Keir Starmer Labour Leader

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Frankly I just don't see it, it sounds bogus argumentation. If reducing financial inequality via investment in poor areas is their aim and reduction of crime would be a byproduct of it, then why is it that "defund the police" is the slogan repeated? And considering how long it would take for such programs to bear fruit and reduce crime, how would defunding the police now help the general society? It takes years to build things and seconds to dismantle them. You'd end up with even more stretched police forces and probably higher criminality until those programs begin to work. And I'm sure the state (especially with a Tory govt) would love to gradually reduce the police budget once there's less work for them to do, but until that happens why is police force the first area of directed cuts to fund investments elsewhere? Why can't funds be raised via taxation for example?

Sounds like purely vindictive action, with some vague justification applied on top that doesn't stand the test of logic. Enlighten me, please.
One consistent finding in the social science literature is that if we really want to reduce crime, education equity and the establishment of a work infrastructure is the best approach. A study using 60 years of data found that an increase in funding for police did not significantly relate to a decrease in crime. Throwing more police on the street to solve a structural problem is one of the reasons why people are protesting in the streets. Defunding police—reallocating funding away from police departments to other sectors of government—may be more beneficial for reducing crime and police violence.
Source -
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....d-the-police-mean-and-does-it-have-merit/amp/

If you’re really interested in understanding it there is ample literature on the subject. Give it a read and see what you think. It’s certainly not bogus.

More police to deal with growing crime in a neoliberal era of austerity sounds more like the ‘vindictive’ and devoid of logic policy to me.

EwanI Ted

Source -
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....d-the-police-mean-and-does-it-have-merit/amp/

If you’re really interested in understanding it there is ample literature on the subject. Give it a read and see what you think. It’s certainly not bogus.

More police to deal with growing crime in a neoliberal era of austerity sounds more like the ‘vindictive’ and devoid of logic policy to me.
Do you know of any UK based resources to draw upon? There's not much value looking at the USA, they have such different funding regime, state structures and approach to community enterprises that's its hard to compare the two.

MadMike

Source -

You’re not addressing the point. At all. I’m not disagreeing that addressing the socio-economic factors that lead to crime should be the aim. I’m just not seeing how defunding the police now is the best way to get there. If there’s ample literature with merit that suggests defunding the police is the most efficient or only way to improve equality of opportunity in society, let me see it.

Your second paragraph is even more deflection.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Do you know of any UK based resources to draw upon? There's not much value looking at the USA, they have such different funding regime, state structures and approach to community enterprises that's its hard to compare the two.
This article from two academics seems like a good place to start - https://novaramedia.com/2020/06/13/would-defund-the-police-work-in-the-uk/

There’s a lot to be gained from research in the social sciences which will often have universal principles, and comparing the UK with other countries that spend far less per citizen on police but have better law and order outcomes.

You’re not addressing the point. At all. I’m not disagreeing that addressing the socio-economic factors that lead to crime should be the aim. I’m just not seeing how defunding the police now is the best way to get there. If there’s ample literature with merit that suggests defunding the police is the most efficient or only way to improve equality of opportunity in society, let me see it.

Your second paragraph is even more deflection.
Huh? I’ve literally posted you a link that’s a starting point on why defunding the police and focusing investment elsewhere could be the best way to get there. My counterclaim to you would be post the evidence that more funding for the police is the way to get there. There’s only one of us attempting to engage with the literature here which is kinda unhelpful, especially when you then accuse me of deflecting.

EwanI Ted

This article from two academics seems like a good place to start - https://novaramedia.com/2020/06/13/would-defund-the-police-work-in-the-uk/

There’s a lot to be gained from research in the social sciences which will often have universal principles, and comparing the UK with other countries that spend far less per citizen on police but have better law and order outcomes.
I followed a bit of a click chain and came across this list of resources, which might be useful reading for someone. I'll blast through some later on. They're mostly long articles and short books on replacing various bits of the criminal justice system.

https://abolitionistfutures.com/full-reading-list

I haven't read them yet so don't blame me if they're tosh.

Fluctuation0161

Watch the whole interview - he's asked specifically on whether he thinks we should defund the police. He answered the question.

It's like some over-sensitive folk getting angry if someone says "we need to make sure we aren't rioting against innocent people" and someone else arguing "how can you say that, it's like you don't acknowledge there's a problem of racism".

