Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Sweet Square

Tbh I'm surprised at just how right I was
Everything so far points to a Labour going back to the pre 2017 Ed Miliband days.

Starmer is the image of Miliband.

Nationalising companies due to the failure of the market and then putting them back on the market is peak centre left labourism tbh.

Jericholyte2

It's an absolute indictment of the state of the Opposition that, in a week where the budget has told working class people to go feck themselves, they originally allowed water companies to pump raw sewage in to our waterways, that the YouGov (aware of the origins of this organisation) have the Conservatives UP 2 POINTS in Westminster voting intentions polls!!!

The only sense of genuine opposition is coming from a handful of shadow ministers and back-benchers, which is an absolute disgrace!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Tbh I'm surprised at just how right I was

Starmer is the image of Miliband.

Nationalising companies due to the failure of the market and then putting them back on the market is peak centre left labourism tbh.
Privatise profits, nationalise losses.

Jericholyte2

I must admit, I'm far from Starmer's biggest fan, probably one of his lowest supporters, but that was an incredible performance at PMQs!

I think he's been waiting for a non-Brexit, non-Covid topic to pop-up that he can go in on, and boy he went in hard on that one!!!

lsd

The Oracle
I must admit, I'm far from Starmer's biggest fan, probably one of his lowest supporters, but that was an incredible performance at PMQs!

I think he's been waiting for a non-Brexit, non-Covid topic to pop-up that he can go in on, and boy he went in hard on that one!!!

I can see him winning. It's the first time in years Labour have actually got a realistic chance.

Of course they will blow it themselves and accuse him off not being left wing enough

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

He actually use the Blair line Weak Weak Weak as well didnt he

Starmer says everyone else has apologised for the Owen Paterson row, except the PM.

"A coward, not a leader," says Starmer adding "weak, weak, weak".

so Im sure that just proof he is red tory and evil and puppet for Israel and OOOOOOH Jeremy Corbyn etc

but yeah one of his better performances

Fluctuation0161

I can see him winning. It's the first time in years Labour have actually got a realistic chance.

Of course they will blow it themselves and accuse him off not being left wing enough
More likely...

1)The Tories will implode.
2)Starmer will win by default.
3)Few years of "new new Labour" disengages any support they may have had
4) Another decade in the abyss for Labour

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Or more more than likely, The Tories dump Boris, blame everything on him, appoint someone like Sunak - Normal Island returns to ‘normal’

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
More likely...

1)The Tories will implode.
2)Starmer will win by default.
3)Few years of "new new Labour" disengages any support they may have had
4) Another decade in the abyss for Labour
Even more likely:

Regardless of what the Tories do Labour won't win the next election. I reckon we are a good two elections away from power.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Or more more than likely, The Tories dump Boris, blame everything on him, appoint someone like Sunak - Normal Island returns to ‘normal’
Can't wait for Sunak to be appointed and India to colonize the feck out of Britain. You lot will be quoting Narendra Modi like we quote fake Churchill quips to look cool.

Fluctuation0161

Even more likely:

Regardless of what the Tories do Labour won't win the next election. I reckon we are a good two elections away from power.
You're probably right.

It would have to be a few more own goals from Johnson (which is possible) and Labour could win.

No thanks to Starmer though. Could've had kermit the frog as leader and Tories would lose if more of Johnsons corruption comes out in the public eye.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You're probably right.

It would have to be a few more own goals from Johnson (which is possible) and Labour could win.

No thanks to Starmer though. Could've had kermit the frog as leader and Tories would lose if more of Johnsons corruption comes out in the public eye.
They’re going to get away with what they can for as long as they can. When the public has had enough, they will axe Johnson and bring in super-Rishi who will make some superficial announcements about a clean house and serious government and the public will buy the lot and give them a 40 seat majority.

OleGunnar20

They’re going to get away with what they can for as long as they can. When the public has had enough, they will axe Johnson and bring in super-Rishi who will make some superficial announcements about a clean house and serious government and the public will buy the lot and give them a 40 seat majority.
Depressingly predictable.

Lebowski

Bingo.

I can't remember who coined the phrase, but the Tories really do get to play politics on easy mode.

They can try Johnson's brand of populist Brexity targeted public spending (also known as pork barrel politics if you're more cynical), whilst Sunak plays the role of the austere spendthrift chancellor, then for the election run whichever leader best matches the political mood of the moment and best counters whoever is leading Labour at the time.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Can't wait for Sunak to be appointed and India to colonize the feck out of Britain. You lot will be quoting Narendra Modi like we quote fake Churchill quips to look cool.
I'm sorry but can you explain how somebody born In Southampton to parents from East Africa becoming pm is going to start India colonising the fek out of Britain?

jeff_goldblum

After a period of being incredibly downbeat, I actually think there's a chance Labour could win the next election (putting aside for the moment boundary reviews and city/town demographic trends which screw them, and the fact that if the Tories ditch Johnson for Sunak before the election those chances will shrink substantially) but only because the Tories have really taken being incompetent and openly contemptuous of the electorate to new heights since the last election.

