops bill. If he fights strongly against the latest Tory efforts to effectively outlaw protests then that will be a start.

Last edited:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

Sweet Square

Serves me right for not checking my sources.

Although Liam Byrne does have previous for being a nightmare to work with: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/nov/17/liam-byrne-minister-diva-news

And I still haven't forgiven him for writing that memo in 2010.
It was still useful insight about the party tbh I just think the jouro might be being too kind to the labour right and current leadership. Yeah that note has to go down as one of the most stupid political mistakes of recent history.

There this really interstering NS piece from 2016 talking about the failed ''golden generation'' that came after Blair and Brown - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/09/fall-labour-s-golden-generation

I'm pretty sure Byrne would fit into this as well.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Can't be arsed reading back but has anyone else pointed out this landlord dude is also a writer trying to sell his novels?

And he also went on a big road trip around Scotland in August/September last year?

He's at it.

Frosty

Labour unveils £30bn plan to create 400,000 green jobs

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...lan-create-green-jobs-keir-starmer-employment

Keir Starmer has announced a £30bn plan to revive UK manufacturing by creating 400,000 green jobs.

In an attempt to mitigate the blow to employment caused by Covid-19, the Labour leader said the proposed investment in secure low-carbon jobs would have knock-on effects across the economy.

Hundreds of thousands of jobs would be supported in manufacturing sectors including steel, offshore wind, automotive and aerospace, Starmer said.

Labour hopes to win back support in once safe seats in the Midlands and the north of England that were lost to the Conservatives in the 2019 election, but faces the prospect of losing another “red wall” seat – Hartlepool – in a byelection next month.

Starmer, who has been under pressure to boost Labour’s low standing in opinion polls by coming up with fresh policy ideas, said: “Labour’s plan to create hundreds of thousands of jobs would boost employment right across the country, creating secure employment in clean industries including our country’s vital manufacturing industries.

“Under the Conservatives, our manufacturers have been neglected, putting jobs at risk while ministers have done favours for their friends. The people of Britain deserve better – opportunities, fairness and good jobs in their communities which are a source of pride and dignity. The Conservatives can’t be trusted to deliver that.”
So we have some new policy announcements. I cannot help but think this is missing a zero both in the pricing, and in the number of jobs which should be being created. Very odd to release this half way through an election campaign too, but there we go.

Frosty

Why is Starmer not backing this motion like every other opposition party is? At what point does his inaction consist of gross misconduct ir dereliction of duty as Labour leader.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/six-parties-demand-commons-inquiry-23941181
I think I do have an answer to this, although it is by no means a defence of the move. I know that there is a lot of personal support for Boris in Hartlepool, coupled with a lot of distaste for the Tories. It could add up to people voting Tory for Boris.

Anyway, I get the feeling from LOTO office that they are still pursuing the 'attack the Tories, not Boris' line. Which of course begs the question - if you are consistently following public opinion in determining your actions, how will you ever do anything to change it?

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Cant help but think what has gone wrong so far with his leadership and if labour are just screwed for the foreseeable future. I literally don't think there is anything they can do, other than find a leader that can work some magic out of nothing. They are fighting too many things, including themselves.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Starmer's a complete non-entity. My vote will go to Greens as long as he remains the leader.