Of course they acknowledge the latter, they are just making the point that there are more sensible ways to go about dealing with a systemic issue.
I've seen the interview and the response included no acceptance that reforms or refinements of the police force is necessary. He also completely misunderstood, as you do it seems, the concept behind the campaign.

The fact that he is as far right as Nigel Farage is on this issue is not a good look for the Labour leader.

Fingeredmouse

What do you want from Labour?

How big is the gap?
I want, foolish though it is, a Labour party that doesn't have to become Tory light to win an election. However, you can't win in the UK unless that is precisely what you do. The part of Starmer's interview that gets me, and many others in this thread, is not the defund the Police section but rather the dismissal of the BLM movement's aims and the clear indication that Labour will be happy to abandon the galvanised (largely youth) movement that grew under Corbyn to court the votes of "Middle England", partly because he knows they'll likely vote for him anyway (if they aren't completely disengaged) as the alternative is so repellent.

I'm not suggesting that Starmer's tactics aren't the right ones to win a GE. They probably are. I'm simply mourning the death of mainstream politics of the left and my lack of a palatable political home.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I followed a bit of a click chain and came across this list of resources, which might be useful reading for someone. I'll blast through some later on. They're mostly long articles and short books on replacing various bits of the criminal justice system.

https://abolitionistfutures.com/full-reading-list

I haven't read them yet so don't blame me if they're tosh.
Thanks for sharing, looks a pretty solid starting point.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've seen the interview and the response included no acceptance that reforms or refinements of the police force is necessary. He also completely misunderstood, as you do it seems, the concept behind the campaign.

The fact that he is as far right as Nigel Farage is on this issue is not a good look for the Labour leader.
I agree that Nigel Farage backing the interview answer is not a good look, and I also agree he could have provided much better context to his answer.

But I utterly disagree that either he or I have misunderstood the concept behind the campaign. The campaign is there to fight injustice and racism at all levels, with a particular beast being the institutional level. What I still find bizzare however, is that you have to "defund the police" in order to spend on education, training and the community. In other words, that the two are somewhat mutual exclusive. I also disagree that you need to dismantle capitalism too. It's just a bunch of airy fairy and ill thought-out solutions. No one seems to have looked at the matter pragmatically and thought, maybe we need to invest more in our police to make them better than they are. Whilst at the same time, giving more attention to the demographics that need it in the community.

MadMike

Huh? I’ve literally posted you a link that’s a starting point on why defunding the police and focusing investment elsewhere could be the best way to get there. My counterclaim to you would be post the evidence that more funding for the police is the way to get there. There’s only one of us attempting to engage with the literature here which is kinda unhelpful, especially when you then accuse me of deflecting.
No, you didn't though. You posted a link to a US based article that suggests it's better to spend money in local communities instead of the police because US police are ineffective at solving and dealing with crime (very debatable in itself as it's not using any comparative statistics or benchmarks). Nowhere in that article does it entertain the thought that money could be spent at local communities as well as better profiling and training of the police force to improve their effectiveness. Or that money could indeed be raised from elsewhere.

For the record, I have indeed seen studies that have demonstrated a negative correlation between police numbers and certain types of crime...
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1350/pojo.2013.86.4.633
https://www.justiceinspectorates.go...rime-rates-rapid-evidence-review-20110721.pdf

And not all investment on police has to be on numbers of bobbies either.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I want, foolish though it is, a Labour party that doesn't have to become Tory light to win an election. However, you can't win in the UK unless that is precisely what you do. The part of Starmer's interview that gets me, and many others in this thread, is not the defund the Police section but rather the dismissal of the BLM movement's aims and the clear indication that Labour will be happy to abandon the galvanised (largely youth) movement that grew under Corbyn to court the votes of "Middle England", partly because he knows they'll likely vote for him anyway (if they aren't completely disengaged) as the alternative is so repellent.

I'm not suggesting that Starmer's tactics aren't the right ones to win a GE. They probably are. I'm simply mourning the death of mainstream politics of the left and my lack of a palatable political home.
Not arguing. Looking to understand.

But what does your left look like? Not over the top, but a realistic outline of the world that you think would benefit most of this country.

Know that I’m left, liberal, borderline anarchist in Outlook. I’m not your enemy by any stretch.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
No, you didn't though. You posted a link to a US based article that suggests it's better to spend money in local communities instead of the police because US police are ineffective at solving and dealing with crime (very debatable in itself as it's not using any comparative statistics or benchmarks). Nowhere in that article does it entertain the thought that money could be spent at local communities as well as better profiling and training of the police force to improve their effectiveness. Or that money could indeed be raised from elsewhere.

For the record, I have indeed seen studies that have demonstrated a negative correlation between police numbers and certain types of crime...
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1350/pojo.2013.86.4.633
https://www.justiceinspectorates.go...rime-rates-rapid-evidence-review-20110721.pdf

And not all investment on police has to be on numbers of bobbies either.
So you accuse me of deflection by citing a US study then link me to a study in Sweden that focused only on property crime and a second UK article which does not ‘demonstrate’ anything and is the study cited by the College of Policing when it asserts that a ‘recent review of the literature commissioned by HMIC concluded that there was not enough evidence to say that higher numbers of police officers was the direct cause of lower levels of crime’.

And you’re missing the point by saying ‘the money could be raised elsewhere’. It’s not about the finance, it’s based in an analysis of how best to tackle crime and what role the police should play in that. Likewise, defunding does not at all preclude better training of individuals.

Fingeredmouse

Not arguing. Looking to understand.

But what does your left look like? Not over the top, but a realistic outline of the world that you think would benefit most of this country.

Know that I’m left, liberal, borderline anarchist in Outlook. I’m not your enemy by any stretch.
I didn't think you were my enemy nor arguing! We're good.

My left is a government that focuses on education and invests in society. I want a Government that addresses inequality.

So, I want investment in education that is free at the point of use. I want social services and community care to be properly invested in. I want to see progressive solutions to social challenges like poverty, homelessness and crime by supporting people and eliminating the root causes through proper benefits systems and support structures. I want a society that values it's healthcare system not by applauding on doorsteps but by investing in people and infrastructure. I want a society that values people over profits. I want proper investment in housing and redress for the disproportionate distribution of wealth the UK's housing market has created. I want an inclusive society that looks outwards to the World in a positive, welcoming manner: that sees other people and cultures free from the lenses of xenophobia and British exceptionalism and frees itself from the hegemony of exploitative Western states. I want investment in science and true environment policies so that Britain can lead the World in these fields. I want a society that invests in its people and in its children.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I didn't think you were my enemy nor arguing! We're good.

My left government that focuses on education and invests in society. I want a Government that addresses inequality.

So, I want investment in education that is free at the point of use. I want social services and community care to be properly invested in. I want to see progressive solutions to social challenges like poverty, homelessness and crime by supporting people and eliminating the root causes through proper benefits systems and support structures. I want a society that values it's healthcare system not by applauding on doorsteps but by investing in people and infrastructure. I want a society that values people over profits. I want proper investment in housing and redress for the disproportionate distribution of wealth the UK's housing market has created. I want an inclusive society that looks outwards to the World in a positive, welcoming manner: that sees other people and cultures free from the lenses of xenophobia and British exceptionalism and frees itself from the hegemony of exploitative Western states. I want investment in science and true environment policies so that Britain can lead the World in these fields. I want a society that invests in its people and in its children.
We’re skipping arm in arm.

I truly don’t think we get all that without 8 years of Labour. Or maybe 16 years out of 20.

It’s going to take a long time. I don’t see anything controversial there, but too many people that need a left wing government and policy.... have been stolen by lies.

The next 4 years must be solid and electable. It won’t always sound like happiness, but it will be better.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

You seem to be forgetting the great success of the war against drugs where throwing more resources at the problem has always paid dividends. Oh wait .....

;)

Ludens the Red

Im going to rant a bit and its not directed at you in particular but the problem with articles like this is that they are written by people who do not have the slightest clue about day to day policing and dont seem to have the slightest clue about people in general and the nastiness of the world and it always shows.
These people I imagine have never been victims of serious crime and don’t know anyone who has. I also imagine these people probably aren’t suspects in serious crimes. Because hilariously enough, actual criminals I meet talk more sense than these muppets.

I’ll pick out a particular bit of that which just makes me roll my eyes.

However, part of the reason police appear overstretched is that they are being called upon to respond to incidents and issues – such as rough-sleeping, mental health crises, drug and alcohol-related problems, domestic violence, issues relating to Covid-19 – that could be far more effectively and humanely addressed by well-funded, community-based emergency support teams, crisis intervention and violence de-escalation workers.
Community based work support teams? I keep seeing shit like this. Once you’ve defunded police and try to set up your ‘Community based support teams‘, just who the feck are the people lining up to take on these jobs?