That might just be enough for Labour though. The last time a Conservative government was in power this long and was this mired in sleaze and scandal they made themselves so unpopular that they spent the next 3 elections polling at levels where a 2019-esque performance from Labour would have been enough to form a government. Part of the reason Starmer has really gone scorched earth with the factional warfare and rule changes is precisely because as it stands whoever leads Labour at the next election has a chance, and the Labour right want to make sure there's absolutely no chance a left-wing leader has a clear run against weak opposition.

Unfortunately whilst the Tories have gotten worse at running the country since 1997, they've gotten a lot better at electioneering. The last couple of years looks very much like them preparing the ground for a(nother) change of leader designed to shake off all their baggage and reinvent themselves in time to fight an election. The hero-worship of Sunak by Tory media outriders (including at the BBC) is well underway, as others have said, the strategy now appears to be to pile so much shit on Johnson personally that it sticks with him when he steps down and Sunak looks clean as a whistle in comparison when he takes over.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
After a period of being incredibly downbeat, I actually think there's a chance Labour could win the next election (putting aside for the moment boundary reviews and city/town demographic trends which screw them, and the fact that if the Tories ditch Johnson for Sunak before the election those chances will shrink substantially) but only because the Tories have really taken being incompetent and openly contemptuous of the electorate to new heights since the last election.

That might just be enough for Labour though. The last time a Conservative government was in power this long and was this mired in sleaze and scandal they made themselves so unpopular that they spent the next 3 elections polling at levels where a 2019-esque performance from Labour would have been enough to form a government. Part of the reason Starmer has really gone scorched earth with the factional warfare and rule changes is precisely because as it stands whoever leads Labour at the next election has a chance, and the Labour right want to make sure there's absolutely no chance a left-wing leader has a clear run against weak opposition.

Unfortunately whilst the Tories have gotten worse at running the country since 1997, they've gotten a lot better at electioneering. The last couple of years looks very much like them preparing the ground for a(nother) change of leader designed to shake off all their baggage and reinvent themselves in time to fight an election. The hero-worship of Sunak by Tory media outriders (including at the BBC) is well underway, as others have said, the strategy now appears to be to pile so much shit on Johnson personally that it sticks with him when he steps down and Sunak looks clean as a whistle in comparison when he takes over.
This Tory scenario does depend a bit on the UK economy not nosediving, with Sunak getting the blame. From their point of view they might be better acting over the leadership sooner rather than later, if it's Sunak they really want. They could go for someone else of course.

For Labour, I think you're over-complicating a bit. The centre and right want the left out, simple as that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Trickle down is back, in pog form.

Sounds very sensible to me.
Before you can even think about the distribution of wealth, you first have to create it, or at least create the right environment.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Trickle down is back, in pog form.

Trickle down was about reducing taxes for the wealthy, unless Starmer is planning to do that it's a strange allegation.

Why people read twitter about something that hasn't happened yet I've never understood, but in general we need successful businesses paying employees well and paying taxes to provide good public services for those that need it.

Dobba

Trickle down was about reducing taxes for the wealthy, unless Starmer is planning to do that it's a strange allegation.

Why people read twitter about something that hasn't happened yet I've never understood, but in general we need successful businesses paying employees well and paying taxes to provide good public services for those that need it.
Not too well though, not now Sir Keir's got the leadership sewn up anyway.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
A great chance to make an impact while the Tories are imploding over Boris Johsnon.

What is Starmer focused on? His continued Labour purge...
Keir Starmer launches Labour reshuffle
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boris-johnson-news-live-brexit-today-b1965836.html
Meh, Cat Smith is a fantastic local MP and has actually been somewhat toothless on local matters since promotion to the shadow cabinet, so as one of her constituents I welcome her demotion in that regard.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
A great chance to make an impact while the Tories are imploding over Boris Johsnon.

What is Starmer focused on? His continued Labour purge...
Keir Starmer launches Labour reshuffle
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boris-johnson-news-live-brexit-today-b1965836.html
The MP for Lancaster and Fleetwood, shadow minister for democracy, said Sir Keir had invited her to carry on in her role but that she decided to step down to focus on her constituency.
Purge = inviting MP to stay in role?

Even Saj is better at spinning half truths than you

Edit Kate Green out as well... you know the woman who lead the owen smith challange - hardly some ultra anti corbyn purge is it...

Having the right people in the right roles would seem fairly fundamental in making an impact though wouldnt it?.... shadow ministers on top of their briefs and holding counterparts to account?

Last edited: