Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Smores

the broadest part of that electorate - not just a fringe echo chamber
So there's a 3% difference in total vote of the two elections we're discussing. What element is the fringe echo chamber? And the missing 3% gap is the broadest part?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Where's it been announced masks are going to be worn in English schools?

Sweet Square

Where's it been announced masks are going to be worn in English schools?
I got it from here. Hasn't been announced yet but soon to be. Also even if it isn't teachers are seemingly going to ask students to wear masks anyway.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Sir Keith Starmer has welcomed the news, proclaiming " Can I just shock you? I like the idea of face masks in schools. Despite what I just said earlier."
Antagonises the left, antagonises the unions, in the process fails to attach himself to a successful cause that protects the safety of workers and children. Glad we have a real opposition back at last.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Getting outflanked by the Tories on the left again. Johnson will feck off in a year or so, Sunak will become PM, and he’ll run on a virtually identical or even more radical economic agenda than Labour at this rate. Labour’s invisibility in defining the economic contours of a post-COVID world is suicidal, the same mistake made over the last decade with the economic crash and austerity.

Fluctuation0161

@sun_tzu but I thought teachers were idiots for thinking the DfE advice was inadequate and for thinking they knew better than official government advice which was obviously designed with the best epidemiologists ever?
you won't get a reply until he's read the latest Guido take on the matter.

Shockingly poor leadership, not taking the chance to unite the party, teachers and unions for a just cause. Instead he has offered no support to workers, alienated all groups above and then U turned at the same time as the government anyway.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
you won't get a reply until he's read the latest Guido take on the matter.

Shockingly poor leadership, not taking the chance to unite the party, teachers and unions for a just cause. Instead he has offered no support to workers, alienated all groups above and then U turned at the same time as the government anyway.
The depressing thing is his posts are actually somehow worse in the absence of a steer from Guido. Impressive achievement, in a way.

Echo all that about Starmer too. With the Tories staying pretty left (by their standards) it doesn’t make sense to just appeal down the middle.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The Labour Party have certainly done that.
They’ve avoided being accused of undermining the government in a time of crisis, and allowed the stupid Tory bastards to hang themselves with their own rope. It’s a winning strategy at the moment.

Ubik

Why are you all so obssessed with polls 4 years before an election
Kinda funny that you always know if it's a bad one or a good one based on who's posted though.

Dobba

They’ve avoided being accused of undermining the government in a time of crisis, and allowed the stupid Tory bastards to hang themselves with their own rope. It’s a winning strategy at the moment.
With Cummings, Robert Jenrick and Gavin Williamson still all safely in their jobs and their respective scandals well out of the headlines, surely nobody could accuse Sir Keith of undermining this government?

Must be a new version of winning where you're demonstrably not winning.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
With Cummings, Robert Jenrick and Gavin Williamson still all safely in their jobs and their respective scandals well out of the headlines, surely nobody could accuse Sir Keith of undermining this government?

Must be a new version of winning where you're demonstrably not winning.
We have basically one metric to measure winning and that’s the polls. Having a bunch of incompetent, corrupt tossers still in their roles means there will doubtless be many more scandals to come.

Dobba

We have basically one metric to measure winning and that’s the polls. Having a bunch of incompetent, corrupt tossers still in their roles means there will doubtless be many more scandals to come.
Can imagine they're terrified at Tory HQ that these scandals will be met with the devastating shoulder shrugs that saw to Dominic Cummings', Robert Jenrick and Gavin Williamson's political careers.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
So after losing by a landslide they’re now neck and neck. Can people finally start to calm the feck down a bit with the Starmer attacks?
I remember Labour leading in the polls under Corbyn and if anything that made the attacks worse. I’m sure if I was arsed enough I could find posts from yourself condemning Corbyn while Labour was level or ahead in the polls.

Sweet Square

Why are you all so obssessed with polls 4 years before an election
Isn't the argument from centre "left" that all this weird flag fecking and racism is needed to be electable ?

If it isn't about polling then why do they want Labour to move to right ?

The answer is the centre left is in reality right wing.

RedChip

Sunak will become PM, and he’ll run on a virtually identical or even more radical economic agenda than Labour at this rate.
That assumes the rest of his party would let him do as he pleases, which, after Johnson, I think is unlikely. They are Tories, after all; they will rebel.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
That assumes the rest of his party would let him do as he pleases, which, after Johnson, I think is unlikely. They are Tories, after all; they will rebel.
The Tories, for all their drama and in-fighting, are remarkably good at focusing on retaining power when needed. If they sense that Sunak is their best bet, which is likely, they'll back him with relatively minimal fuss when the moment comes.

RedChip

The Tories, for all their drama and in-fighting, are remarkably good at focusing on retaining power when needed. If they sense that Sunak is their best bet, which is likely, they'll back him with relatively minimal fuss when the moment comes.
We shall see. It seems to me they were prepared to tolerate Johnson's feint towards the economic left to get Brexit done and because deep down they don't believe he will see it through. Can Sunak get away with even half the stuff they let Johnson do? Would their wealthy donors and cheer leader press? I doubt it. Already there are rumblings about the Covid-19 spend.

Fluctuation0161

So after losing by a landslide they’re now neck and neck. Can people finally start to calm the feck down a bit with the Starmer attacks?
Neck and neck, like they were from 2017 until 2019. Just before Labour chose the disastrous (in hindsight) election policy of a second referendum on BREXIT.

Ubik

Neck and neck, like they were from 2017 until 2019. Just before Labour chose the disastrous (in hindsight) election policy of a second referendum on BREXIT.
At the risk of re-litigating this yet again and boring everyone - the Tories took the lead when they exchanged their very unpopular leader for a more popular one. Labour's fall in support prior to that was by at least a 2-1 margin to remain supporting parties. Labour's hedging position prior to moving to the second referendum (a policy pushed for by McDonnell and Abbott, not just Starmer) was unpopular among all voters. Saying they would re-negotiate Johnson's deal in the election and leave with that was not going to win them back many Leave voters.