Who are these people out there willing to attend rough sleeper, domestic violence, drug and alcohol calls multiple times a day and at 3am in the morning Who aren’t the police? Who are these feckin people? Where are they? Do people honestly think there are thousands of people out there lining up to take on these roles? Jobs?

Honestly, the delusion of articles like this.
Attending these type of calls requires a certain trait. Most people DO NOT and are completely frightened by the idea of confrontation.

This is why mental health workers, LAS workers and social workers call police to assist them with their patients when things get out of hand. They don’t call their fecking ‘neighbours’.
Whilst these people are vital and do a fantastic job they have no interest in physical or verbal confrontation.

‘Crisis intervention and de-escalation workers’ yeah they’re called fecking police you obnoxious ignorant twat. Joe public has no fecking interest in rolling around on the edge of balconies and in the middle of the road with people high on coke. You cannot fecking micromanage these incidents and pick and choose like it’s clear cut because it never ever is.

To this end, ‘defund the police’ might have its most direct translation in calls to stop the planned expansion of police budgets and recruitment of police officers, to disarm police of their guns and tasers, to remove stop and search and strip search powers and to abolish units such as the Territorial Support Group, which exist only to quell social unrest.
There are 40,000 assaults on Emergency workers in a year (including ambulance staff etc)
There have been 18 deaths by taser in 16 years in policing. Yeah it’s clear police in the U.K. need less PPE.
I guess this falls into people’s desperation to relate things in the U.K. to things in the US. As if we have issues with death by gun and taser. Stop embarrassing yourselves and grow up you muppets.

That articles also claims the 2011 riots were anti police riots? Ah yes of course, that’s why thousands were breaking into stores stealing Nike trainers, TVs and mobile phones. That’s why they were destroying and stealing from small local businesses and corner shops. Yeah they really showed the police.

What I mostly hate about articles like this is the complete and utter disregard for the long suffering victims out there who suffer horrendously because of a lack of numbers and resources in policing, a lenient justice system and a lack of accountability and criminality of certain offences.

All these extreme lefties seem to forget about these people in their delusional ‘community based support workers’ crackpot world.

When you say defund the U.K. police think about what you’re saying, think about the bigger picture. You’re not going to just take money away from ‘naughty stop and search officers’ or ‘ TSG’ you’re going to take money away from domestic violence victims, rape victims, burglary victims, robbery victims, sex trafficking victims, child abuse victims.

Are these people even aware of how much money, time and resource is pumped into policing and investigating these crimes and putting the criminals away? I just can’t fathom this thinking.

Just please shut the feck up, you don’t know anything About anything, keep your self satisfying, delusional thoughts in your mind and stop plastering them all over social media you insufferable cretins.
Leave policing procedures and politics to the people who know about it and stick to what you know.... calling Tory voters cnuts and shoving your massively flawed opinions down the throat of anyone who has the misfortune of following you on social media. Don’t overstretch.

Last edited:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Im going to rant a bit and its not directed at you in particular but the problem with articles like this is that they are written by people who do not have the slightest clue about day to day policing and dont seem to have the slightest clue about people in general and the nastiness of the world and it always shows.
These people I imagine have never been victims of serious crime and don’t know anyone who has. I also imagine these people probably aren’t suspects in serious crimes. Because hilariously enough, actual criminals I meet talk more sense than these muppets.

Community based work support teams? I keep seeing shit like this. Once you’ve defunded police and try to set up your ‘Community based support teams‘, just who the feck are the people lining up to take on these jobs?

Who are these people out there willing to attend rough sleeper, domestic violence, drug and alcohol calls multiple times a day and at 3am in the morning Who aren’t the police? Who are these feckin people? Where are they? Do people honestly think there are thousands of people out there lining up to take on these roles? Jobs?

Attending these type of calls requires a certain trait. Most people DO NOT and are completely frightened by the idea of confrontation.

This is why mental health workers, LAS workers and social workers call police to assist them with their patients when things get out of hand. They don’t call their fecking ‘neighbours’.
Whilst these people are vital and do a fantastic job they have no interest in physical or verbal confrontation.

‘Crisis intervention and de-escalation workers’ yeah they’re called fecking police you obnoxious ignorant twat. Joe public has no fecking interest in rolling around on the edge of balconies and in the middle of the road with people high on coke. You cannot fecking micromanage these incidents and pick and choose like it’s clear cut because it never ever is.

There are 40,000 assaults on Emergency workers in a year (including ambulance staff etc)
There have been 18 deaths by taser in 16 years in policing. Yeah it’s clear police in the U.K. need less PPE.
I guess this falls into people’s desperation to relate things in the U.K. to things in the US. As if we have issues with death by gun and taser. Stop embarrassing yourselves and grow up you muppets.

That articles also claims the 2011 riots were anti police riots? Ah yes of course, that’s why thousands were breaking into stores stealing Nike trainers, TVs and mobile phones. That’s why they were destroying and stealing from small local businesses and corner shops. Yeah they really showed the police.

What I mostly hate about articles like this is the complete and utter disregard for the long suffering victims out there who suffer horrendously because of a lack of numbers and resources in policing, a lenient justice system and a lack of accountability and criminality of certain offences.

All these extreme lefties seem to forget about these people in their delusional ‘community based support workers’ crackpot world.

When you say defund the U.K. police think about what you’re saying, think about the bigger picture. You’re not going to just take money away from ‘naughty stop and search officers’ or ‘ TSG’ you’re going to take money away from domestic violence victims, rape victims, burglary victims, robbery victims, sex trafficking victims, child abuse victims.

Are these people even aware of how much money, time and resource is pumped into policing and investigating these crimes and putting the criminals away? I just can’t fathom this thinking.

Just please shut the feck up, you don’t know anything About anything, keep your self satisfying, delusional thoughts in your mind and stop plastering them all over social media you insufferable cretins.
Leave policing procedures and politics to the people who know about it and stick to what you know.... calling Tory voters cnuts and shoving your massively flawed opinions down the throat of anyone who has the misfortune of following you on social media. Don’t overstretch.
So wait, are you for or against defunding the police?

the problem with articles like this is that they are written by people who do not have the slightest clue about day to day policing and dont seem to have the slightest clue about people in general and the nastiness of the world and it always shows.
People who live for and by word will always have a tendency towards solutions that sound nice, rather than what actually works.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So wait, are you for or against defunding the police?
Has that ever been properly defined because Ive heard different people who advocate this but their idea of what it means in practice is so different that what one considers defunding the police another would not
It is of course contextual as well - is this definding police in the US, the UK, worldwide?
i think for anybody to have a thought out rational view of is they are for or against "de-funding the police" the onus is on the advocates to put forward coherent proposals as to what they mean by that, how they would implement these changes, over what time period, who would be accountable for it and who would have what oversight.

Is reassessing how we approach social and criminal issues and particularly the deliniation / crossover between them something people are for or against - for me the answer to that would be yes... is defunding the police the way to achieve that - again tell people what that entails otherwise its a three word slogan like take back control or get brexit done ... as has been proven three word slogans can be effective in a vote but this isnt a voting issue its a complex issue of funding, defining roles and not something a three word "defund the police" slogan explains - so until people extrapolate what their vision of defunf the police is its impossible to say if one agrees with it - and only when we have multiple thought out models will people actually be able to see what works in a broader context.

Policing by consent is a fundamental principal in the UK and in order to maintain that any re-imagining of the duties also needs to be a process which carries broad consent and that requires a better explanation than "defund the police" as that is such a broad church i doubt even the advocates could agree on a single approach to it.

Any change management takes time and is an iterative process and it feels to me we might be at the start of that process but unless people seeking that change come up with comprehensive, pragmatic solutions as to what defund the police means that process will quickly grind to a halt and fractionally fracture

Last edited:

EwanI Ted

Dont quite follow you here, are you suggesting that "community based" projects would be untrained volunteers and/or members of the public?

Maticmaker

As for the dismantle capitalism aspect of BLM’s view, that’s a debate for another thread, but basically their view is racism is an inescapable product of capitalist systems, based on an analysis of the origins of racism as we conceive of it today, and as part of the concept of class conflict that capitalism inherently causes. That’s my understanding of it, anyway.
Maybe where the old saying "money is the root of all evil" came from?

Ludens the Red

People who live for and by word will always have a tendency towards solutions that sound nice, rather than what actually works.
Yup..

Dont quite follow you here, are you suggesting that "community based" projects would be untrained volunteers and/or members of the public?
Obviously not, the idea is that it’s for newly trained personnel to take on these newly formed roles/jobs. My point is there isn’t going to be a long queue of people forming to take on these jobs and the majority who would do it would be the same people who do policing.
I genuinely don’t know what planet some people are living on. This idea that there is a pool of untapped personnel waiting out there ready to put themselves in the line of fire in domestic, drug and mental health incidents for moderate pay.

EwanI Ted

Obviously not, the idea is that it’s for newly trained personnel to take on these newly formed roles/jobs. My point is there isn’t going to be a long queue of people forming to take on these jobs and the majority who would do it would be the same people who do policing.
I genuinely don’t know what planet some people are living on. This idea that there is a pool of untapped personnel waiting out there ready to put themselves in the line of fire in domestic, drug and mental health incidents for moderate pay.
Not sure why you think this, there are thousands of projects across the UK doing just the kind of stuff we're talking about, recruitment is never an issue.

RedChip

Probably capitalism ==> inequality <== racism, but BLM will not win the battle by fighting to dismantle capitalism, it just muddies the waters. That's a related but different fight. I find this and it annoys me in my race equality charter: loads of people join because they just want to fight the 'system', whatever that means. We end up directionless and toothless.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Not sure why you think this, there are thousands of projects across the UK doing just the kind of stuff we're talking about, recruitment is never an issue.
And it’s a sign of a broken system that we conceive of officers needing to put themselves in ‘the line of fire’ for issues like drugs, domestic abuse and mental health. If you’re regularly using a police force to deal with that, the remedy is clearly not in more police, but in preventative measures and investing in services designed specifically to tackle these areas.

Fingeredmouse

I believe there is...and the pay doesn't need to be moderate

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Probably capitalism ==> inequality <== racism, but BLM will not win the battle by fighting to dismantle capitalism, it just muddies the waters. That's a related but different fight. I find this and it annoys me in my race equality charter: loads of people join because they just want to fight the 'system', whatever that means. We end up directionless and toothless.
The people at the heart of such movements are nearly always going to be radical and strongly ideological in a way that most find off-putting. BLM’s leaders would not say it’s a different fight but at the very centre of it. It’s a tough question though as what you’re saying is entirely correct. Mainly, I’d say people should not be put off demonstrating with BLM and supporting it even if they may not share its ideological zeal - the more support it has, the more pressure for the system to reform, thereby quelling more radical voices within the movement too. And judging by the increased support for the movement, I don’t think it’s underlying ideology can be deterring people in any substantial number.

RedChip

BLM’s leaders would not say it’s a different fight but at the very centre of it.
I am sure they do. I don't think it is helpful for the movement, though. I would guess, though, it is an age thing as well: I speak now as someone who has been in too many similar fights that we didn't win and have come to the conclusion we should be more clear what we are fighting for and what we want. Otherwise movements like this get lumped with others in the public's mind, to their detriment.

Ludens the Red

Except it is once you factor in the initial interaction element which makes a massive difference because it’s unpredictable, it’s not in a controlled environment, it could be at any time day or night. Like I said in my first post, there are mental health workers, ambulance workers and social services workers Who are not comfortable in confrontational situations. This is why even though they have their own powers they always call police to assist them.
I believe there is...and the pay doesn't need to be moderate

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

Shades of Occupy already.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I am sure they do. I don't think it is helpful for the movement, though. I would guess, though, it is an age thing as well: I speak now as someone who has been in too many similar fights that we didn't win and have come to the conclusion we should be more clear what we are fighting for and what we want. Otherwise movements like this get lumped with others in the public's mind, to their detriment.
Yeah tactically it’s a tough decision. The issue I have is I get the impression most of the people who see BLM’s opposition to capitalism and use that as a reason for not supporting it would be uncomfortable with it anyway. Is it fair to say BLM have not been clear about what they want though? The issue here seems to be the opposite, as they’ve made a number of transparent demands, and it’s the substance itself that’s causing controversy.

Black members must be leaving in decent numbers for him to feel the need to comment, given he hasn't bothered for days.
Only anecdotal and of dubious veracity but yes the word is Labour’s membership numbers have suffered in recent months and especially among its BAME members - although that’s probably not a bad thing for Starmer, if not outright desired.

EwanI Ted

Except it is once you factor in the initial interaction element which makes a massive difference because it’s unpredictable, it’s not in a controlled environment, it could be at any time day or night. Like I said in my first post, there are mental health workers, ambulance workers and social services workers Who are not comfortable in confrontational situations. This is why even though they have their own powers they always call police to assist them.
Is it clear now ?
I’m talking about outreach services where these staff are the first port of call for people having mental health episodes, rough sleepers causing problems, sex workers and their pimps, and so on. As in, they literally walk around town at night looking for these clients and work with them. I assume this isn’t a sector you’re familiar with, but if you think the police are the only people doing this kind of work you’re wrong.